Top 10 Halloween List

Discussion in 'General' started by Grim, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Latency

Latency Guest

This thread started off good with detaled explainations of each movie and why they are ideal for halloween..... but now people are just slapping together quick lists. I personally skim over the ones that lack content.

I'm gonna sit down and work on a detailed list .... some of you can do the same if you wish :)

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

To tell the truth, I don't see the point in Halloween top ten lists. I always just watch what I am in the mood to watch on Halloween-- anyway, it's easy for me than to make a list. After that, I can just make a list out of all the movies I watched that day.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I don't really think of it as a list of movies I'm going to watch, just a list of my top 10 reccomendations for Halloween this year.

4. Numania

Numania Guest

Here are my movies, with details, for guys like myself and Latency (and I'm drunk...) . Plus, I didn't take the time to look at other people's lists, so if facts repeat, don't yell at me.

... no particular order ...

1. Nightmare on Elm Street - This is one of my favorite movies, and just about as creepy as slasher movies come. You can't escape your dreams, therefore, you can't escape Freddy...or can you?

2. Return of the Living Dead - Probably the ultimate fun movie for horror fans. Dead Alive is one of my faves, but this movie kills me every time. Great zombies...hilarity...excellente muchacho!

3. The Exorcist "The Version You've Never Seen" - I love the Exorcist, and this is the best version I have seen of it. I really don't know what else to say about this.

4. The Wicker Man - This movie is cool as shit. It's like the British cautionary tale in response to the American (TCM, The Hills Have Eyes, Last House...) tales, except earlier (save for Last House)!!! Christopher Lee is great, and the soundtrack is awesome. It sums up the pagan experience ...HALLOWEEN!!!

5. Suspiria - I think that this is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. I know people don't agree, but wow! I watched this the other night and was in awe. This is a great movie with a great soundtrack. I think this captures horror and Halloween perfectly.

6. The Beyond - I think this was my first jaunt into Euro-horror... I love it. Sure it's not very linear or anything, but I love it. As with the above, the soundtrack is fantastic. This is my favorite Fulci movie, I think.

7. Event Horizon - Is it Sci-fi or horror? Or possibly Sci-hor? Either way, I think this movie is wicked great and I love it. Space, technology, and gore. Can you beat that?

8. Braindead - Dead Alive is one of my favorite movies ever...EVER!!! I have the 104 minute cut and I love it! I would eat this movie if I thought it would make me ... heh? I don't know. I love it. LOVE!

9. Shock Waves - This is a great zombie movie. I wouldn't watch Romero movies on Halloween because they're different. I need zombies that aren't as smart. Sure, every other day of the year I'm all about Romero zombies, but dude, Halloween needs Nazi zombies! Especially these cats! Great shit...

10. Bloodsucking Pharaohs In Pittsburgh - Comedy is a hard thing to work into horror properly. I think this one does a great job of it. I could watch this movie almost all of the time. It makes me laugh, has some gore, and is a semi-mystery. By the time you get to this, you should be drunk. And at that point, this'll be the best movie ever. ahhha
    Booze...

Well, these are the movies that I'd watch on Halloween if it were long enough to hold all of these movies, sleep, work, and disaster drunkenness.

5. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

Psycho
    Dead Of Night
    Bride Of Frankenstein
    Naked Blood
    Videodrome
    Dellamorte Dellamore
    Psycho
    Dawn Of The Dead
    Cure
    The Omen

No order... I just tried to think of the ten horror movies I enjoyed the most and wrote down those ten in about 20 seconds.

6. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

I know Alien isn't a "halloween" movie. But with it coming to theatres on 10/29, I added it. I'm sure most on this board will be seeing it. I can't wait. And with AMC running horror all next week, it puts me in the halloween mood.

7. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

1. The Haunting (1963)
    2. The Exorcist (Version You've Never Seen)
    3. Black Christmas
    4. The Woman In Black
    5. The Changeling
    6. The Innocents (1961)
    7. Alien/Aliens
    8. The Thing (1982)
    9. An American Werewolf In London
    10. Suspiria

8. Here are my top ten horror movies for Halloween:

10)The Fog
    9)Return of the Living Dead
    8)Ringu
    7)Re-Animator
    6)Sleepaway Camp 2:Unhappy Campers
    5)Hellraiser
    4)The Evil Dead
    3)Night of the Demons
    2)Evil Dead 2
    1)Halloween

9. Chad

Chad Member

I don't really have a top 10 list, but what would Halloween be without Elvira? So I have to add "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" ...AND "Elvira's Haunted Hills" ain't bad either. I love love the idea of having a parody of the old Vincent Price Poe flicks.

10. LJMurder

LJMurder Guest

here's my top 10.

10. Visible Secret
    9. Session 9
    8. Hellraiser
    7. Children of the Corn
    6. Nightbreed
    5. Audition
    4. Dark Water (honogurai mizu no soko kara)
    3. Night of the Living Dead
    2. Ju-on
    1. Ju-on 2

11. PELOQUIN

PELOQUIN New Member

my 2003 top 10 halloween list

now for halloween theres some fundamental basic that applies,

a chiling climat, atmosphere.
    a classic monster (vampires,werewolfs,zombies,demons and ghosts)
    a good and intriging story,
    some efficient scares
    and good score!

10 - Halloween :
    no halloween is complete without Carpenter's slasher flick
    everything in it is base around Halloween american folklcore.
    for me this film will always be in my top ten for having all the
    good ingredients of an halloween movie without the fantasy
    of horror movies.

09 - An American Werewolf in London :
    now lets not forget werewolfs, this movie
    is for me the last good werewolf film made
    or maybe the best one made, but the
    suspence is remarkable at the beginning
    all due to the howling effect.still gives me
    chills. an the visual effects are fun to watch
    again.

08 - Nightbreed :
    now im a big Barker fan and this film shows alot of is twisted
    horror imagination of is complexe monster world. the movie
    lacks in alot of ways but manage to pull it off at the end.
    theres alot of gore and the atmosphere is very creepy. the
    monsters are everywhere and thats what makes it a gem.
    the visual are well orchestrated and fun to watch. each time
    that i show this movie no one is desapointed.

07 - Dagon :
    now, still stuck in the monster realm but this time HP lovecraft style
    this movie is an hidden gem its new it have cool climats, its a
    roller coaster ride from beginning to end. the stress the action
    gore, suspence, atmosphere you have everything!

06 - Evil Dead :
    ahahah, a cult classic that still delivers, man "l'opera de la terreur"
    french title, is one good halloween horror movie your scared
    you laught and your horrified with gore. cant past this one!!!

05 - The Exorcist :
    lets get serious, this film is probably one of the scariest horror
    film out there the storyline is so deep and credible that you dont
    need gore or anything to be scare just the begining is crazy
    enough to set the standard high, very high!

04 - Ringu :
    hey! this is good sh$#! well made not too much of visual effect,
    excellent story and good intrigue. and to top it all it is scary and freaky!

03 - Night of the Living Dead :
    Romero's classic, this is the horror film of all time!
    that film launch every horror film that are made now.
    thats not a movie to watch alone. itd old its b&w
    no budget but its DAMN good en effective. :nervous:

02 - Suspiria :
    there's my weak spot im a big itilian film fan, now it probably doesnt
    suit the halloween climat but it has everything else i mean everything
    and to top it all it stand in a category of its own, this film is beautiful
    and captivating and ive watch it with many poeple some horror and
    non-horror fan and each time its win/win situation this movie stands
    by its own and deserve every credit for that.

01 - 28 Days Later :
    finally a breeze of fresh air, horror movies since the mid and last
    90 have been too money easy teen oriented, and basicly full of
    crap! but this one boy did it scared us or what, man everything
    in it is new, visual, monsters, strory telling. strip down every
    horror movies are the same, good bad, bad want to kill good etc.
    but the paste the texture the use of the art of cinematography
    is original. the movie is fast, smart, horrific... this film, this year, is
    my #1 choice for halloween and may even becomes a cult fav.

Thats about it for this year,

btw
    Im doing an Halloween-o-rama im showing at my place
    all weeks night a movie : this year theme is new horror

im showing : devil's backbone, ringu, dagon, hellraiser:hellseeker, 28 days later.
    not my favorite choices but good ones

12. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

As somebody mentioned in an earlier post: Halloween film festivals are events for some people.....although I find that it's just more of the same from what I watch throughout the year anyway.....

Before rolling out the 2003 Halloween Top 10 list, a few points:

Like last year's list, I have tried to stay away from films which don't seem to just quite fit into the Halloween mode....

In addition, I don't like repeating titles from the previous year's list, so be sure to check the 2002 list for even more suggestions....

Unlike last year, this IS my actual viewing list (although not in the same order of showing as the list) for this year......broken over a three day schedule...

O.K....grab some pumpkin pie and let's fire up the remotes........

Like last year, I would like to suggest watching some of The Simpsons:Treehouse of Horror before getting to the main fare. I have been watching an episode each night before each block of movies, as it's a good way to settle in and, for those with little ones, it gives the kiddies something to watch as they get ready for trick-or-treating adventures...

Then, on to the main fare....

1.RINGU- I'm not going to knock the American remake (THE RING), because I feel that it works on some levels, but I enjoy the slower-pacing and the minimalist approach of the original Japanese version. And in the race to be the creepiest villians of their respective films, Sadako (RINGU) edges Samara (THE RING)........by an eye......

2.THE FRIGHTENERS- The next time you see a ghost, don't just recoil in fear......think about making the apparition work for you. That's exactly what Frank Bannister (Michael J. Fox) , psychic investigator/ghostbuster/con-man, does. And
    business is good, until a deadly specter shows up to raise the stakes. A tricky mix of comedy and horror, THE FRIGHTENERS has a way of growing on you after repeat viewings.

3.MAY- Sure it's still October, but try focusing on MAY for the next 93 minutes. That's May Dove Canady (Angela Bettis), to be exact. May is a troubled young woman: a social misfit, suffering from a disturbed childhood, May only wants to find "the perfect man"......and she finally gets an opportunity when she meets Adam (Jeremy Sisto), who, "likes weird". Well, Adam soon discovers that May goes beyond
    "weird" (losing blood while making out is never a good sign) and leaves her.....forcing May to "make" her own companion.....a gruesome quest which climaxes, fittingly enough, on a Halloween night......
    The main draw of MAY is the performance of May by Angela Bettis, who fleshes May out perfectly: May is equal parts creepy, sad, and awkward, while also being sexy, quirky, and endearing. May would be the perfect Halloween date:she can bite my bottom lip anytime...

4.FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3- I acknowledge that the FRIDAY THE 13TH series is exploitive slasher trash, but I will also admit that PART 3 is fun exploitive slasher trash. For my money, Richard Booker's Jason is the best Jason...physically imposing (unlike the runt Jason of Part 2) and actually able to RUN after his victims! What a concept! Jason even gets to kill a lawyer (Larry Zerner) in this installment..........so that alone should make this required viewing............

5.HALLOWEEN- I passed on John Carpenter's masterpiece for last year's list because a certain sequel (HALLOWEEN III:SEASON OF THE WITCH) actually impressed me more, in terms of getting the Halloween vibe down. However, at the end of the day, the original HALLOWEEN is the better film overall and was bound to make a list one year.....and I'll be damned if I'm going to omit HALLOWEEN off a top ten list less than a week after its 25th anniversary date.....

6.VAMPIRE HUNTER D- In the distant future a young woman, who has been bitten by a vampire, is aided by the mysterious vampire hunter "D". A classic piece of anime that delivers on the atmosphere and carnage.....while introducing an unforgettable anti-hero in the process.......

7.IDENTITY-A dark and stormy night. Ten strangers stranded at a seedy motel. And a killer is among them. If IDENTITY sounds like one long horror movie cliche,
    (there's even a nod to PSYCHO, with an updated shower curtain murder)
    well, it is....but there's a rhyme
    (literally)
    and a reason behind the proceedings... I won't say anymore...just enjoy the great performances...enjoy the journey.......and enjoy one of the best films of 2003....

8."Amelia" from TRILOGY OF TERROR and "The Crate"from CREEPSHOW- Yeah, I kinda, sorta cheated here....taking the best two stories from their respective anthologies. The underlying theme here: critters with sharp teeth are not to be taken lightly. Whether it's the relentless Zuni Fetish Doll from "Amelia" or the insatiable appetite of "Fluffy" from CREEPSHOW, there's a good time to be had with these two classic segments. That's the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth....

9.EVIL DEAD II- This was just a natural progression from starting last year's list with THE EVIL DEAD. I can't imagine not sharing the holiday festivities with Ash and friends. Not to mention, experiencing one of the all-time great endings.........simply perfect!

10.DEEP RED- DEEP RED falls just behind SUSPIRIA as one of Dario Argento's best films. Pianist Marcus witnesses a murder one night and starts his own investigation to find the killer. Par for the Argento course, we have brutal murders and highly-stylized scenes....including some creepy childhood flashbacks and an unnerving robot puppet.....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  13. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Like Mission said, I watch that kind of crap all year. So I'll probably pick out a romantic comedy for Halloween, just for a change of pace.

dmeister

14. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

To paraphrase the great Vincent Vega: "If you ever watch a romantic comedy on Halloween, I'm gonna shoot you on general principle."