Titane 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by russweiss, Oct 2, 2021.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Bizarre French film that is definitely not for mainstream audiences. This had a limited opening in my area. I went in blind not having seen the trailer or read anything about it. Starts out as a serial killer film but quickly moves into outrageous fantasy. The cinematography and acting are well done but I can't personally recommend it. Some violence and graphic nudity.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I loved Titane. Caught it theatrically at the beginning of Oct. It's the new film from Julia Decournau, the director of Raw, and is a head-trip for sure and proves she's an extremely talented filmmaker with a vision. It boldly melds a surprisingly tender story of loss and longing against a backdrop of Cronenbergian body horror, Gaspar Noe-style French Extreme, with a lead character who may be a serial killer. It's definitely not for everyone as it's a challenging film that intersects many genres, but it's definitely worthy of the effort in my opinion.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Coming to VOD this coming Tuesday, October 19th.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I found Raw to be a bit overrated and not something I'd ever care to revisit, so I was kind of expecting the same here with Titane. After seeing it, I should have just waited the extra three weeks and blind-bought the blu-ray because I really loved this one and will definitely be picking up the disc anyway.

I hadn't delved much into this beforehand, simply knowing it was about a woman who gets kinky with cars and kills people. That is how the movie starts, but the movie is smart enough to know better than to coast on shock value alone, so by the thirty minute mark it was already headed somewhere else that I didn't expect and from there I had no idea where the movie was going. It does have the shock value and transgressive nature from beginning to end, but there's also an engaging thriller going on as well as lots of exploration of gender that is so much more rich and complex than the simpleton "women good men bad" approach that movies have been taking for the past few years.

Easily one of the year's best. For the adventurous genre fans out there, Titane is not to be missed.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Absolutely want to see it. I'm still not sure how I feel about Raw, I need to give it another viewing. I can't tell if I liked it because it was a good movie, or because Garance Marillier (who's also in Titane, big plus there) is too beautiful for words.