The Wolf Of Snow Hollow - October 9th, 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 18, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The Wolf Of Snow Hollow

Coming to VOD on October 9th from Orion.

Thunder Road writer/director/star now writes/directs/stars in a winter-set werewolf horror movie.

It's also the final film of the late Robert Forster.

Looks great!

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I thought it looked OK, setting is nice. I thought the acting were a bit amateurish in a couple of scenes. And I'm expecting great things from the werewolf costume. But I love werewolf movies so I hope it proves me wrong!

3. CPT HOOK

This was... different. Good thing I like different. It's not going to be for everyone though, especially those who just want werewolf mayhem. It might be helpful to see Thunder Road before this, as Jim Cummings is more or less playing the same character here, only tasked with solving a werewolf case. If you're not familiar with that character, you're likely to find him obnoxious and unlikable here.

It reminded me of the kind of movie Glass Eye Pix would make. It's very unique. The winter atmosphere is top notch.

Colin likes this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I watched the whole trailer. I want to see more winter horror movies. But this comes off as too comedic. I've never seen or heard of Thunder Road before. So I'll wiki that to see what it's about.

5. CPT HOOK

The Wolf Of Snow Hollow is coming to blu-ray on December 15th:

[​IMG]
    The Blu-ray and DVD will include the featurette: “The Story and the Genre”

The Blu-ray will also include the featurettes:
    “The Impetus”
    “Working With Jim Cummings”
    “The Design of the Werewolf”

Colin and russweiss like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

Blu-ray is available today.

Just got mine in the mail from Target along with MVD's Guncrazy.

WOLFSNOW.png

It looks like Target is also carrying the blu-ray in store for the low price of $14.99.

Anyone interested in taking a chance on something a little out there and different, The Wolf Of Snow Hollow is highly recommended.

baggio likes this.
  7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Walmart has the dvd but they didn't put out the 3 I went for will try another Walmart thursday. I wanted the call,beach house and dark and the wicked. It pisses me off cause they show 4 copies each on hand in store. They also had another movie called beast mode kinda looked interesting.

8. CPT HOOK

Stop in Target and grab the blu-ray instead. $14.99.

Also, Best Buy is carrying The Dark And The Wicked blu-ray in store for $12.99.

Dark and Beach House are fair watches, but neither are movies I'd ever go back to. The Call was just flat out bad.

fceurich39 likes this.
  9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Yeah gonna pass on beach house and the call I'll probably get wolf of snow hollow and beast mode later this week. Might get dark and the wicked since I like The Strangers and The Monster that Bryan bertino did but mockingbird not so much.

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My wife and I watched this today. The movie was enjoyable overall. The director did a bad job of trying to weave comedy throughout the film. I think it would have worked better had it been played seriously. Something I didn't understand was the sheriff in the film. He was the main character and acted fairly psychotic. He was always shouting at people or putting down his employees. He didn't get along with his father, daughter, ex-wife or basically anyone in the movie. He was in charge but acted like a 10 year old who stopped taking his meds. Very unbelievable character.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I probably wouldn't buy a copy of Beach House either, but it was a very enjoyable Shudder watch.

12. CPT HOOK

The lead actor in the film, Jim Cummings, is also the writer and director. A few years ago he made an acclaimed $200K indie that he wrote, directed, and stars in called Thunder Road, which is about a cop who is going through an emotional breakdown while dealing with the death of his mother and a nasty divorce / custody battle, all the while having to show up for work at his job as an authority figure. I guess it's the idea that these authority figures and people we look to for help or to enforce the rules are really just flawed, messed-up human beings too.

In The Wolf Of Snow Hollow, he is technically playing a different character... but he's pretty much playing his same character from Thunder Road (which is why I mentioned it might be helpful to have seen that before, but not necessary). He can definitely be an extremely abrasive and polarizing character, but having seen Thunder Road before, I was already sort of accustomed to his antics. I think the idea was to take that character and drop him into a horror movie, where the stakes are higher. Instead of the straight-laced professional by-the-book savior cops we typically see in these movies, here the entire force is kind of bumbling and their leader is an adult man-baby who is going through personal issues and prone to temper tantrums. It's kind of like the whole "everyman" Bruce Willis in the original Die Hard, only where Bruce comes through in the pinch... this guy not so much. Some people rise up under pressure, but this guy crumbles. There's also a lot in the movie about toxic masculinity, especially with the most professional and level-headed of these cops (Riki Lindhome) as sort of an outlier to the boys club.

For me, it gave an already unique werewolf movie an even more unique feel, but I can see how it won't be for everyone.

Colin likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

Target Circle has a 20% off coupon, dropping the blu-ray price to $11.99.

Amazon is also matching the deal with a $3 off coupon.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just saw this one last night and didn't care for it. What turned me off was the obnoxious lead character (played by the director). Now, I'm not one of those people who demands that the protagonist in a film be "likeable", in fact I do indeed prefer realistic and flawed characters. But he was just over-the-top shitty, practically moustache-twirling, and takes it in the exact opposite direction of the goody-goody perfect-all-the-time lead character in many movies, in this case being unrealistically obnoxious.

Which is too bad, because there's an interesting premise here that is the opposite of a lot of horror movies in that the killer
    is not the mythical creature, just someone in a costume
    but I'd already tuned out due to the bad acting and shitty lead.