The Resonator: Miskatonic U (Full Moon - "From Beyond" remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 16, 2021.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I was at the HorrorHound convention last weekend and stopped by Full Moon's table. This movie was among the hand full I picked up. It came out earlier this year but don't recall many people talking about it. It's a modern "remake" of "From Beyond". For a 2021 Full Moon movie, it's actually pretty good I thought. They used various practical effects and the acting is better than usual (for FM). The movie is short, barely clocking over a hour, but I enjoyed it. They did have a special cameo at the end of the movie, introducing the
    Herbert West
    character. Worth checking out.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Seems a bit like a Syfy movie. I only saw the original From Beyond fairly recently. That's a crazy movie.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just watched it now. While nowhere near as good as the original I agree that this is decent for a modern Full Moon flick.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Is it available to stream anywhere?

Edit: I found a rip :D

Zombie Dude and hots4 like this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, for a modern Full Moon production, it was better than usual.
    Though whoever did the VFX for the gunshots, should be ashamed of himself. Some of the worst I've ever seen, and sadly it took me out of the moment, during the climax.
    But I liked the practical creatures.

Wonder if they're making a new Re-animator after this?

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I found it on a torrenting site and only new what it was due to this thread.

The story itself was super basic so I can't say the idea of a new Re-Animator like this is very appealing. I liked the idea of that particular character showing up at the end, but it mainly made me want to go watch those original movies.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

What?! You've never heard of Full Moon??

But yes, that's them. They formed out of Empire Pictures and run by Charles Band and were a staple of direct-to-video horror in the late-80s to mid-90s with the Puppet Master films, Trancers, Dollman, etc. They never made great movies, but they had a formula and were fun (mostly) with some pizza and a cold drink and their Video Zone's that appeared before or after their features on the VHS were always a blast, offering a behind-the-scenes look into the world of low-budget horror and sci-fi film-making. They became quite well known as they had a deal with Paramount back in the day, so they got pretty wide distribution back in the home video days. They are still pumping out flicks, but their quality has increasingly gone downhill for mostly the worse and most of their new movies since the later 2000s are cheap, digital productions made by people who aren't great at making movies.

But from the talk on here, sounds like The Resonator is at least a gem in the current rough that is modern Full Moon.

Steel76 and russweiss like this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I didn't think much of The Resonator. At only 64 minutes it's an extremely short movie so it doesn't really get a chance to be boring. The characters however are uninteresting and the FX are pretty cheesy. The constant CGI ruined most of the practical effects (several still had the annoying pink light superimposed on them). I would also be against a Re-Animator reimagining if it's the same caliber as this.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I can't think of a worthwhile Full Moon movie since 2003, and even those are more guilty pleasure than actually worthwhile. The Dead Hate The Living and Sideshow in 2000 are probably the last genuine-feeling Full Moon movies for me.

Corona Zombies alone cements that I have no desire to check out their new output.

Zombie Dude and hots4 like this.
  11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched something recently from full moon something with the tiger king (not sure what it was called). It was free and I was curious, it was about 65 minutes long and that was about 64 minutes too much! It was awful with no redeemable qualities. I would watch the resonator for curiosity but I'm in no rush to watch anything else from them.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've found a stream of this, but it says episode one and is 39 minutes long? Was it going to be a TV series? I presume what you guys hsve seen is two episodes put together? Colour me confused!

13. ImmortalSlasher

Many times I don't pay that much attention to studios. Blame that on Star Wars and Alien. I like how you get into the movie with those first shots or a notable intro. But I have seen some of their movies. I didn't check the full wiki list at first.