The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 12th

THE FRENCHMAN'S GARDEN (1978)

[​IMG]

Juan Andrés Aldije (Paul Naschy) owns an inn near Seville during the early 20th century. Business is pretty steady between the bar, gambling, and prostitutes he manages along with his right hand man José (José Calvo). As if that weren't enough to stay busy, the duo continue to murder and rob wealthy people. The corpses get buried in the garden. Needless to say, Juan spends ample time tending to his secret project - especially in the late night hours. His wife Elvira (Julia Saly) knows nothing about the murders or the fact that he is screwing all of the prostitutes on the payroll. What she does know is that Juan spends a lot more time in the damn garden than with her.

When this title was first announced by Mondo Macabro, my interest level was rather low. I have seen some of Paul Naschy's films without monsters and enjoyed them. At first under the impression this was just a standard historical drama, I later read further to see that this was in fact a serial killer film based on actual events. Be prepared for a slower paced story, no getting around that compared to most of his horror output. Naschy gets to act more in this one, bringing to life a human monster with barely any redeeming qualities. Julia Saly appeared in many Naschy films, also playing his wife in Panic Beats (1983) and the vampire Countess Bathory in Night of the Werewolf (1981) among others.

Paul Naschy films are spread out between a number of different labels. Mondo Macabro does the best work of them all. A new commentary track along with two Naschy interviews are included in the bonus materials.

2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 13

54. Kin Dread (2021) Prime - Kind of an odd movie about a guy who is fairly hi-tech and has some form of retrograde amnesia. He doesn't like to leave his abode and relies on his friend to set up spy devices such as mics and the such. People start getting killed in his apartment complex and he has to find a way to overcome his issues to help save people he cares about. The movie was interesting enough I guess and even though I should have pegged the killer, I kind of missed it.

55. The Manor (2021) Prime - Barbara Hershey stars in this recent movie where she is diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and is taken to a facility where she can be cared for. Things start to happen and due to other doctor diagnosis even her family doesn't believe what she is telling them. It seems that there might be a kill list and it turns into a race against time to avoid her turn. This movie kind of makes you think. Putting loved ones in care centers where decisions aren't necessarily there own anymore and the fact that everyone thought she was just hallucinating and losing her made added an edge to the whole thing. It was a bit slow at first and then became engaging. A bit of an odd ending though.

56. House Hunting (2012) Prime - A couple of families go to a house looking at the possibility of buying it but as they leave, they end up coming back to the house no matter where they try to go. Things get a lot stranger as the movie progresses. I liked the movie to a point but felt it was a bit long with the subject material involved. Good performance by Marc Singer in this one.

57. Oculus (2013) Blu - A woman tries to exonerate her brother of a murder charge by proving that the murder was committed by supernatural powers. The story involves a very old mirror that plays into the storyline. This movie was pretty confusing. You had to pay pretty good attention as things go back and forth at a fast pace. Multiple characters of the same people etc. Probably need a second viewing before I decide how much I like it or don't like it.

~Rocker10

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 17:
    Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
    Rewatch (Indicator UK Blu-ray)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    13. THE RUBY ANNIVERSARY: Watch something that came out in 1981. The redder the better, right Ben?

Worth it to see more experienced craftsmen and performers make a typical '80s slasher, but it's way too long and the twist is such a cheat.

Angelman, Rocker10, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 13th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

31) Sundown: Vampire in Retreat: A clan of vampires try to coexist in a sleepy western town as a power struggle unfolds. I somehow never heard of this until it was released on dvd a few years back. Director Anthony Hickox is quite over ambitious here, cramming a lot of world building into what is a unique take on the vampire lore. The film is hurt by the large cast, and many subplots, which only bloats the screen time and takes away from the main narrative (in retrospect, this would have made for a better miniseries). Had they just removed the storyline with the family and the two teens, and just keep Bruce Campbell, I think the story would have flowed more smoothly. There is still plenty of vampire craziness, and a fun wild west style shoot out, but this still fell short of greatness. (6/10)

32) Unmasked Part 25: A serial killer considers putting his murderous life behind him when he falls in love with a blind woman. A fairly simple story that is held back by bad humor and tonal inconsistencies. The psychology of killer Jackson – played well by actor Gregory Cox – is interesting, grappling childhood trauma, self-identity and what it means to be normal. The unfortunate part is so much of that is handled on a superficial level, and the interjection of humor stunts those ideas. The supporting cast is insufferable, with many of them hamming things up way too much. The slasher movie elements in place are some of the better parts – despite the crummy practical effects – but the film as a whole is not as good as the sum of its parts. (4/10)

** "Sundown" is streaming on Amazon Prime. "Unmasked Part 25" is streaming on Tubi.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Sorry for the uber-long post, but I haven't checked in all month yet here on HorrorDigital. This year I'm taking a break from the Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge, which I'd done for the past several years, and am simply picking flicks from my unwatched Blu-ray, DVD, and VHS piles.

1st - October Madness No.1

[​IMG]
    Hollowgate (aka Hollow Gate) (1988) - Rating: 3.5/5

I'm a huge City Lights / PM Entertainment fan, so no surprise I enjoyed the hell out of Hollowgate and all its low-budget stageplay-stilted set-pieces. Pure cheese! This one oozes Halloween atmosphere and a highlight includes the doomed group of young adults stopping at an '80s costume shop!

1st - October Madness No.2

[​IMG]
    Blood Feast (2016) - Rating: 1/5

This ain't the first time Blood Feast has been remade (Mardi Gras Massacre, Blood Diner) but it's definitely the worst! Terrible no-budget modern digitally-shot garbage. Too bad Caroline Williams is wasted in this mess. Avoid!

1st - October Madness No.3

[​IMG]
    The Horror of Party Beach (1963) - Rating: 2.5/5

For a horror-monster-beach-blanket-musical, The Horror of Party Beach is pure entertaining cheese that's so-bad and oh-so-good! It does drag in spots, but the creatures are a hoot to watch mangle the teeny-boppers and is surprisingly gruesome for it's time, especially as a wide-release movie!

1st - October Madness No.4

[​IMG]
    Titane (2020) - Rating: 4/5

Julia Decournau's follow-up to Raw, Titane is a wild ride! Following a dancer who may be a serial killer, who gets impregnated by a car, and is on the run and evades being caught by disguising herself as a firefighter captain's long-missing son, Titane is a masterpiece! The bastard child of Cronenberg, Gaspar Noe, and the French Extreme, Titane is alternatively shocking and tender as it balances it's bizarre genre-shifts with a tender story of loss and longing. Highly recommended for the adventurous film-goer!

1st - October Madness No.5

[​IMG]
    Victims! (1981) - Rating: 2/5

A poorly constructed flick about a bank robbery gone wrong and the criminals hiding out in the desert who then terrorize a group of girls camping. Although not without it's sleazy, exploitation charms, this one is mostly flat.

2nd - October Madness No.6

[​IMG]
    Deathmaster (aka Guru Vampire) (1972) - Rating: 2/5

I'm not a fan of the Count Yorga films or Robert Quarry, and so Deathmaster is unfortunately much of the same, but at least a smidge cheesier - still it's bad counter-culture cliches on film with a boring vampire/actor.

3rd - October Madness No.7

[​IMG]
    American Rickshaw (aka American Tiger) (1989) - Rating: 2/5

Occult Chinese mysticism meets Italian-American action-horror in this goofy Sergio Martino Florida-shot flick. It's got some fun effects and set-pieces, but too bad the majority of the time is Olympic athlete Mitch Gaylord running around like a chicken with his head cut off - which I mostly found boring.

3rd - October Madness No.8

[​IMG]
    Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo (1977) - Rating: 1.5/5

This made-for-TV movie that has Tom Atkins in it for the first 10 minutes crawls along slower than any of the tarantulas (aka banana spiders) in this movie. It's remarkably slow-paced and presents everything seemingly in real-time and where every character is a smart as a piece of chalk, which does make the final third of the movie - where the townspeople stopping the spiders in their tracks using amplified wasp sounds - extremely cheesy and unintentionally hilarious as it takes FOREVER for anything to happen. So it's worth a so-bad-it's-kinda-good viewing, but really only to watch the final half hour.

4th - October Madness No.9

[​IMG]
    Primitives (aka Savage Terror) (1980) - Rating: 2.5/5

Indonesia takes on the Italian cannibal film featuring Barry Prima starring in his first role! It's pretty by-the-numbers and features some animal cruelty (both real and fake) so be warned, but is also somewhat more 'cheery' than the Italian counterparts as the characters are all fairly goofy.

4th - October Madness No.10

[​IMG]
    Fatal Frames (1996) - Rating: 1/5

Italian late-90s genre films tend to lose me, and Fatal Frames in no exception with its update on the classic gialli done in the popular style at the time - which is to say they look cheap (despite having some production quality like a wealth of crane shots), are overly long, and are just so poorly acted and convoluted. Al Festa's music video background comes in hand to the plot, but makes its execution laughable and dated. This one is a real snoozer!

4th - October Madness No.11

[​IMG]
    Aenigma (1987) - Rating: 2.5/5

Later-era Fulci has some of his hallmark shocks and the snails scene is a standout, but Aenigma suffers again from a few of my qualms above where late-80s to mid-90s Italo-horror was really in a bit of a slump. I must give kudos though to the cheap looking yet really cool miniatures which I found added a great atmosphere to the film.

5th - October Madness No.12

[​IMG]
    Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1991) - Rating: 4/5

I had low-to-no expectations going into this flick, but wow was I ever entertained! Auntie Lee's Meat Pies is the movie mash-up of the perfect late-80s horror comedy with the aesthetic of a well-executed heavy metal/hair metal music video! It's BEAUTIFUL to look at (not to mention some gorgeous ladies) and some of the sets are unreal! This movie has endless style, is actually very funny, has a grim ending, and it all somehow works and gels! Great, fun performances - everyone is chewing their lines and bits (with Michael Berryman doing so without his dentures) - and it's just a good time with some fun gore from beginning to end! Highly recommend you don't miss out on this one if you were on the fence!

6th - October Madness No.13

[​IMG]
    Beyond Darkness (aka La casa 5) (1990) - Rating: 1/5

Claudio Fragasso mashes up The Exorcist and Poltergiest with absolutely no director in this lame, stylistically bland, and terribly acted and executed supernatural American-Italian horror flick. Shot back-to-back with Troll 2 and also featuring Michael Stephenson, this one is devoid of any of the good-bad charm Troll 2 had and is just plain bad.

7th - October Madness No.14

[​IMG]
    Invasion of the Blood Farmers (1972) - Rating: 2.5/5

Upstate New York no-budgeter that's a hoot! A Druidic cult must drain the locals of blood to resurrect their queen, but hopefully the local scientist and his family can stop them before they succeed. Regional charm abounds and it's for the horror die-hards who are fans of the Findlays, Milligan, etc. which means I sure had a good time - but most others may find it to bargain basement.

8th - October Madness No.15
    [​IMG]
    Scared Stiff (1986) - Rating: 2.5/5

From the director of Phantom of the Mall, Scare Stiff is a slow-burn supernatural chiller about a slave-owning plantation owner's ghost who haunts and possesses the new occupants of the mansion. 85% of the movie is a bit uneventful and this would have been a 2/5 if not for the final act which features some gnarly effects work, including an unbelievable creative transformation and demise of the final demon which is truly remarkable and gives this movie an extra half star!

9th - October Madness No.16

[​IMG]
    Ozone (1993) - Rating: 3/5

J.R. Bookwalter's creative shot-on-S-VHS action-horror hybrid about a mutant killer drug called Ozone which transforms it's junkies into zombie-like ghouls. Some fun effects, camera work, and some great acting from the local Ohio crew. Regional SOV fun!

9th - October Madness No.17

[​IMG]
    Beyond Terror (Mas alla del terror) (1980) - Rating: 3/5

A group of murderous thugs kidnap a couple and hide out in an abandoned church after terrorizing an old woman, her grandson, a dog, and burning down their house. Moody and grim, this Spanish chiller burns a bit slow but oozes with atmosphere and a killer score.

9th - October Madness No.18

[​IMG]
    The Creeps (aka Deformed Monsters) (1997) - Rating: 2.5/5

Later Charles Band/Full Moon Feature that is just at the peak of when they started to go terribly downhill. The Creeps is overly talky, but surprisingly the acting is much better than expected especially since a lot of the scenes play out in long, singular takes. And the sets are very 50s-esque and cheap! It actually reminded me stylistically as if Charles Band was channeling Al Adamson's Dracula vs. Frankenstein, which I thought gave it some charm! Where it loses most of its marks though is the fact that the pint-sized monsters don't really do much in the movie and it's very PG-13 rated (aside from some nudity) without any real horror. Originally shot in 3-D, it's never been released as such! This does get an extra half star from me for the two Jess Franco nods thrown in to the dialogue!

10th - October Madness No.19

[​IMG]
    Mom (1989) - Rating: 3/5

A surprisingly dark horror comedy that's clearly inspired by the Grimm's Little Red Riding Hood, Mom is a fun were-mother romp where a son has to hide his mother's grisly murderous rampage and hunger for human flesh from everyone around him after she's bit by cult character actor Brion James. Jeanne Bates is amazing in the role of Mom and really is chewing it up when in make-up.

11th - October Madness No.20

[​IMG]
    Are You in the House Alone?! (1978) - Rating: 3.5/5

Made-for-TV movie with a message from one of the stable directors of Murder, She Wrote. Are You in the House Alone?! is a bit of an after-school special about the trauma of rape and the broken justice system, but it's very well acted with a standout performance by Kathleen Beller, sure-handed direction, and a complimentary score by Charles Bernstein. Its final message is still just as strong today.

12th - October Madness No.21

[​IMG]
    Deadly Manor (aka Savage Lust) (1989) - Rating: 2.5/5

Jose Ramon Larraz's final horror film may not be a career highlight, and it suffers from a lot of plot problems and dumb young adults making dumb decisions, but it somehow has an atmosphere that caught me up in its location and mood. And the final act has a couple fun surprises, even if it mostly feels like it drags in the first 2/3rds and then finally hurries up at the end.

13th - October Madness No.22

[​IMG]
    J.D.'s Revenge (1976) - Rating: 3/5

This A.I.P. blaxploitation horror pic has Glynn Turman possessed by the vengeful soul of a 1940's New Orleans gangster looking to get revenge for the framing and death of his sister. J.D.'s Revenge has a bit of an over-reliance on its flashbacks, but the core of this film is Glynn's performance as the tortured possessed individual, which results in some truly shocking and rough set-pieces and the film can become pretty mean-spirited at times. J.D.'s Revenge is quite well-made for the typical A.I.P. fare at the time, and is worth seeking out.

Mok, othervoice1, Angelman and 10 others like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 12TH:

[​IMG]

33. Chucky Episode 1 "Death By Misadventure" (SyFy / DVR) - The long-awaited premiere of the Chucky series did not disappoint. I loved it. Chucky goes to high school and teen angst commences. We only get one kill this episode, but it's a total WTF. Can't say I've ever seen that death in a horror movie before. Don Mancini gets about four credits in a row after the title card (created by / writer / director / based on characters by) and they're well-deserved. The guy is Child's Play and I love the consistency he brings to the series. With Curse / Cult and now this, he has a knack for directing as well, so I would love to see him make a horror movie that isn't Chucky-related some time. The fact that we will be getting weekly Chucky movies is a gift for us horror fans, and this premiere is of the same caliber as the movies, so I'm hoping everyone tunes in and makes this show a hit so Mancini can keep playing in the Child's Play world for as long as possible. Don't take it for granted. Highly recommended.

DAY.png

34. Day Of The Dead Episode 1 "The Thing In The Hole" (SyFy / DVR) - You know, about half-way through this premiere, I sort of realized that I don't care if I ever see another zombie TV series ever again. There's a really great scene towards the end of the episode of the zombies rising from the graveyard and being run over by the caretaker on his lawnmower, but other than that I can't say there was much of interest here. Fans of shows like Z-Nation should dig it, and it's a bit livelier than the dreary bore The Walking Dead, but so far this was pretty generic zombie fare. I can't say that it had much to do with Day Of The Dead or Romero's world either, at least not any more so than any other zombie fare. I'll probably give it a few more episodes because it seems harmless enough, but you can safely skip this one.

CARETAKER.png

35. The Caretaker (2008) (DVD) - Another cheap teen slasher I pulled from the DVD rack because of it being set on Halloween. Like most of the others I've been revisiting, it's not very festive either. The teens in this are celebrating Homecoming, which also happens to be Halloween, but the movie is more concerned with the Homecoming aspect. As a teen slasher movie, this one is pretty bland and forgettable. Most of the kills are saved for the final 20 minutes, and none are shown on camera. You see the caretaker swing his weapon, then it cuts away. Jennifer Tilly injects some fun into the affair, bringing her unique brand of dark humor as a teacher who wants to be famous for either sleeping with a student or the killer, she doesn't care which. Otherwise, there are only two things that set this tepid teen slasher apart from the rest. One of them is "boob-o-lanterns". You'll have to see it for yourself, I have certainly never seen that before. The other happens a bit later in the movie. These teens are stranded in the middle of nowhere, the limo is out of commission, the killer has made their presence known, and the bodies are popping up right and left. In the midst of all this, one of the girls Chloe decides that she has had enough and basically says "aight, I'mma head out" and just walks out of the slasher movie. Just walks away. We don't see her again until the little post-credits scene where she is back home in her bedroom. Meanwhile, her friends are all getting killed one by one when they could have simply just walked off. If you ever find yourself in a slasher movie, take notes.

OCTOBER 13TH:

DISAPPOINTMENT.png

36. The Disappointments Room (2016) (Amazon Prime) - I remember this being discussed here on the forums when it came out. I had meant to see it, eventually added it to my NetFlix queue when it was put there, then didn't get around to watching it before it lapsed. Now it has moved over to Amazon Prime and I finally gave it a try. I think I kept putting it off because it looked like dry vanilla studio horror, even though I believe it was recommended around these parts. Well... it ended up being dry vanilla studio horror. Looking at the IMDB trivia, it sounds like there is a lot missing here that would have helped the movie make more sense. I got the backstory of the room, and what happened to Beckinsale's character before the movie and what she was going through, but I kind of don't really get how the two connect? Or the point of the movie at all? The movie is polished and watchable enough I guess, it just didn't leave any sort of impression whatsoever. Most interesting thing about it is that it was written and produced by Prison Break star Wentworth Miller, his only other writing credit besides Stoker.

MIDNIGHT MASS.png

37. Midnight Mass Episodes 5 - 7 "Book V: Gospels" "Book VI: Act Of The Apostles" "Book VII: Revelation" (NetFlix) - Okay, so I mentioned last time that this series is slow, but wow did it ever go out on a high note. This is one of those series where they make you sit through five episodes of set-up to give you two episodes of pay-off, but those final episodes are superb. The last two episodes play together perfectly like a movie, sort of like 30 Days Of Night if we had been given a previous five hours of backstory for those characters to enrich the world. I walked away from both of Flanagan's Haunting series a bit bored and underwhelmed, but this one left me satisfied and feeling it was worth the wait. I'm not hearing as much chatter about this series as I did about either Haunting series when they aired, which is a shame as this is better in every way. I wonder if people were left feeling a bit burned by those previous series and decided to pass on this one? Fans of the old King miniseries like Storm Of The Century or Salem's Lot will definitely want to give this a look. Highly recommended.
    Also, acting wise: kudos to Samantha Sloyan and Hamish Linklater, both of whom are stellar here. Hopefully they will be up for whatever TV awards are out there.

SAMHAIN.png

38. Evil Breed: The Legend Of Samhain (2003) (DVD) - I remember seeing the article for this in Fangoria and being of the juvenile age where an extreme splatter film starring porn stars sounded like the most hardcore, graphic, and terrifying slasher movie of all time. I had to see it. The movie wasn't released until several years after the Fangoria article (I was in high school for the article, and college when I finally saw the movie), and imagine my disappointment. Revisiting it over the years, it grows on you and the 78 minute running time makes it an easy one to go back to. It's just a cheap direct-to-video cheesy B-movie slasher flick. There's at least three points in the movie where they didn't know what to have the characters say, so the just started lifting the dialogue directly out of Scream. LOL. I know Ginger Lynn gets a lot of crap for her fake Irish accent, but I actually think she's really fun in this. The make-up on the inbred backwoods killers is extremely gross and well-done, plus we get a very shocking decapitation. Canada doubles for Ireland, and they're hanging out around the mansion from Night Of The Demons 3. Aside from references and discussion about Samhain, this one really doesn't have much to do with Halloween. I don't know what it is, but there's just a charm about this one if you approach it with the right mindset.

OCTOBER 14TH:

39. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 9 "Blue Moon" (FX / DVR) - Following the formula of the previous Death Valley episodes, this one is half black-and-white and half modern day. The black-and-white half gives us a Ryan Murphy conspiracy theory regarding how Area 51 came about and what really happened to Marilyn Monroe. The modern day half, we finally get to see these pregnant 20-somethings (specifically males!?!) give birth and more of Murphy's conspiracy theories involving the moon landing. The Death Valley half of the season is a campy breathe of fresh air compared to the dull Red Tide half, but again, I have to say all of Murphy's horror output this year pales in comparison to his work on Impeachment: American Crime Story, which is terrific. This week's episode of Impeachment is possibly the best thriller I've seen this year. Skip AHS this year and go watch that instead!

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"
    14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021)
    15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992)
    16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck"
    17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
    18. V/H/S/94 (2021)
    19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside"
    20. House Of Death (aka Death Screams) (1982)
    21. Welcome To The Blumhouse: The Manor (2021)
    22. House Of Wax (2005)
    23. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Madres (2021)
    24. Slugs (1988)
    25. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 2 "Infections"
    26. Midnight Mass Episodes 1 - 4 "Book I: Genesis" "Book II: Psalms" "Book III: Proverbs" "Book IV: Lamentations"
    27. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 1 "A Smashing Sequel"
    28. Hallow's End (2003)
    29. The Walking Dead Season 11 Episodes 7 & 8 "Promises Broken" & "For Blood"
    30. Devil's Night (aka Left For Dead) (2007)
    31. Have A Nice Weekend (1975)
    32. Sorority Kill (1974)

Mok, othervoice1, Angelman and 8 others like this.
  7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 21:
    Shark Zone (2003)

An insanely blatant Jaws ripoff, I'm looking at you Mr. Corrupt Mayor. Throw in a Russian mob subplot and one of the worst heroes ever. Seriously, this dude gets everyone killed. Does have it's moments of so bad it's good.

[​IMG]

Movie # 22:
    Destined to be Ingested (2008)

With a title like that, it was destined to suck. Four assholes end up on an island inhabited by cannibals. After much boredom, some zombies show up.

[​IMG]

Movie # 23:
    CrossBones (2005)

The opening depicting the legend of Captain Redblood was promising enough in it's utter cheese. Sadly the film jumps to the "present" and we met a bunch of would-be reality TV stars. The Survivor antics bog the movie down for awhile, till the undead Captain shows up again and starts slaughtering the chuckleheads.

[​IMG]

Movie # 24:
    Madman (1981)
    12. CAMPFIRES & FLASHLIGHTS: One where a character tells a scary story and then… flashback.

It's all that little shit Richie's fault. This is a great slasher "hangout" movie. The atmosphere is excellent and the synth score is very underrated.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    Mok, Angelman, satans-sadists and 6 others like this.
  8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

[​IMG]

"Man, I just LOVE hot dogs! Can't get enough of 'em. Know where I can get some more?"

Angelman, f.ramses, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Colin, f.ramses and indrid13 like this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

14th October

There's someone inside your house

Not for me, didn't relate to any of the characters, reveal and motivation felt weak. Gore was ok, nothing new or special. Was a slog to get to the end.

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Tonight I did Bad Moon. I remember seeing a commercial for this when it was new, seeing a single copy in the new releases section of the video store months later, and then never hearing about it again until tonight ...or so I thought. After putting it on I really wasn’t sure if I had seen this before and still hadn’t figured it out by the end. The story concerns a guy who becomes a werewolf and then moves his trailer to his sisters house where he tries to hide the fact that he’s a werewolf because he thinks familial love might just be his last chance to somehow cure his lycanthropy. He also had to move because of all the dead hikers recently discovered in the woods near where he previously had his trailer parked. It almost sounds like a comedy when you sum it up that way but it isn’t, or at least it doesn’t seem to intend to be. Overall it was an OK movie, not bad but not great either. My favorite character in this was actually the dog, Thor. He was a good character and when you think about it he actually gave a pretty decent performance.

Angelman, CPT HOOK, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 14

58. An English Haunting (2020) Prime - Strange movie about a dying man who basically lays on his deathbed in the attic while his daughter and grandson move in to take care of him. This movie moves pretty slow and is a bit boring. It has a few interesting ideas, but doesn't bring anything new to the genre.

59. Indigenous (2014) Prime - A group of friends head to Panama to take in some surfing and partying and end up heading to an area called the Darien Gap which is notoriously dangerous. Against the advice of a local they end up in a bad situation with something in the jungle. This movie was fun in ways. I find some of these areas used in movies like the Darien Gap to be quite interesting. Doing a bit of research on that area, migrants tend to travel through that area and it is supposedly very dangerous.

60. The Mad Doctor Of Market Street (1942) Blu - A mad scientist from San Francisco has his twisted experiments discovered which forces him to leave and end up on a tropical island terrorizing the natives. A group of people land on the island after being shipwrecked and attempt to stop his madness. Part of the Universal Horror collection 2. This movie was fun and had some good performances by the cast that brought some humor to the film as well. Classic stuff.

61. The Echo (2008) Blu - Another film with slow burn but deeper mysterious content. Jesse Bradford plays an ex-con who moves into an apartment that has a lot of crazy shit happening including some domestic abuse next door to him. He gets fed up and wants to intervene and it's like he is cursed after getting involve. The movie develops slowly for the first half and then picks up in the latter half. I liked the film but am not sure I really understood everything. It is based off of the Filipino film Sigaw and really had that Asian horror feel to it. The director of Sigaw also directed this remake which was kind of an interesting trivia point.

~Rocker10

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

In relation to Samhain - I would love to see the original version of this, if you check google you will find confirmation of the changes, from what I remember there changes included gore reduction and the last third of the movie was changed, the original cut definately sounded interesting and more fun that what we got as a final product. It's a shame there is no appetite for this as I'd love to see the original cut get a blu ray release.

CPT HOOK and indrid13 like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 14th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

33) The Medium: A film crew documents a Shaman in an isolated part of Thailand. But things take a turn for the supernatural when a family member shows signs of possession. This was an entertaining, if flawed, addition to the found footage subgenre. The first half plays out more like a faux documentary, spending a lot of time with the Shaman, her “God Given” abilities and her family, who have experienced much tragedy. We got a good sense of who the characters are, and when the Shaman’s niece starts behaving oddly, things take a huge turn for the disturbing. Problems due arise in the second half though, relying heavily on found footage tropes - which took me out of the film at points – feeling like a mash up of “The Last Exorcism”, “[REC]”, and “The Blair Witch Project”. The film is still ballsy, feeling very mean spirited – and gruesome- with incredibly gory deaths. It’s overly long at two hours, but it does more right, and does a lot better than most found footage films. (6/10)

34) The McPherson Tape: An innocuous children’s birthday party goes haywire when the McPherson family become victims of an alien invasion. I didn’t know what to expect with this one, but I came away indifferent. The film does play the authenticity really well, feeling like just some random piece of home video footage, but that does work against it. Even at just over 60 minutes, “The McPherson Tape” is tedious, and mostly uneventful. When we do get glimpses of the aliens, they are hilarious looking. I understand the budget limitation here, but I felt they could have done more, because there is a repetitive nature to the happenings and with the dialogue. This was by no means the worst found footage film I’ve seen, but this was still wasted potential. (5/10)

** Both titles are streaming on Shudder.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 18:
    Three...Extremes (2004)
    First Time Viewing (Tubi)
    *** (out of 5)
    14. SPOILED ALERT!: Watch something with grotesque eating in it. Or at least some expired food. Yuck.

Apparently Lionsgate reordered the stories for the film's U.S. release. I'd be interested in seeing the original version because what I saw here was brought down by the fact that the segments kept getting weaker as they went along.

[​IMG]
    Movie 19:
    Halloween Kills (2021)
    First Time Viewing (Peacock)
    ** (out of 5)

I haven't seen the promise of a new iteration of a series squandered as quickly since Star Trek Into Darkness. Everyone here makes the hillbilly mob in Part 4 look subtle by comparison.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I have the import DVD, and then when I went to see the US release theatrically was a little set back by the change in order of the stories. Just an FYI if you want to DJ it yourself, the original order was Box --> Dumplings --> Cut

Dumplings is still the strongest of the three segments, but it's such a gut-punch it belongs in the middle, not starting things off. Box is the most subtle of the three and why it belongs at the beginning, not the end.

I actually haven't watched this movie in ages, maybe I'll give it a spin tonight.

Angelman, indrid13 and fattyjoe37 like this.
  17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The DVD has two of the extended gore scenes in the extras. Honestly, if this movie were a full 90+ minutes instead of a brief 78 minutes, I probably wouldn't revisit it as much. I would be curious to see it though.

Angelman and indrid13 like this.
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 13th

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

[​IMG]

Awaiting execution in 19th century Switzerland, Baron Victor Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) tells his story to the only one who will listen - a priest. The death of his Mom at age fifteen left him an orphan and in sole control of the family estate. Wealthy enough to financially support his poor aunt and younger cousin Elizabeth, he also retains scientist Paul Krempe (Robert Urquhart) as his personal tutor. A fast learner, the Baron learns enough after 2 years to begin collaborating on experiments with him. The senior instructor found their ability to restore life to a dead puppy rather heartwarming. Not nearly enough for Victor, he pressures Paul to go further with him. Using the body of a publicly executed highwayman as the framework, more premium body parts are obtained through ghastly methods for the purpose of creating the perfect human. Paul's disgust and sense of ethics suggest he should leave his position. However the arrival of grown up Elizabeth (Hazel Court) now moved in with Victor, compel him to stick around. She could use some protection and is very beautiful.

The Curse of Frankenstein and almost exactly a year later The Horror of Dracula (1958) firmly established Hammer Film Productions as major players in the realm of Gothic genre cinema. Aside from making their first full fledged horror film in color, something else that immediately stands out is the decision to make Baron Frankenstein the focus of the film (and many sequels) - not the monster. Taking nothing away from Christopher Lee. His performance as the creature is one of the finest ever. Exudes both pity and menace. Having prior experience in mime obviously helped bring the character to life. All that said, this is Cushing's show first and foremost. Later films in the series would give him the opportunity to show some greater depth and positive qualities at times. Not so much here. This Baron is vicious in his first screen outing and the movie is all the better for it.

I was lucky enough to catch a double feature of Curse and Horror of Dracula back in 2008 while living in California. That would be my personal favorite viewing experience of this classic. The relatively new Warner Archive Blu-ray release that I watched here is now my favorite home video edition!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:06 AM
    Mok, CPT HOOK, KGBRadioMoskow and 6 others like this.
  19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Might be worth reading the original source material - the novel Thor - it’s all from the point of the view of the dog. It’s a good read.

the movie is worth the price of admission for the dog/werewolf fight scene alone…

indrid13, fattyjoe37 and f.ramses like this.
  20. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Sounds pretty cool but it looks like an expensive book unless you've got some kind of e-reader, I'm definitely interested given what I liked about the movie though!

indrid13 and Angelman like this.