The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

It has been a huge struggle to find the time or energy to watch films this October, which is a bummer. The following entries represent all I was able to get through over the entirety of last week. 4 episodes and 1 film. I started watching the film 4 times before I was actually able to complete it. And even then I had to skip back and watch a bit in the middle that I had dozed off during. Hardly the ideal way to watch a film, but it's honestly that or nothing...

7. Tales from the Darkside S01E04: Pain Killer (Armand Mastroianni, 1984)

[​IMG]

Another thin slice of macabre. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but as entertaining as the others for the most part. Mastroianni doesn't really get the opportunity to distinguish himself here, which was a little disappointing following He Knows You're Alone. Although I remember watching The Killing Hour many years ago and not caring much for it either, so maybe he used up all his juice on that one picture?

8. Assignment Terror (Tulio Demicheli, 1970)

[​IMG]

The second of Naschy's Waldemar Daninsky werewolf films (or 3rd, depending on whether one counts The Nights of the Wolfman, which apparently was either unfinished or lost following it's production in 1968 - sounds like a Jess Franco movie to me). Despite having several failed starts, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Naschy is great, making soulful eyes at the beautiful alien lady played by Karin Dor, then ripping people to shreds in his Wolf Man form. There's a ton of monster mayhem going on, and the plot doesn't make too much sense, but it all adds up to a lot of fun. The scene were The Wolf Man fights The Mummy on a giant hamster wheel is fantastic and worth the price of the disc in itself.

9. Tales from the Darkside S01E05: The Odds (James Steven Sadwith, 1984)

[​IMG]

I enjoyed this episode (and the 2 that followed it) more than any of the other ones I've seen so far. Danny Aiello (in an amusing and somewhat prescient fat suit) and Tom Noonan are both fantastic, and the story is compelling and interesting. I noticed some really effective score music throughout this one too.

10. Tales from the Darkside S01E06: Mookie and Pookie (Timna Ranon, 1984)

[​IMG]

So apparently Tales from the Darkside also does the occasional heartwarming episode? Witness this lovely tale of a scrabble-playing family that is reunited thanks to their son's god-like computer skills. Tippi Hedrin costars.

11. Tales from the Darkside S01E07: Slippage (Michael Gornick, 1984)

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure what to expect given the title of this episode...but it sounded half-way dirty. Never fear, it's actually the tale of a young artist who slowly (or not-so-slowly, given the time constraints of the television format) begins to disappear from the world around him. It's possibly the most interesting and novel concept I've seen on the show so far, and it really works. Great episode.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Mok, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 9 others like this.
  2. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Member

5. RiffTrax: Mesa of Lost Women (1953)

Found this one free on Tubi, so I gave it a try. I enjoy an MST 3000 movie once in a while, so having the guys making fun of this terrible movie in the background made it watchable, barely. The RiffTrax guys did get me laughing a bunch of times.

Rocker10, hots4, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 11th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

27) 32 Malasana Street: A family relocates to Madrid looking to start over, only to discover their new home is haunted by its previous tenant. An ode to supernatural horror – Spielberg’s “poltergeist” in particular – “32 Malasana Street” is a solid, haunted house thriller. The decaying apartment complex is a great set piece, and the fluid camera breathes life into the atmosphere. I wasn’t crazy about the many subplots with the six family members – although they mostly have a playoff – because it detracts from the main narrative. If the script had a bit more focus, I think it would have been a more rewarding experience. The climax is fun, and offers up some good scary moments, but it does limp to the finish line. (6/10)

28) His House: A grieving couple leaves war torn Sudan for a better life in England, where they are met with malevolent forces. Netflix has a reputation of offering up bad original horror films, thankfully “His House” breaks that trend as being one of their best. The lead actors were casted perfectly, capturing their plight and building on their fears and anxieties of trying to adjust to life in a foreign country. Writer/director Remi Weeks as a fantastic job of building mood, with a sense of creeping dread that builds to several great scares and unsettling moments. (7/10)

** "32 Malasana Street" is streaming on Shudder. "His House" is streaming on Netflix.

Mok, Rocker10, satans-sadists and 8 others like this.
  4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

* = First time viewing.

Body Puzzle (1992)*
    Very tame Lamberto Bava "whodunit" or, as one review said "whydunit" since you know the killer at the outset. As you may have guessed, killer collects body parts... Pretty typical slasher pacing with a few "set pieces". But like a lot of early 90s horror just has no teeth, no ferocity but retains all the Italian horror clunkiness. It went down easy and I wasn't ever not engaged but it's a minor footnote in the L. Bava catalogue.

The Long Hair of Death (1965)*
    Man, this was almost great. Still pretty good if you like 60s gothic horror. Kind of a typical witch burning/castle/mystery/supernatural thing - I won't spoil it - that starts off strong but suffers from a really slow 2nd act. The end is good - the pacing picks up and has a satisfyingly macabre ending. Interestingly, Barbara Steele is top billed but Polish actress (born in Sweden) Halina Zalewska is the one who steals the show with her intensity and performance. If not for the sputtering 2nd act, this would be highly recommended. Features some really nice black and white photography.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 13:
    Angel (1984)
    Rewatch (Joe Bob's Halloween Hoedown on Shudder)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

I feel like I should respect the fact that "the high school hooker movie" isn't pure sleazy trash, but the fact that all of the non-serial killer conflict is straight out of an After School Special gives the whole thing a tinge of "baby's first exploitation picture."

[​IMG]
    Movie 14:
    May (2002)
    First Time Viewing (Lionsgate DVD)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    10. RITUALS: It’s good to have a routine, even if it’s evil.

Takes its time developing May and her bourgeoning relationships, then introduces James Duval an hour into the film and hinges a major plot development on him. Luckily he's very funny in his scenes, but the whole section feels like an easy shortcut.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 9TH:

SLUGS.png

24. Slugs (1988) (Blu-ray) - It had been a long time since I'd seen this one, but I saw it mentioned somewhere that it takes place on Halloween. Perfect excuse for a revisit. While it is true there is a brief Halloween party at the end, there's a reason I forget this was set during the season. Nothing is decorated during the entire movie, with only a few brief references to the impending party. When the party happens, it's in a big empty field with about 3 pumpkins and nobody is wearing costumes. It just looks like a generic kegger with a couple of pumpkins. It feels like the Footloose town, but with Halloween. Anyway, the movie is fun enough. There's a lot of characters muddling the narrative, but it makes for a decent body count. Gets a little too procedural for a movie about killer slugs, but the set-pieces are outrageous and well-done. If the movie doesn't entirely win you over, there's an extra feature on the blu-ray that will. "The Lyons Den" is a delightful 20 minute chat with production manager Larry Ann Evans, who not only worked with J.P. Simon on several of his films, but now lives in Lyons, NY where the movie was filmed (around the same time as Lady In White in the same town) and works at the town museum. She takes us to most of the filming locations and she even currently lives in one of the houses from the movie! You can tell how much she loves this movie and the experience of making it, which really makes this extra a joy to watch.

OCTOBER 10TH:

25. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 2 "Infections" (AMC / DVR) - You know, I wish I had more to say about this series, but I don't. Movies covered include REC, Pontypool, Contagion, 12 Monkeys, Shivers, Rabid, Color Out Of Space, etc.

[​IMG]

26. Midnight Mass Episodes 1 - 4 "Book I: Genesis" "Book II: Psalms" "Book III: Proverbs" "Book IV: Lamentations" (NetFlix) - As with his other NetFlix series, Mike Flanagan's new series is a slow mover. Each episode runs over an hour, and those expecting a full-blown horror affair will potentially be bored by the lengthy dialogue and character monologues. Despite the pace, I'm enjoying this series much more than either of his Haunting series, and I do think the patience is mostly rewarded so far. The ending of episode 3 answered a lot of questions, and episode 4 ended with an unexpected shock. I'm liking the characters, actors, and atmosphere here more than any of his previous series. I've heard lots of comparisons to Salem's Lot and they're fair I suppose. It's using vampire lore to some extent, but so far I don't think I've heard them use the actual V-word. It's interesting because Haunting Of Bly Manor was released around the same time as The Turning, both based on Turn Of The Screw and highly derivative of each other. This time, Midnight Mass was released right on the heels of the somewhat similar American Horror Story: Red Tide, except this is the more mature and interesting version as opposed to Ryan Murphy's overly hyper barrage of nonsense. This is possibly the most Stephen King thing that Stephen King was not involved in. Recommended, but patience is definitely required.

[​IMG]

27. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 1 "A Smashing Sequel" (CW / DVR) - I thoroughly enjoyed season one of this CW series, and this new season is sure to go down as my biggest guilty pleasure of October. This reality show is set at a summer camp and features a group of campers as contestants. We get all the slasher stereotypes, jocks, nerds, etc. One of our contestants is the killer, but neither we nor the rest of the campers know which one. The killer is working with the deformed handyman Bruce to dispatch of our contestants one by one while they try to figure out who the killer is. The contestants don't just get voted off the island, the show films elaborate slasher movie death scenes where they are dispatched by handyman Bruce. This week had two deaths, one an early surprise and the other being a particularly bloody demise featuring an ice cream truck. This show is just charming, silly fun and I can't wait to find out who the killer is and who will be left standing (or what will be left of them!?). Highly recommended for a breezy camp-slasher good time, we need to get this show more viewers so we can get a season 3!

HALLOW'S END.png

28. Hallow's End (2003) (DVD) - I had tried watching this back when it came out, but couldn't make it to the end. I made it to end the this time. This was director John Keeyes' follow-up to his Halloween-set slasher movie American Nightmare, an indie slasher gem that I really love. So him following that up with another Halloween set horror film should have been a home-run, right? WRONG. Pretty much the entire movie takes places in a nondescript warehouse, so this is not the most aesthetically pleasing movie ever made. We meet all eight indistinguishable leads right up front, and the movie doesn't take the time to establish them separately until pretty late in the movie. Up until then, most of their dialogue with each other consists of exchanges like "fuck you" and "no, fuck you, you fucker". When the horror plot does kick in over an hour into the movie, it's pretty bland and uninteresting. I'm struggling to remember much about it only two days later. Avoid this one and go with the extremely fun American Nightmare instead.

OCTOBER 11TH:

29. The Walking Dead Season 11 Episodes 7 & 8 "Promises Broken" & "For Blood" (AMC / DVR) - The only reason I'm still watching this show is because there is an ending in sight and I've already made it this far. Unfortunately, when they announced this was the final season, they caveated with "but wait, this season is actually three seasons!" So this is the end of the first part of the final season. Two more to go. Hang in there. So far, Daryl has spent most of the season undercover, and it has been leading to the moment in episode 8 where his identity is finally revealed. So this chunk of episodes did somewhat have an arc, but it's an arc that could have been accomplished in 2 or 3 episodes instead of 8. I mentioned earlier about Mike Flanagan's NetFlix series being slow, but there is nothing slower than The Walking Dead. I'm looking forward to the series finale and finally putting The Walking Dead era behind me (and behind all of us as horror fans).

DEVIL'S NIGHT.png

30. Devil's Night (aka Left For Dead) (2007) (DVD) - This never got released in the US, but did in other countries. Mine is a Canadian release under the Devil's Night: Unrated title, but IMDB has it listed as Left For Dead. I'd imagine the reason it never found US distribution is that the movie is pretty bad. Danielle Harris gets top-billing on the DVD cover, even though she only has a supporting role as the girlfriend. You wouldn't recognize any other women in the movie, as they were likely cast due to their willingness to get naked. There's a lot of that in this movie. Surprisingly, the male cast is fairly recognizable, especially if you watch Degrassi. Robbie Amell (The Babysitter), Shawn Roberts (Wesker from the Resident Evil movies), Steve Byers (Slasher), etc. Boring kills, zero suspense, terrible script, bad actors, characters who appear / disappear / serve no purpose, etc. All of the male actors wear the exact same Halloween costume, which I assume is a Karate Kid reference, but good luck figuring out who is who. Even the killer reveal is kind of WTF, as we never get to see the mask removed, and even if it was removed we wouldn't know who it is anyway. Fortunately, there's a cop after the fact who throws in the dialogue "by the way, the killer is *****". Thanks, random cop. I guess points for the red herring of the murderous sausage farmer who escaped from the insane asylum, but you can avoid this one. It is obscure for a reason.

WEEKEND.png

31. Have A Nice Weekend (1975) (YouTube) - I only picked this obscure proto-slasher due to the short 75 minute running time and the fact that I had never seen it. It has been on my radar for quite a while due to the catchy title, but just never got around to it. Turned out to be a happy accident because this is an aggressively autumn movie, even though the location is constantly referred to as the summer house. Yet, there are sweeping shots of trees with fall colors abound. The first five minutes alone is just a moody 70s score over a kid's football game surrounded by the dreamy autumn leaves. Honestly, that might be the highlight of the movie. The rest is... fine. A family and some acquaintances convene at their remote island home for a reunion, as their disturbed son has returned home from war. I believe there are eight of them in total, and soon they start being murdered. It's obviously the son, right? RIGHT? I shouldn't oversell this as a body count movie, as the body count is a paltry three. The first two kills are surprisingly bloody though, in what could otherwise have been a made-for-TV affair. The second kill in particular was a bit of a shock, and the biggest surprise this movie has to offer. Fingers are pointed and motives are revealed, but the killer ended up being exactly who I thought it was. Strangely, the movie ends with a THE END title card, but then keeps going into a five-minute epilogue where the killer's psychiatrist explains the motive, which the killer had already kind of done just moments before but whatever. Overall, this is pretty tepid stuff and only worth a look to the slasher completests out there.

OCTOBER 12TH:

SORORITY.png

32. Sorority Kill (1974) (YouTube) - This is a long believed lost made-for-TV movie that finally surfaced on YouTube last year. The quality is far from perfect, with tracking issues and a few points throughout where the movie cuts out, but it is perfectly watchable. Running just over an hour, this one is pretty mild but also too short to be boring. Doesn't waste much time, opening with a convicted rapist escaping from the courthouse during his trial. Along with two accomplices, they come across a nicely dressed college couple headed back to campus after spending the weekend at their vacation cabin. They take the couple hostage and decide to hide-out at the girl's sorority, where they wind up taking six captives (three girls, two boys, and the house mother). As the police are putting the pieces together and slowly tracking the bad guys to this sorority house, the captive college students attempt to outsmart and escape their captors as the rapist becomes increasingly violent. Again, this is a very tame made-for-TV movie, so watching it just a few weeks after something like Born For Hell makes it feel especially tame. That said, it held my interest for the entire brief running time. An interesting curiosity, but not necessarily a must-see. I'm glad it still exists.

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"
    14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021)
    15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992)
    16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck"
    17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
    18. V/H/S/94 (2021)
    19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside"
    20. House Of Death (aka Death Screams) (1982)
    21. Welcome To The Blumhouse: The Manor (2021)
    22. House Of Wax (2005)
    23. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Madres (2021)

Mok, Kim Bruun, dave13 and 8 others like this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

12 October

Grabbers

When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive.

This is an interesting little movie. Mixing horror elements with the Irish and drinking you know there's gonna be some fun and for the most part it is fun, there are some enjoyably salty characters, choice dialogue and some decent CGI for the low budget, however the thing that dragged it down for me was Russell Tovey, his character and his acting were annoying but it's his drunk performance that was particularly awful, I'm sure he and the director thought this OTT display would be hilarious but for me I found it groan inducing.

It's a shame, if they removed him completely from the movie I would have had a lot more fun with it, as it is it's still worth a viewing especially if you yourself are having a few tipples, as I'm sure this would help the viewing experience. Who knows being pissed may make Tovey's performance seem Oscar worthy!

Colin, Rocker10, Angelman and 4 others like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 10th

THE MYSTERIOUS MONSTERS (1975)

[​IMG]

The Mysterious Monsters was a theatrically released documentary that incorporates content from a made for TV broadcast called Monsters! Mysteries or Myths? (1974). Narrator/host Peter Graves attempts to cover a variety of topics. Aside from investigating The Loch Ness Monster, most of the run time focuses upon Bigfoot.

Much of what is presented has been discussed in other cryptozoology features. I personally couldn't give a damn about the time spent on having eyewitnesses sit through polygraph tests or undergo hypnosis. The most entertainment value comes from the re-enactments of Sasquatch encounters. One small town fairly close to the border of Washington and Canada had roughly a dozen sightings over the short stretch of a month. One couple had a creature break a living room window and scare the hell out of the wife. Another incident involved some friends seeing a Forest Giant along the river their boat was in around 2:30 in the morning. Yet another close call had three camping buddies finding huge footprints after recording some extremely bizarre audio from a beast stalking them while keeping enough distance from their campfire. Even bigger was the tape recorder they used, one that only could have existed in the 70's.

Didn't have to dig much to find this on YouTube. Quality is on the rougher side, especially some of the Loch Ness Monster segment. Still watchable though. A dated documentary for sure, yet still an interesting time capsule from a decade where public interest in Bigfoot really took off.

Mok, CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun and 7 others like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 11th

DEMONWARP (1988)

[​IMG]

Bill Crafton (George Kennedy) and his estranged daughter Julie (Jill Marin) catch up with one another in a rented cabin. Before we get to know much of anything about them, an angry Sasquatch breaks down the front door. Both are attacked and Julie is taken away. A group of 5 arrive weeks later in the same mountains. Jack (David Michael O'Neill) talked his pals into this getaway staying at the same cabin described above. Crafton was renting the place from his uncle. The area has been called the "Demon Woods" for its history of paranormal strangeness. Bringing a couple guns and cheap knockoff electronic equipment gives them ideas of hunting the giant humanoid. But are they really prepared for encounters with the gun toting revenge seeking bright yellow hat wearing Crafton? What else might be lurking in these woods?

In the realm of Sasquatch cinema, there's nothing quite like Demonwarp. Without spoiling how anything might be tied together - prepare yourself for zombies, aliens, beer can drinking sunbathers, cult rituals, shapeshifters, and board games. Add Bigfoot into the equation and you won't be bored. If it's logic you seek, then promptly turn around and hike elsewhere. Not a stretch to say that George Kennedy was found slumming it in a direct-to-video exploitation film, nor was it the only one he made. Despite that he is a welcome presence in a picture loaded with bad acting (just about everyone else). The finale was shot at Bronson Caves in Los Angeles, same location for the 60's Batman series starring Adam West.

Don't know for sure if Lion's Gate owns the rights to this film, but at least a few people online seem to think so. If that's the case, Demonwarp would be a great selection for the Vestron Video Collector's Series. Rather than wait for a Blu-ray release to happen, I watched this on YouTube. Quality was fairly decent.

Mok, CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun and 8 others like this.
  10. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I may end up doing so. This has been on my "must see it" based solely on its bat-shit crazy description for over a decade now.

Many times in the past I've given up hope on other titles and finally resorted to bootlegs or YouTube only to have a real release show up later, maybe doing the same on this one is just the trigger the cosmos needs to give it a legitimate release.

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 18:
    Mardi Gras Massacre (1978)
    10. RITUALS: It’s good to have a routine, even if it’s evil.

Cheesy and very sleazy proto-slasher. The disco soundtrack is beyond catchy. If you enjoy trashy films, this one is a hoot.

[​IMG]

Movie # 19:
    Night of the Animated Dead (2021)

Why? Who wanted this? The animation is terrible. It brings nothing new to the story except for more gore and showing a bare bones version of the diner attack.

Mok, CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun and 8 others like this.
  12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 12

50. Dead & Buried (1981) 4K - Seen this movie many times, but it was time to take in Blue Underground's recent 4k version. Not much to say about the plot as I am sure most have seen this one. Everything looked pretty dang good. The only thing I keep encountering with 4k and the whole HDR thing is the picture is always darker. I saw some discussion recently on this I believe on this site. I did a search and I guess people tweak their backlight in some cases and other tweaks if that doesn't work. No complaints, just have to get that figured out.

51. Terror Train (1980) Blu - Another film I have seen a few times. Not much to add to this one either. Good watch each time and fits the season.

52. Ghost Lab (2021) Netflix - A movie about a couple of medical interns that get caught up trying to prove there is life after death and show evidence of such. The movie was filmed in Thailand and starts out with a bit of humor as the story develops. The story takes a much darker turn and the ending isn't that satisfying. I thought it was entertaining in its own way.

53. The Last Man On Earth (1964) Blu - The season doesn't feel quite right to me without some Vincent Price. This apocalyptic movie is one of more more favorites of his. Seen it quite a few times and always a good ride.

~Rocker10

Mok, CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun and 7 others like this.
  13. Angelman

So sleazy! I thought this was a riot. A non stop parade of oiled up strippers. Delivers 70s trash on every level.

indrid13 likes this.
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 12th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

29) Mass Hysteria: A tourist’s death leads to a modern-day witch hunt in Salem on Halloween night. Clocking in at just over an hour, “Mass Hysteria” feels more like a bad Halloween special for a network television sitcom. The comedy is far too quirky and obnoxious, to a point that it was irritating. Most of the acting is cringe worthy, and the frantic editing is nauseating. The filmmakers did a lot with the little they had, hiding the small budget, and the story is quick on its feet, but by the time it was over I didn’t really care. (4/10)

30) There’s Someone Inside Your House: A killer targets high schoolers looking to expose their darkest secrets. A great revisioning of the meta, horror satires of the 90’s – with modern sensibilities – this film was quite refreshing in terms of presentation. The characters all stand out, and the casting is very good, with our scrappy pact of outcasts all shining in their respective roles. The kills are innovative as well, not shying away from the gore, and featuring some brutal deaths you don’t see in mainstream horror anymore. The film does lose a bit of steam in the final act, with the killer’s motivation being rather stupid, but overall, this was a slick, well-constructed teen thriller. (6/10)

** "Mass Hysteria" is streaming on Shudder. "There's Someone Inside Your House" is streaming on Netflix.

Mok, hots4, Rocker10 and 7 others like this.
  15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 12th: The Being

The Being.png

You know what? I really like The Being. It has a sense of humor yet is also endearingly earnest at times. I like how the moral conservatives are perfectly willing to allow the dumping of nuclear waste in the water, yet are up in arms over pornography. A radioactive mutant is decimating the town's population, and in a surprise twist, pornography isn't to blame. Who'd have thunk it? The cast is a lot of fun, with Martin Landau as a scientist of somewhat mercenary sensibilities while Ruth Buzzi is a morally superior town leader who hosts the most awkward classical recital since Florence Foster Jenkins sang at Carnegie Hall. The monster itself looks really cool. I'm not sure they ever had a complete monster suit. We never see the whole thing in one frame, and the creature often looks like it's being wheeled onto the set. Its toothy maw and single eye are quite articulate, though. I also dig the small town atmosphere, and technically, I dare say it's quite a nicely shot movie.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Mok, hots4, wago70 and 8 others like this.
  16. Angelman

* = First time viewing

Death Ship (1980)*
    I caught this on Amazon and it was a fun way to spend 90 minutes. I love movies like this where it's like "we have an old boat, let's make a horror film". All the pricey set pieces were culled from other films and they cobbled together an atmospheric little ghost ship film with a small (yet talented) cast that includes George Kennedy and Richard Crenna (who really gives it his all). Caught some obvious Shock Waves vibes (though I think Shock Waves is a MUCH better movie).

Massage Parlor Murders (1973)*
    This is the even cheaper, less sleazy version of the above-reviewed Mardi Gras Massacre. Couple of beat cops try to find a killer killing massage "therapists". The whole thing feels seedier than it is because it is shot and acted like a porn film, just without the actual porn. Lots of voiceover over people walking around to extend a thin runtime. Super boring. A young George Dzundza shows up for a minute and gets the crap kicked out of him.

Mok, hots4, Rocker10 and 7 others like this.
  17. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 20:
    Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)
    11. SKINS & NEEDLES: Body art or body harm? When getting the mark leads to all hell breaking loose.

It may go off the rails on a crazy train, but I love me some Hellraiser III. When it came out I was so hyped for it. I had the soundtrack, the comic adaption and a making of book.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Mok, CPT HOOK, hots4 and 6 others like this.
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 15:
    Tattoo (1981)
    First Time Viewing (YouTube)
    ** (out of 5)
    11. SKINS & NEEDLES: Body art or body harm? When getting the mark leads to all hell breaking loose.

Reefer Madness for tattoos. Hilarious that this came out in the early '80s when I can only imagine the reactions to tattooing seen here coming from squares in the '50s. I was unaware of this one until Scream Factory announced it for Blu last year and then pulled the plug on the release. Scarecrow only has it on VHS, so I found a good quality rip on YouTube. I don't know if it's a deal with the rights or what, but this one isn't really worth pulling out of obscurity unless you're interested in seeing Octopussy naked.

[​IMG]
    Movie 16:
    Matango (1963)
    Rewatch (Tokyo Shock DVD, Japanese version)
    **** (out of 5)
    12. CAMPFIRES & FLASHLIGHTS: One where a character tells a scary story and then…flashback.

I'm so happy I added this to my kaiju binge last year when I went through all the Godzilla and Godzilla adjacent Toho productions. It seemed like an easy skip because it only tied into a Godzilla TV show I wasn't going to seek out and it wasn't even about giant monsters, but when I watched it I discovered a new favorite slow burn body horror and one of Ishiro Honda's best films.

Mok, othervoice1, CPT HOOK and 8 others like this.
  19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Signed up for the free Shudder trial the other day and got to check out some newer movies that I'd been wondering about:

Downrange - I'd been wanting to see this for a while even though I had a feeling it would be boring but in spite of taking place entirely on a small stretch of road the movie was pretty entertaining. Basically these people are picked off one by one on the side of a road by a guy with a rifle that they can't see. I'm kind of 50/50 on the ending since I can't decide if it's stupid or amusing but the rest of the movie was good enough that I guess it doesn't matter much.

Haunt - I liked the story on this one but found it a bit tedious because of the stupid characters and the way so many things in this movie feel like they take forever to happen, I guess that's to build suspense but sometimes it gets annoying. Kind of glad I didn't roll the dice on the Ronin BD, I wouldn't mind owning this but having seen it the price seems too high even on the regular edition, even with the current sale.

Summer of 84 - The comparisons to The 'Burbs on this one were dead on as the concept and even certain scenes are almost copied from it, fortunately I like that movie quite a bit so it worked for me. Parts of this seemed a bit slow, like nothing was happening, but by the end I was entertained enough. I was not entertained enough to want to jump on that Gunpowder & Sky UHD/BD release that I'd been eyeing though, maybe I'll pick up the BD only edition instead...

Mok, CPT HOOK, Colin and 7 others like this.
  20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This is TATOO's 40th Anniversary (it was an autumn 1981 release). Good one to see here. Thanks!

indrid13, hots4 and fattyjoe37 like this.