The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 29th

THE EROTIC RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN (1973)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dr. Frankenstein (Dennis Price) successfully reanimates his latest creation, a silver-skinned brute who has the ability to speak. Rather pissed off, the creature lets his maker know that he is in pain. Such suffering pales in comparison to a surprise attack from unhinged birdwoman Melissa (Anne Libert) and her partner in crime named Caronte (Luis Barboo). Frankenstein is left clinging to life, his assistant taken out, and worst of all - the monster taken away to the brains behind this escapade. That would be Cagliostro (Howard Vernon), an evil sorcerer who specializes in mind control. The ultimate goal of Cagliostro is to use Frankenstein's Monster for breeding purposes. You know, a super race to take over the world.

After the underwhelming experience I had with Killer Barbys, it seemed like the perfect antidote would be classic era Jess Franco. Watching this for the second time really delivered the goods. Jess Franco was up front about his admiration for the 1940's Universal Monsters films (think Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula). Those films not only pit the monsters against one another, but threw so many outrageous plot points into the mix. Franco dabbled in a few of these films in the early 70's. The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein is the most memorable of the group - a delirious mindfuck of psychedelic monsters, ever present erotica, and bizarre twists not easily forgotten. Not convinced yet? One scene finds two unfortunate individuals punished by Cagliostro. This involves the silver skinned Frankenstein Monster whipping a couple (both of whom are fully nude) on a platform with poison covered spikes while a crowd of freaks and skeleton people (some of whom are depicted above) observe the spectacle. Howard Vernon did countless films for Franco. This particular role could be one of his best. Even more outrageous is Anne Libert as the green feather sporting (yet still nude) birdwoman who we learn was created by Cagliostro himself. In the bonus materials, Franco expert Stephen Thrower says that she would have been perfect portraying one of the Manson Girls with her drugged out otherworldly performance. Thrower also notes that while he has seen about 163 Jess Franco films thus far, he would rank Erotic Rites of Frankenstein in the director's top 10 all time. I haven't seen nearly as many Franco films, but strongly agree this is a classic.

This UK release from Nucleus Films is very well done and essential for collectors of Jess Franco.

baggio, CPT HOOK, f0t0z00m and 10 others like this.
  2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 50:
    Scream Bloody Murder (1973)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    27. ARTIFICIAL LIMBS: Robot arms, wooden legs or even a transplanted thing…whatever grabs you.

If your gonna run over your dad with a tractor, be prepared to lose your hand to that same tractor.

[​IMG]

Movie # 51:
    Devil’s Express (1976)
    28. THESE FISTS BREAK BRICKS: In celebration of the excellent new book, watch a martial arts movie.

"Buddha is dead... and I'm not feeling so hot myself!"

Warhawk Tanzania (Now that's a name!) battles an ancient demon hiding in the subway. Tanzania plays a New York City Kung-Fu instructor Luke Curtis. An ancient amulet brings a demon to the city. Martial Arts gang and demon battles ensue. The only thing that could top this would be Jim Kelly vs. Blacula.
    I watched an old VHS rip of this back in 2013. Nice to get a good looking copy on Blu-ray finally.

[​IMG]

Movie # 52:
    The Initiation (1984)
    29. DOUBLE TROUBLE: There's gotta be some twins in there somewhere.

A guy dresses in a penis costume for a party. You don't see that every day. This is a fun little slasher with a climax set in a mall.

baggio, CPT HOOK, f0t0z00m and 8 others like this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 30th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

78) The Guest: A great throwback to genre films of the 1908’s, “The Guest” happens to be the only film in Adam Wingard’s filmography I truly enjoy. There is defiantly a bit too much plot convenience, a some of the acting is not that great, but everything else just works. The Carpenter like score really sets the tone and our lead actor is dreadfully unsettling as a heartless killing machine. The over-the-top shootout, along with the cat and mouse at a high school gym, really brings the violence and gore.

79) The Barn: A fun 80’s inspired slasher film that does a lot with a shoestring budget. Sure, the film is overly nostalgic for the time period, but this film is too much fun to let it bother me. I also can’t wait for the sequel next year.

80) Night of the Demons (1988): One of my favorite horror films that take place on Halloween, “Night of the Demons” delivers every time.

81) WNUF Halloween Special: and my annual tradition of popping this one in around the midnight hour on the 30th. This not everyone’s cup of tea, but I just love the level of authenticity and attention to detail that went into making this look and feel like a lost piece of media. The smarmy reporter who hosts the broadcast gets me every time.

baggio, CPT HOOK, f0t0z00m and 10 others like this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

This year for me unfortunately has been more lackluster than normal, I only get 3 weeks viewing in anyway as my wife's birthday is 29th October and we always go on holiday for a week, I did take some movies along but didn't get chance to view anything. Anyway.....

31 October

Day Of The Dead - Series: Episode 1

It feels a little cheap and the characters so far are nothing to write home about, but at least the zombies for this one felt like the focus, not some crappy afternoon TV drama with some zombies thrown in (I'm looking at you walking dead!!). It had some nice gore and made me smile, so all good as far as I'm concerned, well up for the next episode.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    CPT HOOK, Colin, f0t0z00m and 5 others like this.
  5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Just managed to get one more in before the end of the month:

Speak of the Devil

A phony evangelist and his nympho wife buy a house in Los Angeles with plans to turn it into "The Church of Latter Day Sin." However, the house turns out to be haunted--which doesn't stop the wife, who, unbeknownst to her husband, cuts a deal with the Devil.

A member mentioned it know this thread, I'd never heard of it before and it sounded interesting, so I did a little search on YouTube and thankfully there was a watchable copy available.

Unfortunately it's a shame I had to end the festivities on such a dud. Cheap, amateurish, poorly edited, unfunny and a real chore to get through, there's nothing here I can recommend.

CPT HOOK, Colin, Kim Bruun and 6 others like this.
  6. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 31 - Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone! Big run again this year. I'll do a wrap up after I have finished everyone's write ups in the next day. Now for the last day of the marathon.

144. Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) Blu - A group of friends heads to a condo for a weekend getaway. Courtney Bates, the younger sister of Valerie from the first movie keeps having dreams and premonitions that a driller killer would kill them. Has a lot of the fun things that a brainless slasher should.

145. Slumber Party Massacre III (1990) Blu - Different crew, same concept in ways. Didn't like it as much as the first and second, but still fun in it's own way.

146. Tombs Of The Blind Dead (1972) DVD - A group of friends heads out on a vacation and ends up in some ruins that used to be where the templar knights used to reside. The bodies of the templars came back as zombies to torment them. I get in the mood for this film around this time of year every year. While this one is still being worked on by Synapse I had to go to the coffin box set.

147. Leprechaun (1993) Blu - After his pot of gold is stolen, a evil leprechaun goes looking for it and killing those who were possibly involved. Have to be honest. I had basically ignored this franchise. Never seen any of them until now, but did buy that Lionsgate set that had 7 films in it. Kind of enjoyed this movie. Kind of stupid but has its charm. I'll catch the rest soon. Then I'll be a leprechaun vet!

148. Halloween (1978) 4K - Well, you know my marathon is about to be over when this one shows up. Classic stuff and man did this 4K look good. Colors really popped out in my opinion. Pretty happy I decided to go with the new 4K on this one.

149. Halloween 4-The Return Of Michael Meyers (1988) Blu - Meyers returns to Haddonfield to kill his niece. I like the 4, 5 and 6 movies as they were all filmed in my old stomping grounds. One thing that bothered me while watching this movie was I had just watched the first in 4K and it was pretty noticeable to me how the colors weren't as good. It's really tempting me to get some more of the 4K's. I hear they all look pretty good. I guess there might be a problem with Halloween II though?

~Rocker10

baggio, f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK and 10 others like this.
  7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 31st

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES (1971)

[​IMG]

HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982)

[​IMG]

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968)

[​IMG]

baggio, f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK and 7 others like this.
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

23. Spiral: from the Book of Saw (Darren Lynn Bousman, 2021)

[​IMG]

Basically a mash-up of Saw with a Christ Rock standup act. I enjoyed it to a point. The traps weren't particularly inspired, and seemed a bit repetitive - rip this part of your body off, or die! I doubt anyone, no matter how casual a fan of the series, was surprised by the ending. I love that this series is somehow continuing to chug along, with high level talents, too. Who would have thought we'd see Samuel L. Jackson in a Saw movie?[​IMG]

24. Happy Hell Night (Brian Owens, 1992)

[​IMG]

Lots of gore, nudity, fun deaths, and a creepy looking killer. Unfortunately, it comes off as a bit disjointed. Too many competing storylines and flash-backs keep the film from really developing any kind of momentum. It's too bad, because with a bit more polish this might have been a classic.

25. Transylvania 6-5000 (Rudy De Luca, 1985)

[​IMG]

Oh god. This was awful. I knew it had a reputation for being bad, but I was still unprepared for just how lousy this was. It sacrifices everything - story, character, conflict, coherence - for laughs. And it delivers zero laughs. What a terrible waste of time. Even Jeff Goldblum can't do a thing with it. The sole redeeming factor is Geena Davis looking absolutely smoking in her Vampire outfit. Unfortunately she's only in the film for about 10 minutes put together.

26. The Real Ghostbusters S01E08: When Halloween was Forever (Richard Reynis, 1986)

[​IMG]

While siting by the door handing out candy on Halloween, I decided to watch a few inoffensive TV episodes on YouTube. I remember the show from my childhood, and it probably would have been best left in the realm of nostalgia. There wasn't much to the story, it's not very funny, and the animation is pretty bad. The music is good, though.

27. The Addams Family S01E07: Halloween with the Addams Family (Sidney Lanfield, 1964)

[​IMG]

Much better. Don Rickles shows up as a bank robber on the run who hides out at the Addams' house on Halloween and gets more than he bargained for. The jokes are all exactly the ones you would expect - Wednesday and Pugsley dress up like normal folks...the Addams' treat Halloween like Christmas, etc. But it's all very charming and fun.

28. Scream 3 (Wes Craven, 2000)

[​IMG]

Scream 3 aims lower than Scream 2, but it lands more of its shots. So, surprisingly, I think I actually enjoyed part 3 more this time around. It's still not that good. And I noticed this time that Sydney spends half the movie off camera, chilling in the detectives office. Was this to raise suspicion that she might be the killer? Or was she busy somewhere else and only available for part of the filming? Either way, it's much more Dewey and Gails film than it is Sydney's. I liked the way they brought back Randy. His trilogy speech is one of the best things about the movie, despite the fact that his warnings are ultimately pointless since
    none of the returning characters that are watching his video actually die.
    Unlike part 2, the new characters are a bit more fun to watch, although they are all played for comedy. Not terrible, just a lot less ambitious.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    baggio, f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK and 10 others like this.
  9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Halloween III – This is hands down my favorite Halloween movie. The ones with Michael Meyers may be iconic but this one just has a better story and a great soundtrack + Tom Atkins. Every time I watch this I really wonder what the Halloween series could have been if every one of them had been different. This one also seems a lot darker than the others.

The WNUF Halloween Special – The story here is entertaining enough, it's not amazing or incredibly original but it is enjoyable to watch. What really makes this for me is just the overall experience of watching it. The commercial breaks seem excessive and probably are by actual TV standards but they make the whole thing seem so real and, of course, nostalgic. The whole thing just seems so believable as a taped TV broadcast and you wish the disc would just go on for hours after the special ends.

By the way, here's my full list for the month. I've just randomly been posting here about titles I had a thing or two to say about:

1 - Night of the Demons - BD
    2 - Night of the Demons 2 - BD
    3 - Demon House (Night of the Demons 3) - DVD-R
    4 - Children of the Corn - BD
    5 - Dead & Buried - BD
    6 - The Evil - BD
    7 - Vampire Circus - BD
    8 - Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde - BD
    9 - Patrick Vive Ancora - BD
    10 - Saturn 3* - BD
    11 - Psycho Sisters* - BD
    12 - Boardinghouse (director's cut) - DVD
    13 - The Bloody Ape* - DVD
    14 - Blood Slaughter Massacre* - DVD
    15 - Cruel Jaws ("Snyder cut")* - BD
    16 - El Aullido del Diablo (The Howl of the Devil) - BD
    17 - Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Meyers (producer's cut) - BD
    18 - Witch's Brew (2011)* - BD
    19 - Bikini Bloodbath - DVD
    20 - Bikini Bloodbath Carwash - DVD
    21 - Bikini Bloodbath Shakespeare* - DVD
    22 - The Brain* - VOD
    23 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers - BD
    24 - Pánico en el Transiberiano (Horror Express) - BD
    25 - Halloween 5 - BD
    26 - Halloween (2007, director's cut) - BD
    27 - Re-Animator (unrated) - BD
    28 - Zombi 3 - BD
    29 - The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb - BD
    30 - Black Sunday - DVD
    31 - The Wizard of Gore - BD
    32 - Night Train to Terror - BD
    33 - Ogroff* - DVD
    34 - Baron Blood - DVD
    35 - Trailer Park of Terror (unrated) - DVD
    36 - Summer of 84* - VOD
    37 - Haunt* - VOD
    38 - Downrange* - VOD
    39 - Bad Moon% - VOD
    40 - Child's Play - BD
    41 - Child's Play 2 - BD
    42 - Child's Play 3 - BD
    43 - Bride of Chucky - BD
    44 - Seed of Chucky - BD
    45 - Curse of Chucky (unrated) - BD
    46 - Cult of Chucky (unrated) - BD
    47 - Child's Play (2019) - DVD
    48 - The Hills Have Eyes (1977) - VOD
    49 - Yummy - VOD
    50 - Slaxx* - VOD
    51 - The Abomination - VOD
    52 - Fiend Without a Face - DVD
    53 - The Black Sleep* - BD
    54 - The Deadly Spawn - DVD
    55 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)* - BD
    56 - The Mystery of the Wax Museum - BD
    57 - The Maze (1953)* - BD
    58 - House of Wax (1953)* - BD
    59 - Nightmare Cinema* - BD
    60 - The Brood - BD
    61 - The Haunting (1963) - BD
    62 - The Haunting (1999) - DVD
    63 - Motel Hell - BD
    64 - Dementia 13 (director's cut)* - BD
    65 - The Ghoul (1933)* - BD
    66 - Mark of the Vampire (1935)* - DVD-R
    67 - The Howling - BD
    68 - Shatter Dead - BD
    69 - Howling IV: The Original Nightmare - DVD
    70 - The Gate - BD
    71 - The House of Exorcism - DVD
    72 - Devil's Nightmare - BD
    73 - Zombie - BD
    74 - Hocus Pocus - BD
    75 - Weedjies Halloweed Night* - BD
    76 - Carnival of Souls - BD
    77 - Halloween III: Season of the Witch - BD
    78 - Halloween (1978) - BD
    79 - Halloween II - BD
    80 - The WNUF Halloween Special - BD
    81 - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949) - BD

* = first time viewing

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    baggio, f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK and 9 others like this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I going to quick write some short reviews while listening to the Hellraiser soundtrack. I didn't get to the Grimm Life Collective youtube videos this year but saved a bunch. Maybe I'll get to them in November or just keep them for next year. They have a few good ones I noticed like the Ghostbusters and Psycho location tours.

http://youtube.com/GrimmLifeCollective

I did finish going over Propstore's upcoming auction.

https://propstoreauction.com/m/view-auctions/info/id/299/

They have a bunch of horror items in their listings. Movies like Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and others.

Speaking about the female Pinhead in my last post, I remembered the two statues that I passed on a few years back. I bet they will go up in price now.

hell priestess sideshow.jpg

pinhead kotobukiya.jpg

I still haven't decided if I want this poster yet. I really want to see a poster with the characters and environment. But this is the best poster I've seen so far.

baggio, f0t0z00m, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  11. ImmortalSlasher

I will always believe that they should have gone the way of a different character or monster for the Halloween series. A new movie every year or two. Supposedly a lot of people didn't like Halloween 3 back in the day. But I always liked it. I watched it as usual this year.

After seeing Halloween Kills and what they are planning for the sequel. I really believe we would have been better off getting two unrelated Halloween movies than the two Myers movies we received. They could have used the same actors too.

baggio, Rocker10, Angelman and 4 others like this.
  12. ImmortalSlasher

In addition to the movies below, I watched / listened to a bunch of favorites. The usuals. Halloween (original), Halloween 3, Psycho, Rear Window, and Sinister.

I did catch some of Halloween 4 which reminded me that I really need to get to that rewatch of all the Halloween movies after Part 3.

The Final Reviews for October:

Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows -

blair witch 2.jpg

This is a strange movie coming after the first classic movie. I get that they had to try something different which is fine. But the movie feels odd in places. I did like it though. It's one of those movies where you don't know what is going on. Especially if you have a few drinks like the characters in the movie.

The Goth Girl in Blair Witch 2 is beautiful, that's why I used her image for this review. So is the redhead witch girl. They both play crazy characters and make the movie worth owning even if it isn't as good as the original. But the Goth Girl has some of the best scenes. I watched / listened to it a few times this month.

I had to check wiki afterwards and this was one of those studio edited movies. I think we need a director's cut. I found this video which is worth a watch.

Open Graves -

Open Graves.jpg

It's amazing how The Ring (Japanese original or remake) can make a classic horror movie with a simple idea of a horror tape causing people to die. Here we have a similar idea with a game that causes people to die but the movie isn't anywhere near as good as The Ring. It's only worth checking out since Eliza Dushku is in it. And maybe the game they play. I'm going to look into that game a bit more.

It's a shame because they had a good premise and setup too. The location should make for a good movie as well. But it feels and looks cheap in places. People might not like the ending either. I had to rewatch the ending a few times. I'm still not sure about it and I don't think it makes much sense in the context of the game the characters play. And it certainly doesn't feel as dark as it should. You don't get the feel like at the end of the Japanese version of The Ring. So yeah, pass on this unless you want to see an Eliza Dushku horror movie.

Freaky -

Freaky.jpg

This is by the same director as Happy Death Day. You can see a similar style in parts. It's ok but not as good as Happy Death Day. I didn't buy that the actress would be treated poorly at school. I noticed her in one of the Paranormal Activity movies and she's pretty.

Freaky seems to be influenced by Friday the 13th and mixed with one of those old switcheroo movies. The killer is like Jason at times too. The kills are violent and some are mean. There are crude lines and situations as well. I guess because High School kids now have the Internet but still.

It's worth a watch but I don't think it's a movie that's worth revisiting.

Halloween Kills -

halloween kills.png

I was going to hold off on this movie till either the final part in the trilogy or a cable release. But I saw ads saying it was on for free. And I heard this clip in the background. So I had to check it out.

It's a funny scene but maybe also what's wrong with some modern horror movies. I guess kids and others think old horror movies are silly. That things should be more realistic like a home invasion type horror. I don't know what happened. Maybe I just watched horror movies at the right age for them to really work. Or I had more of an appreciation for movies than modern kids.

But on to Halloween Kills, I forgot some of what happened during the 2018 movie. And part of me thinks that they might have ignored some of the events in that movie. I did see some clips from the 2018 movie afterwards and it made me think the actions of a character didn't make sense. Actually the actions of a few characters don't make sense. And that's the problem with this movie. What I thought was going to be a smart vigilante justice movie turned out to be really silly. And Myers at times reminded me of Jason to the point where I think they broke this reboot series.

I did like the performances. Seeing Anthony Michael Hall is always cool since he was in a bunch of funny 80s movies. He really is the lead in this movie and has a bunch of funny moments in Halloween Kills. And Kyle Richards is good in the movie as well although she has a moment that reminded me of Friday the 13th. Halloween Kills is probably far more humorous than it should be especially after the 2018 reboot. I spoiled what they are talking about for the sequel and it doesn't sound like a good idea or what they said they were doing after the 2018 movie. So I'm really not looking forward to that.

One last thing, I didn't mention Jamie Lee Curtis. I always look forward to her movies. But her best moment in this movie is early on. Which is another reason this movie is a let down.

--

Some final stuff. I wanted to see all of these this year but only saw this one. I'll check out the rest next year. But I love the idea of a mystery or secret history in known areas.

You guys mentioned Thriller around here somewhere. I think people were looking for an HD version. And someone on the Horror.com forum wanted to do a horror music and songs topic. For some reason, my first thought went to Thriller and this old Jackson's video.

I saw this when I was young and it freaked me out. It's still surreal and creepy.

Next year will be better. We had zero people for trick or treat two years in a row now. I'll see more movies too when schedules are back to normal.

baggio, f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK and 8 others like this.
  13. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Active Member

18 Under Wraps (1997)

I saw CPT HOOK post on the corny remake from 2021, so I went with the original from 1997. Wife and I enjoyed this one. Light family fun, a bit goofy at times, but not much. Had some good laughs, especially the scene with the Mummy in the hospital and when they disguise him with clothes.

CPT HOOK, Rocker10, f.ramses and 4 others like this.
  14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

29. Dr. Jekyll vs The Werewolf (Leon Klimovsky, 1972)

[​IMG]

I finished the season with this, the 5th (or 6th) Waldemar Daninsky Wolf Man movie. It wasn't one of the stronger ones. In fact, it's probably my least favorite of the series so far. The story is just kind of cobbled together, and doesn't have much of a plot. The werewolf makeup is fairly plain and inexpressive, and the titular concept, while interesting, isn't exactly what you might hope. Daninsky is (eventually) treated by the original Jekyll's grandson to try to cure his lycanthropy. The idea is that if Daninsky becomes Jekyll/Hyde, then Hyde will overpower the werewolf urge. Then, once the werewolf is gone, they will give Daninsky the antidote and he will no longer be Hyde. Or something like that. So the Jekyll vs Werewolf idea (more accurately Mr. Hyde vs The Werewolf) is actually an internal struggle, rather than a physical confrontation. It allows Naschy to play Mr. Hyde, which is great, but ultimately it's a bit of a let down. Jack Taylor also co-stars as Dr. Jekyll. Again, that's a little disappointing, because we could have had a Jack Taylor vs Paul Naschy finale. But we don't. All this is not to say that I didn't enjoy it. Naschy getting the chance to play Hyde is worthwhile on it's own.

Happy Halloween, everybody. It's been a lot of fun, as usual.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Catching up on the last couple days of the month:

[​IMG]
    Movie 37:
    Unknown Dimension: The Story of Paranormal Activity (2021)
    First Time Viewing (Paramount Plus)
    *** (out of 5)

For being a series popular during the DVD era, the Paranormal Activity discs were always pretty barebones. You'd get an alternate cut and some deleted scenes, but it seemed like the studio was so insistent that people believe the movies were real that they didn't want to include many behind-the-scenes stories. This new documentary works best when exploring the highs and lows of one of the most influential modern horror franchises. Unfortunately, it stumbles out of the gate trying to establish the history of found footage and at the end when it just turns into a commercial for the 7th installment.

[​IMG]
    Movie 38:
    Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Rewatch (Scream Factory Blu-ray, Director's Cut)
    ****1/2 (out of 5)
    30. MARTINI SHOT: Blow off some Challenge steam with a hardy party scene.

Every '80s horror and college cliche blended together into a wonderful slurry of entertainment. I may have grown up on The Monster Squad, but this is my fav Fred Dekker joint.

[​IMG]
    Movie 39:
    Venom (2005)
    First Time Viewing (Dimension DVD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    31. THAT’S A RAP: Watch one with a rapper-turned-actor in it, even if Samuel L. Jackson does not approve.

Hatchet without the humor. Considering the humor is my least favorite part of that franchise, you'd think I'd have liked this one more.

16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 31st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

82) Last Night in Soho: An aspiring fashion designer moves to London where she is plagued by ghostly visions. I’m a huge Edgar Wright fan and have been eagerly waiting to see this, and it was quite good. It’s without question the most straight forward and dramatic out of Wright’ filmography. Be warned, this is a slow burn, and the creepier horror elements don’t really come into play until the hour mark, but once things heat up, it’s very rewarding. The Cinematography from Chung-hoon Chung – Director Park-Chan Wook’s right hand man – is absolutely breathe taking, really capturing the atmosphere, and absorbing you into the dark underbelly of London’s past. The acting is top notch as well, with lead Thomasin McKenzie really owning the role. The major grip I have with this, unfortunately, is Mckenzie’s ability to see supernatural happening
    It is alluded to – around the midway point - that her character has some sort of sixth sense when her grandmother asks if she sees her mother – who committed suicide years earlier – and if she is with her. That is just speculation on my part, because later on in the film she confuses the identity of the killer, who turns out to be Anya Taylor Joy, with Terrance Stamp.
    That aside, I really enjoyed this film, which serves as a love letter to Old Hollywood, Giallo’s, and supernatural horror. (7/10)

83) Silver Bullet: This is probably one of the more under appreciated film adaptations of Stephen King’s work, and one of the most underrated Werewolf films ever. I love the blend of dark humor with legit scares – that nightmare sequences still creeps me out – and it’s complimented with fantastic casting, including stellar performances from Gary Busey and Cory Haim. The Special effects are cool, even if they dwarf in comparison to other greats of the subgenre, but there is a certain charm to the transformation sequences that I love.

84) Dracula: Prince of Darkness: I never seem to watch anything Hammer Horror related around Halloween – despite owning a number of them on bluray – and thought I’d pop in one of my favorites. Sure, the sequels to “Horror of Dracula” all kind of bleed together, but this one always stands out as one of the best. It also features one of my favorite ways in which the Count is dispensed at the end of the film. A great time as usual.

85) Deep Red: Easily one of Argento’s best, featuring an amazing score, gory deaths, and the perfect atmosphere. The 4K restoration from Arrow Films really brings out the best in this film. A lest we forget a death by garbage truck.

86) Halloween II (1981): It’s been a while since I watched this one – or any film in the franchise on Halloween night – and after the disaster that was “Halloween Kills” I needed to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Without question this is my favorite sequel in the franchise.

87) Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island: I was a huge Scooby-Doo fan as a kid and watched this one all the time on VHS. It’s been a number of years, but the nostalgia is strong with this one.

88) Psycho (1960): And, as usual, I end the month with Hitchcock’s “Psycho”. An all time classic that never gets old. Everything about this film is just perfect.

17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I started Halloween Eve and pretty much watched movies back to back till I passed out around 2am Halloween night. These are what I got it:

Candyman (original) blu ray

The Witches of Eastwick (streaming)

The Nightmare before Christmas (blu)

Halloween (blu)

Halloween 2 (blu)

Hocus Pocus (dvd)

Idle Hands (blu)

Trick r Treat (blu)

Halloween 3 Season of the Witch (blu)

All Hallows Eve (dvd)

The Guest (blu)

Drank 20ish beers, ate a ton of junk, door bell rang maybe 3-4 times with trick r treaters. It was a half way decent Halloween, I enjoyed myself.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'd watch Eliza Dushku sit in a chair and just flip me the bird for an hour and a half, so yeah, I added this to my Netflix queue.

19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 53:
    Zombie 3 (1988)

Maybe having your secret bio-weapons lab next door to a tropical resort wasn't such a cool idea...

[​IMG]

Movie # 54:
    Harvest Of Fear (2004)

This slasher was more a harvest of zzzz's. Although there were one or two times I chuckled at something dumb that happened.

[​IMG]

Movie # 55:
    Slaughterhouse Rock (1988)

Combining the post Elm Street supernatural slasher craze with the brief prison set horror movie fad. The whole rock and roll thing isn't a big part of the film sadly. I was hoping for a rock band vs. demonic killer. But the movie is still a lot of cheesy '80's fun. I dug the movie's look, the Devo score and the killer's backstory.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 31st: The Lamp

Lamp.png

The Lamp is the story of a powerful supernatural creature who is bound the titular artefact. This creature, known as a Djinn, likes to kill random people when it isn't busy perverting the wishes of the lamp's keeper. Only one wish is made in this movie, btw. The Lamp kinda rubbed me the wrong way. For a movie wherein the antagonist potentially has the power to make anything happen, you'd expect the deaths to be more gory and fantastical. Instead, it just feels workmanlike. Two dudes are cut in half, and I'm sure they used the same lower half of the body on both occasions. It's like Chopping Mall, only with a museum instead of a mall, and magic instead of technology. But Chopping Mall is a lot more energetic and fun.

October 31st: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

Jason.png

When I watch any of the Fridays that came before it, I never think to myself: "This is the Jason who eventually will evolve into a body-hopping monstrosity in Jason Goes to Hell." For many fans of the franchise, this is their least favorite, and it's definitely in the category of 'one of these is not like the others.' Still, it has too many good moments for me to dislike it. The gore is excellent, including a torso split in two, a chin smashed deep into the face, another face smashed through a grid, and what is perhaps the best melting man of the decade. The 70's had The Incredible Melting Man, the 80's had Emil in Robocop, and the 90's had Deputy Josh in JGtH. Speaking of Deputy Josh, I watched the uncut Scream Factory Blu-ray, and I don't remember Josh locking lips with Robert quite so intensely as he passes Jason to him. Also, I really like the look of Jason in this one - he appears to no longer be the rotting undead corpse we saw in Jason Lives, The New Blood, and Jason Takes Manhattan. Rather, he appears hideously mutated, with the mask practically fused to his bulbous, misshapen head. Of course, we don't get a lot of Jason, as he is blown up in the beginning, but we do get one good jump scare before that happens. JGtH also introduces Creighton Duke, a character who essentially fills the same shoes as Dr. Loomis does in Halloween - except Duke knows an awful lot about Jason, including his weaknesses and supernatural qualities, and he hasn't even met him! Still, I'll take Creighton Duke over Freddie Harris in Halloween: Resurrection any day.