The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, lowered expectations are definitely in order here. Jeffrey Combs is the best thing going for it.

f.ramses and indrid13 like this.
  2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Even that couldn't save it for me. It does feel like a much "safer" sequel. Workman-like and conspicuously lacking the crazed energy of the first (and to some degree, the second).

f.ramses, indrid13 and dave13 like this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 16TH:

[​IMG]

44. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episodes 3 & 4 "A Gorilla Head Will Not Do" & "Hot Shrimp Salad" (Amazon Prime ) - If I thought the first two episodes were bad, these were just a boring incoherent mess. Unlike the movies, there is no killer costume, therefore we don't even see the killer. And since they can't show the killer, we don't see the kills, only the aftermath when they're found. In addition to that, in episode three we don't even see the main cast find the body, we see them go in the building and then run out. There's no consistency between the twin characters, and since the whole show hinges on that twist (characters thinking she's the wrong twin), it's nearly impossible to tell what is going on. I'm not sure why I came back for more but this show is just awful on every conceivable level. Too bad we never got the Mike Flanagan remake.

SLUMBER.png

45. Slumber Party Massacre (2021) (SyFy / DVR) - This one gets aggressively meta as it goes along, and while I would have preferred a more straight-ahead driller killer thriller like the originals, I can't really complain because this one delivered where it counts. Good kills, chases, and just a whole lot of fun. Decent homages to the first two movies and they even use the opening credits score from the original. As far as modern slasher movies go, this one gets a lot right. I'll definitely be adding the blu-ray to my collection.

OCTOBER 17TH:

KILLER CAMP.png

46. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 2 "Don't Lose Your Head" (CW / DVR) - This episode left me sad because it was way too early to kill off this character. Another highly entertaining episode of this season's biggest guilty pleasure. Unfortunately, the ratings are not there and the CW made the decision to pull the series from their schedule after the second episode. No more Killer Camp this October. So, fuck you CW! The episodes are done, so might as well just release them. Hopefully Handyman Bruce will pay the CW executives a visit.

DEADLY.png

47. Deadly Friend (1986) (Blu-ray) - Beep. Beep beep beep beep BB. Beep beep beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep beep beep BB.
    I never really looked up any background on this movie before, but Scream Factory's extras illuminate why this feels like a made-for-TV movie with bursts of crazy R-rated gore. Well, I guess technically X-rated. Anyway, fun movie.

OCTOBER 18TH:

[​IMG]

48. You Season 3 Episodes 6 - 10 "W.O.M.B." "We're All Mad Here" "Swing And A Miss" "Red Flag" "What Is Love?" (NetFlix) - Terrific series, I didn't want it to end. Sherry and Cary steal the second half of the season. I'm not sure about where the season ends in terms of where it means season four will go, but thoroughly enjoyed this season as much as I did the first two. Currently the #1 show on NetFlix, and for once the mainstream gets it right. Highly recommended.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

49. Superstition (1982) (Blu-ray) - Crazy splatter fun. Some of the olden timey flashbacks and whatnot are a bit sluggish, but the final 20 minutes with the family in the house and the bombastic score are terrific. Right from the beginning where you get a couple making out in front of a haunted house, a severed head in a microwave, and a kid chopped in half by a window, it's pretty clear the big concern here is style, gore, and slasher movie thrills over plot and logic. Great fun.

OCTOBER 19TH:

OLD.png

50. Old (2021) (Blu-ray) - This started out a bit messy and all over the place, but stick with it. At a certain point, everything starts coming together, and from there it becomes a twisted fun little Twilight Zone style story. For a PG-13, I was surprised by the amount of blood, nastiness, nudity, and sleaziness (the, um, pregnancy...). It's an interesting concept, and Shyamalan isn't afraid to explore some pretty creative facets of it. Really cool little movie, I liked it a lot.

[​IMG]

51. Chucky Episode 2 "Give Me Something Good To Eat" (SyFy / DVR) - I'm loving this series, and even though this episode doesn't progress the story very far, we are essentially getting a Chucky Halloween special. This show is a real treat for horror fans, and I hope everyone is watching. We need the ratings to be high enough for Don Mancini to keep playing in this world for as long as he creatively sees fit. Must see TV.

HAPPY HELL.png

52. Happy Hell Night (1992) (Blu-ray) - Fun little frat house B-movie with one of the creepiest killers you're likely to find in a slasher flick. Great atmosphere and definitely delivers the body count and thrills, although it gets a little sloppy late in the movie, especially in regards to the editing. Once the killer reaches the frat house, the bodies pile up pretty quickly, so characters are suddenly dead or missing then reappearing, etc. I find it charming though. I have the barebones Code Red blu-ray, but apparently the UK got all the extras, including an interview with Jorja Fox! Surprising to see a big CSI star (probably still making obscene amounts from residuals alone) eager to talk about the trashy slasher movie where she got her start. I'd love to see the extras!

Previous Entries:
    1. Girls School Screamers (1985)
    2. No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Black As Night (2021)
    4. Coming Home In The Dark (2021)
    5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Bingo Hell (2021)
    7. Blades (1989)
    8. Lost After Dark (2015)
    9. The Ghosting (1992)
    10. Midnight (1982)
    11. A Day Of Judgment (1981)
    12. Death On Demand (2008)
    13. Creepshow: Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5 "Pipe Screams / Within The Walls Of Madness" & "Night Of The Living Late Show"
    14. Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2021)
    15. Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992)
    16. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 1 "Sequels That Don't Suck"
    17. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
    18. V/H/S/94 (2021)
    19. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 8 "Inside"
    20. House Of Death (aka Death Screams) (1982)
    21. Welcome To The Blumhouse: The Manor (2021)
    22. House Of Wax (2005)
    23. Welcome To The Blumhouse: Madres (2021)
    24. Slugs (1988)
    25. Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 3 Episode 2 "Infections"
    26. Midnight Mass Episodes 1 - 4 "Book I: Genesis" "Book II: Psalms" "Book III: Proverbs" "Book IV: Lamentations"
    27. Killer Camp Season 2 Episode 1 "A Smashing Sequel"
    28. Hallow's End (2003)
    29. The Walking Dead Season 11 Episodes 7 & 8 "Promises Broken" & "For Blood"
    30. Devil's Night (aka Left For Dead) (2007)
    31. Have A Nice Weekend (1975)
    32. Sorority Kill (1974)
    33. Chucky Episode 1 "Death By Misadventure"
    34. Day Of The Dead Episode 1 "The Thing In The Hole"
    35. The Caretaker (2008)
    36. The Disappointments Room (2016)
    37. Midnight Mass Episodes 5 - 7 "Book V: Gospels" "Book VI: Act Of The Apostles" "Book VII: Revelation"
    38. Evil Breed: The Legend Of Samhain (2003)
    39. American Horror Story: Double Feature Part 2: Death Valley Episode 9 "Blue Moon"
    40. I Know What You Did Last Summer Episodes 1 & 2 "It's Thursday" & "It's Not Just For Dog Shit"
    41. Halloween Kills (2021)
    42. You Season 3 Episodes 1 - 5 "And They Lived Happily Ever After" "So I Married An Axe Murderer" "Missing White Woman Syndrome" "Hands Across Madre Linda" "Into The Woods"
    43. Alone In The Dark (1982)

4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 33:
    Switch Killer (2005)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    16. VIDEO STORE DAY: This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don’t have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

I guess you'd call this transploitation. An abusive boyfriend finds out his girlfriend has dumped him for another girl, gets a sex change and begins stalking her. Bumping off her friends and coworkers. I bought this years ago when one of the local videos was going out of business. Finally decided to give it a watch. The Vegas setting is colorful, the nudity plentiful and gore was decent. Honestly it reminded me of the movie Hatchetman. I wouldn't say it's a good slasher, but I was entertained in a bad movie sort of way.

[​IMG]

Movie # 34:
    Ghoulies IV (1994)

It's a kind of magic. Pure, unadulterated cheese. Part 4 is fun and the first direct sequel to part 1.

[​IMG]

Movie # 35:
    Dementia 13 (1963)
    17. HEADS OFF AT THE PASS: Something with a decapitation in it.

Francis Ford Coppla's stylish blend of Hitchcock and giallo. There's a creepy dream like quality to the movie that's perfect for late night viewings.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 18th

MURDER ROCK (1984)

[​IMG]

An upscale dance academy in New York City is the setting for our story. Instructor Candice Norman (Olga Karlatos) inspires competition while driving the students to step up their game in the hopes of landing entertainment gigs. A major disruption to the status quo arrives when one of the dancers after a night class gets attacked by a mystery figure in the locker room. First she is subdued by chloroform and then stabbed through the heart with an oversized pin. Many suspects are lurking about. Willy (Christian Borromeo), boyfriend of the victim is one. Yet another is school director Dick Gibson (Claudio Cassinelli). Then what about washed up male model George Webb (Ray Lovelock) who has an infamous history with younger attractive ladies? Police Lieutenant Borges (Cosimo Cienieri) will have the same miserable look on his face for the duration as her ponders who might be responsible?

Ever watch a movie where you just kept getting interrupted and find that a 90 minute feature takes many hours to finish? That was the case with my first viewing this week of Murder Rock. This would be the first Lucio Fulci horror film since New York Ripper and Manhattan Baby (both from 1982). Maybe it was the unpleasant way I watched it, but can't say I enjoyed this all too much. Despite a black gloved killer and concealing the killer's identity, this really does not feel like a Fulci film. Product of its time no doubt with Flashdance (1983) and Fame style musical numbers. There's even a breakdancing portion to shrug off. More like a music video at times, this just didn't push the right buttons for me. Ray Lovelock (Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Queens of Evil) doesn't show up right away, but gets a significant role that stands out from a bunch of uninspired performances from others. Al Cliver (Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Beyond) turns in a cameo as a police department voice analyst. Cliver does not have his usual counterpart dubbing him into English this time.

Kino Lorber offers a decent presentation here. Too bad this is clearly second-tier Fulci with not too much worthy of recommending.

6. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 20

87. Dawn Of The Beast (2021) Prime - A group of graduate students go searching for Bigfoot and up finding much more than they bargained for, the Wendigo. Not a perfect movie in any way, but was kind of fun when shit gets crazy with the Wendigos. Bigfoot makes the needed appearance as well.

88. Penance Lane (2020) Prime - Tyler Mane stars as an ex-con who takes a job as a handyman at a house and finds out there is much more going on here. He also has other reasons for taking the job. This movie features Mane and Scout-Taylor Compton who both worked together in Rob Zombie's 2 Halloween remakes. It also features John Schneider in one of his more sinister roles. I thought this one was okay too. Kind of brainless fun if you don't go in expecting too much.

89. Night Of The Creeps (1986) Blu - Alien brain parasites come to earth and enter the bodies of victims and turn them into killer zombies. I upgraded to the newer Shout version with both cuts of the film. I watched the director's cut which is slightly longer and enjoyed it. Been a while since I watched this.

90. The Raven (1935) Blu - Another Karloff/Lugosi collaboration that features Lugosi as a doctor who really digs instruments of torture. He does some work on Karloff and really jacks up his facial appearance. He also develops an infatuation for a young socialite who was brought to him after an accident. Another classic. Only just over an hour in length, but quite effective.

~Rocker10

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

16. Scream (Wes Craven, 1996)

[​IMG]

I suggested this to my 9-year-old daughter. When I showed her the cover she looked at it for a minute and then pronounced: "It looks old." That made me laugh. She liked it. We'll see if she's interested in watching the sequels with me. I've promised her that if she sticks with them, eventually we will get to watch part 5 together, which will be quite "new" - so I imagine she will find that a relief.

I can't figure out if they were planning ahead really well by casting Liev Schreiber in the 2-second shot of Cotton Weary, or if everyone involved just got lucky on that one.

17. Giant from the Unknown (Richard E. Cunha, 1958)

[​IMG]

I'd never heard of this one, but it was a really nice surprise. A slightly darker, slightly scarier variation on the typical 1950's horror/sci-fi monster-on-the-loose cliche (which I'm already a sucker for). I think the strong use of location played a big part in the effectiveness of this. There's something ominous about the real forests in which parts of the movie are set. Performances are all earnest, which helps, and the titular Giant is fairly effective and menacing, if you're in the mood to go along with the film.

Spoiler: I don't know what that poster is on about - it did not come from another world.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 20th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

October Madness staples for me every year, and some of my favorite horror comedies of all time.

47) Fright Night (1985)

48) Killer Klowns from Outer Space

49) Monster Squad

50) Night of the Creeps

9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

* = First Time Viewing

Death Laid an Egg (1968)*
    This is an odd one. I think it's seen as a Giallo but it has none of the staples of the genre, it's not a whodunit, at all, but rather a narrative of backstabbing characters. Story follows a couple in a slightly toxic relationship running a poultry farm. The husband, Marco (Jean-Louis Trintignant), is cheating with the young blonde houseguest (Ewa Aulin) who in turn is plotting with her boyfriend to undo him. Marco also appears to engage in killing prostitutes (or does he??) in his spare time. The Nucleus Films Blu has the director's cut which includes scenes never dubbed into English (sort of like the long cut of Deep Red) but this is one of those situations where the restored scenes do nothing to further the story. 99% is talk about innovations in chicken farming or incidental, redundant dialogue. The film has long, long stretches of action completely unrelated to the narrative making it a curious viewing experience. The score, a lot of "jazz-y" random musical bursts, is effective in creating suspense I guess, but left me untethered from the characters and plot as well. I'll always watch any Giallo, and this had my attention, but geez, what a weird one.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

October 19th

The Final Girls (2015)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been wanting to see this one for a while. Really enjoyed it. Love the directing style.

The irony, I'm the one who started a thread for the movie in 2015. Just saw it last night.:eek::p

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, you're way behind....two of the cast members have already gotten married.

hots4, indrid13 and baggio like this.
  12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 24:
    Death Game (1977)
    First Time Viewing (Cinema Pops DVD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    19. CAN’T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKIN’?: When you let an unexpected guest in, you may be in for a long night.

Interesting setup devolves into a cacophony of screaming by the two crazy teens. Best part is that the thing Cassel finds most offensive about them is that they are slobs. "Aren't you hot girls? What is all this ketchup doing everywhere?!"

[​IMG]
    Movie 25:
    The Deadly Spawn (1983)
    Rewatch (Synapse DVD)
    ****1/2 (out of 5)

Micro-budget ingenuity reminiscent of The Evil Dead may lack Raimi's visual style, but the gruesome FX and well rounded characters put The Deadly Spawn near the top of the heap when it comes to '80s video store cheapies.

[​IMG]
    Movie 26:
    The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    Rewatch (Scream Factory's Vincent Price Collection Blu-ray box set)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    20. CASTLEMANIA: Something that takes place in, where else, a castle.

Price and his cadre of rich sycophants are so fun to watch that it's a disappointment whenever the film cuts to villagers or extended '60s "trippy horror" sequences.

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

[​IMG]
    The Abomination – A guy’s mother coughs up a creature that she believes to be a tumor, that night the creature crawls into him through his mouth and begins to grow, reproduce, and take control of him to make him go out and kill people for them to eat. Before long the whole house is full of these creatures that live under beds, in cabinets, washing machines, drawers, etc… It’s a pretty low budget movie that was shot on Super-8 and it drags a little but overall it’s pretty ambitious, has an OK story, and seems to have been done well; I like the way these things just live inside things in the home like that, everything looks normal until a cabinet or appliance opens up and one of these things is occupying the entire inside of it. It’s a shame that this doesn’t appear to have been released on any format other than VHS. I still remember trying for a while to get a copy of this back in the day but now ages later I can’t be bothered to get the tape and hook up a VCR so I just watched it on youtube instead... This one reminds me of The Deadly Spawn a bit and The Deadly Spawn reminds me of it, that and the mention of The Deadly Spawn in the post above got me to get my old DVD out; it's too bad that I didn't have time for a double feature tonight but maybe I'll revisit that one soon.

I notice that imdb and a few other sites list a 100 minute runtime for this one but hopefully they’re wrong since this one is only like 89 minutes or so.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    f0t0z00m, baggio, Colin and 7 others like this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 19th

AUTOPSY (1975)

[​IMG]

As a heatwave continues in Rome, a wave of bizarre suicides holds the city in a panic. Some believe it's caused by sunspots. Whatever the explanations may be, young doctor Simona Sanna (Mimsy Farmer) is having a tough time working at the morgue. She is also doing her master's thesis on real versus staged suicides. Disturbing as that research is, the number of corpses coming in is much worse. Job stress, anxiety, and insomnia make it hard to focus. Simona is experiencing some nightmarish visions of mangled corpses coming back to life and doing some unspeakable things. One of the latest suicide victims is brought in from a beach. Her priest brother Father Paul Lenox (Barry Primus) believes she was murdered. Could he be correct? Will a deeper investigation into the subject help with her thesis?

Autopsy is a film I never saw before this year. Watched it twice now on the Forgotten Gialli Collection Volume 3 from Vinegar Syndrome. In the first several minutes we see the short versions of random people taking their own lives in a number of disturbing ways. Right off at the bat, you can tell that this giallo film is going to be different. Unpredictable at times, sleazy and sweaty throughout - Autopsy is a truly macabre Italian horror film. Some gruesome imagery comes into the morgue. Several minutes inside of a crime museum is possibly even more stomach-turning. Mimsy Farmer is excellent as the tortured protagonist. The poor girl deals with perverts almost everywhere she goes it seems, worst example being an over-aggressive colleague. Dating her is a challenge. In this case, her boyfriend played by Ray Lovelock (Living Dead at Manchester Morgue) wants a normal sex life with her. Doesn't help that he is frequently an asshole to her. As if there weren't enough shady characters already, you get to meet such a clandestine priest who comes with quite a checkered past and prone to loose cannon behavior when slightly provoked.

I have enjoyed nearly all of the movies featured in the three volumes of Forgotten Gialli. Autopsy would be my favorite thus far. It's dark, daring, and never dull.

15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 21

91. 4/20 Massacre (2018) Prime - A group of women head up into the hills to go camping for one of their birthdays and end up in the middle of a marijuana harvesting operation. This movie missed a lot of opportunities in my opinion. It wasted too much time with meaningless dialog. The action does pick up towards the end, but a lot of time gets wasted. There also was some funny stuff here and there, but the film felt pretty average.

92. Primal Rage (2018) Prime - A drive through the mountains turns into a nightmare for a couple that have to deal with creatures, natives, etc. I kind of liked this one. It gets a bit odd in the final third of the movie, but has a pretty good feel up to that point. Some of the humor was fun and the actual kills towards the end get a bit crazy. I thought this one was a bigfoot film, but there was quite a bit more to it than just that.

93. Polaroid (2019) Netflix - A young women has an old polaroid camera given to her that has some dark secrets attached to it. As pictures are taken of people with it, they die after. This movie was okay. It borrows from other films with some of its ideas. Movies like Shutter came to mind or even The Ring to a small point.

94. Secrets In The Hot Spring (2018) Netflix - I had downloaded this a week or so ago, but had to focus on subtitles due to it being a film from Taiwan. Had to be pretty quick in places with that as well due to fast talking. A group of friends go to a family hotel and start seeing things that they can't explain. The movie was kind of fun and it was interesting to see another film from a different culture. It ended up being kind of a light hearted film with quite a bit of comedy. Obviously not a scary movie, just one with a few horror elements.

~Rocker10

f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK, baggio and 7 others like this.
  16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 36:
    The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
    18. ALL THUMBS: Picking up a hitchhiker can be risky...lift with your legs, not your back.

Ida Lupino's tense noir thriller about a hitchhiking serial killer and two vacationing buddies he takes hostage. The desert adds a bleak feeling to the film.

[​IMG]

Movie # 37:
    Sheltered (2010)

A bunch of partying jerk-offs take shelter during a storm in the house of psychopath. Slightly above average low budget slasher. The victims are all assholes, but the killer is kind of fun. He comes across as a warped Clark Kent.

Rocker10, hots4, CPT HOOK and 6 others like this.
  17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

IMG_20211022_082318.jpg

First time viewing of this. Picked up the dvd recently and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the Vestron release.

So much fun here. This one is right up my ally and have no clue why I never gave this one a chance in the past. Poor Marty........

18. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Pretty much the same reaction here the first time I saw this one. Seems like it would make a good double feature with The Redeemer but I've never remembered to watch them back to back.

Natas and indrid13 like this.
  19. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 21st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still on my horror comedy binge and decided to go with some more recent ones. I haven't watch Raimi's "Drag Me to Hell" in over a decade and glad to see it still holds up and I think I appreciate more now how great a return to the genre it was for him. "The Editor" is a fantastic satire of Italian Giallo's - with all the violent deaths, gratuitous nudity, and a killer with an obscenely convoluted motive - for a hysterical ride. And then you got horror comedy from down under with "Housebound" and "100 Bloody Acres"

51) Drag Me to Hell

52) The Editor

53) Housebound

54) 100 Bloody Acres

20. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m Active Member

6. The Addams Family (2019)

7. The Addams Family 2 (2021)
    Fun animated movies. Wife and I enjoyed them. I like the second one better. I thought the animation was impressive.

8. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010)
    Been wanting to see this for a while. It did not disappoint. I laughed so hard my eyes were watering. Great concept, great cast, executed perfectly. This is one I will definitely revisit in future October viewings. Big fan of Alan Tudyk, thought he was hilarious in the recent Sci Fi show Resident Alien.

9. Tales From the Darkside : The Movie (1990)
    Fun anthology movie. I really liked this one. Great cast, good stories and loved the special effects.

10. Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)
    Watched this one because William Shatner was in it. I was expecting it to be awful, but I actually enjoyed it. It had a certain charm to it. The Arizona scenery was beautiful. Liked the ending or lack of one.

11. Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
    Good Sci fi horror. Wife and I enjoyed it. The story kept me interested and intrigued throughout.