The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2021!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2021.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

17th October

Tattoo (1981)

Karl Kinsky, an unbalanced tattoo artist, becomes dangerously obsessed with Maddy, a model he meets when he's hired to paint temporary tattoos on a group of women for a photo shoot. As his obsession grows, Kinsky becomes increasingly determined that Maddy should bear his "mark" ... forever.

This was a film I'd always been interested in seeing and after another member mentioned it and noted it was available to view on YouTube (thank you) I had to check it out.

I got to say I enjoyed it, there's not s great deal that goes on here and the ending was a bit hammy. But Bruce Dern was fantastic in the lead role, he pervade a wonderfully subtle unhinged quality and Maud Adams wow that lady was sexy and beautiful, so where the story was a little lacking these two more than made up for it.

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 27:
    Chopping Mall (1986)

No, nothing gets chopped. But a head does get exploded real good. Honestly, you can't go wrong with Chopping Mall, it's an '80's delight.

[​IMG]

Movie # 28:
    Parents (1989)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    14. SPOILED ALERT!: Watch something with grotesque eating in it. Or at least some expired food. Yuck.

What if David Lynch directed an episode of Leave It to Beaver?

[​IMG]

Movie # 29:
    Cyberstalker (1996)
    15. KILLED BY TECHNOLOGY: The gadgets will getcha (<-autocorrect that one, phone).

Jeffrey Combs plays a drug addict indie comic creator in what feels like somebody got an X-Files script mixed up with an Law and Order SVU script. Really bad '90's CGI ensues.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK, baggio and 6 others like this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 17

73. Grizzly (1976) Blu - This is a yearly favorite. Not much to say with this one other than I catch it at least once a year or so.

74. Day Of The Animals (1977) Blu - I remember when the politics around this movie got some steam. The aerosol can thing that was burning a hole in the atmosphere and there were regulations put into effect regarding this. The movie goes a bit further with animals in the wild being affected and becoming very aggressive. Leslie Nielson really stole the show here.

75. The Final Terror (1983) Blu - I always like to go back to these movies where the source material no longer exists or is missing and the release was completed with what they could find. This movie I find to actually be pretty decent in its atmosphere and the location. Also some actors and actresses that younger generations may not be familiar with, but did go on to some bigger things.

76. Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954) Blu - I was tempted to dig out the 3D glasses and watch this movie that way, but eventually opted for 2D instead. It's a classic and always a treat around Halloween.

77. What Lies Beneath (2000) Blu - This one just came out on blu-ray. I remembered liking it many years ago and it has been at least that long since I watched it last. The story is about a possible ghost that is residing in the main couples house with the parts being played by Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer. It ends up getting deeper with some twists. I remembered the ending about a half hour in, but still enjoyed the viewing.

78. The Crazies (2010) Blu - There are a few remakes that I like quite well. I remembered seeing this one when it was first released and enjoying it quite a bit. It retains the Trixie storyline from Romero's original version and I thought Timothy Oliphant did a great job in the lead role. I'll probably watch a couple of the other remakes I dig and mention those in my writeups later.

~Rocker10

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 17th: Caltiki, the Immortal Monster

Caltiki.png

I like big, shapeless monsters. For some reason, I did not like Caltiki as much as I had expected when I first saw it. It does have a few problems, mainly with the overreliance on miniatures - towards the end in particular, when the army is called in to defeat the monster. First, soldiers with flamethrowers are deployed, which is fine. Then the tanks sent in, and they are the worst miniatures in the world. They look like little toys rolling about in a model diorama. At times Caltiki itself looks excellent - a throbbing, fleshy mass - while at others, it looks like a bundled wet rag. There are some cool, gory effects, such as when a small bit of Caltiki attaches itself to a man's arm and dissolves his flesh right down to the bone. He then spends most of the movie running around with this slimy, skeletal hand sticking out of his sleeve. Why the doctors didn't amputate immediately I do not know, as the appendage was obviously beyond saving. Still, the story is engaging enough, and I enjoyed its 50's charm much more on this second viewing. Now I want to revisit The Quatermass Xperiment or see X: The Uknown.

CPT HOOK, Rocker10, baggio and 6 others like this.
  5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

12. Two Orphan Vampires (Jean Rollin, 1997)

[​IMG]

I usually enjoy Rollin's dreamy style of cinema, but this ended up being a bit of a bore. It wasn't terrible. I liked the dynamic between the two leads. The film has an episodic structure where the girls meet various supernatural beings as they explore the city at night, and each of those new encounters was interesting. But it's just too long. This movie needed to be 75 minutes, not 100. Apparently he adapted it from a series of his own books, so I guess it's no surprise it turned out the way it did.

13. Crawl (Alexandre Aja, 2019)

[​IMG]

As far as new movies go, this one was fine I guess. It sets itself up nicely, and I really found myself enjoying the first half. The somewhat grounded-in-reality beginning is abandoned around the halfway mark as the circumstances become more and more contrived, the characters become superhuman in their ability to take punishment, and the alligators become maliciously calculating monsters. Add in some terrible dialogue, and the last half does a lot to diminish the goodwill earned by the first. It doesn't completely ruin it, but it probably could have been a lot better.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

* = First Time Viewing

Schramm (1993)*
    Is this really horror? I'd previously seen director Jorg Buttgereit's Nekromantik and Nekromantik 2 (the former's final scene eliciting maybe the hardest laughter I've ever laughed in my life) but I've been lazy in following up watching the director's Schramm and Der Todesking. Story very, very loosely based on serial killer Carl Pazram I take it, kind of follows a lonely killer's flashbacks during his dying moments. Even if we forgive how crudely assembled the story/16mm & 8mm film is and view it as a character study, it falls short of saying anything more profound; it either doesn't get there or gets lost in Buttgereit's desire to shock and gross out the audience. I always judge a film on what it wants to be, not against other films and to that end, it wasn't terrible, though I imagine the amateurishness of the filmmaking will lose 99% of viewers. Two bright spots? The film's flashbacks to Schramm's youth and former life are surprisingly poignant and the score is outstanding in a John Carpenter kind of way. It's simple stuff but sets a mood. I actually ripped the soundtrack of the CD (from the Sex. Murder.Art. box set) because I liked it so much.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie 20:
    Killdozer (1974)
    First Time Viewing (Kino Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    15. KILLED BY TECHNOLOGY: The gadgets will getcha (<-autocorrect that one, phone).

Maybe I'm a sociopath or something, but I've never understood the trope of a character reacting to a friend's death by going crazy and putting everyone else in danger because of their grief.

[​IMG]
    Movie 21:
    The Company of Wolves (1984)
    First Time Viewing (ITV Studios UK Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    16. VIDEO STORE DAY: This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don’t have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

The box art for this always screamed out to me as a kid ("the wolf comes out of his mouth?!"), but the movie didn't totally work and I really would've been bored had I rented it back then. Gorgeous production design and unique werewolf transformations are what I'll remember most.

[​IMG]
    Movie 22:
    Cellar Dweller (1988)
    First Time Viewing (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    *** (out of 5)
    17. HEADS OFF AT THE PASS: Something with a decapitation in it.

Stars the director of Good Burger as a guy everyone calls "kid" even though he's the same age as them.

[​IMG]
    Movie 23:
    Hitch-Hike (1977)
    First Time Viewing (Blue Underground DVD)
    *** (out of 5)
    18. ALL THUMBS: Picking up a hitchhiker can be risky...lift with your legs, not your back.

Was digging this sleazy suspense picture until about the final 15 minutes. I like what the ending is going for, but the "how" was so slapdash as to drop the rating a bit.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 17th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

39) Day of the Beast: A priest, a record store clerk, and a tv psychic team up to prevent the birth of the Antichrist. A hilarious and gory horror/comedy from Spain that I’m glad has been resurrected from obscurity. Playing out like a buddy comedy, the unlikely trio of unlikely heroes bring out the best of the material, with an equally entertaining and hysterical supporting cast. The Satanic shenanigans don’t really come into play until the final act, but I was having to good a time to let it bother me. I will admit the ending was a bit underwhelming, but overall, this was one of the most entertaining films I watched this month. (7/10)

40) Don’t Panic: Michael receives a Ouija board for his 17th birthday and unleashes a malevolent being. I can’t decide if this was absolutely idiotic or unintentionally brilliant. “Don’t Panic” is one of the odder “Nightmare on Elm Street” rip offs I’ve ever seen. We have an annoying lead in Michael, who dresses and behaves like a child (dude wears dinosaur pj’s), and a villain with an undefined motive. The story is an absolute mess, wanning between bad melodrama, unfunny teen comedy, and a weird blend of supernatural and slasher horror. The subplots are distracting and stupid, and the behavior of every character is perplexing. There is a pretty cool CGI effect with a face coming out of a television, but other than that the practical effects are not good. I found myself laughing out loud several times, but overall, this was a lousy excuse of a slasher film. (4/10)

**Both titles are streaming on Shudder.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 16th

BURNT OFFERINGS (1976)

[​IMG]

Looking to escape city life, Ben (Oliver Reed) and wife Marian Rolf (Karen Black) rent a summer home in the countryside. Mansion is much more like it, with acres of land and no neighbors nearby. Joining them are 12 year old son Davey (Lee Montgomery) and Ben's aunt Elizabeth (Bette Davis). Seems like a "too good to be true" scenario as the Allardyce siblings (landlords) are asking a mere $900.00 for the season. The owners do have one request though. That their 85 year old shut-in mother be looked after and provided three meals a day. Marian happily agrees to take on this chore personally, especially since the old lady is said to pretty much never leave her top floor bedroom. After moving in, family members behave in really strange ways. You know, the kind of things that happen when as a group you are dealing with: ghosts, possession, building regeneration, and dead things returning to life.

Adapted from a book of the same name, Burnt Offerings was brought to the big screen by director Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows, The Night Strangler, Trilogy of Terror). What really sells the picture is the mansion itself. Burnt Offerings was the first film shot at the Dunsmuir House in Oakland. This location would be used in the first Phantasm (1979) in addition to the final James Bond movie with Roger Moore - A View to a Kill (1985). Even though it's been documented they didn't get along with each other during the shoot - Oliver Reed, Karen Black and Bette Davis are all well cast and bring horror genre royalty to the story. Marian is the most susceptible to the power of the haunted house. Karen Black drastically changes her hair and wardrobe as if under a spell while growing distant from others, particularly Ben. The swimming pool is a magnet for evil energy, causing Ben to channel his inner Jack Torrance. Oliver Reed can be quite menacing in such moments. Other times, he shows vulnerability when haunted in nightmares and while awake by the ghost of a smiling hearse driver that dates back to the death of his Mom when he was a kid. Burgess Meredith has a memorable cameo as property owner Arnold Allardyce sporting bad hair and maybe a bit inebriated?

The twist that is built up comes as little surprise, yet the finale is rather bleak and chilling. The Haunting (1963) and The Legend of Hell House (1973) are probably my favorite haunted house films. Burnt Offerings is up there too, not quite sure where? This Blu-ray release from Arrow is a great way to revisit once again.

10. Rocker10

Day 18

79. Dementia 13 (1963) Blu - I was really not familiar with this film before the Vestron announcement, but due to my having all of the numbered Vestron titles, I had to stay complete. Got a chance to have a look today. I thought the film was decent enough. Apparently it's in its pure form the way Coppola intended. He mentions that other things were added in the past and he wasn't happy with it. This is his version.

80. Sundown: The Vampire In Retreat (1989) Blu - Another Vestron title that I hadn't cracked open yet. I can't remember if I had seen this before. I chased a lot of titles like this back in the 80's but might have passed on this odd vampire flick. I thought it was okay. I'm guessing most here have probably seen it.

81. Summer Of '84 (2018) Blu - This was the highlight of the day for me. I had been wanting to see it for some time and just got around to ordering it. I liked the nostalgia of the whole thing. The story progressed slow but steady and kept me interested the whole time. The ending definitely had its impact as well. Would definitely revisit this one. Was a bit disappointed that it arrived as a BD-R though.

82. The Fog (1980) Blu - Ended my day with this classic. It gets watched every year without fail. Not much else to say, it's a horror collectors essential title.

~Rocker10

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie # 30:
    The Perfect House (2012)

It's perfect crap. I'm fairly sure it was written by some 12 year old edgelord hyped up on Monster energy drinks after a marathon of the Hostel movies.

[​IMG]

Movie # 31:
    Hocus Pocus (1993)

Watched Hocus Pocus for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Was just as fun on the re-watch. Perfect Disney cheese for the holiday.

[​IMG]

Movie # 32:
    Black Gate (1995)

Remember that Discovery Channel show A Haunting? Black Gate looks and feels like an episode of that show but boring and with ghost banging and battles in Hell.

12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 18th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

41) The Creeping Flesh: A paleontologist returns to Victorian era England with an unidentified skeleton from Papua New Guinea. But when water contacts the specimen, it returns to life. A cheesy slice of old school gothic horror. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are fantastic as usual, playing waring scientist looking to make names for themselves and their respective discoveries. The film is mostly a reworking of the Frankenstein lore – with one too many parallels to Shelly’s novel – but the film still stands out with great performances and over-the-top horror madness. The final form of the creature is quite silly looking and gave me a good laugh, but this was still an entertaining schlock fest. (6/10)

42) Séance on a Wet Afternoon: A Medium and her husband stage a kidnapping to achieve fame and notoriety. A great crime thriller with phenomenal performances from Kim Stanley and Richard Attenborough. The animosity that exists between the couple is palpable throughout the film - with Stanley playing a narcissistic, know-it-all, and Attenborough as the meek, codependent – topped with their crazy plan of child abduction, and you have a real pressure cooker atmosphere. Things come to a head in the final act when a major revelation comes to our attention
    They had a stillborn child.
    which puts psychology between why the couple are doing what they are doing. Since our characters are flawed humans, the stakes only raise higher towards the climax, leading to a frustrating, but heartbreaking, conclusion. (7/10)

43) The Blood Drinkers: A nobleman unleashes undead forces on a small village to take their blood and resurrect his deceased wife. A truly bizarre B-movie from the Philippines that is about two steps above “Plan 9 from Outer Space” in terms of quality and makes just about as much sense plot wise. The film is horribly shot, featuring red and blue filters that permeate much of the runtime, don’t serve any real purpose, and are not easy on the eyes. The production quality is trash, and the acting isn’t much better, with Ronald Remy being the exception as he chews up the scenery while everyone else sleepwalks threw their performances. I did enjoy the two laughably bad fight sequences, but this one is just not worth the time. (3/10)

44) Magic: A famous ventriloquist looks to rekindle a romance with his high school sweetheart, but his dummy has other plans. A fantastic character study with superb performances. Anthony Hopkins is great in the lead role, playing an insecure, mild mannered – yet pathetic – individual struggling with fame and a desire for stability. There are also great performances here from the supporting cast, including Burgess Meredith as a sleazy, quick witted Hollywood agent, and Ann Margert plays a charming, but vulnerable woman, really breaking away from her sexpot 1960’s persona. I would say the film is a bit long in the tooth, but the final product is a great meditation on human psychology and the subconscious mind. (7/10)

** "The Creeping Flesh" is streaming on Amazon Prime. "Seance on a Wet Afternoon" is streaming on HBO Max. "The Blood Drinkers" and "Magic" are streaming on Tubi.

13. Angelman

* = First Time Viewing

The Murder Clinic (1966)*
    Nothing crazy here - run of the mill gothic-y Giallo. I will say I was mildly surprised at the reveal of the killer and there is a fun subplot about the deformed, foot-dragging woman in the attic. Because it's pre-Dario it really leans into the soap opera aspect (and old time-y organ music) over the sex, gore or the fantastic. It's not bad, just very restrained compared to the more ambitious and audacious Giallo films that many of us love.

Great review. Grim, grim movie - I saw it a decade or more ago and it made an impression. Not sure if you knew but this but it was loosely re-made by Kiyoshi Kurosawa in Japan as Seance (2000).

CPT HOOK, Colin, Kim Bruun and 4 others like this.
  14. Rocker10

Day 19

83. Screams Of A Winter Night (1979) Blu - Some friends head out to a cabin and tell scary stories to pass time. An anthology film that quite a few people seem to have a passion for. I thought it was okay. The longer extended cut is the version I watched and it felt a bit long at 1 hour 58 minutes. Not too bad though.

84. Killer Crocodile (1989) Blu - Entertaining creature feature that has a group of environmentalists that are looking into toxic waste being dumped in a swamp. It looks like it affects the crocodile as it is very large. Kind of a fun movie that does have some goofy plot holes, but what the hell.

85. The Black Cat (1934) Blu - Part of the Universal collection volume 1. After an accident, a young women is taken to the house of a satanic priest and becomes trapped there. Decent film featuring two horror legends, Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Always hard to look at Lugosi and not think of his role as Dracula. Good stuff, but a bit odd.

86. The Legend Of Boggy Creek (1972) Blu - The infamous bigfoot movie. I watched this one really close this time. Occasionally, I will watch a bit distracted. This watch I did notice quite a few flaws in the transfer even though it is the restoration that was released earlier last year. I did some searching and it looks like they might be doing a better restoration that could be used for UHD as next year is the movies 50th anniversary. Even with this versions flaws, it's the best I have seen the film look as I owned a dvd before that looked like utter shit.

~Rocker10

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yummy – Not too long ago I slept through most of this movie, fortunately it must have been because I was just really tired because I put it on tonight and it was pretty fun. Basically these people go to a cheap hospital for plastic surgery right as something else they were doing at the hospital causes a zombie outbreak. I didn’t love everything about this movie, one of the main characters is kind of an annoying schmuck, but the good definitely outweighs the bad if you’re in the mood for a somewhat silly zombie movie.

CPT HOOK, fattyjoe37, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 19th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

At that part of the month where I'm gonna start digging through my collection. "Waxwork" is one of my all time favorites, and "TerrorVision" is one of the most underrated, despite it being a bit dated with all it's 1980's pop culture references and mannerisms.

45) Waxwork

46) TerrorVision

17. Angelman

* = First Time Viewing

Cemetery Sisters (1987)*
    Pretty predictable Nick Millard shot on video film follows two sisters, raised by a mortician father who seduce, marry and kill rich men in order to steal from them. It kind of repeats that cycle - seduce, marry, kill - a few times until things start to go a little off the rails. At 60 minutes it went by pretty quick but there's not a ton to recommend here. The acting is stiff, Millard falls back on re-using clips from his older (shot on film) films, as he did in Death Nurse. The biggest shock in the film is a side character tatselessly using a racial slur for no reason.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

14. The Fury of the Wolf Man (José María Zabalza, 1972)

[​IMG]

Naschy Daninsky film #3, and this is the first one that seems to be a true "Wolf Man" film. In the first two, Daninsky was more of a supporting character. His existence as a werewolf was secondary to the main events of the film. In this one, he's front and center, and he's great. In his commentary on Frankenstein's Bloody Terror, American distributor Sam Sherman spoke about being impressed by Naschy's animalistic portrayal of the Wolf Man, and he's absolutely spot on. There is something feral and wild in the way he attacks and moves about the screen when he's in his werewolf form that sets him apart from other portrayals. Even though the plot was once again a little confusing and convoluted, and despite the fact that this once again took me a few nights to make it all the way through, I ended up really enjoying it.

15. Beyond Re-Animator (Brian Yuzna, 2003)

[​IMG]

Jeffrey Combs is still great as Herbert West, but I think it suffers from the loss of Dan Cain. I hadn't seen it since it came out, and I was a little surprised at how...safe...it all is. Yuzna may not be the director that Stuart Gordon is, but in films like Society and Bride of Re-Animator, he really went for broke in terms of over-the-top gore and goopy set-pieces. There's a bit of that here, but after waiting almost 15 years after the making of Bride, you would have thought they'd really try to top themselves. Maybe that was the plan, and they didn't have the budget or studio support? In any case, it's entertaining, but certainly more of a footnote to the amazing legacy of the first 2.

19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I remember hating this movie but after revisiting Re-Animator earlier in the month I kind of want to give this a go again, I barely remember it but it sounds OK in your description so maybe things will go better this time...

indrid13 and dave13 like this.
  20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 19th: The Brood

Brood.png

I've seen The Brood many times before, but this is probably the viewing where it has given me the most enjoyment, probably because I watched the German Blu-ray, which is no doubt the best presentation of it I've ever seen. I've always had a mixed reaction to Cronenberg's Rabid. It has so many elements I should like, but it lacks an emotional anchor and consequently feels like a cold movie, if that makes sense. The Brood centers on the dynamics between three strong characters. Samantha Eggar and Oliver Reed both deliver intense emotional outbursts, with Reed's obviously being calculated, as he uses them towards therapeutic ends. Eggar's is wild, unchecked rage. The point of her character seems to be that emotion, if not balanced by reason, is potentially dangerous. Her emotions take physical, destructive form as hideously deformed offspring that kill those that she feels threated or betrayed by. One wonderfully disturbing scene finds her very serene after such an incident. "I no longer feel threated by her," she says happily after a perceived rival has ben eliminated. Which brings us to the third part of this dynamic: Her estranged husband, played by Art Hindle. Hindle is restrained, but protective of his daughter (whom Eggar inadvertantly has hurt). Eggar is a blistering burn, Hindle is the balm, and that makes what could have been a bland character sympathetic. His square-jawed handsome looks don't hurt, though. One thing that struck me more on this viewing than others is the ending:

Okay, so daughter Candy has inherited her mother's condition. That's obvious. But worse still is the immediate threat to the father-daughter bond. While Hindle was forced to kill Candy's mother to save his daughter, how will the law view the incident? "You see, your honour, the freaks were just about to kill my daughter, but I figured that by killing my wife, I could deactivate them." Hindle's character being put on trial for murder and Candy being placed with a foster family seems a very real possibility.

The Brood works both as a drama as well as an exploitation piece with a healthy dose of violence as well as grotesque imagery.