Sick of sequels!

Discussion in 'General' started by r_burgos2003, Feb 25, 2003.

1. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

I think that everyone has this problem-SEQUELS! Expecially now when movies like FRIDAY THE 13th are being showcased with the rap and crap like that! People are talking about JASON X II-Which is the dumbest thing because the X means '10' in roman numerals. And Jason X 2 would be...forget it..Freddy doesn't seem all that scary when you figure that you can't kill him and he'll be back in a year..Hellraiser is just that. One of the sequels actually had the credit 'Alan Smithee' on it! ...but there are people online expecting Showgirls 2 (I actually liked Showgirls...please don't hurt me!)

2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Some sequels are good, some are really bad. Sometimes a franchise will have 3 bad sequels and then one good one...so it's a mixed bag.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

I don't mind sequels at all...at least you know what you are getting into beforehand.

4. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

You know, I think thats why I love Halloween 3 so much, it was totally not what you expected.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I have no problems with sequels, I either know what to see or what to avoid (depending on the franchise).

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I don't mind sequels, if they make sense and aren't Halloween Resurrection. But I loved Jason X so what do I know? I am much more anti-remake than anti-sequel.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

If a sequel is done right, bring it on!

FRIGHT NIGHT 2
    BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR
    CUBE 2

Just to name a few.

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

What was Cube 2 like?

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

What have you been smoking? There are NO talks about Jason X II. Any future entries in the series will be prequels to Jason X. Jason X didn't make enough to warrant a direct sequel, but there is still a fanbase for a Jason Voorhees film that doesn't take place in space. If you're talking about Freddy vs Jason, it takes place before Jason X and is in no way, shape, or form called Jason X II.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

yeah, I was a bit too quick on that one :D
    but I heard it rocks from people who already seen it so, there :banana: ;)

11. John

John Guest

I'm cool with sequels. Like Rhett said, you know what you are getting. It gives fans of a particular series another chance to see their favs onscreen again.

12. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

AMEN SISTER!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

13. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm fine with sequels. Especially if its in a franchise I already like. Sure, theres a great chance it'll suck, but I like seeing the latest adventures of my favorite slashers on screen. I'm on the bandwagon of remake-haters. It's making me sick.

14. David666

David666 Guest

I am much more anti-video-games-turned-into-movies then anti-sequel or anti-remake.

The Mortal Combat films were just pathetic. Street Fighter... was there even one person who liked it? Mario Brothers, anyone? And I hear that House of the Dead is pretty damn bad too. Why am I not surprised?

Resident Evil was rather fun though. I still think Romero would have done a better job. I liked his script.

There will always be films that give anything a bad name, horror sequels have their share of clunkers... Freddy's Dead, any Friday the 13th after 2, Halloween 6 and Resurrection, Hellraiser: Inferno and Hellseeker, Troll 2 and Howling: New Moon Rising... these last two quite possibly being the worst things ever made.

But then there are sequels that blow you away by continuing the story with integrity or even surpasing the original... Hellraiser 2, NOES: Dream Warriors, Wes Craven's New Nightmare,

Remakes? Well... I've loved some and hated others. It really depends on just how much respect and honor goes into them. Can you honestly say that makers of The Haunting remake respected or honored the first film? Not with a straight face you couldn't. I'll be checking out the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake without fail, whether or not it will be of any integrity will then be known. I am leary of the producer, he's never been known for very high quality entertainment... in my opinion his films are about as low-brow as you can get. We'll see.

15. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

Best horror movie sequels I've seen are "Psycho 2" and "Aliens". Anyone feel there are better ones out there? Personally, I feel a great percentage of sequels have failed miserably, but there's always hope, right? :)

I don't mind having sequels. It's just a shame that most of them don't measure up to the original, IMHO. :cry:

R. I. P.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2003
  16. rhett

rhett Administrator

I know I am in the minority, but I think ANOES 2 is a great sequel.

17. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Well, add one more to this minority. I too think Elm Street 2 is great. Lots of classic stuff in this one.

"You are all my children now."

"You've got the body...I've got the brain."

Not to mention the cool melting tricycle.

I don't know why this one has the rep it does. Freddy's still scary in this one, too.

18. PhoneStud

PhoneStud Guest

I have a squel fetish , i always get all the squels of a title ...

Usually I don't like squels but love to keep ...

19. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I like sequels if there's the opportuntiy for worthy development in the film's universe. HELLRAISER for me is an excellent ongoing saga, where there's much more potential than the films can even tap into. Thankfully the graphic novels were released, covering areas unexplorbale in the films. As for the 'Alan Smithee' credit, that's put on by a director when control is taken off him by the producers (not necessarily because he doesn't like the film, although that is usually the case). That can happen to anybody (and frequently does), even major directors. I don't take it as a reason to dislike a film just because the director didn't get exactly what he wanted. As a director myself I do find the act of it unpleasant, but Kevin Yagher was a dreadful director who delivered a TV movie looking film anyway, so no loss there in BLOODLINE's case.

As for the F13s and other ongoing series', I treat them as being a lot of fun. There's no harm whatsoever in more fun with Jason rampaging around, as long as there's something new and different to enjoy.

What I hate is when they persist in making sequels to films where the storylines don't have any sequel development possibilites (such as HIGHLANDER, THE MUMMY, T2 or HALLOWEEN H20) and they end up making rediculous shit that makes no sense with it's predesessor. The other kind i dislike are the 'churn it out when nobody-at-all wants it' sequels, and Disney are a the main offender here; they even make DTV sequels to their classic cartoons! Who wants DRACULA 2000 II? FInally, sequels that go nowhere and do nothing new annoy me, HALLOWEEN being the worst series for that that I can think of.

But for the good ones...Keep 'em coming!

20. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

Too many people react in too simple a way to sequels I often think. "Oh...HALLOWEEN III doesn't have Michael in it, so therefore it's automatically crap" or "Pinhead didn't have enough screentime in HELLRAISER: INFERNO so I didn't like it"...This type of reaction is so common and so petty minded. It's such a shame that so many people are so quick to jump the gun and not give sequels the chance they deserve.

Possibly the most stupid reaction of all is the one to FRIDAY 5, complaining that it's not Jason killing. it's only a few seconds at the end of the movie when Roy's mask comes off when you know it's not Jason. If the makers changed that so it was Jason's face in there, how would it have affected anything else preceeding it in the film? It wouldn't! What a crock we have to put up with from some people!

Some people just don't like any change do they? They just want the same thing over and over, and when a sequel actually does something different to before they automatically damn it. It's probably why the HELLRAISER saga in particular gets such a bashing from some, given how radically different each chapter is. I find it surprising how many people think the series is actually just about Pinhead.

Now Freddy's Dead...There's a real travesty of a sequel. One that turned Fred Krueger into a dad! As an ELm Street fan, I frankly felt insulted by this movie.