Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Anyone know the latest on Cruel Jaws? It seems like the DVD release is making it's way back into selling circulation from random distributors.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

While no definite answer has been given it's simply been put out of circulation, likely because of a copyright claim, hence why pulled from the Severin site directly. But if still popping up on other stores and online sites that's simply because they recently got stock in or still had stock - since they aren't the company directly that put it out, they can still stock and sell what they have or received in from their distribution sources (distribution warehouses that still stocked the release).

Katatonia and Mutilated Prey like this.
  3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Weird thing is FYE said they didnt have any of the blu in stock but I got a notice today that they shipped it out to me . So I kinda wasted money on buying the dvd version on ebay before lol

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The only movie I have seen from Severin's upcoming folk horror box set is Eyes of Fire. I love the film and am very happy to see it getting an official release with a 4K restoration. Are there any other films in the box set that come recommended? Not familiar with any of them. Probably leaning towards just buying the standalone Eyes of Fire release, but curious if there are any other essential films in the collection to justify buying the box set?

5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I likeAlison's Birthday though some of that may be nostalgia. It's pretty predictable but I first saw it as a teen so hadn't seen all the variations on that plot so it was fresh to me at the time. I think that's the only film in the box I've seen though. Somewhere I have the Scorpion DVD of Celia but if I ever watched it I don't remember a thing about it. I was trying to collect all the Scorpion and Code Red releases at one point so I probably grabbed it during a sale just to have.

Katatonia and satans-sadists like this.
  6. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I've seen 8 of them:
    Eyes of Fire
    Leptirica
    Viy
    Lake of the Dead
    Tilbury
    Kadaicha
    Il Demonio
    Dark Waters

I think Il Demonio is the best movie in the set from what I've seen, though it's really more of a drama. I wish this one was getting a solo release because I'm not interested in buying a $200 set since I own several of the movies already. I also really like Viy, but I have the solo Blu-ray release already.

I watched Tilbury last week and it's weird as shit. Definitely one of the oddest creatures I've ever heard of. This one is on Youtube right now and only an hour long if anyone is curious about it.

I saw Eyes of Fire last year and I was kinda let down by it. Maybe it was hyped up too much before I saw it, but I found it kinda slow and disjointed. I didn't dislike it, I just heard it was some amazing lost masterpiece (the term "gem" was used in several reviews I saw for it), so I was expecting to have my balls blown off by it only to find it kind of average. I did watch a VHS rip, so I'd be willing to give it another shot with actual good picture quality. I'll probably buy the Blu-ray in a future Severin sale.

I've almost watched A Field in England a few times because I really enjoyed Sightseers, Kill List and even Free Fire, but after watching Ben Wheatley's latest movie In The Earth and kind of hating it I might pass on watching that one since In The Earth was described as being most similar to that one.

russweiss and satans-sadists like this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Lake Of The Dead, but there is a remake of it from a few years ago on SHUDDER called Lake Of Death. The remake was a pretty generic cabin-in-the-woods movie, but it's very slick, polished, and easy enough to watch.

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I watched Lake of Death when it first showed up on Shudder. It's decent, but it had one of the most obvious killers I've ever seen. The second I saw the character, before he even moved or spoke I yelled out "that guy did it!" Now, I watch almost every movie alone, so I do yell that out a lot to amuse myself, but I was totally right this time.

maybrick and hots4 like this.
  9. Mutilated Prey

Interesting. Well, at least you got a Blu-ray coming your way! I wish blowitoutofhere would do the same for me, but I don’t see that happening. I did end up finding a new blu on Amazon from a reseller for $28, so we’ll see what happens.

Like morallysound said, there are people out there that need to relieve their stock. I have a feeling that Severin made them tap the brakes, but these folks will want to relinquish their inventory at some point.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I do that a lot with action movies and the like where you don’t know who the bad guy is. I always point out the person the main character trusts the most like the best friend or the father figure. And if they’re not the main bad, they’re in cahoots. The sad thing is that I’m right way more often than I’m wrong because Hollywood script writing is that predictable.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

After watching Severin's trailer, the Folk Horror set actually looks really tempting. Seems like there could be a lot of interesting movies to discover there.

12. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Of the ones I have seen, Il Demonio is fantastic. Kind of a cross between Italian neo-realism and Italian Gothic.
    Viy, Eyes of Fire and Dark Waters are also good.
    I did not enjoy A Field in England

satans-sadists likes this.
  13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I want the Folk Horror set but I'll probably only ever get through 1/3 of the set before losing interest. Too many artsy-fartsy sounding B&W foreign flicks. I bet the majority of these are just dramas.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

There's a 10-page article about this set in the new issue of Rue Morgue. There's an interview with Kier-La Janisse and reviews of the several of the titles that are in the set. The reviews are just for the movies, not for the actual set, so there's no details on quality or extras or anything.

satans-sadists likes this.
  15. Mutilated Prey

A random new Blu of Cruel Jaws popped up on BullMoose. I went ahead and ordered it, and it was delivered to me within 48 hours. It went right back to out of stock after I ordered it. There seems to be a plethora of the DVDs out there, but the Blu’s are hard to come by. Grabbed Deep Blood while I was at it. I was able to cancel my Amazon order from a reseller that was slightly more expensive.

Some sites like DeepDiscount are allowing “Backorder” orders, and it’s even part of a sale at DeepDiscount.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I just watched the blu of Cruel Jaws that I picked up during the half way sale. It was pretty great. Is Deep Blood as entertaining? I might have to grab that one next time (if it's still available).

It's a shame that Cruel Jaws appears to be being pulled. I had a blast watching it.

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I preferred Cruel Jaws, but if you enjoyed it that much, I'm sure you'll like Deep Blood as well.

dave13 likes this.
  18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I watched Deep Blood on Night Flight recently and found it entertaining. It’s nothing I need to own but it has its charms.

A lot of Severin Films are on Night Flight actually, as well as stuff from Blue Underground and Arrow It’s well worth the $6/month for a streaming service.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  19. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I've ragged on Severin in the past for focusing too heavily on what I consider to be "junk" movies (Adamson and Milligan - I'm looking at you) but, in reality, I love Severin for coming through with the stuff I truly love, like the obscure Italo-sleaze and movies like Cathy's Curse and now Midnight. That latter one was a slam dunk and I'm so glad they were able to rescue it from Lionsgrate and give it a fantastic restoration. From what I hear, Sam Sherman, the producer, had a hand in making this a reality. Thanks, Mr. Sherman!

Now, Midnight is not a movie I can recommend as a blind buy wholeheartedly because of it's very quirky nature. It's got a cheesy theme song (enough for some folks to dismiss right away lol), really bad acting (that girl on the bear trap could've shown a little more fear in her attempts at "acting"), plus the budget was barely there but there's something about the quirkiness here that feels right - and it's actually a pretty good backwoods thriller with good kills. And, despite the aforementioned song, this has a killer soundtrack. All you newbies proceed at your own risk but I couldn't be happier with this release. The restoration is awesome, BTW. Blows any previous releases WAY out of the water.

russweiss likes this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Mutilated Prey and russweiss like this.