Requiem for a Dream

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Okay, first off, this film is quite horrific in several ways, so I'd classify it as horror in a way (even Fango did a story on it), but if you feel you must move it to Off Topic, then I guess its not up to me. Enough of that.

When I first saw this film, it effected me like no other. I hardly ever am truly moved by any film, but this film emotionally moved me like no other. This film has now become my #1 favorite film of all time, and after watching it probably well over 50 times, it is still as effective on me today as the time I first saw it. It is just that powerful.

This film not being nominated for more than just a Best Actress award made me realize just how much of a joke the Oscars can be, and Burstyn didn't even win that award! She gave the performance of a lifetime, and its a shame she lost out to frickin' Julia Roberts of all people. My beloved Jennifer Connelly is also spectacular in this film, just like I knew she would be. She is one of the best and most underrated actresses there is, and she still remains the most beautiful woman on the face of this Earth even through all the hell her character goes through. Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans are also absolute perfection in their roles, and long time favorites, Keith David and Christopher McDonald are great as well, and its terrific seeing them in such an amazing film.

I really felt for the characters in this film, and their plunge into utter darkness and hell on earth was extremely saddening to watch. It says something great about the performances in this film for me to be this effected by their fates. I also just love the scenes after the hellish climax towards the end in which we see where the characters have wound up.
    The part with Burstyn's final dream and the standing ovation as her and Leto embrace is so truly spectacular and moving, and it makes for one of the greatest endings in cinematic history if you ask me.

The film's magnificent score also adds soooo much to this masterpiece, and the soundtrack is probably my most listened to CD! It is such a powerful and haunting score, and it sets the perfect mood for this film.

Aronofsky also did a spectacular job with the film's extremely hypnotic editing. It is very surreal and dreamlike, and it fits the film perfectly. Also, I must give loads of credit to Matthew Libatique for his very dark, gloomy, and inducingly hopeless, yet amazingly beautiful cinematography.

Quite simply put, this film is as good as films get in my opinion, and I seriously doubt another film will ever take its place as my #1 favorite of all time (though MULHOLLAND DR. comes close). A masterpiece through and through!

Any thoughts on this utter masterwork?

2. John

John Guest

I'm walking out the door, so I'll be quick.

One of the best movies to come out in a LONG time. Required viewing for all. Best drug movie since Trainspotting.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

It is definitely a great film. I never had the pleasure (misfortune?) of seeing this on the big screen, but I could hardly even take the last 30 minutes on my small TV, let alone a huge theatre. Aronofsky dropped the ball by failing to comply with the MPAA by making this R instead of NC-17. The cuts on the cut version are so minimal that it hardly makes a difference at all. I really think that if Aronofsky had made this R it could have really become the hit film it should have been. This is a film all young people should watch one time in their life.

While I think not nominating this film for cinematography, editing or direction is a joke, I do agree with the Academy that Burstyn was not the best actress that year. Her performance is great not because of what she does, but because of the intensity and effectiveness in which she is shot. It is a solid performance, it is deeply moving to be sure, but I credit that more to Aronofsky than I do Burstyn herself.

I've watched the film about 4 times, and each time it gets tougher to watch. The score and the intensity of direction just make this such an overwhelming emotional experience. This has probably been one of the only films where I have come out just emotionally and physically drained.

I find it funny that one of the major knocks of the film is that some of the photography gets very tired and overused after awhile. Isn't that just the point? Drugs are cool at the start, but their overuse shows how truly bad they can become. The same is for the photography. The split screens are really cool at the start, but each time they show those screens the effect becomes less and less effective. Aronofsky could have easily altered his shots accordingly, but the fact that he sticks with a repetitive design emphasizes the recurring and diminishing nature of drug use.

With this film and PI, Aronofsky has certainly made a great name for himself. I really hope he only goes up for here...

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I totally agree with you here Cujo. Requiem For A Dream is simply amazing. It just doesn't get any better then this.
    I pitty the fool who hasn't seen this film yet.

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    One of the few blind buys I made, and I did it after hearing so much about this film. Usually when a film is so overhyped, I end up hating it, but in this case I absolutely was blown away. A remarkable film in almost every regard, even though the story is depressing as hell!!

6. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I praise him for not complying with the MPAA.. he wanted to keep his vision in tact, and I agree with him completely. You may think they were minimal, but I feel they change it quite a bit, and the impact is nowhere near as much. I'm also glad none of hte extras are on the edited DVD. I saw this in theaters (shown unmatted, unfortunately) and I definitely left the theater unable to speak.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

I think him not complying with the MPAA was a bold move, and one he should definitely be allowed to make. But at the same time I wish he would have released the R-Rated version in theatres in order to allow the mass audience to experience its brilliance. Then he could simply release the uncut version (as he did) on DVD, which is exactly what the medium is for.

8. This is one of the very best movies of recent years.

It is also probably the horrifying look at drug use that I have ever experienced.

Great performances, fantastic directing, incredible soundtrack... I could go on, but I am sure that you all know what I mean.

9. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Not much to say but its a very good movie:banana:

10. Latency

Latency Guest

I have to pick this up tonight. never seen it yet. I don't like the fact that it's depressing. I hate the way i feel after watching depressing movies.

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That's the reason I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably check it out sometime though, esp. after reading this thread (no spoilers).

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I did see this at the theater thankfully, and multiple times at that (what'd you expect). Just like with IRREVERSIBLE and DONNIE DARKO, I had to go to the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex (not too far really) to see it in the theater, but as you probably guessed from my first post, it was more than worth it. I went back up there and saw it two more times after my first viewing.

Anyhow, glad to see a few other fans of this masterpiece!

13. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

I don't think it's as depressing as it just plain fucking disturbing!!!

14. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I saw this twice too, now that I think of it. For $4 a pop, I felt it was WELL worth it and would have seen it more if I had the time.

15. Guitar_Joe

Guitar_Joe Guest

I love this movie too, but I have to say I liked Pi more just because the whole premise is more original. Requiem is definately the best movie about addiction ever made. I think that can be attributed to how unflinching it is in it's portrayal.

Have you guys ever seen the movie "The Grey Zone?" It's another movie that isn't really a horror movie, but I would say is extremely horrific and depressing too. It's not about addiction though. It is a movie about some happenings in the Holocaust, and like Requiem, it is unflinching in its portrayal.

16. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

saw it opening day, first showing and i loved it,
    theater is the medium for viewing movies as they are intended for their audience, this movie isnt intended for the masses, stating that DVD is the medium for unrated/alternate versions really minimizes the importance of the theater experience, DVD release should never become a haven for versions that are considered inappropriate for large auditoriums by the MPAA,
    whatever,
    yeah i saw "the grey zone" opening night, shocking and moving picture, when it was over i felt uneasy about moving in my seat or getting up, there are probably less than 10 films that make me feel and this is near the top of that short list,
    what the fuck is up with the DVD cover though? the original poster artwork is haunting and beautiful,
    fuck the "stars" cover

17. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Its absolute genious, im soo glad i checked this out! its now 2nd on my favorite films of all time list...only beaten just by `Mulholland Dr.` ;) Ive got to see `Pi` now!

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Slinker, just curious, but had you heard of this film before I recommended it to you? If not, I'm glad I could persuade you to check it out sooner. I also have to say that I think its quite cool that both of our top two favorite films of all time are the same, just switched around. :)

PI is an excellent film as well, but still, its no REQUIEM. Anyhow, with just two films under his belt, Aronofsky has already become one of my favorite directors of all time.

19. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

This movie is an amazing accomplishment, and I don't say that lightly. I never had the chance to see this in the theatre, and even then I put it off seeing this film for quite some time until I rented it about a year ago. Everyone I've shown this to has been stunned. Its not an easy view, and I don't watch it often... But when I do pop it in, it seems to be the recurring disc I watch for days following.

Side note: Anybody notice some of Requiem's soundtrack re-scored for some of the LOTR: Two Tower's trailers?

20. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah, I was recently showing a friend (a big LOTR fan) the Requiem DVD and as soon as the music came up on the main menu, he recognised it!

I saw Requiem for the first time a couple of months ago, and I loved it. Needless to say I rushed out and bought the DVD right away (still waiting to find a decent deal on the CD).