Post Your Horror Collection (Replicas, Masks and Collectibles)

Discussion in 'General' started by Zombie Dude, Jul 4, 2013.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

This looks awesome! But on a side note, I recently watched an episode of the 80s He-Man cartoon, and WTF is up with Skeletor's voice? I don't remember it being that high and whiny. I feel like his voice should've been dark and menacing. Instead it sounds like his balls haven't dropped yet.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

FYI in case you weren’t aware, Mego is putting out a line of 7” Hammer Horror action figures. They have already released ones for Dracula, Van Helsing and The Reptile with Frankenstein’s Monster just around the corner. But I’m posting this to get out the news that there are limited edition figures for The Mummy and The Gorgon through Topps for the next 6 DAYS ONLY!

https://www.topps.com/cards-collectibles/boxes-packs/mego.html

russweiss and othervoice1 like this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't like the new pre-order limited thing for figures. It's ok with statues. Those are expensive and with Sideshow and others are Edition Size to be determined for like months. But I just don't like the limited pre-order for action figures that then turn into something people can flip for stupid prices on ebay. Companies need to start production of enough to go into stores like the old days.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. maybrick

I don’t like it either. What’s the deal with pairing with Topps anyways? Why does a baseball card company need to be selling limited edition horror figures? I don’t get it. Anyways, if you want them they’re the only way to get them. If there isn’t enough interest then they won’t produce them and they’ll cancel the pre order and return your money. But honestly, they’re only hampering the likelihood by limiting the quantities to 5 per customer. I know that they’re doing this to keep the amount of flippers down, but it should be more important to get these in the hands of people that want them and if we need flippers to reach that production number minimum then so be it.

5. ImmortalSlasher

Topps is just getting in on the whole limited edition thing to announce a sellout on twitter or whatever social media site. 5 per customer is for flippers. Many companies like that did that in the early days. Give the ability to buy 2 or 3. Flip one and have that pay for the order. Immediate sellout because people don't care and use bots to purchase. Edition sizes of like 500 or less. Then normal customers get pissed off.

I didn't see how many orders they wanted to produce the figures. I know Hasbro does the pre-order / Kickstarter thing as well which is disgusting to me that a big company like that can't make toys anymore without a pre-order and doesn't want to take any risk at all.

6. maybrick

Personally I think it makes some sense. It allows less popular characters to at least get produced. If even the more well known characters only do mediocre business it can doom the whole line. I’ve seen it happen many, many times. From my perspective even releasing The Reptile wide was a gamble.

7. ImmortalSlasher

But now even big companies aren't taking the risk and putting it on consumers in the form of pre-orders that arrive a year later. There are tons of Kickstarter horror stories.

I just like the days of Toys r Us and other toy stores and being able to see a full line of figures. Hasbro and others took risks even on the big toy bases back then. There were so many of them for series like Dungeons & Dragons and Masters of the Universe. Now that stuff is pre-order only. Or if it makes it to a Walmart or Target, they get like 1 or 2. Which causes people to line up in the morning, bribe workers, or fight over a toy. Of course just to usually flip it like the people who buy it online with bots.

8. maybrick

The market has changed a lot though. Most toy companies have been reporting losses for years, and when that happens there is always less willingness to take on risky ventures. Action figures have primarily become a collectors market for adults. The toy market for kids has been replaced by video games. They don’t care about dolls.

9. ImmortalSlasher

I checked wiki on both Hasbro and Mattel and they don't seem to be hurting. I know a lot of toy retailers went out of business. But I watched a video a while back that put the blame on companies like Hasbro and Mattel buying the smaller companies. Then not getting their product into stores but only big places like Target. I don't know why they weren't giving supply to Toys R Us.

But you are right in that modern action figures are primarily for adults. Especially Hot Toys and larger statues. Even what should be normal figures are above the $5 or less I think I paid as a kid. I did get both videogames and toys when I was a kid. So kids today can do the same with good priced figures. What they don't have today are the Saturday Morning Cartoons. Although I still would get action figures without seeing a cartoon.

10. ImmortalSlasher

Something I saw on youtube about Hasbro that is relevant to modern toy talk here. This is why you don't do Kickstarters for big companies.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, Hasbro did a "pledge drive" to bring back HeroQuest and I'm like WTF why? You're a billion dollar company! And they were asking the moon for some of the stuff that just seems basic to me as an upgrade to the original set. So I hard passed. Hopefully something will come down the line a little more buyer friendly.

12. ImmortalSlasher

Leon from Resident Evil 4 by Darkside Collectibles. Expensive though.

Darkside-Collectibles RE4-Leon-Statue-018.jpg

Something is seriously wrong with Hasbro. It's a combination of they don't care about the overall health of the Toy Industry. And that they have bean counters running the company who don't want to risk anything on even their largest toy properties unless they see the possibility of a huge return. Sure they are doing well financially. But eventually people will say enough. And when that happens it's the people at the bottom of the company that usually get hurt. Like that line in They Live.

Look what they are releasing now as a Kickstarter type pre-order.

proton pack.jpg

I can't believe they need to do a pre-order for a proton pack when Ghostbusters is a classic popular property and a new movie is coming out. But the best part is that the pack is $399.99 and comes out more than two years from now in the Spring of 2023.

Although the recent G.I. Joe movie flopped they also have the jet as a pre-order for $229.99 also coming out in the Spring of 2023. I'm sure that jet didn't cost more than $50 or so when I was a kid. And there were tons on store shelves. They are modernizing the plane but still it's the same scale for small figures.

And of course for both of these they have those bonus add-ons if they reach certain levels. Stuff that should already be in the package for the price they are asking. It's crazy. I would get both of these in stores if they were reasonably priced.

russweiss likes this.