Possible Halloween: 35th Anniversary blu-ray forthcoming?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mikey Horror, Jun 6, 2013.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Pre-ordered this from Amazon a few months ago and still haven't received a shipping confirmation. I ordered it along with another disc that doesn't come out until October, maybe they're waiting until then to ship them together? I don't know. In the past they just send things (even if they're on the same order as films with later release dates) as they are released.

2. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Not to steer too far off topic, but as anyone seen this:

http://youtu.be/8vwQ_S4pFmY

Obviously it's something the guy made and not an official release as Anchor Bay's and Scream Factory's respective Halloween films would never be together in a box set, but Damn! I WANT ONE!

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What the hell? Dood's got some time on his hands. Can you imagine how much something like that would cost?

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

If you chose to ship items in fewer deliveries that should probably be the case.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Picked this up from Walmart earlier and gave it a spin while listening to the audio commentary. The transfer looks really good. I was quite pleased with it, despite owning the earlier BD release. The audio commentary, while a fun listen, Jaime Lee came off as kind of annoying. Been a few years since I listened to their other commentary, but I don't recall her being this way on that one.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I picked this up today as well. I haven't listened to the commentary yet. The picture to me has it's ups and downs. It's very sharp and some colors really jump while others...do not. All in all I cannot complain. I'm hanging on to my 1999 THX 2 DVD set and my 2007 bd as well. The only thing I didn't care for was the "Night She Came Home" documentary. For what it was, it seemed too long. Ms. Curtis is apprehensive about the whole convention process, and constantly mentions how she needs order in her life. The whole thing just seemed to be too much. I'd rather 60 minutes of footage of the cast reunion in the hotel room at the beginning of the doc.

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

yeah. I do like the new one... cause i hated all those white specs in the 99 dvd, but keep em all, they all have ups and downs..

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

All right. My painful, protracted wait for this disc is finally over. Here are my initial impressions of the new release.

In order to get the best possible handle on the differences between this transfer and the THX transfer I loaded the new disc into my Oppo BDP-83 and the THX DVD into my Oppo 971H player. That's obviously not as ideal a situation as being able to play both discs simultaneously in the same model player. But DVD playback is very similar on both units. So I think it's an acceptable basis for comparison.

I skipped around and watched numerous scenes, even comparing still frames by flipping back and forth between inputs. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that the THX transfer was not used as the jump-off point for this new transfer. Some scenes show nearly identical color balances while others are completely divergent.

Before I get into specific scenes, let me confirm what we already know. The new transfer is radically different in terms of color timing--especially during the daytime scenes. But the degree of color desaturation is so high that it's not nearly as distracting as it appears to be in static screenshots. As you all know I tend to be a zealot about this film. But although this transfer is substantially different, it's NOT offensively disatisfying (like the prior Blu-ray transfer was to me). The THX transfer replicates a fall look through an orange push to the color timing. The new transfer goes in a completely different direction. It even appears that the nighttime blue cast has now been applied to the daytime scenes. I expected that to be extremely distracting. But the cooler, more muted colors produce a similar emotional effect to the orange cast. They look a lot different than they do on the THX release. But they don't destroy the illusion of fall or substantially change the mood and feel of the opening Haddonfield 1978 scenes.

And if you look past the color changes this transfer is an unmitigated triumph. Detail is spectacular and contrast is vastly improved. Despite being darker than the THX transfer almost across the board, the 35th transfer boasts tremendously improved shadow detail. It really is an impressive transfer in motion too.

Here are some scene specifics for those who are interested:

The 1963 opening scene looks very similar on both releases. The new transfer appears to be a little darker with more muted colors. But color balance is very similar between the two.

A bigger disconnect kicks in with the 1978 thunderstorm scene. The Blu-ray color desaturation becomes much more noticeable here. And the color balance shifts more to blue, with pinker fleshtones and an overall duller look to the colors. The trend toward a darker image on the Blu-ray continues too.

The sound upgrade is really apparent here. Dialogue is much warmer and fuller compared to the THX release. And the soundfield is MUCH wider, which gives a much more enveloping, immersive feel to this scene.

Moving to the opening daytime scene in Haddonfield with Laurie leaving her house, the blue-grey, starker look immediately becomes apparent. Although the grass and trees are actually greener compared to the THX release, it doesn't look like summer due to the substantial color desaturation. In fact, you don't really get the overwhelming greenish feeling that you get from the screenshots. I definitely believe that a blue filter was applied because flesh tones are noticeably pinkish instead of ruddy like they are on the THX DVD. And the sky now appears to be grey instead of yellowish. This scene looks VERY different than it does on the THX DVD. But it's not bad different. It's just more subdued, less stylized, and more naturalistic. I wouldn't choose the changes they made here. But they don't really bother me either.

Interestingly enough the sweeping changes don't apply to every scene. When Laurie spies Michael through the window while she's in class the color timing is virtually identical to the THX release. But when the action moves to Tommy being accosted by the bullies, the color timing is completely different again. The THX release is MUCH brighter and distinctly orange in cast. The new Blu is very desaturated with the same bluish push evident in the opening scene with Laurie.

This trend continues during the girls walk home. I specifically checked out the "speed kills" section. Again, the new Blu is darker, less orangey, and VERY desaturated, which gives the scene a much colder look.

The first night scene (after the much-discussed poor transition from daylight) is a revelation. The incredible difference in discernible detail is immediately apparent. Blacks are blacker than they are on the THX release. But many additional details are visible in the distance.

In general, the night scenes have similar blue tinting to the THX edition. But it's much more reserved on the new Blu. The laundry room scene with Annie and the "see anything you like?" section with Linda show more restrained colors in general. The shot of Michael holding the phone has a strong blue push to the color grade. But it's not as dazzling-looking as the tinting on the THX. So many of the night scenes are desaturated as well.

One shot appears to be missing the blue tint almost entirely. When Laurie arrives at the Wallace house before the start of the final chase, the THX image is extremely blue. But on the new release it's barely blue-ish at all. The front of the house appears almost white. So it's definitely clear that the THX transfer wasn't used as a frame of reference. For every scene that looks similar there's one that looks totally different.

The last scene I checked was Laurie's escape from the kitchen. This scene features the iconic blue tinting. But again it's dialed back and desaturated. The colors seem to be almost universally muted for the new transfer.

Here's the most important thing. I think I can finally retire the THX DVD. I still think it contains the most accurate color timing. And I sincerely hope we'll eventually get a Blu-ray that replicates its look completely. But the new release isn't botched to nearly the same degree that the first Blu-ray is. It's different. But it still looks like Halloween to me--with huge improvements in contrast, sharpness, and shadow detail. I don't think the benefits of the original Blu-ray warrant choosing it over the THX DVD. The night scenes just don't look right, which kills the mood for me. But I don't feel that way about the new release. It's negatives are definitely outweighed by the overall quality of the image. It's not perfect. But this one will most certainly due until the perfect release comes along.

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

...in short "hopefully it gets another release". :D

10. shape22

Ha. I certainly hope to see a THX-like transfer in the future. But this is a HUGE upgrade from the prior Blu-ray. No, I'm not getting rid of my THX DVD. But the new Blu is now my go-to version. And that's a significant endorsement from a THX fundamentalist like me.

My capsule summary would be "this is a worthwhile HD version of this film."

11. ronnie21

I think the transfer of this new ones looks great.. however. I did get the JAWS Blu-ray and thought the opening scene with chrissie swimming looked too dark.. anyone else noticed that? When you see older versions you can actually see her hair inbetween her legs..

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed review shape22 - really appreciate the time you put into it - very informative

13. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Alright, felt like this was the place to put this, essentially I just ordered this blu-ray, but the way I got it was so lucky. I ordered the Crystal Lake Memories blu-ray off of amazon, and they were late on shipping it, called costumer service and the operator gave me a $15 promotion on my next purchase. I thought cool, I'm getting my blu-ray late but oh well. I go to check out today and notice that they gave me a $15 promo, but also refunded my money for the Crystal Lake blu-ray, even though I received it just the day before. So I had an extra $41, so I totally picked this up, and the Halloween 3 blu-ray. I know it's a little off topic, but I was just excited. Now I can enjoy all the Halloween films on blu-ray just in time for October.

14. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I sometimes feel bad for Amazon because their customer service is so good. I feel like a lot of people could take advantage of their generosity and good faith.

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I was going to post asking about the difference between the THX version and this new version. The new Blu-ray still doesn't seem perfect if you are keeping your THX version for viewing at times. I can't understand why there are so many different looking versions of Halloween. And no one creating these versions seems to know or care how it looked originally. As pretty much all reviews I've seen mention that these home versions are off in some ways compared to the theatrical version.

16. shape22

Thanks! I know this stuff is just as important to some of you guys as it is to me. I'm happy to kick in my two cents.

You have to take a lot of these reviews with a grain of salt. The problem is that no one definitively knows what the original prints looked like. No 35mm dye print seems to exist at this point. And without that you're left with faded, worn-out prints that have been ravaged by too much use.

The bulk of the THX criticisms come from people who claim that they don't remember the night scenes looking so blue when they saw Halloween in theaters, or on the Criterion laserdisc, or on VHS. And they seem to put more faith in their impressions from 30 or more years ago or pre-DVD home video releases than reliable info from unimpeachable sources. Don May has confirmed the brilliant, surreal-looking blue tint is there on the B-roll footage. I'm not sure why his confirmation isn't sufficient to put the revisionism claims about the THX transfer night scenes to rest.

The THX release clearly has orange tinting in the daytime scenes and the same vivid blue look Don described for the night scenes. The new Blu-ray actually displays strong evidence of blue tinting for EVERY scene--even those that take place during the day. That's definitely a huge shift from all prior releases--and a possible indication that Cundey no longer remembers exactly how he prepared the original theatrical prints. Regardless, the new disc looks much better than the previous Blu-ray. The color timing is substantially different. But it's not as distracting as it appears to be in screenshots.

We'll likely never know for sure about the color timing. I've read everything out there about the B-roll footage. But only the coloring of the night scenes is discussed. If some daytime B-roll footage is out there it might help settle this debate. But barring that development we have to make our own calls with the info available. And for me, the evidence against the accuracy of the THX color timing is nothing but speculation. Don May and Bill Lustig are squarely in the THX camp. And barring more factual evidence to the contrary that's good enough for me.

17. ronnie21

either way, the new blu blows away the picture of any dvd incarnation of Halloween.. regardless..

18. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Watched the new 35th Anniversary blu last night.... a vapid, devoid of interest viewing. Sure the resolution is incredible and the grain structure is fantastic - but with the dull differences in color timing (more greens than oranges/reds... less blues, etc) this was NOT HALLOWEEN the way I've loved it for decades. It just felt empty. Like the life had been sucked out of it. And I fully tested the "Original" Mono tracks... they ARE the newly (1999) created 5.1 versions, just downmixed to mono. Sorry folks, no true "original" mono tracks without the added/replaced thunder strikes.

I'll be sticking with the 2007 Blu from now on.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  19. shape22

What version did you watch for years that looks more like the 2007 Blu? The 25th Anniversary Divimax DVD?

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The more I read about Halloween, the more I suspect people of romanticizing something that never actually existed in the first place. There comes to be a point where we become TOO nitpicky, and I think many here have reached it. Our entire basis on what is supposed to be correct is the old Cundey release, and now that he has approved of a different color timing everything falls into chaos. Maybe there has never been one answer, and that the importance of the color is all just a product of the viewer's mind and prejudices. Do you want an exact duplicate off the 1999 edition or how it was originally shown in theaters? Because more likely than not they weren't exactly the same as each other.