Horror Streaming Screambox vs Shudder etc

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I have time to get back to my streaming services now (I re-watched The Invitation last night on Netflix....it's leaving the service today, if you want to get in one last viewing), catch up on what I've missed on Shudder and the 'flix.

Spent the last month or two watching Stanley Cup playoffs, and bingeing three episodes per day of The George Lopez Show on TBS (because I was aimlessly surfing YouTube at work and caught a clip of the lovely Masiela Lusha and immediately set my DVR to record). Cup may be over tonight, and I've finished ogling the Albanian beauty, time to get back to horror.

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

A few more trailers.

"Kandisha" (7/22)

"Bleed with Me" (8/10)

3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

"Horror Noire" is now being turned into a docuseries, premiering October 14th.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Superhost coming 9/2:

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Is Shook any good? It looks kinda like the unfriended movies which in my opinion dark web was better than the first film.

6. CPT HOOK

I watched it on SHUDDER and didn't think much of it. Also, if you're sensitive to animal killings (not really shown, but still), this is a good one to skip. I was like, you can take out all these awful people, but leave the dog alone.

I actually picked up Stay Out Of The Attic on blu-ray from Best Buy today. It's a bit crude, but it kept me entertained, so I figured I'd pick it up. Honestly, most of the announced SHUDDER discs coming through Halloween are pretty underwhelming. Lucky, Shook, Slaxx, Fried Barry, Violation, etc. I will probably pass on all of them. Hopefully Vicious Fun is coming in November or December, I'll definitely add that one to the collection.

Colin and fceurich39 like this.
  7. fceurich39

Got both shook and stay out of the attic DVDs attic was good will watch shook with low expectations.

8. fceurich39

Thought Shook was OK nothing special also watched 32 malasana street I didn't care for that at all. Anyone check out Great White yet starring Katrina Bowden? I'll will probably get it on disc tuesday.

9. CPT HOOK

^ I wasn't that impressed by Great White. They spend most of the movie just floating in a raft with nothing happening. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged and Deep Blue Sea 3 are way better.

I watched two recently on SHUDDER.

First was Bleed With Me, which was about a girl who goes to a remote vacation cabin with a couple and suspects they might be stealing her blood. This one had a lovely winter atmosphere, but aside from that was pretty dull and didn't go anywhere. Lots of repetitive dream sequences and such. Skip this one.

The other was Superhost, which while isn't great, is a perfectly watchable streaming movie. It reminded me of a vastly inferior version of Creep with a gender-swapped Mark Duplass. Barbara Crampton has a fun small role in this one. The cast makes it feel bigger budgeted than it probably was, as you could tell they were being extra careful not to get any blood in the house they were shooting in. It's an easy watch, but you can probably find something better.

Colin and fceurich39 like this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah I'd second that about great white. It doesn't offer anything you haven't seen before, it's OK for a stream watch if you've got nothing better, it's definitely not worth a purchase.

I watched Superhost as well, it was perfectly serviceable, I will add that the lead who played Rachel was fantastic, she really pervade the unhinged nature perfectly.

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I liked Superhost overall, but I was annoyed by how much of an absolute puss Teddy was, and how stupid Claire was towards the end.
    They find dentures in the toilet, they see mail for Betty and Lou so they know Rebecca doesn't own the house, she talks to them through the cameras so she is obviously watching them, and they've seen her act like an absolute lunatic on several occasions and they still stop and get out of the car and follow this lunatic into the woods? Youtube views are pretty worthless if you're dead. Then Rebecca is about to kill Claire while Teddy is armed with a fire poker 10 feet away and instead of running at her, or even throwing the fire poker at her he just stands there and watches her being killed. He didn't even take a step forward.

Still, a good performance from Grace Phipps, and Barbara Crampton is always a delight. She's been in so much stuff the past decade.

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

And boy does she look good for her age!

13. fceurich39

I enjoyed Jakobs Wife a lot more on my 2nd viewing. A new Nic Cage/ Bill Moseley movie is coming to DVD and bluray Nov 16 called Prisoners of Ghostland from the makers of color out of space and Mandy. Then 2 weeks earlier PIG is out on disc.

14. fceurich39

Seen 2 new horror DVDs at Walmart called Slaxx for 9.96 any good? They also had a new Bella Thorne home invasion film called Masquerade looks interesting from the trailer.

15. CPT HOOK

Neither are good, but Slaxx is the better of the two.

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I caught part of this when it randomly showed on "It Came From Shudder" when I had it running in the background. Yeah, micro-budget is right. I must confess, I don't have a deep love for these super low-budget flicks. As much as I can see the love and devotion for the genre that is displayed by the filmmakers, the amateurness of the production is too much for me to shake. But hey, since a HorrorDigital member has a remote connection to it, maybe I'll try giving it my full attention one of these days.

In other Shudder news, based on a recommendation from I forgot where, I watched Cold Hell last week and it wasn't terrible. The recommendation called it a "modern Giallo", but to me it was more like one of those thrillers where the protagonist realizes that he/she can't turn to anyone for help and must face the killer themselves. Not a classic or even a must-see by any means, but not a waste of 90 minutes of your life either. And I think we've all seen our share of those, haven't we?

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

18. fceurich39

Used a gift card I had got both titles and watched both I think I prefer masquerade mainly I enjoy most home invasion type flicks. Slaxx did have some cool kills though.

19. fceurich39

Boys from county hell any fun? I see it is out on disc this Tuesday.

20. CPT HOOK

I wasn't a fan. To be honest, I haven't been super enthusiastic about any of the titles SHUDDER has announced for disc through November. I'm waiting for them to announce Vicious Fun, that's definitely one I'll be adding to the collection.

fceurich39 likes this.