Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. sade

sade Active Member

And I thought Halloween 2018 was underwhelming. This one felt like a parody of itself, borderline Scream'ish, hell even Scary Movie'ish in a couple of scenes.

2. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

A lot of people claim nostalgia for old movies make them good but I don't believe that. Those old movies are good because they are well made, good movies. The original Halloween was influenced by Hitchcock. I didn't know that when I first saw it. But I believe that Hitchcock influence helped it. I just watched some of Psycho recently and I found myself watching almost the whole movie again. It's just a really good movie. And it's way before my time. No nostalgia.

Like you guys, I watched Halloween Kills. I was going to wait till the 31st. But I saw the commercials about it being on Peacock for free. I'll put a review here and in the October topic later on.

And I agree that the gore is amped up. At times I too thought I was watching Friday the 13th without the cuts or the Rob Zombie Halloween. It didn't seem in character for Michael.

baggio likes this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I watched the film on Peacock this weekend. Oh boy. I'll first say, the look of it was really good. The kills, the violence was all there. But...

You can tell the director and writers sat around a table. How do we one up Jason Voorhees? Because that's what this was. That's what the prior film was too, that's what this entire trilogy is all about. This wasn't Michael Myers, this was Jason times ten and it was ridiculous. The creators have a hard on for Jason and it shows. Sorry, Michael is NOT Jason. The Halloween franchise has to be one of the wackiest among all of the killer franchises. Nothing connects, so convoluted. You need a slide rule to watch all of them. Trust me, I yell at Friday the 13th films all the time. But there's a story to follow from one to the next as silly as some entries may be. Halloween 78' , Michael Myers drives cars, he's a regular guy, goes down with a gun shot and now we find out he goes down with a hit to the head. Now? , 40 years later grandpa Michael is an indestructible killing machine. They want you to forget everything from 2 forward. But then want you to remember part 2(for characters), but not the part where Michael has no eyes anymore and is dead. Then they want you to remember H20 for Jamie...ONLY, but then ignore all that happens in it. Especially when Michael is dead again with no head. Yeah, it's that dumb people.

Looking back, I found new love for the Zombie entries. Different yes, not everyone taste yes, but they stood on their own. They will forever be separated from the franchise in my mind. Rob did an excellent job imo.

Reading here, that there was comedic elements? On purpose? I thought it was going to be teens/college kids acting dumb(the usual horror movie fair). I saw nothing funny. Just stupid writing and plot holes. It's a shame too, because the actors all played it pretty much serious, and did their job well. I don't blame them one bit.

The opening was terrible. Take your nostalgia altering story and stick it. The ending was even more terrible. And that big discussion on the firemen scene. Exactly like I said before, and nailed it.

Eight mailmen could have taken out Michel Myers, let along eight Firemen. Yes, because we all know a firehose has no force whatsoever. Was that a garden hose with a kink in it? Pathetic, and laughable.

What else? Everything was forced and set up to perfectly lead to kills. Kills that could be avoided. Without giving away too much. ;) Yes, two guys in a house. Standing TWO FEET from the ONLY STAIRCASE in the entire house. Michael Meyers magically in a full lighted room btw, both guys on full alert btw, sneaks pass them to wait upstairs for their unsuspecting doom. LOL. This was what was happening throughout the entire movie. People don't know how to get out of cars, people don't know how to run.

Finally. They announced a trilogy from day one. Why would anyone think Myers would be dead after the first two? See(in the horror world), what you do is you DON'T reveal you're making a trilogy. It's called leaving the audience guessing.

Mok and russweiss like this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

I put a review in the October topic here.

http://horrordvds.com/community/thr...atching-thread-2021.49123/page-16#post-880414

You didn't think the swing scene was funny?

Or the scene with the Black couple and which one was the nurse. How about the people living in Myers house and how they reacted to the intruder and how they ended up. I could go on.

baggio likes this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

People saying Myers is like Jason in Kills hopefully remember this isn't anything new as he's was brutal and took beatings in the last Halloween film too.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

This isn’t 1978 any more. The expectations of a modern day slasher movie are a lot higher and the number of kills in these films have been trending upwards for decades. But a lot of other things that people bitch about are kind of ridiculous in the context of the franchise. Myers appearing upstairs somehow slipping by the gay people? He somehow snuck through an open window to hide behind the couch in the space of zero seconds in the original. And don’t get me started on supposedly awful dialog in the new movie when we have things like “The dog is barking again and getting on my nerves again!”. Don’t let nostalgia blind you to the truth.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Nancy Kyes is such a terrible actor. It's not as bad as in Assault on Precinct 13, but her dialog delivery is just cringy.
    And her facial expression, when she dies in the car, is too over the top.

Another annoying thing, is when Laurie keeps dropping the knife, instead of making sure that Michael is really dead.
    And instead of leaving the house with the kids, she just sits there, with her back against Michael...

There are so many stupid things in the original, that people just don't seem to care about, because it's a "masterpiece".
    The 70s and 80:s movies could get away with the most stupid things, but when a modern horror movie does the same, it's bitching time.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    maybrick likes this.
  9. ImmortalSlasher

Right now I don't know where I would rank Halloween Kills as I want to see all the movies after Part 3 again. With the exception of H20 as barely remember them. But I'm thinking that I'll take the original Halloween, Halloween 3, and H20 as the movies I want to keep in my Halloween collection. I was never crazy about Halloween 2 but I put up with it because of some scenes.

At the end of Halloween, Myers is the boogeyman. He's out there. It scared me as a kid. No reason to continue the story after that for the most part.

In Halloween Kills and I'll use the spoiler tag just in case
    Myers becomes very close to immortal and possibly only killed by some sort of supernatural scheme like in Friday the 13th Part 6. I think Laurie says something about him getting stronger when he's angry or attacked?! I don't how she would know that. But that's where this movie series is now. I guess if they go with the terrible ending that Laurie will figure out a way to kill him in the house and burn it down around him. Or something involving putting his body in a shredder.

I don't know why they want to fast forward the series and have the town deal with covid. I have zero clue why they want to do that and not end the series on this night like the original plan. It seems like we might get yet another Halloween 2018 movie with Laurie planning to hunt or wait for Michael's return.

10. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I always figured they wanted the audience to be "smarter" than the actors in these films , and the "flaws" never bothered me in the 70-80,s slashers ( good and bad) because I genuinely was interested in the characters ( I couldn't write a thesis about each one but I liked them more or less) in these films .
    Not so with modern slashers, every killer would mop the floor with the terminator, and a great deal of the victims are sterotypes and easily forgotten after they are killed (shedding more blood than the human body contains), and often you catch yourself ( at least me) checking your phone or solving a crossword while watching them ( after about a the first third of the film which gives me an opinion about the movie).

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Correct. I said that in my review of Halloween Kills. It's this entire reboot trilogy and the people in charge. I specifically pointed that out.

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

For my comment above. Don't get me wrong here. I love Halloween (1978). But the characters say and do stupid things, just like in any other slasher.

All I wanted from Halloween Kills, was a brutal and gory entertaining slasher, with Myers butchering a bunch of people, and that's exactly what I got.
    I wasn't going in expecting it to be the same as the original, because it's impossible to catch that lightning in a bottle again.

Plus, I just don't take these movies so damn seriously.

Natas, baggio, maybrick and 1 other person like this.
  13. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

If you take slashers seriously you probably couldn't enjoy 98% of them.

Steel76 and baggio like this.
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Guess your right on the humor here and there. But those kids were just brats, if anything they were annoying. I was hoping they got offed by Michael. The two guys. How do I put this real, real careful. That was definitely subdued. Slight humor in there. Now imagine that scene in the 80's or 90's. You get where I'm going with is?

15. maybrick

To stress it a little more since I didn't have time when I posted yesterday, the most annoying thing that always bothers me when I rewatch the original film is that damned window. From the second that Laurie locks the front door that window is never out of frame, and for the second that it maybe is is definitely not enough time for Myers to go from the front door to around the house and through unless he somehow off camera acts like a marathon runner and precognitively knows that the window is open before Laurie even closes the door. The scene only works for the very first time you watch it unless you're not in the habit of paying attention to movies. And yet nobody ever talks about this scene because you can forgive these mistakes when you enjoy the film as a whole. I think when it comes to the new movies people set themselves up to not liking it because they come in with preconceived notions of what a Halloween movie should be, which is more than likely just a remake of the first film. Sure, they say they don't want that, but nothing else would likely make them any happier.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For me, the difference between something like the original Halloween and Halloween Kills is that the original gives us a central group of characters to invest in, regardless of if you think their decisions are "stupid". Having a stake in these people adds an inherent suspense on top of the suspense Carpenter is already creating. You can have side-victims here and there, sure, but this is how the slasher film works best.

Halloween Kills has no central characters. You could say Laurie, or Karen, or Allyson, or even Tommy I guess, but that's only because of their appearances in previous films. Taken on its own, there is nothing there. Laurie is barely in the movie (and never crosses paths with Michael), and the rest get maybe 10 minutes of screentime each. This movie gives them nothing. Everyone is a side-victim. It spreads itself so thin jumping from plotline to plotline, you never get the opportunity to invest in anyone. It's just Michael going from victim to victim (who we meet only minutes before they are killed) and stabbing them. The movie doesn't even take the time to build suspense within these sequences, it's just stab-repeat-stab-repeat.

That said, if you're a fan of stab-repeat-stab-repeat you are probably going to love Halloween Kills. I don't think I'd call it the worst of the franchise or anything, but this is definitely lower-tier Halloween.

Stige likes this.
  17. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Damn, I always loved Nancy's delivery not only in Halloween, but The Fog as well. She has some of the best lines in both moves and her sarcasm adds a sense of realistic comedy that's all but missing in today's movies where they feel like the "comedy" has to be thrown in your face to work. I agree that her death scene is over the top by today's standards but I'll never forget seeing that for the first time on TV as a kid and how it not only scared the bejesus out of me but seemed almost torturous the way it dragged on. If Halloween were made today we'd start out with Nancy saying, "Shit! I spilled butter in my vagina!" followed by her being completely gutted in the car before having her face smashed through the driver's side window. Tommy would see Michael carrying her into the house and say, "Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!" because filmmakers seem to think that this is not only funny but also how children would react if confronted with the boogeyman/death in real life.

As far as maybrick's comment on, “The dog is barking again and getting on my nerves again!” I always thought this line was off and wonder if Nancy screwed it up but they ended up leaving it in. Wouldn't it make more sense to say, "The dog is barking again and getting on my nerves!" rather than saying "again" twice? There's a similar line in E.T. that's always bugged me where Drew Barrymore does the same thing with the word "now" and says, "I taught him how to talk now he can talk now." I can't imagine that line was written like that.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Copyboy likes this.
  19. maybrick

Does it really matter if it was written into the script? The fact is that it is there and Carpenter left it in rather than doing another take. It is only one example out of many cringy lines in the original Halloween. P.J. Soles rambling incessantly about books and her boyfriend’s comment about ripping 10 year old Lindsey’s clothes off are another two examples. You can make any excuse that you want to about how these are acceptable while similar lines in the new film aren’t, but that’s all they are: excuses.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the film and watch it sometimes twice a year. But it is the music and atmosphere that makes the film. Taken on its own merits the dialog is atrocious.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Steel76 likes this.
  20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'm too blinded by how hot Nancy Keys was to notice if she was bad at acting :)

[​IMG]

wago70, Copyboy, Natas and 2 others like this.