Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Count me in the “pretty fucking awesome” camp.

Lots of fan service.

Slight spoiler, they played this in the end credits..

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Should be catching this on Peacock soon. Maybe this weekend.

I heard the Blu will have a different cut and alternate ending. Maybe wait until that?

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I thought this one was terrible. The body count is high and there were a couple of kills I enjoyed but what a dumb bunch of characters. Everyone wants to kill Michael going so far as to chant "evil dies tonight." By the end of the movie I couldn't help but feel what was the point of this? If some of you enjoy this that's great but it is truly a poorly made film.

baggio, Copyboy, zbinks and 1 other person like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I loved it.
    Call me crazy, but I actually had even more fun with this one.
    It just had a better creepy atmosphere, and felt more like proper Halloween, than the last one.

The 1978 flashback was definitely a highlight.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Mok and Natas like this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The 78 flashback put a big smile on my face.

Mok and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

Mok and hots4 like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Enjoyed it. Loved the 70s part. Something is still off with the reboots. I enjoyed them but something about the magic of the originals is long gone. Probably the nostalgia factor given I watched the first five as a kid/young teen. I think there's just too much gore in these. I know that is blasphemy to some of you. Just my two cents.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'd say I personally like it more than the last one. The 2018 film had a better ending I think, in the fact that you could watch it as a completed story. This new one is obviously left wide open for the next film so it's a bit different in that regard. In any case, I'm thinking of watching the two back to back closer to Halloween.

I get what you mean. These are far gorier films than the original ever was. Kind of feels like a different Myers, but I guess the idea is that he's back with a vengeance and making up for lost time.

9. Up All Night

Up All Night New Member

I thought Kills was terrible. Every choice the writers made seemed off. None of the comedic bits hit. All the characters acted like they were victims of a city wide gas leak considering how foolish they acted. The riot scene in the hospital went on forever after the very obvious point was already made. The whole film seemed to both pander to and take advantage of the goodwill of certain horror fans. I never liked Rob Zombie's Halloween films but at least he had a voice and a style that seemed genuine (albeit not to my taste either).

Copyboy, fattyjoe37 and russweiss like this.
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the initial time I saw Halloween 2018 at the movies. I appreciate that they tried things that were different. And yeah, it does suffer a little bit with being the middle part of a trilogy that cannot be fully appreciated as a standalone. But I do like the callbacks with returning characters from the first last as well as not forgetting characters that died in the last one. I do wish that Lindsey had as much character development as Tommy did, especially since they got the original actress, but maybe they’re saving that for the next chapter. Over all it was a high wire act to get this exactly right and I think they succeeded in the ways that mattered most.

Edit: I like that they have returned Michael’s sense of humor like posing Big John and Little Jon in the same positions as in their framed photo. It’s the little things. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

This felt a little more like a pre-MPAA cut of a F13, than it did a Halloween, but not in a good way. Large body-count, excess gore, but it all mostly seemed like padding for a story that never really materialized. Aside from callbacks to other, better films in the series, this entry seemed really aimless. It didn't help that this entry has, IMO, the worst versions of the various score pieces from the original film and I kinda hate this "crispy" version of the mask. It also felt more like the Rob Zombie films, in style if not substance, than the John Carpenter original.

I'm a big supporter of doing a partial reboot of the series and eliminating the "family" angle that permeated all of the prior sequels and remakes, but we're technically three films into this Halloween universe, and it didn't really feel like this film laid much groundwork for Halloween Ends nor did it provide any additional context into the lore of Michael Myers. It's time to shit or get off the pot, already.

russweiss likes this.
  12. maybrick

It’s going to be impossible to surpass the original, or even equal it. That said, if we are totally honest there was no “story” that ever really materialized in the original either. If we are to believe the lore, the test audience back in 1978 didn’t like the film until the music was added. It was always the atmosphere, not the plot, that sold the movie. It sounds nice, but I don’t think any of us really want more added to the lore of Myers. We “think” we do, but we don’t. With the “With every kill Michael commits, he transcends” explanation we are already treading perilously close to the Thorn plot device. The more they explain about him, the lesser the Shape becomes. But I do understand the concern of the body count being too high like more of a F13 film. However, it’s more of a natural outgrowth of the ending of the last film. This is the 21st century where news travels lightning fast via smart phones. You can’t realistically have events take the same night and not increase the violence exponentially and have domino effects. That’s the thing that I always thought Halloween II got wrong. Aside from the cop car killing Ben Tramer and a small protest at the Myers house we never got a real impression the public even cared. And the hospital being barren with not even a reporter lurking in the shadows to get some footage of Laurie was frankly unbelievable.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Jesus, this was the main thing I didn't like about the movie: not EVERY character needs to have an "iconic" speech, and none of them need several. I mean, even Laurie's seemed neverending (and pretty unnecessary in the ending scenes).

It was okay. I'll watch it again, and will probably even buy it when the new trilogy set pops up down the road.

14. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

This movie made me feel sad, angry, uncomfortable, and disappointed, but not once was I scared.

15. maybrick

16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

This is so stupid, it's gotta been made by a troll?
    If not, then, what the fuck :D

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I mean, that petition is either a joke or they are one massive snowflake. What does he want, Michael to have some tea with them and thank them for their troubles?

Steel76 likes this.
  18. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Steel76 and hots4 like this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I would be more offended for the fact that it's stupid. Not offended that Firefighters got killed.