Final Destination

Discussion in 'General' started by TobalRox, Oct 7, 2001.

1. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I just watched this movie again for the first time in a while (my 3rd or 4th time), and it is still a great movie. Definitely, by far, the best horror movie of the 90s, or at least i should say "teen horror." I think it was extremely well made, and didn't go for the typical hollywood ending. Anyone else think that this was a great movie? I'm not saying there should be a sequel, but I think New Line should make more movies like this. If I remember correctly, it did well, and New Line needs movies to do well now.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yep

Loved it. One of the first movies I snuck into. Loved it, saw it again in theaters, rented it, and eventually bought the DVD. Awesome movie.

3. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Im gonna be un-popular again, but i really dont see what was so great about this movie, some of the special effects were good but i just remember sitting through it predicting every thing in advance and thinking `are we really this gullable?`
    This for me just fits into the Urban Legends/I Still Know What You Did Last Summer/Scream 3 catagory.....*yawn*
    Just my humble opinion, i guess my tastes in horror differ from the majority, ive had this argument before...lol
    (waits patiently for the backlash!) :cool:

4. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

You son of a bitch, don't ever post here again!! :D hehe, just kidding. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, don't worry about it. I just personally thought it was much better than those Scream, I know..., etc movies.

5. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

It wasn't all that great, but still certainly the best and most imaginative, along with the original Scream, of all the teen-horror to hit the big screen in recent years. Good leading actors, nice visuals and a bit of twist to the story to boot makes it a highly enjoyable little modern teen-slasher.

6. Bought the DVD used for $8 at my local Electronic's Boutique! Great flick! A different type of "thriller" in my view. U simply cannot escape dEaTh!

7. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Ali Larter didn't hurt it at all either ;) of course, she's way better as a blonde (as proved by the ending too).

8. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Thought it was ok. Didn't hate it,... but not even in my TOP 10 list of HORROR FILMS in the 90's. The 90's got some HARD criticism in horror films, but I think there were some decent films. Nothing like the 70's but not as bad as some people blast it.

FINAL DESTINATION - Good film. Opening sequence is BRUTAL!! (in a good way) And the "bus" totally caught me off guard. :D

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Apparently the streaming version of the first Final Destination is edited to remove the moment when a character mimics hanging himself while on the plane: https://screenrant.com/final-destination-movie-netflix-cut-scene-why/

Why this was done is unknown but presumably its reference to suicide and/or lynching was deemed offensive enough to edit out. I haven't seen the film so I'm not familiar with the context, but anyway you slice it this is bullshit. Horror films are our chance to confront these life's moments and to trim them out is counter to the very nature and purpose of a horror film.

m@ggot, othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I revisited it this year. Still holds up well. I enjoyed it.

othervoice1 likes this.
  11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch the whole series again. I stopped after Part 3 I think. Recently, there are things popping up in the media about movie edits. Perhaps if people did a better job teaching kids in school we wouldn't need to edit stuff out or maybe make movies that have obvious objectionable content.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I really like the films. Don't think I seen #5

Story. A long time ago before Blu was even a thing, I bought the first three films on DVD from Ebay. BIG mistake. I was sent bootleg copies. First and last time that ever happened to me. Was so pissed off. Anyway it actually turned me off to the series. Haven't seen the films since. Ha.

Any recommendations on buying the Blu's? Buy individually? Are they all the same transfers? I see so many combos of package deals. You would think Shout or somebody would release a box set.

Edit: LOL, holy timing. Funny how life works out. I see there's an Australian release, All Region. Roadshow coming in ....2 Days. A 5 film Blu-ray set. Never heard of that company though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Roadshow is one of the big companies in Australia, been around a while, I've got a lots of DVD's released by them. All have been sound.

Zombie Dude and baggio like this.
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I wonder if the transfers are new or just the Warner ones.

Using the first film for an example. There's a US, German, UK, Australian(Village Roadshow) Blu's

All seem to be the same. All the same extras. But this new Australian(Roadshow) release.. I see no specs yet. Literally zero info other that it's coming out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Unlikely to be a new transfer. I believe Warner released a cheap US blu-set of the first four movies. 4 discs, same as the standalone releases, only in one case. I used to see it at Target all the time. You could buy that and get the 5th separately. FYE used to have new copies of 1 - 3 standalone blus for $5 each. I have the standalone blus for 1 - 5 (slipcovers on the last two).

Worth mentioning, the blu-ray for 4 has both 2D and anaglyph 3D versions on the disc, and I'm unsure if the 4 movie set comes with the red and blue glasses.

Also, the blu-ray for 3 is missing a pretty major special feature from the DVD (it's even mentioned on the back of the blu-ray case, despite not being on the disc). That's the "Choose Your Fate" version. Scenes were shot specifically for the DVD release where you can watch the movie as a "choose your own adventure", making choices throughout the movie and altering the fate of characters. It's a pretty cool feature. The blu-ray doesn't even include all the alternate footage by itself.

baggio likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That Aussie set with all the movies has been out for years. It's great and was quite cheap too. One of my favorite purchases.

baggio likes this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So this one coming out is a reissue by a different Australian company?

Since you have it. Are the Special Features the same as Warner? Same PQ/Transfers too?

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I enjoyed all 5. Super fun series.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm assuming what you saw was this release:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/final-destination-5-film-collection-2000-blu-ray

If so, it's not actually a new release and has been out since 2017. I haven't watched the special features myself but the back case mentions commentaries and deleted/alt scenes for a few of them. For the money I think it's well and truly worth it.

baggio likes this.