Don't Breathe Sam Raimi produced Ghost House Underground trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, May 13, 2016.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

looks good from the director of Evil Dead remake comes out in theaters aug 26th 2016

Mok, Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

From the director of the remake? No offense but I have to pass.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Why? Seems quite narrow minded, I thought it looks good, I'll be seeing it.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this looks really good :)
    And I was one of the few, in this forum, that actually enjoyed the Evil Dead remake.
    So I'm looking forward to see the future films from the director.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Evil Dead remake was pretty good. Never understood the empty headed hate around here.

This looks good.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed the Evil Dead remake. Saw it theatrically and then bought and watched the blu-ray.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  7. maybrick

It isn't narrow minded. I simply value the time that I have left on Earth and I don't care to waste any more of it on bad horror movies. I won't be watching any more films by this guy than any more films by Eew Bull or the guy that produces the Paranormal Activity movies or the dude that made abe lincoln vampire hunter. What you call narrow minded, I call having preferences.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Fair enough, if the guy had made 5 movies and you hated them all, understandable, but you disliked one movie and now you don't want to see anything he does? If you said you thought the trailer looked shit, I'd understand, hey either way, no skin of my nose, just a comment.

9. maybrick

If I sat through 5 movies and hadn't figured out by by #3 that I don't like his films I'd wonder what the hell is wrong with me. I think you seriously underestimate how little I thought of his remake of the Evil Dead. I saw absolutely no clue or hint in his work that he had anything of merit to offer me in the future. None. But please, feel free to enjoy. Not my bag.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If you don't like his version of Evil Dead...cool. But it was one film and to just give up on a director after ONE movie IS narrow minded.

Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You can get a pretty good idea from one movie. That director might surprise you down the road, sure, but how many directors have done a 180? Especially when their efforts had been well received so there's not real impetus to change? Unless you hear something different it's a safe bet that you probably won't like the next thing they do either. And then the next. And the next...

If you had the choice between a movie from a director you historically like and another movie by a director you've historically disliked which would you choose? You're basically telling maybrick to put down that movie he wants to watch and watch five movies he'd rather not watch instead. To prove to himself that he really doesn't like them. What sense does that make? He probably already knew that.

It's a numbers game. And you make your choice based on available information. You can't watch every movie. So you play the percentages. We all do it.

maybrick likes this.
  12. maybrick

Pretty much spot on. Thanks.

I'm not saying that I would never see, or blatantly go out of my way to avoid, this film. But, knowing beforehand that it was made by the guy that did Evil Dead simply isn't a selling point for me. When it comes on TNT in the year 2030 (not nearly as far away as it sounds) then I'll take it for whatever it is worth.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks intriguing to me. The plot reminds me a bit of an episode of the old 1970 series THE INVISIBLE MAN.I see Stephen Lang is in it, he's a great actor.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

You are right, we can't watch everything, however, if you thought something looked fantastic and then said ow no don't want to watch that as I don't like the directors one other film don't you think that is a little narrow minded, no comment was ever made about thoughts on the trailer, for example I've never liked the few films I've seen from Spike Lee, however if I saw a trailer for an up coming film he was doing and I thought it looked good, I'd give it a go.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

16. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

It is a bit like saying that you didn't like Hitchcock's first film The Pleasure Garden (I didn't - it was shit), but does that mean you wouldn't give Psycho a go. This new film from Alvarez is getting some great reviews, seems silly to dismiss it right off the bat.

17. maybrick

You did NOT just compare Alverez to Hitchcock did you? :D Was Pleasure Garden the first film anyone saw by Hitchcock? No, it wasn't. I bet even Pleasure Garden had hints of future greatness, which Alverez doesn't as long as he insists upon writing his own scripts, too.

18. maybrick

It isn't just the director that's keeping me uninterested, Ghost House has a pretty atrocious track record so far. And I'm not going to pay much attention to the opinion of any reviewer that likes "thrill rides" as horror films.

19. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Haha! My point was that just because a directors first feature isn't great doesn't mean to say that anything he does in the future isn't great either.

It's more likely for a director to improve his skills. Or would you rather their first film be a masterpiece, then the only place to go is down.

Evil Dead 2013 was a competent and fun remake. I've a feeling you are comparing a remake to a much loved classic than accurately assessing said film on its own merits.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. maybrick

Your feeling is wrong. I like the original Evil Dead, but it doesn't qualify as a favorite of mine. I am capable of judging Alvarez's film on its own merits and imho it was a total mess script wise with an almost complete lack of internal logic. Back when it was new I listed several ways in which it went totally wrong which could have been solved had it not been written by an imbecile.