Dark Night Of The Scarecorw 30th AE Blu-Ray Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, May 14, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

If you pick up the recent issue of HorrorHound (issue #29), you'll find out that VCI is prepping up a 30th AE of Dark Night Of The Scarecrow for Blu-Ray!! The transfer will be a 1080p, 24fps, progressive transfer and may contain all new extras!! Pick up you copy of issue 29 of HorrorHound today and you'll see for yourself!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I am never buying another DVD ever again. :(

3. Nailwraps

More info!!!!!!:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/44458/30th-anniversary-blu-ray-dark-night-scarecrow-coming-october

"We got a heads-up this evening from Dark Night of the Scarecrow writer J.D. Feigelson himself that due to huge international demand, there is going to be a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release of the fan favorite film this coming October.

Here's what J.D. told us: "It will have a lot of bonus material, most of which has never been seen. We are catering to the items which the fans have repeatedly asked for. The release street date is on or about October 4th, just in time for All Hallows."

Director Frank De Felitta's Dark Night of the Scarecrow tells of a mentally handicapped young man (Larry Drake of Darkman and Dr. Giggles villainy) wrongfully accused of assaulting a young girl in a rural farm community. Veteran character actor Charles Durning leads a lynch mob of locals to hunt down the gentle simpleton, who attempts to disguise himself as the scarecrow in his mother's field, only to get gunned down in cold blood by the mob. The murderous rednecks get away with murdering an innocent man by putting a pitchfork in his dead hands and claiming they killed him in self defense -- that is, until the night someone dressed as that scarecrow begins picking them off one-by-one with that very same pitchfork."

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I thought this film would never look better than its brilliant DVD release...
    Man, how quickly things change.

5. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

30th Anniversary Blu-ray of Dark Night of the Scarecrow Coming this October!

DREAD CENTRAL: We got a heads-up this evening from Dark Night of the Scarecrow writer J.D. Feigelson himself that due to huge international demand, there is going to be a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release of the fan favorite film this coming October.

Here's what J.D. told us: "It will have a lot of bonus material, most of which has never been seen. We are catering to the items which the fans have repeatedly asked for. The release street date is on or about October 4th, just in time for All Hallows."

Director Frank De Felitta's Dark Night of the Scarecrow tells of a mentally handicapped young man (Larry Drake of Darkman and Dr. Giggles villainy) wrongfully accused of assaulting a young girl in a rural farm community. Veteran character actor Charles Durning leads a lynch mob of locals to hunt down the gentle simpleton, who attempts to disguise himself as the scarecrow in his mother's field, only to get gunned down in cold blood by the mob. The murderous rednecks get away with murdering an innocent man by putting a pitchfork in his dead hands and claiming they killed him in self defense -- that is, until the night someone dressed as that scarecrow begins picking them off one-by-one with that very same pitchfork.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Glad I didn't buy the DVD yet!!

7. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Glad i held off buying the dvd too.

8. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Bought the dvd when it came out but I'll gladly upgrade. Love this flick.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There's a news article regarding the Blu-ray in the latest issue of HorrorHound this month too.

They mention a retrospective documentary and a new commentary track with Larry Drake if my memory serves correct. Also shown was the Blu-ray artwork.

This is great news, as long as they don't release it as 1080i! :eek2:

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Though I would prefer that any transfer be 1080p; there's nothing inherently wrong with 1080i. There are several 1080i trasfers that are excellent &, if your Blu-ray player &/or your display have half-way decent deinterlacers, you are unlikely to notice the difference between 1080i & 1080p yourself. For instance, one of the first Blu-ray "reference" titles that gained so much fame in the early days of the formate was the 1080i transfer of Planet Earth.
    The problems only errupt when foriegn distributors in PAL countries decide to release titles in 1080i50. However, since 1080i60 is also supported in those countries, it really seems that the problem only occurs when distributors make foolish mistakes when choosing that resolution & frame rate at which to encode a disc. Frankly, the only titles that every should have been released in 1080i50 are those that were shot natively on 1080i50 camcorders- & those are extremely few & far between.

11. Katatonia

It would still look good in 1080i, but there's no reason that it shouldn't be presented here in 1080p to take full advantage of the format.

I only mentioned that in passing due to the previous DVD transfer.

12. Nailwraps

I told you in the other thread, that the transfer will be 1080p, 24fps, and progressive.

13. Katatonia

Okay, calm down now homecheese. ;)

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Hey, I think he's upset that his thread got "jacked."
    I think I can understand that!

15. foller

foller Active Member

Will the Blu have the same cover artwork?

16. Nailwraps

They had a pic in the HorrorHound issue. It's identical except it has "30th Anniversary Edition" on top instead of "The Original Classic". Note though, the artwork might change.

17. foller

foller Active Member

Don' t hope so, the artwork is great !

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

If there weren't any new extras I'd be pissed, but looks like this could shape up into a fine disc. Not sure why it would be 24P since it originally aired in 29.976i, unless they are going back to the original camera negatives, which I doubt exist at this point. Great movie though, and worthy of a double dip, even if it hasn't even been a year yet since the DVD.

19. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

now i can put the dvd with the bluray when i buy it like i have been doing with all the other blu rays i buy

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It hasn't even been a year. The same thing happened with The Stepfather.

It's nice that it is getting a blu-ray release, but could they please just release the blu-ray the first time around?

I think I just need to STOP buying DVDs. Period.