Complaint about Scanners (Cronenberg)

Discussion in 'General' started by Franco, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Franco

Franco Weekender

Here it is:

In the final showdown between Revok and Cameron, Cameron loses his eyes during the mental fight. We see his eyes liquify, almost just dissappear, don't even explode, we don't see enough blood/tissue coming out of the eye cavity, it's as if the eyes were just a thin layer of tissue that come away so easily when the eyes are really almost like balls that occupy a considerable part of the head. Can't just go away as easy as shown...

Do you know if Cronenberg has said anything about it in any of his interviews?

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Without getting too specific the scene is meant to show a character burning up from the inside out.Guess you could say all of the nerve and connective tissues were already burned up,the blood boiling away to a large extent.

Of course from a practical standpoint you also had a movie trying to get by with an "R'' rating in America instead of an "X'' .I'm not sure of how your rating system works in Peru but in the U.S. an "R'' can only be seen by children under 17 if an adult is accompanying them while an "X'' (which is no longer used today) would have stopped a younger audience from being able to buy tickets entirely.Of course some underage people would flaunt the ratings ("R'' or "X'') and just try to sneak into a restricted show but it would be harder to do and if you were caught you could be tossed out of the theater without a refund.

For it's day SCANNERS was pretty graphic,it was pushing the envelope of the "R'' rating.Making the eye sequence any more "accurate" might have caused the film to get a tougher rating,the studio would've lost money.It's always a battle to see what you can get past the ratings boards here and it always seems like horror films get picked on more than other genres.It's not always fair but it often seems to be the case.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

My complaint is why we haven't seen a SE of this film. Anchor Bay can easily snatch this title from MGM no problem.

4. Franco

Franco Weekender

If there is a Scanners remake soon, we have a high probability that a SE could be released.

I just hope that they include that liquified eyes scene again...

5. Erick H.

Isn't there a Region 2 special edition ?

6. Franco

Franco Weekender

There WAS I guess. I'm trying to get it through amazon.co.uk but it says it's temporarily unavailable. I hope it is so (temporarily) and not definitely.

According to DVDCompare also de lip-sync issues are gone in that version.

I'll report here as soon as I get those DVDs...well, if I ever get them.

Anyways, I'd still buy a unitedstatesofamerican special edition if it comes out with spanish subtitles. I know english but some friends of mine don't and I'd like to see the movie with 'em sometime in the future.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, this and the brood need better presentations on disc. maybe they'll get a little more beefy when they're brought to blu ray. whenever that happens....

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

forgot about that. probably didn't pay much attention after seeing that a) it was region B (or at least said so in the initial post) and b) didn't have any extras. Obviously the film is the most important thing, but I always feel very let down when blu rays are anounced without any supplements. especially when cronenberg has been so willing to sit down to discuss his other films. In these cases the responsibility for the lack so supplements can be laid squarely at the feet of the disc producer.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Your complaint is funny dood :D

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Been a while since I've watched the film.

Attached Files:

12. Franco

Franco Weekender

I'm still wondering how it would be to direct such a scene (cameron vs revok showdown).

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I hate this movie with a passion.

But that's because I couldn't quite understand what the fuck it was about, what Cronenberg was trying to say. At one point, there's just a gang of people with guns killing everyone in sight. The whole movie turns into chaos. Was Cronenberg trying to mindfuck, get a gut reaction, or say something socially or politically? It seemed like the movie was #2; the gut reaction.

I would have just shrugged the whole thing off as a very stupid sci-fi action movie but this is the guy who made Videodrome, which I worship, the next year. A fascinating study of several obviously socio-politically relevant things (as well as the human body), done in a very intellectual way. I haven't heard anyone explaining the significance of what's going on in Scanners. It kinda seems like another takeover film. The movie builds up the idea and profile of this evil organization, show them doing evil things, and one of their henchman is shown "winning" at the end. What's the point of that? Is the organization supposed to be a reference to terrorists? Politicians? Us? And if so, what's the point of just watching people kill each other to stop this organization if it turns out there was no way that was going to be possible?

14. Erick H.

The film was inspired in part from the infamous Thalidomide disaster.In the late 50's a drug hit the market (Thalidomide) that was marketed as a safe,mild sedative for use by pregnant woman.Tragically the drug was not adequately tested and as a result many children were born severely deformed.
    CronenberG,inspired by this awful story,took the basic idea of a huge conglomerate placing a drug on the market that was likewise poorly tested and as a result,leads to children being born powerfully mutated (becoming Scanners,potentially deadly telepaths).The film uses that back story to springboard a combo of 70's style conspiracy film and sci-fi/horror.The rival Scanner factions (Revok's power hungry group and the more experimental,hippy like peacenicks) show the possibilties this new evolution of mankind can take,for good or evil.The Dr. Ruth figure is the shared father figure for the hero and the bad guy,giving it an added dimension.

The super powered telepath/conspiracy concept was played out a couple of years before SCANNERS by DePalma's THE FURY but Cronenberg adds his trademark offbeat ideas,quirky characters and sterile imagery to give the film a different vibe.While it is undoubtedly more mainstream than later works like VIDEODROME and EXISTENZ (or even the earlier,rougher edged SHIVERS) it's still,in my opinion very much in the vein of his body of work from this period.It's certainly more offbeat than his later,much admired THE DEAD ZONE.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I actually felt The Fury was a bore but that Scanners really had me on the edge of my seat for awhile. Then, the gun massacre happens and I pulled out so fast that I just got angrier and angrier until the ending where I swear I said, "you're not gonna... you didn't..." One of the filmmakers I most respect turning in one of the biggest "What the Fuck" endings I've ever sat through. But I really went into it expecting a horror film. Horror films, by my definition, should make me tense but not piss me off. This movie pissed me off, big time. Which is such a shame, because I heard people slamming the lead actor. I thought he was great. Ironside was incredible. The head exploding scene didn't disappoint by a long shot. I was really getting into it.

If your background into the movie is all he had going into it, I still have to wonder- what was he thinking? Until I really find what I'm looking for to explain this, I'm sticking to my gut and my gut tells me this sucks and was a huge mistake.

16. Erick H.

That's cool,people can certainly disagree.Though I quite enjoy it I wouldn't rate it among my favorites of his films either.As I said,it's a bit more mainstream.