Candyman

Discussion in 'General' started by RyanPC, Oct 8, 2003.

1. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

It's a great looking film but I agree with Myron Breck - I enjoyed it but the scares weren't really there. I'd be curious to know if there was a lot of post-production reshaping or if the script was being rewritten during production because it sometimes felt like two different scripts merged together. The scene with the girls in the bathroom felt tacked on despite how prominent it is in the trailer. That the one girl appears earlier in the art gallery makes me wonder if she was originally meant to be a more prominent character (was she supposed to be the art critic's daughter?) Also the story of Brianna's artist father felt like it was leading to some reveal that never happened.

And maybe it's my white privilege showing but I didn't quite get what the "message" of the Candyman legend was supposed to be. They explained that Candyman represented every unjustly persecuted black man throughout history but then why would the Candyman spirit try and lure and kill other innocent people? Wouldn't he/they be more about avenging injustice? I never really understood the motivations in the original movie either though

russweiss likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’ve never bothered with more than the first. The other seemed STV, and the first one I thought was horribly dated when I revisited it ten years later and haven’t seen it since.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

There was a lot of articles out there though, that made it seem like it was coming to streaming.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Never liked the sequels much either. 2 has a few good ideas but as a whole I don't think it's a very good sequel, and 3 is just plain forgettable and bad.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I give anything featuring Veronica Cartwright more credit than it probably earns.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Caught this last night

It was OK. Tony Todd is not Candyman. He makes an appearance........
    for 3 seconds at the very end

There were a couple cool deaths. But nothing you haven't seen before. It was shot pretty cool but overall I found it forgettable. First one is a lot better. Doubt I'll revisit this new one.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looks like DEC 1 is now the release date for the 4K bluray combo pack,bluray DVD combo and DVD.

8. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I just got back from it. Decent movie. A bit sluggish at times, but it's definitely better than the sequels.

I will say this: Vanessa Williams hasn't aged a minute since the first film.

chancetx likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Coming to PVOD this Friday. Universal has been dropping these a day early, so we'll likely see it available on Thursday.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Honestly, I thought this was kind of terrible. Down at the bottom with Day Of The Dead, and personally I'd be more inclined to revisit Day Of The Dead than I would this because at least that has Tony Todd going for it. The new Candyman himself is very bland and not scary or compelling the way he should be. If you're looking for a horror movie, there are really only two horror set-pieces: one in an art gallery (the sole highlight of the movie) and the other being the girl's restroom scene from the trailer. Not once in this movie did I feel any sort of tension, suspense, or fear. 90% of the movie is just the boring lead characters sitting around a loft talking.

They made the main character here an artist whose art parallels the themes and ideas of the movie, which allows them to have the main character basically addressing the camera and explaining these themes to the audience. It's a pretty lazy and uninteresting tactic, especially compared to the original which trusts its audience enough to read between the lines. Strangely, the movie also makes a lot of effort to tie itself to the original film with Helen Lyle and Anne-Marie (and come on, what a generic and obvious reveal that was) while at the same time making it very clear that this new Candyman is not Daniel Robitaille. I will give the movie credit because all of this does come together at the very end, but everything just feels extremely sloppy and scatterbrained while you are waiting for it to get there.

Also, for a sequel to a movie with one of the best scores in horror history, the new score for this movie is one of the most cheap, shrill, and grating scores I have ever heard. I almost had to mute the opening credits, it is that bad.

Biggest disappointment of the year by far.

f0t0z00m and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I watched this last night and was enjoying it for a bit at the start. By the time the end rolls around I couldn't believe how hollow and pointless the whole thing felt. I enjoyed a lot of the mirror stuff with the deaths but that's probably it.
    The score was awful. The story was dull and didn't even come close to being as compelling, interesting or smart as the original film. I can't say I loved the idea of there being many different Candymans, none of which ever had a haunting presence. And outside of the gallery scene, the movie was very light on gore.

Also the whole bee sting/ honeycomb thing going on didn't make any sense to me. For one, why didn't he go to the hospital when his hand looked severely infected? And then what was actually happening there because the outcome seemed to just be for a cool look rather than anything that made a lick of sense.

At least the new Halloween film looks like it shouldn't leave me disappointed this year.

f0t0z00m and Steel76 like this.
  12. sinister

sinister Active Member

I thought this looked absolutely great in places. Some exceptional photography, direction, lighting, sets, locations etc. created a great atmosphere. The art gallery scene... just perfect. Unfortunately most of the rest was poor to mediocre. Some terrible acting, awful dialogue and the laughable attempts at race baiting ruin what could otherwise have been a great movie. I thought the soundtrack was well done (some good atmospheric surround effects) but that music on the credits, yeah, WTF was that? Also watched the new Clint Eastwood movie last night (Cry Macho) and have to say it was even worse, haha.

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw Cry Macho yesterday and was disappointed as well. At 90 years old Eastwood still had the vanity to have two female characters that were young enough to be his granddaughter show sexual interest in him. Laughable and sad.

14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watch this.
    This was one of the worst horror movies, I've seen lately.
    Glad I didn't watch it in the theaters...

I'm done with Jordan Peele productions.

Zombie Dude likes this.