Candyman

Discussion in 'General' started by RyanPC, Oct 8, 2003.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

With the remake coming out this week I decided to watch the original again. I haven't seen it since the theatrical release in 1992. I've never seen Farewell to the Flesh or Day of the Dead and after watching the original again I'm not really inspired to. Flesh is free to watch on Amazon Prime so maybe I'll give it a shot.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's not a remake though, but a direct sequel to the 1992 original.

"the 2021 Candyman will be a direct sequel to the original 1992 movie, by passing the other two sequels (let’s all say farewell to Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh). The movie follows Anthony McCoy (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II), the little boy that Helen Lyle saved in the first movie. He’s grown up now, moving back to Cabrini Green, which has now been gentrified beyond recognition. Suffering from artist’s block, Anthony becomes inspired by the legend of Candyman and starts to explore the stories that fuel the myth. Of course, that only invites interest from the vengeful spirit himself ...

And yes, the iconic Tony Todd returns as Candyman. "
    https://www.polygon.com/2021/6/23/22547218/candyman-2021-nia-dacosta-jordan-peele-trailer

russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Did you like it, because it sounds like you didn't?

4. russweiss

I didn't dislike it but found it very plain. It had a relatively small budget so I'm sure it made a lot of money which is what spawned the sequels. I remembered the basic premise but not much else in the nearly 30 years since my only other viewing. It just didn't have anything special for me. Tony Todd is probably most well known for this role but the way the character was written almost anyone could have portrayed it. I watched the director's cut on the Scream Factory release which was very nice quality. There are a lot of extras which I plan on watching as well. I've also got the Arrow version but likely will never open that as I may not even be alive in 30 years for my next viewing.

5. Zombie Dude

Oh man, Candyman is great. The score, the play on urban legends, the atmosphere of the grimy locations. It all works so well. It's yearly to every few years viewing easily.

SilentScreams, Natas and Steel76 like this.
  6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I love the 90s video feel of Candyman. I haven't upgraded my dvd and probably won't. Gonna try and watch this week prior to seeing the new one in theaters this weekend..... That's the plan anyways

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

If you love the film I definitely recommend the blu. I have the Arrow collectors set which I love. Looking forward to seeing how the new film follows on.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

But does Tony Todd return as Candyman? Ive just seen a review and they suggest he doesn't!

9. Steel76

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    hots4 likes this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Steel76 likes this.
  11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Seen somewhere over on blurays website the release date for the 4k bluray and DVD is Nov 16.

12. Zombie Dude

For the new film? Kind of makes sense to have it hit super early with Covid. I'm still currently in a lockdown and can't see shit at the theatre. Even if I could I'm not sure I'd want to currently.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Three months is the traditional window for theaters to disc, so it really isn't that early.

This being a Universal release, it should follow their PVOD rule where it'll be on digital in about 17 days if it makes under $50 million and 30 days if it makes over.

14. Zombie Dude

Actually, I just did a quick look online and this seems to be coming to HBO Max on the 27th. So we should be able to watch it very soon.

15. Steel76

It's a Universal movie, so it's not coming to HBO Max (Warner). And it's exclusive for theaters for now.

No problems with covid, in our town, so we're going to see the movie on sunday.

Though, if it was available on streaming, we probably would watch it on the projector at home instead.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I caught a showing last night and liked it; not sure it's something I'll buy, but it is worth a look for fans of the movies. I liked how they brought the mythology over from the original but the scares just weren't there for me. Some nice gore. Likeable characters. I did see it with a black audience, which I prefer for movies like this, though they weren't as rambuntious as expected.

chancetx likes this.
  17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Watched all 3 films the first 2 is really good still but the 3rd film is really bad.

18. Steel76

I had forgotten everything about that one. So I checked out the trailer, and got instant flashbacks.

Even the trailer makes me wanna puke...
    Typical 90:s DTV trash.
    So many franchises that got fucked up by cheap DTV sequels back then...

19. russweiss

This was an unnecessary continuation of the saga. A bunch of random characters say candyman into the mirror to raise the body count. The final summoning didn't even follow this format as Teyonah Parris only says candyman 4 times with a different person saying it the fifth. The film has an R rating but 90% of the violence is done off camera. Had they not shown some of the aftermath I think it could have gotten a PG-13 without any issue. Tony Todd only has about a five second cameo and I'm not sure why. He could have easily played all the scenes even at the age of 67. Having Vanessa Williams reprise her role of Anne McCoy (the baby's mother) was my favorite moment from the movie. The first film is much better.

chancetx likes this.
  20. Zombie Dude

It appears my searching was poor :(

Steel76 likes this.