Candyman

Discussion in 'General' started by RyanPC, Oct 8, 2003.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Watched this again today and would be interested in hearing everyone's opinions. :)

I realized just today that it has to be one of my all-time favorite movies... it is so creepy and disturbing, and it has one of the best scores ever, IMO-- it's so beautiful and haunting at the same time. Excellent film, and the transfer on the DVD isn't bad, but this really deserves the SE treatment.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention Virginia Madsen's fantastic performance in this movie. :)

All the performances were good. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2003
  2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

This is one of my favorites too. I like part 2 as well, although it suffers a little by not having Virgina Madsen. She rocked this movie. I think it was in part her excellent performance that elevates this movie from ok to good.

She got further than I would have guessed in the horror actress tournament we had awhile back. It warmed my heart as I am a sucker for this movie.

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

imo this is definately one of the best horror movies, and definately on of the creepiest. the whole 'ghetto' angle (for lack of better word) puts a more realistic spin on things for a mostly supernatural story, which I liked. some really, really creepy environments (I REALLY didnt want her to go through that hole in the wall:eek1: ) one of barkers best. although I like everything he does;)

4. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

yup definete classic right here.... watching it for the 1st time as a kid, i viweed the whole thing and actaullly stopped it at the very end right before madesen appears to trevor, because of how scared i was..... this move fucking rocks

5. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

One of my top 20 horror movies here... not to mention one of the best original score ever made by my favorite XXth century composer, Philip Glass.

There is just so many things chilling about this movie. It is very effective. If this or/and Hellraiser are considered slashers, they definetely are both my favorites of the genre.

aoiookami, give credit where it's due... While it's a good Barker story, gotta give props to the director of the movie as well. Bernard Rose. Underrated director of another memorable horror movie, Paperhouse. Along with Immortal Beloved, Anna Karenina and Ivansxtc. He did a fantastic job on this one, which just got further proof by the poor quality of the sequels (the feeling just isn't the same on the sequels, even if the second have it's merits. The director is not there to hold it all together again)

6. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i just watched part 2 and thought that it was really good. i'm trying to pick up the first one still but i know i like it as well. AHHH! it's candyman!!!!!.....................oh wait, it's just some black guy:rolleyes:

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

CANDYMAN is a perfect example of a new classic, and is easily one of the best films of the 90s! The film is very eerie, and it stays that way throughout. The combination of the moody score, the ghetto setting, and Tony Todd's amazing performance make for a very eerie and damn good experience! The sequels were decent, but can't hold a candle to this gem. This film is too often overlooked, but it has all of my respect, and it should get more and more respect in time. While the DVD is decent, I agree that a SE would be to die for.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Oh man, I agreed with everything you just said here. :)

9. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I love it and part 2. But part 3 was horrible. O my god was that one horrible.

10. tyuun

tyuun New Member

I saw this awhile back and don't remember much from it but just ordered myself a copy from Amazon.

11. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yes, I've heard there is an SE in the works, which I'm definitely happy about since Candyman is a favorite of mine. I already have the old DVD, which was OK, but me thinks it is sorely in need of an upgrade.

13. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I have to say that i never really was that impressed with this film....

14. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I saw a rumor a while back that Sony was working an SE. I guess this confirms it! Hooray!

Edit: I realized that "confirms" and "IMDb" rarely go together. So I looked up Automat Pictures. Nothing about Candyman, but they've done a lot of work for Sony's DVDs so I wouldn't write this off just yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  15. latenite

latenite Guest

great movie. i'm glad it's getting a special edition treatment. if you've ever been around Cabrini Green (the housing projects where it was filmed) at night, you would get a much better picture of how truely terrifying this flick is.

16. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I saw something on 60 Minutes II or Dateline... one of those shows anyway... about Cabrini Green. Apparently it was torn down to make way for better housing.

17. latenite

latenite Guest

yeah, i should've mentioned that you needed to have checked it out in the 80's or 90's to get the full effect. cabrini green is getting wiped out to allow a bunch of rich yuppie condominiums to be built. kinda sad, but i can't complain - it's making old town a safer place to get around. it's quite hilarious to see signs for million dollar homes a block away from a rundown building and an open lot with a bunch of gang bangers standing around blasting 50 Cent and looking tough. :lol:

18. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Here's another interesting IMDB.com entry...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405836/

This too, is dated "2004". Likely a small featurette on Barker. "Hell" is in the title probably because he's most famous for the Hellraiser series, as to my knowledge, there is no upcoming disc release or re-release of any of the Hellraiser films.

So this and the other documentary found on the IMDB make a pretty strong argument that a Candyman SE is indeed on the way.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Not that I'm encouraging another AB rerelease, but now that I think about it, isn't Hellraiser an obvious one for them to rerelease in their Divimax line?

20. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Good news! I contacted the guys over at Creature Corner. They did some digging and got back to me. A special edition is indeed in the works! If they do an update about it I hope they have more details.

About the sequels... 3 is awful all the way. That's all I can really say about that.

Farewell to the Flesh is enjoyable and is one of the better sequels out of all of the ones I've seen. Bill Condon admitted to mistakes he made with it in the commentary. I have to agree with him on the biggest one of all. Candyman was brought out of Chicago and made too real. The original Candyman was ambiguous. You couldn't be entirely sure that Helen wasn't crazy and imagining it all.

The sequel decided for the audience that Candyman was real. The characters became less important. The scares were cheapened. But it was nicely directed and entertaining.

The first was very... I don't know. It was gothic, romantic, and frightening all at the same time. I wish the love story had been played up a little bit more. Madsen and Todd had great chemistry and the excellent score by Philip Glass was most effective during the "waltzing" scene in my opinion. I have a revised copy of the script that lacks the theatrical ending and exhibits some other minor differences from the final film. The numerous scene numbers with "SCENE DELETED" next to them are a huge cocktease though.