BREAKING: Scorpion to release Humongous & More on New Line

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

By rhett on May 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

80s horror fans have already had a few nice surprises this year with announcements like SLEDGEHAMMER, but this one takes the cake. Scorpiron Releasing will be debuting the following favorites coming out in September: HUMONGOUS, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, THE CARPENTER, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS, THE MARK OF CAIN and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. As if that weren't good enough, they're also re-releasing the beloved and hard to find FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS and THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. All nine DVDs will be on a new "Katrina's Nightmare Theatre" line featuring intros and extros by WWE star Katarina Leigh Walters. It's about time we had a new Elvira!

I'm salivating too much at the thought of finally seeing the Canadian giallo sleeze-classic, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE cleaned up on DVD. I'll just go ahead and quote their official press release:

Also, here's a sample of the cover art for each disc, staying very true to the original poster art:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Excited?

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

1. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Joysticks looks far better than that crappy old Liberation DVD. I popped it in to compare with the new disc's transfer, and it's a huge improvement. It's much less dark, has less print damage, and there's just overall more details visible.

It is grainy, and likely off a good film print as opposed to the original negative. But I wouldn't be surprised if Liberation simply through out the film elements from what has previously been said regarding them.

It also runs several minutes longer than the cut used on the Liberation DVD. I don't know if that's because it was possibly sourced from a PAL tape or what...but it is longer.
    2. sumo8675309
      sumo8675309
      time to sell my bci eclipse copy for a bundle :evil:
    3. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      got joysticks today. ok picture. better than previous versions iam sure. not as dark. a commentary is strange. its ok, but lots of dead spots....found out this was lensed in fall of 82. and that damn jim greenleaf, what a slob. i wonder if he ever lost weight. or what he looks like now??
    4. nateynate87
      nateynate87
      Anyone pick up scorpions release of Savage Streets yet? How does it compare to the other releases?
    5. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    6. nateynate87
      nateynate87
    7. Katatonia
      Katatonia
    8. JGrendel
      JGrendel
      I know this may be a different can of worms, but I was thinking if we started a petition do you think Bill would let Scorpion release a blu-ray of Savage Streets? What does everybody think?
    9. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Good question. They are brothers after all, but seem to be rivals...unless I've misread between the lines. I've often thought it would be positive if the two companies merged.
    10. JGrendel
      JGrendel
      Either way I think a blu-ray of Savage Streets is desperately needed & long over due!!
    11. Demoni
      Demoni
      Madman Bill still uses analog tapes as a listening device.
      DVD technology is new to him... don´t force the man to have (another) mental breakdown about blu-ray...
    12. JGrendel
      JGrendel
      The thing is he wouldn't have to. Bill could take his cut and the glory then let Scorpion do all the heavy lifting.
    13. Demoni
      Demoni
      Too much trouble... he prefers the old spit in the hand + handshake... :D
    14. Chomp
      Chomp
      When Scorpion first announced they'd be releasing films on BD, I thought I remember reading they had no plans to release Savage Streets on BD yet, but it could still be in the cards further down the line?

And I don't know why you guys are raggin' on Bill so much...hell, if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have even had that glorious Savage Streets 2-discer released awhile back.
    15. JGrendel
      JGrendel
      Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not raggin' on Bill at all. I'm very thankful for his efforts with one of my favorite films. I would just like to Savage Streets look the best it can and I know blu-ray is the way to go.
    16. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Scorpion has stated that their licensing agreement was for a DVD-only release of Savage Streets. Code Red holds the license for a possible Blu-ray release.
    17. elDomenechHDG
      elDomenechHDG
      Even if a Blu-ray were to be greenlit tomorrow I wouldn't buy it. Just bought Scorpion's 2-disc, which brings my total copies to three. I love the film but enough is enough.
    18. Chomp
      Chomp
      Ah yes, thanks hun...I found the article; it was Final Exam that he mentioned, not Savage Streets.
    19. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Are you sure? I swear he mentioned somewhere it was the same case for their license of Savage Streets also. Both films are licensed from Bryanston.
      Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    20. Chomp
      Chomp
      Yup...from the Blu-ray.com forums:

Luckily, Walter has mentioned "Final Exam" and "The House on Sorority Row" as being considered. Unfortunately, his contract for "Savage Streets" was only for DVD rights. Maybe in the future he can renegotiate for a Blu-ray release."