Ben Wheatley's Kill List (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

Finally, after waiting to see a teaser or trailer for Ben Wheatley's second feature after it premiered at SXSW to rave reviews, we finally have 2 teasers and a trailer hit this week!

Down Terrace was one of my favourite films from last year, and the promise that Kill List is riding on has made it my most anticipated release of 2011. Optimum Releasing has a UK release set for September, and IFC Midnight has picked up the US rights but no release date as of yet.

Synopsis: Eight months after a disastrous job in Kiev left him physically and mentally scarred, ex-soldier turned contract killer Jay (Maskell), is pressured by his partner Gal (Smiley), into taking a new assignment. The film follows as they descend into the dark, disturbing world of the contract, Jay begins to unravel once again -- his fear and paranoia sending him deep into the heart of darkness.

Teaser #1 - http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/07/eerie-first-teaser-for-ben-wheatleys-kill-list.php

Teaser #2 - http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/07/exclusive-second-teaser-for-ben-wheatleys-kill-list.php

Trailer - http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2011/07/20/Full-trailer-for-critically-acclaimed-KILL-LIST

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Blackheart

Blackheart Member

Ah, this looks good. Has a Wicker Man feel near the end of this trailer.

It's playng here at the Melbourne International Film Festival - I really want to go but can't find anyone who wants to tag along!

3. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

One of my favorite blogs, Criterion Corner, ranked Kill List as one of the ten best movies of 2011. Can't wait to watch it. Anyone seen it and feel passionately about it, one way or another?

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I blind bought the UK Blu-ray in December since it was my most anticipated film of last year, and enjoyed the hell out of Wheatley's previous film Down Terrace, so I had to pick it up as soon as soon as it was released. And I loved it, and it definitely made my top 10 for 2011.

Like every other person who's seen the film, or reviewed it, definitely go into this film without knowing too much. Great performances, tense, realistic, and scary with just the right flourishes of humour to balance it all out. Recommended.

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Slipping not-so-comfortably into my usual nay-sayer shoes, I have to say I was very disappointed with this film.

Yes, it had moments. Yes, it has some surprises (although not as SHOCKING as some ads and critics would lead you to believe), but all in all ... It just didn't work for me. It felt very disjointed (I know some of that was on purpose ... but to what purpose?) and the ending just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you take what comes prior to it into consideration.

It's like no one stopped to think that audiences might actually think back to some earlier scenes to see how they fit into things. Because they don't fit. The huge plot holes just bothered me.

That and that none of the characters were particularly likable. Jay's family, especially, was under-developed, all things considered.

So yeah .. I can see how the twists and surprises and the apparent freshness of the Mike-Leigh-kitchen-sink-style-meets-genre-film might make some people like this film, but it just fell flat for me.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The Hammer bit... Holy....
    Loved it btw :)

7. sinister

sinister Active Member

I *really* liked the first 3/4 of this, it's a real shame someone decided to tack the end of some other random bad movie with the same actors on the end. So 4/10 for the ending, 10/10 for the rest.

My advice is this... when you see torch/mask guy from the pic above, press pause, imagine the screen fades down to black and you hear gunfire for 10 seconds or so, then the end credits come up.

8. Mr. Cole

Mr. Cole Member

Tough to comment on this without giving much away. On first viewing, I too was captivated for nearly all of it then was let down at the end. However after thinking through the various themes, and searching for others' readings on the film, I now think the ending is not all that bad.

For those of you that felt frustrated/confused/robbed, check out this link to some interesting, extensive discussion on various theories on what is really going on (don't click if you have not yet seen it):

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/2011/09/04/discussion-what-really-happens-in-kill-list-spoilers/

9. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Another one that was killed by hype for me. It was good, sure, but wow are people overrating this. I sat down ready to be shocked, horrified and see what people were calling the best horror movie in decades, what I got was a pretty run of the mill thriller with more drama than horror, more scenes of family life and conflict than anything else. I dunno, I guess being in financial straights and fighting with your spouse is rather terrifying.

10. sinister

sinister Active Member

I felt frustrated and robbed , yes, but the only thing that confused me was that apparently no one took the director aside and asked him "Are you serious?"" when they saw how he planned to end the movie. :)

11. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre Member

Finally saw it. I'd agree that it's very inconsistent. To credit the director with having some master plan/intent seems inconsequential, because the film really isn't any good. (Some of the imagrey and shots are interesting, but that's about all I'll concede.) We've seen the mystery cult ending very recently (House of the Devil, that possession flick with the gymnast girl), and its a threadbare device. Audiences seem to want to will this to be a Land of the Dead or Wicker Man (genre films clearly underpinned by an ideological thrust), but it's hopelessly muddled.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw this today - actually went in having no idea what it was about - just thought it was some sort of crime action movie. I have to say I liked it but at the end I really had no idea what it all meant.
    After reading a really good article on it it makes more sense to me now. I can see why it might have a love/hate following. Anyways here is the article if anyone wants to read it - I would only read it AFTER you see the movie:

http://www.holymoly.com/film-dvd/blog/kill-list-what’s-it-all-about-then61097

Was cool to see the girl from The Descent in it - I knew I recognized her and was driving me nuts trying to remember what I had seen her in - thank you IMDB!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Saw this as a part of my "October Viewing" month, and this has to be my favorite horror film of this year. The film is a slow burn and manages to keep the tension rising until its climax. Filled with great acting, and incredible writing and directing from Ben Wheatley, the pay off is everything I hoped it would be. Sure, it is mostly a crime/action film that transforms into a horror film in its third act, which is handled kind of awkwardly, but the atmosphere created by Wheatley is so authentic it does not ruin the mood for me. The one thing that truly held this movie back from being perfect is the finale, which I saw coming.

On a side note:

Is it me, or does the ending have a fair resemblance to the ending of "A Serbian Film"?

14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Modern films fall into two categories for me: Disposable or Unforgettable. This was Disposable entertainment. Good for one viewing, on to the next 90 minutes to kill on a boring Saturday afternoon.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I just watched this on Netflix after a neighbor gave it a high recommendation.

And I have to say I was really impressed with this one. I'm surprised by all the negativity this has stirred. It did take a little while for me to get invested as the characters are difficult to like. And up until and including the dinner scene, I did have a hard time getting where they all were coming from. But, after that, the fragmented story-telling really began to work for me and I grew to love it and really "like" the characters quite a bit. Yes, they are troubled and troubling at times, but I found them to actually be rather rich and interesting, if not likeable.

Since others have already mentioned it, there are easy comparisons to Wicker Man. But it also reminded of a handful of the films Roeg made in the 70s, particularly "Don't Look Now" and "Bad Timing", both of which I think are excellent. And this film compared quite favorably to them.

So, yeah, I easily put this up as one of the best horror films I've seen this decade.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Saw this last night, knowing nothing about it. As noted above, it is disjointed--but I think that works in the film's favor, as once things turn, there isn't much for the view to hold onto. It's unsettling. As also noted above, pieces of the plot simply do not fit together from what we are given. But wow, does this film ever reach beyond its initial premise and morph into a strange horror film. Recommended.