Arrow Video US / CA / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I ordered from Diabolik online store. They package pretty well. Grindhouse online store is really good and they package well. I've taken a chance and ordered the Sam Katzman collection from Zavvi.com. I have ordered before but they sent my order in a thin cardboard box from the UK which thankfully wasn't too dinged up.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I have never seen Phantom of the Mall. What other films might you compare it to? It's the same director who did the ridiculous Doom Asylum (hated that movie) and also features Pauly Shore. Just wondering if this is more of a horror comedy like something Vinegar Syndrome loves to release or is Phantom of the Mall played more seriously?

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Like I said, I haven't seen it. I've seen enough of Doom Asylum to sway me from a purchase, but I really liked Scared Stiff - also by Richard Friedman. I love the slasher sub-genre and am inclined to blind-buy anything I haven't seen - with a few exceptions (like Memorial Valley Massacre, which just looked too goofy for my taste). Now, Phantom of the Mall wasn't at the top of my wish list. I'd sooner have seen Honeymoon Horror, Body Count, The Demon (the one with Cameron Mitchell), and The Night Brings Charlie - all of which I've enjoyed in other formats - but it's a slasher with a disfigured maniac, and it stars a hunky young Rob Estes, so there's that. The presence of Pauly Shore is not something I'm optimistic about either, but this is early in his career, so maybe he doesn't bring too much of his specific brand of comedy.

I will say that I am expecting something a bit lighter in tone than the early 80's slashers. This is the late 80's, after all.

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’m a bit curious about Phantom of the Mall. I remember the ad campaign when it was coming to theaters and at the time I thought it sounded cheesy and awful and didn’t want to see it. Today it sounds more like my cup of tea, but I doubt I’ll buy it sight unseen though.

5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I'm looking to order Phantom of the Mall. QUESTION: Is Diabolik the best site for US Arrow releases? Will Amazon or another site have the same thing but cheaper?

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Amazon doesn't typically have very good prices on Arrow blu-rays. I used to order from Amazon UK when the shipping rates were reasonable because they were generally quite a bit cheaper. If the release is a limited edition I order from Diabolik. If it is a standard edition I generally wait to see if I can get a good price from Ebay, Deepdiscount, or Amazon.

Cooperkill likes this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Bull Moose usually has competitive prices against Amazon, and free shipping when you spend more than $35.

Cooperkill and Katatonia like this.
  8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I generally order Arrow releases (and most new releases these days) from BM. They always get them in stock (no bullshit like Deep Discount), ships them well protected... and I usually receive them a day before the street date. You also get the "points" in your account which is nice.

I did already pre-order Phantom of the Mall from Diabolik though. I really love the movie, and you usually get them at least 2-3 weeks ahead of the release date.

Amazon are a bunch of idiots anymore with pre-orders. I pre-ordered Bugsy Malone several weeks ago, due to it being $13.99, and it won't even be here for at least 3 weeks after the release date. If it wasn't for that good price, I'd just get it from elsewhere.

Cooperkill likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

It would help if I read your post more closely :oops:, sorry for missing that you have yet to see Phantom of the Mall as well. Found an old trailer that didn't look bad. I agree 100% about preference of the earlier 80's genre films compared to the later 80's. Too many horror comedies and full-on spoofs from that era. Vinegar Syndrome's catalog features many of those already. A few years ago I bought a DVD bootleg of The Night Brings Charlie. It was better than expected and had a good twist to keep things interesting.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

No need to apologize! :cool:

To be fair, the early 80's had their share of horror spoofs - Pandemonium, Student Bodies, Wacko, National Lampoon's Class Reunion - and I'll be honest, I haven't seen any of these in their entirety. This brand of comedy simply doesn't work that well for me. What I meant was that from the mid 80's, there began to appear a lot of horror movies which are on the one hand earnest, but at the same time light in tone. Chopping Mall, Neon Maniacs, and Twice Dead are good examples. They are not comedic per se, but they are all about having a good, scary time. No depressing bleak tone a là Night of the Living Dead or The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. What I'm saying is: That's the kind of movie experience I am expecting from Phantom of the Mall.

I am not saying The Night Brings Charlie is an undiscovered classic. But I remember enjoying it and thinking at the time that I definitely wanted to revisit it should a superior presentation become available. The twist is a neat little variation on the formula, though it's still a bona fide slasher that feels like it could just as well have been made in the early 80's, featuring a killer that looks gnarly masked and unmasked.

satans-sadists likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ I once stayed the night at a Hampton Inn directly across the street from Bridges BBQ, which is the diner where Ramona works in Death Screams (House Of Death). I booked the hotel on my phone, so I didn't realize until I got to the parking lot and saw that instantly recognizable neon pig across the street. Pulled the movie up on YouTube just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I had already eaten dinner before I got to the hotel, but I went over and got a BLT there anyway just for an excuse to go inside.

Love this movie. Can't wait to get the blu-ray.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart