Are you a fan of pre 1970 horror?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm Personally a fan of all types or Horror films from the Silent films Up and to todays horror. I just can't get enough of it and think that every era of Horror had something to offer.

I find some fans though can't get into old horror films. and personally think they are really missing out. Come to think of it allot of the times those are the same fans that don't watch Foreign horror films or prefur there films in Pan and scan. Some horror fans though just can't into black and white movies as they find them to be slow or not graphic enouph.

How do you feel about the older horror films.

2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I love older horror flicks, Hammer films, Vincent Price flicks etc.. They're all are great and for the people that don't watch them... well they're the ones missing out. :banana:

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Good thread topic!! I see this as well. If you grew up watching them, they represent the first horror you'd ever seen, and hold good childhood memories. If you didn't see them when you were younger, I could see where the bad acting and effects can come across as hokey or as shlock. I can also see that silent films could be boring to a lot of people. I grew up taking in any scifi/horror/fantasy I could catch on tv (pre-vcr, the only place to get your fix, and you were at the mercy of the networks). This brings up another point; there are so many things to watch and take up your time now, that people's attention spans have become much shorter!!

4. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Personally i like older films better.Black and white are films are my favorite,There is an element there that is just not caught on todays movies.While i do enjoy today's stuff i will always prefer the 50"s-70's.There are some real gems out there that people overlook.

5. cgay

cgay Guest

I love Night of the Living Dead, and all of Roger Corman films with vincent price

6. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

I'm one of those that doesn't have a big interest in older movies... I'm born in mid 70's so I've grow-up watching the 80's horror movies (so Shannafey's theory seems to work with me). I have difficulties watching pre-70 movies... Maybe I should give them another try... Scream TV here in Canada are showing a lot of them... any suggestion of good old classic that I should absolutely see? ;)

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

My favorities pretty much are from 1973 and before. The 60's was brimming with the stuff, and much of it was quite nasty and meanspirited. The gore factor was pretty much Lewis, but exploitation flicks are going strong and I'd definitely rather sit through those than most stuff from the 80's onwards.

8. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Pre 1970, I'd only say Hammer films are of any interest to me.

9. satanservant

satanservant Guest

I'm twenty-seven and I grew up watching the original Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, and anything else with the old horror greats like Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney sr. and jr. I think it's sad that many younger people will not give these types of films a chance just because they are black and white. Hammer kicks ass! Corman kicks ass! Long live classic horror!

10. Maupin

Maupin Guest

I agree, Ash28M. All periods have something to offer. My favorite films are CREEPY films that evoke dread and until the recent Japanese ghost craze my favorites were mostly black and white (The Haunting is still my all time favorite). There are a few 70's and 80's movies but it wasn't until the 90's that things started to improve... for my tastes, anyway.

People who dismiss older films are missing out on a lot of good stuff. There are gems in every time period. In my opinion, fans who dismiss black and white or foreign films may or may not be horror fans... but aren't movie fans.

It really makes me curious to see what mixture of time period / location / genre future filmmakers will come up with. In a way it's sad that maybe there won't be anymore 70's Euro sleaze type of movies. Those movies have a great, unique flavor (try them, they're delicious). But something different will come along... something we may not even be able to predict.

All horror is good.

Except Howling 7.

11. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

I am mostly listening to classic Universal and Hammer horror movies, classic english horror like Dead Of Night too. Some good asian horror from the 60's as well.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I will admit that I'm more of fan of stuff after 1970, but I do like many films before then. It's also a matter of respect for me, too. Alot of those films are what opened the doors for the films of today, pushing the limits in gore, sleaze, etc. (It went even further in the 70's) I'll be the first to admit that alot of times I do notice the bad acting or set designs, but I can easily look past that if the film has an interesting story. I don't desciminate against any film until I see it, I might not have high hopes, but I won't label it shit until I see that it is shit. So I guess I'm not really a fan, but I'm genuinely curious.

13. I was raised on the Universal horror movies...

I love those and some of the creepier of the 1960's horror like Carnival of Souls and Nightmare Castle (which has been released under many other names).

14. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

I love the Universal monsters. Hammer is good too, but not quite my cup of tea for some reason. Vincent Price was the man. And William Castle (although most of his movies were monumentally cheezy) was a hell of a showman and a marketing genius, which makes his films (and everything that went with them) certainly noteworthy to those interested in film history.

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I like some, but not like I love 70s---> onward. My favorites almost all involve Vincent Price, Lon Chaney Jr, Bela Lugosi, and various haunted houses. They did haunted house tales up back then. Oh, and I really, really obsessively love Carnival of Souls.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2003
  16. Kippoe13

Kippoe13 Guest

Some of the older fantasy tv shows such as Twilight Zone and Outerlimits are brilliant in story telling maybe if we had more people being exposed to this type of media we would have better movies in the theater today. I mean no one compairs to what Hitchcock could do

17. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

The Hammer films and the Corman/Poe adaptations made the 60's for me. If it weren't for these, the 60's would've been quite lackluster horrorwise, IMHO! :(

R. I. P. :cool:

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There's great stuff pre-70's. Black and White films blow me away when they're well lit. Just seems much more dramatic that way, perhaps less distracting.

But I enjoy more than just the B&W silents and Universal classics. There's Roger Corman's Poe series and the works of Mario Bava and much more.

I use to watch Universal's all the time as a kid, my mom encouraged it infact and always knew what times they'd be on cable. I did miss the Hammer boat though, and I first came to know of them only a few years ago, and I don't think they're that great as people claim, but I still rather enjoy them.

19. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Im rarely affected by pre-NOTLD horror. I can only think of the original Invasion Of The Body Snachers and The Haunting that actually still work as drama and not as period curiosities.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't consider older films to be badly acted at all. I think older films especially ones made before the 60's had more theatrical acting to them. Actors were acting on stage long before films were ever invented and it was just a natural progression for the acting to be reminiscent of stage acting when film acting was still evolving. That’s what people where used to and actors brought up on. I don't think the acting was necessarily worse or better just different. I don't know this to be 100% true but that’s the way I’ve always seen it.