X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, Simon Kinberg) non-spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jun 6, 2019.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The Critics would have you believe that the longest running superhero franchise in history has gone out with a whimper rather than a bang. That may be true with the box office but is far from true for the quality of the film which was a wonderful and serious send off with this final core X-Men film from a series that has been a wonderful alternative to the homogenised MCU films that feel very interchangeable and even more disposable as they go. Where as the MCU have pushed the cheap comedy awkwardly against their more serious story lines, the X-Men have always walked the fine line much better with comedy (Deadpool aside, that is a different animal altogether) that does not lessen the impact of the story at hand.

This film however is probably the most sombre of them all and I found it rather refreshing in this market of poorly rendered bubblegum releases. I don't think the blockbuster masses will appreciate this one so much but as a fan of this series I got a lot of enjoyment. This is Fox's second crack at telling the Dark Phoenix saga, with the first attempt (X-Men: The Last Stand) being a rather stale effort from a director who did not have the chops. With the timeline being reset with the events of Days of Future Past, they get another crack at it and while not perfect, it is emotionally resonant and a very good film.

Long time X-Men writer/producer Simon Kinberg makes his directorial debut and does an excellent job with it being the first super hero film in a while where the effects (for the most part) look natural and have some weight to them. Also the performances are a notch above with Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones) anchoring the film with a lead performance better than I thought she was capable of and making this certainly the best female led superhero film we have had to date.

The production had some problems with the realisation that the finale of the film they shot had a similar ending to another superhero film that came out as they finished the shoot. So the third act was retooled in re-shoots, either way I am happy with the result and this is a fitting end to this run of the X-Men, soon to be rebooted by Disney and folded in to the MCU. All we have left is one final spinoff movie (The New Mutants) which has been on the shelf for over a year and will finally have the first of its reshoots soon before a 2020 release date.

7.5/10

russweiss likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this as well. It seems to be getting a rather large amount of hate but I found it well paced with good effects. I watch films like this for the action and effects. It provided both. I've seen all the X-Men films theatrically as well as own them and this one will be no exception.

thing likes this.
  3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yup this is the one superhero series I have all of in my collection

4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I thought these X-Men movies continued to get worse for the most part as they went along. X2 is probably still the standout in the whole series.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the whole pick a time period be it 60s, 70s, etc just to give the set and costume directors something fun to do. I'm going to see this new one eventually but I was curious and read the wiki. It doesn't sound like a good ending to the series. And the one thing you can't knock Marvel about is they are getting people consistently excited to see comic book movies. It's something DC and Fox doesn't seem to be able to get right. But Fox wasn't the best at it from the beginning when they had the X-Men joke about their costumes. I know it was a different time then. But still it came off as bad and a poor joke to me then. And DC just wants to play catch Marvel without putting in the work or even getting the characters right.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

The Fox X-men series are very inconsistent. Good then bad, then good then bad. lol I think my favorite of the series is probably Days of Future Past. First Class and Logan behind that. If we count the Deadpool movies, then I'd rank them up there too. Apocalypse was such a disappointment and that's a shame as I love that villain but the way he was portrayed in the movie, no thank you. As for Dark Phoenix, I thought it was better than X3, but still, it's hard to do the Phoenix storyline properly in a single movie. The animated 90s series did the storyline and it's still the best. But I'm not going to shit on DP though. For all it's problems, I did enjoy it. I'd probably rank it in the middle of the series. As for an ending to the Fox series, it's decent enough.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

My x universe rankings (my favourite super hero series/franchise)

1. Days of future Past (also my fave super hero film)
    2. Deadpool
    3. Deadpool 2
    4. X-Men (game changing film)
    5. First Class
    6. X2
    7. Dark Phoenix
    8. Apocalypse
    9. Logan
    10. The Last Stand
    11. The Wolverine
    12. X-Men Origins Wolverine

7. ImmortalSlasher

When I read the wiki, it seemed like Dark Phoenix ended on a cliffhanger and they want to make a sequel even though they won't get the chance to.

I would say Spider-Man was the game changer in that it showed the larger audience what could be done with CGI and superheroes. And then when Iron Man came out that was the real start and tease of potential with that credits scene. Those Dark Knight movies are ok but they are the realistic Batman. I never thought I was really watching the comic come to life like with the Marvel movies.

I still haven't seen Deadpool 1 or 2, The Wolverine, or Logan. I did see a part of the skydiving sequence in Deadpool 2 and thought it was hilarious. So I'm kind of looking forward to watching both of those. Not so sure about the Wolverine movies as even though he is ok in the movies. I think I prefer the comic and cartoon versions of the character.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Deadpool doesn’t really count as part of the X-Universe of the other films. Yes, The X-Men exist in Deadpool, but from what I understand they’re from a different chronology and supposed to be more like their comic book counterparts rather than the more reality based interpretations of the Bryan Singer directed/produced series.

And I’ve never liked their version of Wolverine. He’s too tall and hunky first of all. This romantic triangle between Jean, Scott, and him is just stupid. Back when I read the comics in the 70s-80s it was always just Scott and Jean. Logan may have been crushing on her but it was basically a creepy middle aged man hitting on a teenager dynamic. Nothing was ever going to happen between the two. That’s how I remember it anyways, but I’m sure they probably retconned it later on like they always do.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

X-men was the first film to take the subject matter seriously which is why i called it a gamechanger

10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

NO, not at all, this was made as a finale film, there was no cliffhanger whatsoever and the film didnt even have post credit teasers, cos guess what, it was the end of the franchise... i dont know what you read but its wrong

11. ImmortalSlasher

Not for me. There was Rocketeer, the 80s Flash Gordon, Batman 89, Dick Tracy, and perhaps others I'm forgetting. Reeve is still the best Superman. I think the Rocketeer movie is better than the comic. I still haven't read the original Flash Gordon or Dick Tracy comics though. And I'll take the 89 Batman over all the others right now. I think Kevin Smith said something like no shot in these new movies will top that Batman 89 Batwing shot.

I read this from wiki
    "In the aftermath of the incident, the school is renamed the Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters and Hank becomes their new dean; with Xavier having retired after decades of fighting for mutant rights. While settling himself in Paris, Xavier is reunited with Erik and reluctantly agrees to play a game of chess with him. As they start playing, a flaming phoenix appears in the sky."

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's totally not true at all. This was originally planned as a two part movie that would include the Skrulls, which is why the ending was re-shot as it seemed too similar to Captain Marvel.

13. maybrick

Skrulls? That makes zero sense in relation to the X-Men. If they were going to go with a shape shifting alien race it would definitely be The Brood.

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Logan #9 and behind Apocalypse?!!!!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::)

sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. Zombie Dude

I think the Alien race wasn't 100% confirmed, but Skrulls was what I heard getting mentioned the most.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This is also what I had heard.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I wish Logan had worked for me, it had all the pieces but just was not very good sorry

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

NO, that is not why the ending was reshot, they knew before they started shooting it was gonna be one film, the ending was reshot becuase it was too similar to another sypoer hero films ending with elements of cap marvel and civil war. The two film process was abandonded before they shot anything

19. Zombie Dude

I checked and you're right with some of what you say, but they were in pre-production when it was decided to make the two-part story into one movie. That's very late to decide that and would have definitely affected the quality of the story.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/dark-phoenix-two-movies-original-ending-1202148597/

thing likes this.
  20. maybrick

What the heck are you talking about? Pre production is literally any point before people are on the set. That is more than enough time to alter a script!