Wizard Video Collection

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Love the investigative work in that video! If only fans were so diligent about downloading sites.

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Heh…I already swapped out the original tape from the cut box and put it in the mint box in preparation of selling it on Ebay and flooding the market with fakes!!!! LoLz J/K @ selling on Ebay. But I know that was a big issue with some of these fag VHS collectors…always concerned about the box rather than the film itself. Whatever I got scammed.

If this vid was coming from someone other than Paul, I’d call bullshit, but to hear this affirmation of the boxes being reprints from someone THAT methodically well versed in the VHS format is truly disappointing. It would be one thing to say they are reprints and then try to sell them, but passing them off as originals when they aren’t is really a sleazeball move.

Now I really hope Meir Zarchi (or other current distribution rights owners of any of the titles Band is currently “re-releasing” (bootlegging)) does take legal action.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly fine with it being a fake. I like that it's pristine. Hopefully this info gets out and I can get a couple more on the cheap.

5. Chomp

Yeah, no problem with them being fake…I just have a problem with being deceived. It also makes the current price tag on these seem rather unjustifiable.

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Fuck Band and the VHS craze... Both need to go away.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't doubt they were bootlegs from the start. And don't kid yourselves, they don't own distribution rights to hardly any of those titles anymore. The problem isn't that it's a reproduction, the problem is that we were explicitly told they were original leftover stock.

I'll cut them some slack on that, Paramount still had the distribution rights for them at the time but just weren't printing them anymore. Finding "more" was a convenient work around for the time being.

This is different though, there's no reason to lie but to fool the buyers. Even the VHS tapes themselves were admittedly new. Since they didn't have distribution rights that's out and out illegal. The only people they're fooling are the fans dumb enough to fall for this rot.

8. Chomp

9. Mutilated Prey

10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

"Band’s claims are absolutely palatable. I chose to believe him. And either way, these big box Wizard’s are indeed a thing of bulky, garish beauty…"

Bull Shit!! Fangoria sure like to kiss Mr Band´s ass, as usual ;)

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Somebody should just carbon date the paper, case closed! :lol:

12. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

I am no legal eagle, but even though you may have the original boxes themselves after 30 years, it doesnt give you legal right to make VHS copies of films you no longer have license to. You can sell the boxes, I am sure thats all OK, but not the film content in any vidoe content? I am sure Criterion wount be happy about THE BEAST/EQUINOX, William Lustig for ZOMBIE and that dude who made I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE as well as Anchor Bay who has the current license on the film.

13. Chomp

I can't believe Band would still deny these are reprints...never mind the different style box/cardboard used, what about the faint sticker they forgot to completely Photoshop out? Quality issues will happen with print, not every box is going to be crisp, but there is no reason for that sticker to be in the boxart, unless it was scanned. That's probably the most damning evidence Paul was able to find.

14. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

You wrote exactly what I think about this. Those people couldn't care less about the movies they just want a box to fill a void in their cases to impress people and be sheep following the herd.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed, the entire retro trend is quite lame. I've never understood the fascination with it, whether it's VHS or Vinyl. I'd rather just seek out the originals.

And if this guy really did spend $500+ on reprints, it's his own fault...especially when he had the originals to begin with. It's not like Full Moon has never been caught reprinting things before. I must say though, that his evidence that these are indeed reprints is pretty damning.

16. Mutilated Prey

This kid live next to an airfield or something? While he apparently has way too much time on his hands, I'm promoting him to Gumshoe for his findings and explanations. He may get whacked by someone in the near future though.

17. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I don't care about VHS "big boxes" (they are kinda cool though) or archiving old video tapes but big props to vhs collector's investigative skills. His meticulous examination of the the creases in the wizards cape and the discovery of the logo from Return of the Zombies injudiciously being used for the other three tapes is superlative detective work! Oh yeah!

18. Chomp

Paul bought the re-release purposely for comparing them with the old releases to see if they were in fact reprints. He said he was going to do this awhile back on his site. I think The Headless Eyes was the only one he bought.

19. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Doesn't change the fact it's a lot of whining over nothing. They get what they wanted a VHS case to put in their wall case to show how they are hip, awesome and cool...

In fact only a fool would think it was true and when a fool got burn he get what he deserve. Whining on the net about that make it even funnier.

20. Chomp

LuLz WUT?