Why the Alamo Drafthouse is the greatest theater in the world.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mikey Horror, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

2. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Her mentality is exactly how I've imagined the mentality of every other moron that uses their cell phone in a movie theatre: stupid and ignorant.

I love how this wasn't just posted up by some random person, but posted by the Alamo Drafthouse themselves. Damn I wish we had one in Toronto :-(

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

HAHAHA!!!!!! :evil:

People with cellphones can definitely be some of the rudest assholes in the world. If they're not screaming worthless idiotic conversations that everyone within 50 feet can hear, they're checking their damn phone every 2 minutes. I also hate those annoying superloud custom ringtones, and nothing could be more geeky than the idiots who walk around talking in those "ear pieces".

4. Mikey Horror

Same here, I'd kill to have one around me. That's a theater I would gladly support. All theater owners bitch about is how On Demand is killing their business, no it isn't assholes, what's killing your business is the fact that I refuse go to a theater where people can talk, text and for christ's sake even play games on their phone during a movie I paid almost twenty dollars to see while theater management sits back and doesn't do a fucking thing to discourage such behavior due to what must be some overwhelming fear of confrontation. So don't blame the home entertainment market when you clearly don't posess the balls to tell people who aren't acting politely or accordingly to knock it the fuck off.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'd go to the movies once a week if this was a franchise. The theater in my area is always packed with customers like her.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As annoying as texting can be, I had someone pull out an iPad during Inception. It was brief but a huge WTF none the less.

Alamo Drafthouse has my vote as best in business. Calling them corporate is laughable.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

At the Midnight Madness screenings, Colin (the host) will sometimes say before a film that if anyone turns on their cell during a screening, for the person behind them to hit them in back of the head or something along those lines. Still not as cool as the Alamo in that respect, but there is definitely a shared, yet somewhat passive sentiment to discourage people from being tools at a screening.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

An ALAMO opened last year in Winchester ,Virginia,I haven't been to that one yet but am eager to try it out.I love the Retrofantasma screenings in Durham and the monthly exploitation screenings in Raleigh though,those are fantastic and the folks behind them really know their stuff.I have never felt so much like I was with TRUE horror fans (not the texting,tweeting boobs I run into at far too many multiplexes) than I have at the Carolina Theater.
    I hope to get out to The Alamo this summer.I followed the story of the origins of the original Alamo Drafthouse intently when it first opened up,seems like a horror/exploitation fan's paradise !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

People texting or talking on the phone in the theater should be shot on sight by snipers hidden in the room.

Even though I own a cellphone, I miss the days BEFORE the damn cellphone craze. ;)

10. blu

blu New Member

Reading a title like that I was prepared to disagree but after seeing that ad, nope... they are the best!

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I loved that video! Thanks for sharing!

12. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

That was awesome.

The Magnited States of America needs more theatres like the Drafthouse.

13. meljon

meljon New Member

I've lived in and around Austin TX my whole life and have been going to the drafthouse since back when it was a one screen theater off of 5th street. They have had different "no talking" ads for years and all of them have been really funny. It's a great theater where I've seen a ton of great movies like Torso, Monster Squad, American Psycho, Versus, and a bunch of others. The atmosphere is great, the food is good, and the beer is cold. Terror tuesdays and wierd wednesdays are the best and tickets are only a dollar to get in but the food and beer can get expensive. I recommend it to everyone.

14. Mikey Horror

Son of a bitch! If they don't branch out, I'm moving to Texas. All the theaters around me not only blow, but are the very reason I don't go to the theater anymore.

15. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    That was awesome! I can't tell you how many times I've almost gotten into a fight at a theatre. I don't hold back when someone opens a phone. Anyone who opens a phone in a theatre is a douchebag!

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

John Carpenter just shot an intro for a screening of THEY LIVE at the Drafthouse,it's up on youtube right now.

18. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I wish all the theater chains (including the one I work at) took a leaf out of the Drafthouse's book. I do agree that more people would go to the theater if everyone in the audience was good, didn't bring small children (because most of the time they either cry, ask weird questions or act up) and most importantly, don't bring their cell phones with them.

It's factors like texting, checking times on your cell phone, and rude people in general that turn people towards Netflix, Redbox, et al..

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Does anyone else have the pleasure of living close enough to an Alamo Draft House?? To say this is the best theater chain in the world, is a severe understatement.
    I never knew they existed till I moved to Texas. The 90 min drive I have is more than worth it for the films I've gotten a chance to catch on the big screen.

First off......their food and drink menu is excellent. Their no bullshit policy regarding cell phones is amazing. They don't fuck around..... if they see you even check your phone for 2 seconds, they're on you flies on shit.

I check their calendar frequently as they always show older flicks that you would never in a million years think someone would show on a big screen. Whether it's action flicks, kiddie movies, exploitation, horror......if it's got a cult following, no matter how little or big, they'll show it. The one I frequent in Houston has the following flicks showing in October (all their locations vary too, so this is just ONE location in particular)

Halloween
    House of Dracula (1945)
    Amy of Darkness
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial killer
    Shaun of the Dead
    Ghoulies
    Bad Moon
    Jurassic Park
    The Adams Family
    Waxwork DOUBLE feature
    The Crow
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Super Troopers
    Gremlins 2
    The Exorcist
    Nosferatu
    The Fly
    I Drink your Blood
    They got an event called "Dismember the Alamo" where they play 3 mystery horror films back to back to back. It's a gamble but I'm sure they show decent flicks

That's just one location!!!! Absolutely incredible. They even have FREE showings once and a while......I caught GOON for free last year. Amazing.
    So far I've caught Friday the 13th parts 4, 5, and 6. The Exorcist. Silent Night Deadly Night. And Christmas Vacation. They've always done giveaways, trivia, props...... I cannot give enough praise. Please do yourself a favor and catch a flick there some time.....even if it's a bit of a ride for you. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Colin and satans-sadists like this.
  20. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

We just had one open up at the end of last year, and it is amazing.

satans-sadists likes this.