Wes Craven's Shocker...What a piece of sh*t!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Peter Vincent, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Wasn't Shocker meant to be a TV series first?

Anyways, this is Craven at his worst (besides Hills Have Eyes 2).

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Yeah, Craven has made a mountain of poop - or which this was one. Earlier films were good, later ones.... not.

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've always avoided this one because of its rep. But since it's available on Shudder in HD, I gave it a shot. Wow. Awful. The villain gives a performance that would have to be considered lousy if he was a WWF guy masquerading as an actor. Knowing nothing of its history, I'm wondering if this flick was a victim of test screening alterations. The tone is all over the place, like they tried to morph it into something else after the first cut was done. AVOID.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Wow, tough crowd. This isn't top tier Craven, but it's still a whole lotta crazy fun!

I do prefer The Horror Show though.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've never understood how people can be so hard on 'hills have eyes 2', but ok with shocker.

The name really does sum the film up, but a more apt title would be 'fucking awful',

I hated it the first time I watched it but did revisit years later to see if my initial response was too harsh....no it wasn't I think second viewing I hated it more, this to me is the definition of lazy, shit it out for the money film making, it has no redeemable qualities.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Too be honest, the only Wes Craven movie that I REALLY like, and still enjoy, is A Nightmare on Elmstreet.
    Scream 1 is pretty fun as well, but the rest of his movies, I can live without.

Carpenter wipes the floor with this guy.

buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. sade

sade Active Member

I did enjoy it when it came out (good soundtrack too). I still consider it 10X better than Cursed, My Soul to Take or Vampire In Brooklyn.

fceurich39 likes this.
  8. shape22

I can understand arguing for this one as a Birdemic or Troll 2-type WTF? train wreck, but it's impossible to defend it as a horror film. There wasn't a mustache-twirling camera mugger in the entire silent era who gave as bad a performance as Mitch Pileggi. The post-execution body-hopping scene marked the point where I couldn't take anymore. EVERY actor who ends up portraying the killer seems to be trying to give an even WORSE performance than Pileggi. All of them adopt the most indefensibly fake limps and facial expressions that look like early motion-capture experiments gone wrong. Michael Murphy IS AN ALTMAN VETERAN--but he's positively howl-inducing in this one. You can tell that he was keenly aware of the reversal of his fortunes.

Peter Berg deserves some praise. Despite all of the incompetency around him, he escapes with his dignity. That's quite a feat under these circumstances.

Don't get me wrong. I firmly believe we all deserve the right to enjoy whatever crappy movies we find amusing. So speaking as a man who loves PIECES and ELVES, I support the God-given right to enjoy SHOCKER, too.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It's terrible, but kind of fun (like a lot of Craven's work). I remember leaving the theater thinking WHY???

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I remember the theater where I saw Shocker. And thinking the movie was terrible afterwards. But I don't remember the movie itself at all. Perhaps I should watch it again after all these years?

11. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I like Shocker, but I don't love it. I think there's a great movie in there somewhere, but it has too many ideas going on at once. You want to have someone travel through electricity? Cool. That could work on its own. Yet the whole body hopping scenario is a mess. The nearly 20-minute segment in the park is absolutely ridiculous. The dream connection is pretty dumb too. Yet I enjoy all the stuff regarding the love story, and how a ghost is trying to get the living to stay alive even when he doesn't want to survive anymore:

"If you stay here you'll die."
    "Then I die."

In all, it's sloppy but enjoyable for me.

dave13 likes this.
  12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Shocker is goofy as fuck but I'm glad I own it (dvd). Won't ever upgrade that's for sure. It's all over the place but I find it perfectly entertaining enough.

13. shape22

I agree that the movie COMPLETELY leaves the rails during this sequence. But the more I consider it, the more I think it's probably the best part of the movie (that I saw). It's stupid, but you could at least argue the humor is intentional there. I'm not sure it is, but it might be. If it is meant to be funny, it's actually kind of inspired. Sadly, I suspect it was meant to be serious. If nothing else, it confirms that the worst parts of the bad Elm Street sequels could have been worse.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

As a “master of horror” Wes Craven is strictly minor league. He has some bonafide classics under his belt, but he had way more misses than hits in his 40 year career. Shocker being one out of many. I saw it the first week it came to video and even then as a kid I thought it sucked. Haven’t bothered to see it since, but I think it’s on Shudder now so I might give it a shot one night I feel masochistic enough.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw Shocker in the theater as well but honestly can't even remember if I enjoyed it or not. Haven't seen it since.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've seen Shocker at least a couple of times and still can't remember it! All I know is I found it pretty boring and a bit of a chore to sit through. I generally don't like Craven's work though, outside of Elm St and the Scream movies.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Steel76 likes this.
  17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Deadly Blessing is the one Wes Craven movie that I want to see for the origin of the Nightmare on Elm Street bathtub scene. Looking over his wiki and directed movies, I too agree that Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and Scream 1 & 4 are probably my favorites. My Soul to Take was really bad.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member