We Summon the Darkness (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8058874/

Rated R for bloody violence, pervasive language, some drug use and sexual references

I'm surprised there's not a thread for this one yet, so here it is.

I would strongly advise NOT to view the trailer before seeing the film, because it will literally ruin the entire experience. I don't know why they chose to reveal and spoil everything in the trailer... but they did. Even the "Overview" on the Blu-ray/DVD releases has a key spoiler in it, so don't even read those first.

It's really not recommended to know too much about the film at all before viewing it... but I will try to do a brief synopsis without any spoilers:

The entire film takes place in 1988 focusing on three "Metalhead" teenage girlfriends heading to a Metal concert...soon to get mixed up with three "Metalhead" guys also attending the same concert. A beautiful 80's furnished mansion and Johnny Knoxville later appear. And that is seriously about all that needs to be known in advance of viewing the film.

Also, whether you are (or are not) a Christian... the film will probably piss you off early on until the plot begins to flesh out and certain things become known. The film is NOT really about "devil worship" though, I will say that. So if that brief description doesn't sound interesting, you probably will not like it. And if you do view the trailer first, prepare to be disappointed later.

I thankfully avoided both the trailer and the Blu-ray overview/synopsis, and was pleasantly surprised by this one. The film did piss me off at first, until the later plot twists when things started to gel together.

What other film would have a Mercyful Fate "Black Funeral" song, a Belinda Carlisle "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" song, and a T-Pau "Heart and Soul" song?

Yes, it gets bloody. No, there is no female nudity. Yes, the language is strong throughout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the Blu-ray itself, the A/V quality is excellent. The only features are a Featurette and an Audio Commentary with the Director and Writer. I found the Commentary quite informative, as there were a lot of further stories and such revealed, so if you do enjoy the movie it's well worth listening in on.

Steel76, fceurich39 and russweiss like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I got the blu-ray yesterday. I had to laugh, the back of the case lists like 20+ producers.

Fun movie. Not as good as The Babysitter, but better than Satanic Panic. I dig these kind of movies.

Apparently one of the guys is the brother of Taylor Swift?

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Yeah, tons of producers and different production companies. It is a good looking film though, and it was surprisingly shot in only 16 days. The cinematography and set design were really exceptional IMO.

Austin Swift (who plays Ivan, one of the three "Metalhead" guys) is Taylor Swift's brother.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

No Walmart stores got this in yet they do have a spot for it though shipments must be delayed. I did get the Hunt though.

Katatonia likes this.
  5. sinister

sinister Active Member

I'd skipped over this one but you just sold me right there, still have that album on vinyl from the 80's. Downloading now. :)

6. sinister

sinister Active Member

OK so watched it now.

It started well (some similarities to early shots from Texas Chainsaw Massacre I thought), but then got a little silly for my taste. Still fairly entertaining though and kept the pace up well enough. Maybe worth a watch but I definitely wouldn't be buying it.

7. Katatonia

It's definitely a film you shouldn't judge in the first half hour. The first half hour of the film will probably annoy or piss off most viewers to be honest... it's after that the real fun begins.

8. sinister

sinister Active Member

Strangely it was the first half hour I thought was the best part, where it's building to "something" but you're not sure what. Once the mayhem starts it takes a different tone and direction.

Similar to the recent "Come to Daddy" with Elijah Wood, I enjoyed the setup but not the pay-off.

9. Katatonia

Different strokes I guess. The first half hour pissed me off more than anything else, but then the later part of the film make me rethink that and see why it worked that way.

I did like the Heavy Metal Parking Lot set-up though...

I haven't seen Come to Daddy, but the trailer for it is actually on this Blu-ray. It looks pretty entertaining to say the least.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

My Walmart had this out finally this morning so I snagged a copy will watch this weekend.

11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw something about this movie somewhere. I put it on my list. That actress who was in one of the Channel Zero seasons as well as one of those Horror Fest movies is in it. Either Blood Fest or Hell Fest, I can't remember which. Both were interesting setup movies but not worth owning in the end. But she's on the right side of the cover. Hopefully this movie will be good. She is a pretty good actress and seems to have a good horror run going.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Hell Fest girl was probably the least interesting of the three. Maddie Hasson stole the show, as far as I'm concerned.

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I agree with sinister that I really liked the set-up, but once the twist is revealed, there is a bit of a lull in the movie where characters are either tied to chairs or simply hiding in a pantry for a significant chunk of the movie. It does pick back up towards the end, but that middle chunk was the weakest.

13. Katatonia

Maddie Hasson was my favorite in the film also. Great character, and she ad libbed a lot of memorable lines that weren't in the script.

...and she isn't even on the damn cover.

14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

They probably put the two known horror actresses on the cover to sell the movie.

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I didn’t see the trailer, so went in blind, and I was entertained thoughout the entire movie. I kinda expected it to be a bit supernatural, but glad it didn’t.
    Cool to hear some Mercyful Fate on the soundtrack.

Katatonia likes this.