Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wow. This is one of those super eerie coincidences.

I watched Double Exposure on Friday night, and as I mentioned, it reminded me of the 70s TV show Police Story.
    Police Story airs Saturday night on the H&I Network. Who guest starred in one of last night's episodes? Michael Callan and Joanne Pettet, the stars of Double Exposure.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yet another mini-review (FYI, there will be a LOT of these coming. I bought 20+ discs at the recent sale and haven't gotten to half of them)

Satan's Slave - Sort of a confusing title as there are two other recent releases with the same title, both Indonesian films I believe. This is a British film, by Norman J. Warren, director of other VS titles Prey and Terror (also Bloody New Year, but I haven't seen that one). Of those three films, Satan's Slave is the least interesting. It's VERY talky, and without the heavy atmosphere and dread had this been a Hammer production. There's a couple of violent scenes near the end, but not quite as operatic as Terror (which I highly recommend). There's a fair bit of nudity, but nothing quite as hot as the Glory Annen sex scene in Prey (also recommended). I'll wanna give this one another viewing sometime down the road (full disclosure, I started getting bored and checking my phone about 50 minutes in) maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So what's everyone guesses on the titles going to up for pre order tomorrow? I think like 7 titles will be up for pre order. Will be an expensive day. :eek: I hope they will have some options, break up with groups. And not just individual sales and 1 group package for all 7. For people that don't like all of the films.

Black Friday Flash Pre Order Sale 10:00am EST. 25th

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM
  4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

VSU update (from the VinSyn subscribers email that was sent out this morning):

"VSU... You've probably been wondering what in the hell it means. We've seen some pretty wild and creative guesses but in anticipation of our Black Friday 2020 Flash Pre-order, coming this Friday, we think we need to kill the rumors and unveil the truth.

VSU = Vinegar Syndrome Ultra... as in UHD. Each VSU release will be an extra special edition UHD/Blu-ray combo pack, beginning with an internationally beloved early 80s, genre-bending classic.

So you might be asking yourself "why another sub-label or spin-off?" Well, similar to VSA, these releases will not have a set frequency or yearly quantity. They'll happen as they happen. We have a couple more that we're working on, but no set plans for when they'll drop. However, just as significant, these titles might not 100% gel with the 'deeper cuts' and 'trashier' offerings many VS devotees expect and demand.

We want VSU to be a home for future RAD type titles. We saw an unexpected amount of diversity in responses to that release, ranging from excitement, to confusion, to disappointment., And we get it. Over our 8 years, VS has morphed and evolved to satisfy audience demands, while also trying to stay true to our original intention of being a home for genre films of all types (as long as they were shot on film) that were at the risk of being overlooked, forgotten, and lost, or that we simply decided needed love that they wouldn't get elsewhere. But not every film is for everyone. VSU titles are not, for the most part, going to be focused on sex and violence, which is not to say they won't include it. They're not necessarily going to be 'art' films or 'mainstream' movies either, but instead films that straddle and bend those lines a bit more than what's come to be expected with VS titles.

For subscribers (Yearly and those who picked up a Halfway package), the inaugural VSU release WILL BE INCLUDED in your subscription (and no matter what you thought of RD, the pedigree(s) on this one should have you smiling from ear-to-ear). Future VSU titles, whenever they might emerge, will not be included in future packages but subscribers will receive exclusive discount codes (as with VSA) if they choose to pick any up."

f.ramses likes this.
  5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Combo packs, nice! I hate it when labels just do UHD on it's own.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

But if I've got the UHD I'm unlikely to ever watch the bluray, so what's the point?

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm guessing for people who aren't UHD yet, but know they will be eventually?

You buy the combo pack now and watch the Blu, but when you inevitably upgrade to UHD there's no need to rebuy. VS have gone away from their Blu Ray/DVD combo packs, and that's upset some people who don't have Blu-Ray yet (apparently there's some) because they intend on doing the same thing.

russweiss, Zombie Dude and f.ramses like this.
  8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

For me it’s like Paff said where you have the UHD for later if you haven’t gone UHD yet but BD/DVD combo packs are fairly common so it would be nice to see this trend continue with UHD/BD packs. It’s also lame when labels release a BD and then later release a UHD because if you already have a UHD setup and buy the BD and then the UHD you’ve spent a bit more than you would had they just done a combo pack in the first place; just look at Synapse with Suspiria and Blue Underground with Zombie.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Lol, I HATE the ones that include a dvd version. That makes even less sense to me as bluray's generally a lot more affordable now, as are the players. If they want to stick with dvd fine, but don't give bluray buyers a useless dvd they are never going to use. I know I've never touched any of the dvd versions in any of my combo packs.

It makes more sense for blu/UHD and I guess it helps with UHD sales so it's probably a good thing atm now that I think about it.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I like combo packs. It's not like they take up any extra space.

Also, after reading stories of some of the early LionsGate and Fox releases becoming unplayable over time, it's kind of assuring to have a backup copy just in case.

Natas likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

They're probably good at the start of a new format, even a few years in; but why would I want a dvd copy of a film I'm buying on bluray in 2020?

russweiss likes this.
  12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The current thought process, as I understand it, is that there are cost savings in manufacturing a single product that supports both Blu-Ray and DVD vs. separate products for each.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020 at 5:18 AM
    russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. Zombie Dude

I guess that makes sense but with only about five dvd editions in my collection after upgrading all the titles I wanted, I wonder why bother? These people keeping the dvd market alive, I can't imagine would be into boutique labels and content anyway.

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Vinyl records are still being produced and that's a much older format. I agree with what you said about the blu/dvd combo packs. I've never watched a dvd instead of the blu-ray but zbinks is no doubt correct in the cost savings of a single release rather than two separate ones.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I dig the combo packs as well. Mainly because I enjoy watching DVDs on my projector. I've hooked the blu ray up to it but the screen size is super small compared to the dvd player.

16. MorallySound

[​IMG]

VSU unveiled! And what a fucking surprise it is!!

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/beastmaster

NOTE #1: Subscribers (Yearly and Halfway), you will be receiving this release as part of your subscription. There is no need to place an order!

NOTE #2: As with RAD, this pre-order listing for THE BEASTMASTER will be kept up until Black Friday (November 27th). This weekend only, the price has been discounted to $36.99. Starting Monday, the price will be slightly higher.

We are beyond excited to introduce you to Vinegar Syndrome Ultra, a new Vinegar Syndrome sub-label focused exclusively on extravagant UHD/Blu releases of ‘major’ 80s and 90s titles that might not always fit into the regular VS milieu (although the first one definitely does!).

For the first VSU release, we’re unleashing the worldwide UHD and North American Blu-ray debut of acclaimed genre filmmaker Don Coscarelli’s 1982 supernatural/fantasy/action blockbuster, THE BEASTMASTER, presented in a brand new 4K restoration, along with an exclusive, multi-part, feature length making-of documentary, 40 page bound book, and a stunning new case designed by Earl Kess.

Quote from director Don Coscarelli:
    I am happy to report that Vinegar Syndrome has embarked on a meticulous restoration of my film The Beastmaster that it has always deserved. Vinegar Syndrome has done commendable legwork and tracked down a pristine printing element, a high quality Interpositive, in the Warner Bros. vaults. VS has also assembled a plethora of fascinating new supplemental materials that I cannot wait to share with fans. I am so excited that finally The Beastmaster will be released on 4k Ultra HD and Blu-ray in North America.

When he was a baby, Dar (Marc Singer, TV’s ‘V’) was cursed by an all-powerful wizard named Maax (Rip Torn, Men in Black) to prevent him from rightfully ascending as the leader of his people. But the curse left him with a unique gift: the ability to telepathically communicate with all forms of animal life. But when Maax all but wipes out his tribe leaving Dar to fend for himself, he begins a quest of vengeance, accompanied by his animal friends, to Maax and end his reign of terror and violence.

Directed by legendary genre filmmaker Don Coscarelli (Phantasm, Bubba Ho-Tep) and co-starring Tanya Roberts (Sheena), John Amos (Coming to America), and Rod Loomis (Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure), THE BEASTMASTER is a thrilling mix of fantasy, action, and adventure, with touches of horror. Photographed by Academy Award winning cinematographer John Alcott (Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange) and featuring incredible production design by Conrad Angone, Vinegar Syndrome Ultra brings THE BEASTMASTER to UHD and Blu-ray in a brand new 4K restoration!

Directed by: Don Coscarelli
    Starring: Marc Singer, Rip Torn, Tanya Roberts, John Amos, Rod Loomis
    1982 / 118 min / 1.85:1 / English 5.1

Additional info:
    • Region Free 4k Ultra HD / Blu-ray combo
    • Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm interpositive
    • 4k UHD presented in HDR
    • Limited edition VSU magnet clasp hard case containing a Slipcover and a 40-page bound book
    • Newly produced multi-part feature length making-of documentary
    • Select extras ported over from previous DVD releases
    • Additional extras to be announced
    • Reversible Blu-ray sleeve cover artwork
    • English SDH subtitles

And don’t forget!By pre-ordering these now, your package will be first to ship (afterour subscribers) following our Black Friday sale: November 27th- November 30th!

17. MorallySound

[​IMG]

And the rest of the Black Friday pre-orders:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/everything-black-friday-flash-pre-order

NOTE: Subscribers (Yearly and Halfway), you will be receiving ALL of these as part of your subscription. There is no need to place an order!

This is the package you’ve been waiting for; the biggest and among the best of the year...and it’s finally time to reveal some (but not all) of its secrets!

You’ve hopefully already explored the listing for our very first VSU release, Don Coscarelli’s THE BEASTMASTER, but that’s only a fifth of what you’ve got coming!

Next up, the world Blu-ray premier of Vernon Zimmerman’s cinephile slasher classic, FADE TO BLACK, newly restored in 4K from long believed lost pre-print elements and packed with exciting extras!

Last, for now, is our long anticipated second Giallo collection, this time featuring a trio of never on Blu and long OOP on DVD early 70s, all Italian, slasher-esque gialli, headlined by Ferdinando Merighi’s impressively sleazy and gory FRENCH SEX MURDERS, presented in its never-on-disc French version (restored from the camera negative!), which includes extensive extra nudity that’s only ever been available in low grade VHS rips. Then Tonino Valerii’s satisfyingly violent MY DEAR KILLER, in a new 4K restoration of its original negative, and lastly a rare example of a giallo directed in Italy - by an American, with William L. Rose’s ultra trashy THE GIRL IN ROOM 2A, presented in its extended Italian cut newly restored from its original negative!

But that’s not even close to being all as there’s two more titles which we’re not gonna tell you about…perhaps even the best two…the surprise titles, both of which are 80s horror must haves and include our much speculated on 3D release along with an incredible supernatural slasher. We can basically guarantee that you're not gonna be disappointed…

The package includes (all region free):
    • THE BEASTMASTER
    • FADE TO BLACK
    • GIALLO BOX
    • And the two secret surprise horror releases

And don’t forget! By pre-ordering these now, your package will be first to ship (after our subscribers) following our Black Friday sale: November 27th - November 30th!

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Beastmaster's great and all, but... FADE TO BLACK!!!

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Beastmaster has been pre ordered. Done deal. No interest in the UHD, and don’t plan on getting a 4K set ever or at least until my present plasma dies. And even then it won’t interest me if there isn’t a 3D capable model available.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Beastmaster!!! Wow, we were just talking about this in another thread a while ago.

Mutilated Prey and gobad2003 like this.