Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

July release.

Hellmaster (1992)

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Just looking at IMDB, it's a low scorer! Apparently their was a director's cut produced in 2006, anyone seen it here? What's it like? I remember seeing it in HMV the awful cheaply produced sleeve always put me off picking it up.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I've seen the AIP released VHS, and the movie wasn't good... But it definitely seemed re-edited by the distributor, which made it extra clunky. So I'll still check it out when it's re-issued by VS (since I'll be getting it anyway as a yearly subscriber) in it's original cut titled Them - which also differs from the 2006 Director's Cut apparently.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've never seen it, but it's Action International Pictures, and pretty much everything they've released is certifiably bonkers. See Elves, for example.

With Arrow doing Trapped Alive and Savage Lust, I'm excited to see some of these AIP titles hitting the hi-def format. So I'm in (but like MorallySound, I'm a yearly subscriber, so I'm already in no matter what).

Also, I'm game for some Michigan horror.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't remember much. But I do remember is that it's a very dark movie. And by dark I mean the lighting. Lot's of dark rooms, hallways, etc... seriously almost the entire film. VS has their work cut out for them. But I'm sure they will make it look real good.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

The May 2019 package is up. One of the four titles is Mountaintop Motel Massacre, while the other three are mysteries (two are horror movies, while the third is something else):

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/vinegar-syndrome/products/may-2019-package

Man, I don't mind the mystery title aspect, but they could have given us a little more to go on. Like what decades the movies are from. Didn't they recently acquire some 90's titles?

baggio, Katatonia and zbinks like this.
  8. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

One title will be revealed before the end of April, and I'm guessing that it will be Satan's Slave. It was moved from April because, I believe, the scan was taking longer than expected.

9. CPT HOOK

It would be disappointing if Satan's Slave was used as a Surprise Title, since we all know it's coming.

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

I love Mountaintop Motel Massacre, a fun movie that brings me back to my youth watching all sorts of crazy horror movies. I don't want the package but I assume I will be able to pick it up individually soon! (Hopefully they offer the original cover, the cover they show on the website is pretty weak. Hopefully it is just a slip and the blu will have the original or reversible cover.)

gunner likes this.
  11. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Mountaintop Motel is a creepy as hell movie with detailed sets. Excited to see this in Vinegar Syndrome quality! But they're giving no details or screenshots for this non-secret release. Games!! Maybe after they reveal the 2nd non-secret title.
    Added: MMM is sure to include the original artwork on the flipside.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I love Mountaintop Motel Massacre, so it's great news that VS got a hold of it.

I have the 88 Films Blu-ray already, but that one has a weird "echo" effect with the audio track that I could never really fully remove with my receiver settings.

baggio, gobad2003 and gunner like this.
  13. CPT HOOK

14. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

15. CPT HOOK

No dice.

From the VS newsletter:
    Also, be rest assured that the cringe-worthy US photo poster isn't going to be gracing either side of the sleeve... instead Earl Kessler has utilized two gorgeous paintings for the art, along with a newly designed slipcover!

wago70 likes this.
  16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://vinsyn.campayn.com/web_vers...f0a7ba3cf41/Stakmail/195519/2299393/431087204

It seems very likely that Satan's Slave will be the title that gets announced at the end of the month, and I'm thinking Horror High might be the "charming regional gore classic". I have no idea what the other film might be, but they did mention on Facebook that even hinting at the genre "might give it away".

17. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

They're so tricky. I guess that's a good thing. I suspect you'll be able to purchase mom & pop video store original art separately. At least, I hope. The modern paintings would have to be gold key comics worthy for me to like it. They know their customers prefer original art. And they've stated that the 1/2 way to black Friday sale would be the virgin offering of original style artwork slipcovers-only for titles that didn't have a slip cover or cover art many disliked (really hoping for Christmas Evil, did Earl Kessler do that artwork?).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Taken from The Official Vinegar Syndrome Fan Group:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I believe the first is international VHS art and the second is the original theatrical art.

19. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I assumed Satan's Slave would be the title being revealed this month, but upon reading the newsletter I'm not so sure. As it was already on their slate, there's really no surprise surrounding it. If SS were a May title, I think it would have been revealed in place of MMM, and the latter would then be one of the surprises, as it wasn't previously on the schedule.

My take on 'regional' means here in the US, which excludes Slaughter High.

We'll find out soon enough...

20. CPT HOOK

Vestron already released Slaughter High on blu-ray.