Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Student Bodies and Pandemonium but I know that nostalgia colors my impressions of both since I watched them repeatedly as a kid/teen. I tried watching Wacko on Amazon Prime last year and didn't get very far. I'll try again with the VS release but I don't think it will ever entertain me the same way. I need to try Class Reunion as well - never seen that one.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw Pandemonium sometime within the last ten years for the first time since the 80s and I didn't care for it. I have to say that there isn't a single entry in the early 80s slasher spoof genre that I find funny. I don't know what it is but they all seem to miss the mark by a mile. None of them have even half of the laughs of a genuine slasher entry like Sleepaway Camp does.

chancetx and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I probably last saw Pandemonium around the same time as you, maybrick, and still found some bits enjoyable if not as hilarious as I found them when I was younger. I imagine at least part of the problem with those 80s slasher spoofs is that the people making them really didn't have any affection for the genre they were parodying and tried to keep the comedy broader for more mass appeal. Even the makers of a lot of slashers didn't really care for them and were just in it for the paycheck; I'm sure the spoofs were even more a case of just trying to cash in on a trend.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Hysterical (1983) get a blu-ray release. Probably the least known out of the bunch of "funny" 80's horror movies.

Not ashamed to admit I like the film. It's very cult, very stupid, but funny to me.

loutoad23 likes this.
  6. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

I gotta see this!

I have a weird completionism with 80s slasher parodies, no matter how bad.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

God I remember that, saw that in the 80's can't remember anything about it, but I do remember enjoying it.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I watched A Climax of Blue Power with my dad last night, expecting it to be a gritty, erotic thriller. I was quite embarrassed when it turned out to be a full-fledged adult movie. That said, the story is engaging, and the acting is generally quite good. It might have been a tighter movie if it trimmed the interlude in the brothel and the scene of the protagonist watching a dirty movie and devoted that time to fleshing out the narrative further. As it is, though, it’s pretty interesting. Cool fact: The very heterosexual protagonist is played by the same dude who played the gay hustler in Love Me Deadly.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You watched a movie called "A Climax of Blue Power" and was surprised it was an adult film? Sorry, that's on you.

It was like when a friend of mine moved to a new unfamiliar neighborhood and stopped into the nearest bar. He was there a while before finding out (gasp!) it was a gay bar. I asked him what the name of it was, and he told me, "Ramrods". Same thing as your movie, I think the name kinda gives away what it is...

baggio and chancetx like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read the first sentence of that and was like, say whaaaaaaa?

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Lol, even if you thought it was only an erotic thriller it seems like an odd choice to watch with a parent. Maybe that's just me. Anyway, that is funny as hell.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

It's Denmark. We're quite liberal. I was expecting there to be sex scenes, but I was not expecting them to be quite so graphic and quite so long. There was an interesting story going on, and those scenes just made me impatient for the movie to get back to the plot.

Anyway, it's an odd movie. Basically, the protagonist is a scumbag and a rapist. Dramatically speaking, it makes sense to have some graphic content. It's just that the scenes are played in a way as to be titillating, which is quite at odds with the fact that the situations portrayed are generally quite traumatic. I mean, who gets off on watching a rape scene?

Btw., Paff, I can see why your friend might have been mildly embarrassed about missing the obvious, but other than that, nothing to get worked up over. I was mildly embarrassed to have misjudged the content of the movie, but nothing I'll lose any sleep over. My dad and I had a good laugh about it, and that was it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    russweiss likes this.
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It's was even out on DVD. But unfortunately it's oop.

What's so crazy is these guys(Hudson Brothers) were singers and they had a "variety' show like Sonny & Cher in the 70's. This movie was the only movie they were in. I guess from the variety show, they were able to pull some strings and put this movie out.

I'm embarrassed to say that I quote lines from this movie to friends that have seen this all the time. Forbid if I/we see a person with huge eyebrows, I'm already dying.

A longer trailer:

Erick H., loutoad23 and Katatonia like this.
  15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I actually have the OOP Image DVD too. :D I bought it for about $10 years ago when it was still in print. It's one of those annoying cardboard Snapper cases like Warner used to use.

baggio likes this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Hudson Brothers member/brother Bill Hudson is the biological father of actress Kate Hudson ,though she considers Kurt Russell to be her real "father".

loutoad23 and baggio like this.
  18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

x666x and Mutilated Prey like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Bloody New Year was a blind buy from Vinegar Syndrome for me. I enjoyed it. Can't say that about every VS blind buy. As far as I'm concerned, Vinegar Syndrome has released some films much worse than Bloody New Year.