Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Some people are reporting that The Fly collection is at some Walmarts for $39.96, Now there's a price I can live with if I can find it.

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well you watch it for the cool set pieces, creepy atmosphere and Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne of course ;)

I also really like In The Mouth Of Madness. Has a real unsettling vibe to it too.

Possession I saw once about ten years ago and it didn't work for me at the time. Felt odd like an arthouse film with lots of screaming and yelling. I would be curious to check it out again now and see if it works better for me.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

It has a few really unsettling, Jacob's Ladder style visual moments. Its not that good of a film, but there are similarities in execution.

Mostly its a lot of WTF surreal allegory about infidelity, identity, and disintegrating relationships. Supposedly, as its so far out there its tough to tell what's real, what behavior is supposed to be considered normal, and exactly what the hell the doppelganger is supposed to be.

I've watched it twice, will probably do so again. Mostly for the experience, not for any attempt to make more sense of it. I ignore the art house aspect, and just consider it somewhere between Jacob's Ladder and Xtro and Eraserhead as a literal surreal horror presentation.

Zombie Dude and ImmortalSlasher like this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I like In the Mouth of Madness a lot. It has that small town mystery thing that usually works for me.

I'll check out Xtro. I saw an image from the movie somewhere once.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Jacob's Ladder is another I need to re-visit actually. I don't think I was old enough to really get the themes when I watched that one.

I think I'll add Possession onto my list of films I need to re-visit.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched the DVD last night and it still holds up, fun movie. I then played the movie with commentary, The only footage that they mentioned that differs to the released version was the rape scene between babyface and the girlfriend was shown and apparently it got quite graphic, they confirmed that it definitely was filmed but as I said they didn't mention any other missing footage.

So it definitely exists or existed and from the sounds of it they had a version of the movie edited together with this (and what ever else is missing) included.

Really is a missed opportunity from Scream, really really poor in my opinion. And people may say here maybe they tried and couldn't get the footage. Well fine but come out and tell us that, let us understand what you tried to achieve. As it is it's just a very poor situation by an increasing lazy company.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I purchased the rerelease for My Bloody Valentine which came with two slipcovers when it was first made available. Amazon recently had a good price on the movie so I purchased a second copy to use with the extra slipcover I had. It arrived today and I was very surprised that it came with it's own slipcover. I checked Shout's website and it doesn't appear that you can order a slipcover version from them any longer.

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

The one I got from Target came with a slipcover too - where it’s already in shrink wrap . I just figured they all did, and if you wanted the extra slip and poster for extra cash through Shout! you could until they sold out.

10. Zombie Dude

The fact that Shout didn't even address the UNCUT version tells me they didn't even bother to look.

I think I've actually only ever seen the film once and can't remember much. I just really like the Babyface mask (which I even have a replica of).

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

You are probably right which highlights my lazy comment from the previous post.

I'm so with you on the mask, it's absolutely fantastic, it really has a gnarly menacing feel. How's the replica? It is as good as the film prop?

12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

More reviews for The Deer Hunter 4K Collector's Edition:
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Deer-Hunter-4K-Blu-ray/263121/#Review
    https://highdefdiscnews.com/2020/06/16/the-deer-hunter-4k-uhd-blu-ray-review/

DVDBeaver review/comparison for Earth Vs. The Spider:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_127/earth_vs_the_spider_blu-ray.htm

And another review for Kiss of The Vampire:
    https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/83455/thekissofthevampire.html

DVDBeaver review for Captive Wild Woman (found in the Universal Horror Collection Volume 5):
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_127/captive_wild_woman_blu-ray.htm

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamFactoryDVD/posts/1890050511131951

14. Nailwraps

Extras for Phantom of The Opera '62 revealed:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-phantom-of-the-opera-collector-s-edition?product_id=7418

"Bonus Features
    • NEW 2K Scan From The Interpositive – Two Aspect Ratios 1.85:1 And 1.66:1
    • NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historians Troy Howarth And Nathaniel Thompson
    • NEW The Men Who Made Hammer: Anthony Hinds
    • NEW Phantom Triumphant: Edwin Astley And Hammer's Horror Opera – An Interview With Author David Huckvale
    • NEW Herbert Lom: The Soul Behind The Mask – An Interview With Film Historian/Screenwriter/Novelist C. Courtney Joyner
    • NEW Interview With Special Effects Artist Brian Johnson
    • "The Making Of Phantom Of The Opera" – Narrated By Edward De Souza Plus Interviews With Richard Golen, Alan Lavender And Edward De Souza
    • The Longer TV Version (In Standard Definition)
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Still Gallery"

As are the extras for Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell (still no indication if both cuts are included):

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/frankenstein-and-the-monster-from-hell?product_id=7365

"Bonus Features
    • NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historian/Author Steve Haberman And Film Historian/Filmmaker Constantine Nasr
    • NEW The Men Who Made Hammer: Roy Skeggs
    • Audio Commentary With Actress Madeline Smith, Actor David Prowse, And Film Historian Jonathan Sothcott
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Radio Spots"

15. Zombie Dude

Yeah I definitely think Shout takes a lazy approach with some of their releases. Following this one I'm not sure they'd even done enough research to know about the extra footage. I don't recall them ever bringing it up.

Yeah the mask is definitely dope. Love that bone jaw. I took a picture of it last night (I don't actually have it on me as I have no room to show it off where I live at the moment), but I don't know how to share it. The size to upload pictures here is a measly 1MB and I'm not in the know for any good, free image hosting sites. :(

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Shame man, would love to have seen it. But yeah I'm in same position. I tried to upload a picture before and gave up. Wouldn't know we're to start with hosting sites, for me it seems like a lot of agro just to put maybe 1 or 2 pictures up per year.

17. Zombie Dude

Ok, we're in luck. Found a simple site to get this working.

Here's my Babyface mask:
    [​IMG]

fceurich39, Colin, buck135 and 2 others like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

That's ace. A faithful representation of the movie mask.

19. Nailwraps

fceurich39 likes this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That's too bad, and a little bit of BS, but from what I've gathered Hammer is difficult to deal with. Add that to the pandemic and Shout probably just said "fuckit" and used whatever Paramount had.