Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It makes no difference to me if they go OOP because a lot of their titles (or at the very least the ones that I care about) are still readily available in better editions for a lot less through Arrow, Eureka, or 88 Films in the UK.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Not unless you want a domestic release, just saying.

That said, extras for Silver Bullet have been announced!:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/silver-bullet-collector-s-edition

"NEW Audio Commentary With Producer Martha De Laurentiis
    • NEW Cutting To The Bone – An Interview With Editor Daniel Loewenthal
    • NEW A Little Private Justice – An Interview With Actor Kent Broadhurst
    • The Wolf Within – An Interview With Actor Everett McGill
    • Full Moon Fever – The Effects Of Silver Bullet – An Interview With Special Effects Artists Matthew Mungle And Michael McCracken
    • Audio Commentary With Director Daniel Attias
    • Isolated Score Selections And Audio Interview With Composer Jay Chattaway
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spot
    • Radio Spot
    • Still Gallery"

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I would need a better reason to want a domestic release than to simply have a domestic release. If it’s the only one that’s available then okay, but for many of Scream Factory’s titles they’re not.

I really wasn’t speaking for anybody other than myself in my prior post.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Some of the titles are worth getting. I grabbed Dead of Winter and Invaders From Mars because they were cheap and the SF edition of Dead of Winter outdoes the 88 Films release in the UK. 88 outdid SF with their edition of Swamp Thing though, so it going OOP isn’t that big a deal.

They’re certainly not the best studio when it comes to encoding their blu-rays, that’s for sure. They’ve gotten a lot better in recent years with their new 4K scans but it’s hard to beat Arrow’s encoding. If there’s a SF and Arrow with the same transfer, you can count on the Arrow to have better compression.

~Matt

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

$4 off (for $5 off total): EegahSpecial$5

Looks like MovieZyng is The Film Detective's inhouse estore so you are buying direct from them: https://www.moviezyng.com/810017886692.aspx?microstoreID=4

I've cut way back on DVD/Blu-ray purchases so I was trying to resist but for some reason I cracked and put in an order. It is a fun movie and in the back of my mind I kept thinking "order it... Order It... ORDER IT!"

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Jebus. I bought some movies from their "Shocktober" sale (Candyman, Ghost Stories, Pyewacket if you're curious), they were delivered yesterday, now every 10 minutes I get a "Rate your experience" spam E-mail from Shout.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Damn lucky I put my name on the blob last month. my record store is getting 5 copies all reserved luckily I'm 1st in line to secure a copy next week.

buck135 and Katatonia like this.
  9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Reviewer makes an epic title drop fail - when discussing great remakes, he mentions David Cronenberg’s...The Fog.

Now that's a forehead slapping, "should have read it through again before hitting submit" moment.

For my own part, I'll probably get the disk. But I'm reluctant given it wasn't that long ago I picked up the Twilight Time disk, which was pretty solid. Seems of late that double dips are way too frequent, for marginal presentation improvements and extras I'll probably not watch anyway.

At least this is for a film that isn't easily available (although the Twilight Time disk didn't exactly sell out immediately). Not like the several times I've updated The Thing.

x666x, Zombie Dude and satans-sadists like this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll get The Blob, but typical cheap Paff will wait for the inevitable sale. I only just got Candyman when SF had it down to $18.99 on their site.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Private School is such a terrible movie. You can see exactly what it was: they did "market research" of what people wanted to see in a teen sex comedy, and they just threw in every element whether it made sense or not. I mean, yeah, it's a teen sex comedy, they weren't going after an Oscar. But movies like Fast Times, Last American Virgin, Valley Girl all have staying power due to having heart, serious elements that teens could relate to in addition to the comedy, and didn't insult their audience by pandering to what they thought they wanted to see. Along with memorable soundtracks. All Private School has is Phoebe Cates (and don't get me wrong, 80s Phoebe Cates is damn near enough reason to watch a movie from her presence alone) and topless Betsy Russell. Which is also nice. But you can pretty much get everything you want from Private School with an unfiltered Google Image search without needing to buy an overpriced Shout Factory SE.

14. Nailwraps

Details for Dracula 79!

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/dracula-collector-s-edition?product_id=7228

"DISC ONE: DESATURATED COLOR TIMING

NEW Introduction By Director John Badham
    NEW King Of My Kind – An Interview With John Badham
    NEW What Sad Music – An Interview With Writer W.D. Richter
    NEW Dracula’s Guest – An Interview With Camera Assistant Jim Alloway
    NEW Interview With Editor John Bloom
    NEW Interview With Make-Up Artist Peter Robb-King
    NEW Interview With Hair Stylist Colin Jamison
    NEW Interview With Assistant Director Anthony Waye
    NEW Interview With Production Manager Hugh Harlow
    Audio Commentary With Director John Badham
    The Revamping Of Dracula Featurette

DISC TWO: ORIGINAL THEATRICAL COLOR TIMING

NEW 4K Scan Of The Best Available Original Film Elements
    NEW Introduction By Director John Badham
    NEW Audio Commentary By Film Historian/Filmmaker Constantine Nasr
    Theatrical Trailer
    Radio Spots
    Still Gallery"

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised to receive The Blob and Private School in the mail today. Neither street until Tuesday.

loutoad23, Matt89 and fceurich39 like this.
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to pick up The Blob.

~Matt

loutoad23 and fceurich39 like this.
  17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Same here got my copy coming soon.

Matt89 likes this.
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. Nailwraps

Everyone settle down, I got a lot of extras news to report.

First, it's Big Trouble In Little China:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25920

"
    DISC ONE
    • NEW Audio Commentary with producer Larry Franco
    • NEW Audio Commentary with special effects artist Steve Johnson, moderated by filmmaker Anthony C. Ferrante
    • Audio Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
    • Isolated Score
    • Theatrical Trailers
    • TV Spots
    • Vintage Audio Interview with John Carpenter
    • Electronic Press Kit - interviews and profiles
    • Gag Reel
    • Music Video
    • Deleted and Extended Scenes
    • Extended Ending
    • Photo Galleries – movie stills, posters and lobby cards, publicity photos and behind-the-scenes photos
    DISC TWO
    • NEW You're the Hero – an interview with actor Dennis Dun
    • NEW The Soul of Lo Pan – an interview with actor James Hong
    • NEW Able to Be Myself – an interview with actor Donald Li
    • NEW The Tao of Thunder – an interview with actor Carter Wong
    • NEW The Tao of Rain– an interview with actor Peter Kwong
    • NEW The Hatchet Man Speaks – an interview with actor Al Leong
    • NEW Damn Wiley Prescott – an interview with writer W.D. Richter
    • NEW It Was A Western Ghost Story – an interview with writer Gary Goldman
    • NEW The Poetry of Motion – an interview with associate producer/martial arts choreographer James Lew
    • NEW Into the Mystic Night – an interview with The Coupe De Ville's member Nick Castle
    • NEW Since We Were Kids – an interview with second unit director/The Coupe De Ville's member Tommy Lee Wallace
    • NEW Love and Art – a conversation with movie poster artist Drew Struzan
    • Return to Little China – an interview with director John Carpenter
    • Being Jack Burton - an interview with actor Kurt Russell
    • Carpenter and I – an interview with director of photography Dean Cundey
    • Producing Big Trouble – an interview with producer Larry Franco
    • Staging Big Trouble - an interview with stuntman Jeff Imada
    • Interview with visual effects artist Richard Edlund
    • Vintage Featurette
    Limited Edition Steelbook and Exclusive Lithograph + Vinyl
    • Big Trouble In Little China [Limited Edition Steelbook] 2-disc Blu-ray set
    • An exclusive 28.5" x 16.5" rolled lithograph of the new Steelbook artwork by Nat Marsh
    • A 7" on exclusive green vinyl via Sacred Bones featuring music from Big Trouble in Little China composed by John Carpenter and recorded by John, Cody Carpenter, and Daniel Davies. The A-side includes the 2017 version of the main theme, "Porkchop Express (Big Trouble in Little China)," and the B-side contains a never-before-released recording of "The Alley War," recorded by the trio in 2019. Our green vinyl variant is a limited edition of 2,500 copies and is housed in a lavish slipcase with new art by frequent Carpenter collaborator Chris Bilheimer.
    Collector's Edition and Exclusive Poster (18"x 24") + Vinyl
    • Big Trouble In Little China [Collector's Edition] 2-disc Blu-ray set (with slipcover)
    • An exclusive 18" x 24" rolled poster of the new Collector's Edition artwork by Laz Marquez
    • A 7" on exclusive green vinyl via Sacred Bones featuring music from Big Trouble in Little China composed by John Carpenter and recorded by John, Cody Carpenter, and Daniel Davies. The A-side includes the 2017 version of the main theme, "Porkchop Express (Big Trouble in Little China)," and the B-side contains a never-before-released recording of "The Alley War," recorded by the trio in 2019. Our green vinyl variant is a limited edition of 2,500 copies and is housed in a lavish slipcase with new art by frequent Carpenter collaborator Chris Bilheimer.
    Collector's Edition and Limited Edition Steelbook + Exclusive Poster + Lithograph + Vinyl
    • Big Trouble In Little China [Collector's Edition] 2-disc Blu-ray set (with slipcover)
    • Big Trouble In Little China [Limited Edition Steelbook] 2-disc Blu-ray set
    • An exclusive 18" x 24" rolled poster of the new Collector's Edition artwork by Laz Marquez
    • An exclusive 28.5" x 16.5" rolled lithograph of the new Steelbook artwork by Nat Marsh
    • A 7" on exclusive green vinyl via Sacred Bones featuring music from Big Trouble in Little China composed by John Carpenter and recorded by John, Cody Carpenter, and Daniel Davies. The A-side includes the 2017 version of the main theme, "Porkchop Express (Big Trouble in Little China)," and the B-side contains a never-before-released recording of "The Alley War," recorded by the trio in 2019. Our green vinyl variant is a limited edition of 2,500 copies and is housed in a lavish slipcase with new art by frequent Carpenter collaborator Chris Bilheimer."

The Anne Bancroft Collection

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25929

"BOX SET CONTENT:

Don't Bother to Knock (1952)

Synopsis: Pilot Jed Towers (Richard Widmark) encounters the beautiful Nell Forbes (Marilyn Monroe) while staying at a hotel in New York City. Jed pursues Nell, initially thinking she's a woman of means, but comes to learn that she is actually a babysitter when her child charge, Bunny Jones (Donna Corcoran), interrupts a conversation between the two. Soon Jed becomes worried about Nell's mental stability when it appears the woman is physically threatening Bunny.

Special Features:
    • Isolated Music Score (DTS-HD Mono)
    • Theatrical Trailer
    The Miracle Worker (1962)

Synopsis: Blind and deaf after suffering a terrible fever as a baby, young Helen Keller (Patty Duke) has spent years unable to communicate, leaving her frustrated and occasionally violent. As a last chance before she is institutionalized, her parents (Inga Swenson, Andrew Prine) contact a school for the blind, which sends half-blind Annie Sullivan (Anne Bancroft) to teach Helen. Helen is initially resistant, but Annie gradually forms a bond with her and shows Helen ways of reaching others.

The Pumpkin Eater (1964)

Synopsis: Harold Pinter pens this 'portrait of a bad marriage' drama based on the novel by Penelope Mortimer. Despite her unwillingness to stop having children, Jo Armitage (Anne Bancroft), a thrice-married mother of several children by different fathers, is not exactly cut out for motherhood. Inflicting her existing brood on her third husband, screenwriter Jake (Peter Finch), does little to cement their marriage, and Jake's serial infidelities eventually lead a depressed and isolated Jo to a complete breakdown.

Special Features:
    • "Jeremy Mortimer on Penelope Mortimer"
    • "Dinah and Fergus"
    The Graduate (1967)

Synopsis: Shy Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) returns home from college with an uncertain future. Then the wife of his father's business partner, the sexy Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), seduces him, and the affair only deepens his confusion. That is, until he meets the girl of his dreams (Katherine Ross). But there's one problem: She's Mrs. Robinson's daughter!

Special Features:
    • Audio Commentary From 2007 Featuring Director Mike Nichols In Conversation With Filmmaker Steven Soderbergh
    • Audio Commentary From 1987 Featuring Film Scholar Howard Suber
    • Interview From 2015 With Actor Dustin Hoffman
    • Conversation From 2015 Between Producer Lawrence Turman And Screenwriter Buck Henry
    • Interview With Film Writer And Historian Bobbie O'Steen About Editor Sam O'Steen's Work On The Graduate
    • Students Of The Graduate, A Short Documentary From 2007 On The Film's Influence
    • The Graduate At 25, A 1992 Featurette On The Making Of The Film Featuring Interviews With Actors Dustin Hoffman And Katharine Ross, Producer Lawrence Turman, And Screenwriter Buck Henry
    • Interview With Mike Nichols By Barbara Walters, From A 1966 Episode Of NBC's Today Show
    • Excerpt From A 1970 Appearance By Singer-Songwriter Paul Simon On The Dick Cavett Show
    • Screen Tests: Tony Bill And Jennifer Leak, Robert Lipton And Cathy Carpenter, Dustin Hoffman And Katharine Ross
    • Trailer
    Fatso (1980)

Synopsis: This boisterous, heartwarming comedy about a man caught between his health, his self-esteem and his appetite, highlights DeLuise's genius for blending pathos and comedy. Bancroft's deft direction brings to uproarious life the joys and struggles of our relationship with food.

All his life, Dominic DiNapoli (DeLuise) has found comfort in food. But when his sister Antoinette (Bancroft) implores him to stop eating himself into an early grave, Dominic begins bouncing from crash diets to the support group "Chubby Checkers" to all manner of binges in between. In the end, Dominic discovers that what he needs most is a steady diet of love — from his family, from a new and lovely neighborhood acquaintance … and most importantly, from himself.

Special Features:
    • Looking Back On Fatso With Producers Stuart Cornfeld And Mel Brooks
    • Interview With Film Historian Maya Montañez Smukler
    • Image Gallery
    • Press Kit
    To Be or Not to Be (1983)

Synopsis: Frederick Bronski (Mel Brooks) and his adulterous wife, Anna (Anne Bancroft), are a pair of hammy actors running a low-rent theater in Warsaw, Poland. When the Nazis invade, the Bronskis find their theater becoming a makeshift refuge for local Jews and a gateway to the Polish underground. Using their limited acting skills, the members of the theater troupe attempt to deceive the Nazis and lead an escape. Meanwhile, a Polish pilot (Tim Matheson) thinks he has found a spy in England.

Special Features:
    • "Brooks and Bancroft: A Perfect Pair"
    • "How Serious Can Mel Brooks Really Get?"
    • Profiles
    • To Be Or Not To Be: That Is The Trivia!
    • Mel Brooks Trailers
    • Trailers
    • Isolated Score Track (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)
    Agnes of God (1985)

Synopsis: Dr. Martha Livingston (Jane Fonda) is a court-appointed psychiatrist sent to evaluate Sister Agnes (Meg Tilly), a young nun whose infant has been found strangled. With Agnes claiming a virgin conception and having no memory of giving birth, Livingston must distinguish between the lies and the nun's perception-altering faith. Complicating her investigation, Livingston continually clashes with the overbearing Mother Miriam Ruth (Anne Bancroft), who insists that Livingston leave Agnes alone.

84 Charing Cross Road (1987)

Synopsis: New York City bibliophile Helene Hanff (Anne Bancroft) writes to the London bookshop Marks & Co in search of some titles she has not been able to turn up locally. Store manager Frank Doel (Anthony Hopkins) responds politely to her chatty letter, and over the course of two decades, a deep, long-distance friendship evolves. Based on Hanff's epistolary memoir and its later two-person stage adaptation, the film version incorporates new characters, including Doel's wife, Nora (Judi Dench)."

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25925

"NEW Becoming Sister Hyde – An Interview With Actress Martine Beswick
    • NEW Audio Commentary With Author/Film Historian Bruce G. Hallenbeck
    • Ladykiller: Inside Dr. Jekyll And Sister Hyde
    • Audio Commentary With Martine Beswick, Director Roy Ward Baker, Writer Brian Clemens, Moderated By Hammer Film Historian Marcus Hearn
    • Radio Spots
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Optional English subtitles for the main feature"

The Abominable Snowman of The Himalayas:

https://www.facebook.com/dvdnewsflash/posts/2542018065864642

"Please Note: usable film elements of the complete film no longer exist; approximately five minutes of the film have been upconverted to high definition from a standard definition source.

* NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker/Film Historian Ted Newsom...
    * NEW In Search Of The Yeti – An Interview With Author/Film Historian Jonathan Rigby
    * Audio Commentary With Director Val Guest And Screenwriter Nigel Kneale
    * TRAILERS FROM HELL With Commentary By Filmmaker Joe Dante
    * World Of Hammer: Peter Cushing
    * Theatrical Trailer
    * Still Gallery"

To The Devil...A Daughter:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/to-the-devil-a-daughter?product_id=7255

"NEW Audio Commentary With Author/Film Historian Steve Haberman And Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr
    • Dark Arts: Inside To The Devil…A Daughter
    • To The Devil – The Death Of Hammer
    • Theatrical Trailer"

And finally, Murders in the Rue Morgue:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/murders-in-the-rue-morgue?product_id=7257

"NEW Audio Commentary By Author/Film Historian Gregory William Mank
    • NEW Audio Commentary By Author/Film Historian Gary D. Rhodes
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Still Gallery"

Katatonia likes this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

We were speculating we might be getting something extra with Murders in the Rue Morgue since it's such a short film but two commentaries isn't exactly filling the disc. ;)

Looking forward to Gary Rhodes's commentary though. He always has great info.