Underworld: Blood Wars

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Who knows what "reboot" really means here, but:

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Damn they skipped right over REMAKING movies from the 90's and just jumped right into the current.
    Fake as hell (meaning: I realize the REMAKE is a reality but I really hate that Hollywood doesn't let anything have a
    legacy anymore and just cater to...whatever the F they think is...? Oh, F. I give up on Hollywood current crap).

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Why reboot a still successful series? Awakening wasn't great, but it was far from franchise killingly bad!

$5 says it will be PG-13 this time, make it $500! I see no other reason to reboot it, than to look for teen money some bean-counting asshole thinks they missed on the first time by being R. I'm pre-inclined to pass!

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I liked the lower key tone of Awakening, but there was a hint of "cashing in" on Kate Beckinsale's part. She was too cool for school to be in Rise of the Lycans but then settled to be in Awakening. So I say good, "reboot" it. I hope all that means is different characters rather than recasting old ones.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

How would Kate have fit into RISE, tho? It was a story about Lucian.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I don't understand this news. The series isn't amazing but it has its fun. Why they think rebooting it is a good idea is beyond me. It's also why I hate it when these movies have open endings :mad:

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It wouldn't have been if she was willing to be in it. My impression, wrong as I may be, is that she thought it was beneath her to be in any more of those films, so they decided to do a prequel about one of the other characters. Rhona Mitra was clearly cast because she is a dead ringer which furthers my suspicion.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Hm. Agreed on the casting but I think that was more for audiences than a result of Beckinsale's disinterest:

And Beckinsale was involved in RISE, wasn't she? I thought she did voiceover for it. :confused:

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The fourth film was the highest grossing, I believe, which makes this even stranger news.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Shortly after the first film's success I'm sure she meant it, but once she got popular I think she thought she was too good for it. Also Len Wiseman wasn't the director for Rise and I'm sure that played into her vested interest. And speaking of Len Wiseman, I'm not one to pass judgement, but it's hard not to when the story of them getting together is so fucking heartless. That may be where my slanted impression of Kate Beckinsale's motives originate.

I'm glad Michael Sheen has an arguably better career and is banging Sarah Silverman now! :cool:

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Wasn't "Rise" set in a time, before Kate's character was born?

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

You guys are assuming they planned to do an origin story for Lucien rather than Selene from the beginning. I am saying I think that they would have done Selene's origin story (which they make reference to) had Beckinsale been on board. Not only that but the way Evolution left off, I doubt they would have bothered with an origin story at all if they could have gotten her for part 3.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Mok, you're working backwards from your (unsupported) assumption.

"Kate Beckinsale didn't want to be in any more of these movies, so they made a prequel that didn't involve her."

When, in fact, a prequel was planned, she said she'd like to be involved in the prequel and was, but the story didn't involve her character (so she served as narrator). Then, when the story did involve her, she was again involved, this time in the lead role for the fourth film.

Her husband wrote RISE, so he was integral to the film's development.

Kate's involvement revolved around how much of her character would be involved. When they decided to focus more on Lucian, she wasn't as involved. I think it's a lot simpler than you are making it.

Harry Warden likes this.
  14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

How does any of what you quoted prove me wrong? In fact it almost confirms what I'm saying.

In 2003 there was an idea to do a prequel after part 2.
    They do part 2.
    In 2006 (after part 2 is completed) decide part 3 is about Lucien's character and aren't sure about Kate Beckinsale being in it.

I don't think Len Wiseman would do an interview and say, "Well, Kate Beckinsale wants to do other kinds of movies after part 2 so part 3 is going to be about Lucien!" It sounds better to say it was all planned that way from the beginning.

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Again, you're working backwards from an assumption w/o any support, which means it's all conjecture. "Kate Beckinsale isn't in the third film, so she didn't want to do it." There is no merit here. Everyone else involved is saying the opposite, including Kate!

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Occam's Razor: the plot doesn't involve Selene, so the actor who plays Selene isn't onscreen.

Your assertion: Despite saying she wanted to do it, despite her husband being heavily involved in both the script/plot and production, Kate isn't in it because she didn't want to be in it. (When, in fact, she lends her voice to it to tie it to the other films where her character is involved!)

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

She can't flat out say, "I dont want to be in it," as its her husband's franchise (even if he also took a step back from being directly involved). I dont think im being unreasonable based on face value alone. Maybe it seems like Im willfully going against the current of reason to make my assumption, but no more than, say, purposely doing a prequel that doesnt have the franchise-leading character in the starring role? What would occams razor say about that? Huh? HUH? ;)

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

That it's what the writer/producer wanted to do, and the films make enough money for the studio to let him do just that? :D

I mean, are you suggesting that Kate Beckinsale, who is married to the writer/producer, didn't want to be in the film and kept her feelings somehow secret from her husband? Do you see how far down the rabbit hole you are going, Mok? :glasses:

And he WROTE and produced the film--that's pretty directly involved!

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

No i think they pillow talked about her career and decided the next film she wouldn't star in so it would be about a different character so she could be off the hook.

You can't believe everything that is presented in front of you. Its all posturing and PR to keep the ship afloat.

20. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Oh good lord.. all I can see is some guy with a cigar yelling. "No wait... We gotta bring in a bunch of teen vampires and put in something about zombies!!"