Underwater - Now In Theaters

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Somewhere on these boards recently, I mentioned how when a movie is shelved for a few years (Cabin In The Woods, Trick 'r Treat, All The Boys Love Mandy Lane), that's typically a seal of approval for me. That trend continues with 2017's, um, I mean 2020's Underwater. I had a lot of fun with it! This is perfect January big-screen popcorn entertainment.

It's maybe a little lite on the character stuff, but this movie is already moving within the first 5 minutes and doesn't quit until the end. Not without flaws, it gets a little repetitive and some of the underwater scenes are difficult to tell what's going on, but for the most part, it does its best to deliver a big screen rollercoaster.

Don't be scared off by the PG-13 rating, it never feels like a PG-13 movie. In fact, it's a bit bloodier than I was expecting.
    People explode!
    TJ Miller is slightly obnoxious as the comic relief, but everyone else is extremely likable. Effects are really impressive, budget is listed as $80 million. It's much more fun than the last few films of this ilk (Life, Alien: Covenant, etc).

Unfortunately, it seems to be tanking. $7 million opening weekend on an $80 million budget. Disappointing. See it while you can, it's fun!

Steel76, fceurich39 and Zombie Dude like this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This one didn't do anything for me. Even at only 90 minutes it felt really long. Miller's character seemed to be written as a Dead Pool rip off. I kept thinking of Ryan Reynolds whenever he spoke. I do agree that it was more violent than I was expecting. The film may have done better had they promoted it as a prequel to Pacific Rim.