The Suicide Squad 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by russweiss, Aug 8, 2021.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any post for this so figured I'd start one.

This film is a lot of fun. I believe it will appeal to most people on this site. A lot of extreme violence, some decent humor, and love her or hate her Margot Robbie is fantastic as Harley Quinn. The film takes a little twist in the final third. Even at 2 hours 12 minutes I didn't find myself getting board. There is a scene after the credits which most viewers missed.

There was a trailer for The Batman which isn't coming out until sometime next year and they had a red band trailer for Don't Breathe 2 but I didn't notice anything more than I've seen in the standard trailer.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Anaestheus and buck135 like this.
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Fun is the word I would use to describe the film. I haven't enjoyed watching a movie this much in years.

russweiss likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

A 212 minute superhero movie?!?

JFC, I'd die.

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Imdb says 2 hours 12 mins. Much different than 212 minutes.

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I also thought it was a lot of fun. It's definitely a huge improvement over the first attempt. And there certainly are a lot of surprises. The violence and gore is quite excessive and welcome. The characters are interesting and fun and overall both the wit and spectacle are really enjoyable. The only complaint I have would be that it didn't quite "pop" the way Guardians of the Galaxy (for the Gunn comparison) or Shazam (for the DC comparison) did. At times the action felt a bit chaotic or messy, particularly during the middle act, when I think it really should have slowed down a bit to give us a some more character time because these are some really neat characters. And, while Robbie still owns Harley Quinn, I definitely wish she had more screen time and interactions with the other characters in the Squad. Still it's definitely a grand time at the cinema (or couch, I guess) and it's really nice to see DC take some more risks that are paying off.

buck135, Zombie Dude and russweiss like this.
  6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'll admit that my biggest disappointment was that I didn't see a trailer for Dune. I was really hoping to see that on the big screen.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I didn't expect it to be THIS wonderfully violent and gory.
    Lots of laugh out loud moments.

buck135 and hots4 like this.
  8. russweiss

Yes, that was a mistake. It was 2 hours and 12 minutes.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I loved it, so much fun. This is how you do super heroes. Marvel can go fuck itself.

My only complaint......I wish the shark had more screentine I laughed pretty much every time stallone said anything.

Great fun.

Zombie Dude, buck135 and russweiss like this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I never got the hype for Suicide Squad. The movie or the comics. I'll see it eventually but I'm still behind on a few DC movies. Maybe after whatever they do with the next Flash and Batman movies will get me into DC movies.

11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I decided to watch The Suicide Squad after reading a story about the upcoming Batman movie. First, I hate how they attempted to sell this movie early on. They should have titled it something different. It's feels like a sequel. And it's not a true reboot. Also, it seems like DC basically thought the director of The Suicide Squad would be able to do Guardians of the Galaxy for them.

The Suicide Squad is an entertaining movie. However, it's very violent. And mean spirited in many scenes. Almost right from the start. There are some extremely dark moments and it's disturbing at times with the main bad guy. But if you are a horror fan wait for those scenes. They are like something out of the darkest sci-fi / horror movies.

Idris Elba always gives a strong performance and he's good in this as well. Harley Quinn's character is far darker than I've ever seen in the comics and cartoons. But I guess it fits with DC movie Harley. She's still a funny character though. There is one character that is getting a spinoff and I don't know why. I'm not interested in that character at all.

I know the main bad guy from a few comics and a really good Batman Beyond two parter. I do wish that some of the Justice League showed up as this is their thing. A line discounted one of them. Even then that one line doesn't give a time period. Plus it doesn't discount the others. Nor a character they included in the Snyder Cut although that's not official. But still, it's just another example of bad development of the DC Universe.

Too bad we still don't have this virus under control. The final scene deserves to be seen on the big screen. I'll probably watch it again just for that one day when I get a really good home setup. But it's not a movie I want to own or re-watch completely. It is better than the first one though. But that wasn't a real difficult task to accomplish.

russweiss likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Watched the film. It was fun(like everyone has been saying). James Gunn obviously heavy influenced throughout. Rated R, plenty of violence. Very entertaining. Good performances. You can't find a bad review. Nor can you find anyone that says the first SS was better. I read so many "list" reviews , listing all the ways the newest SS blew away the first movie.

Well, I'll be that "guy". This movie didn't blow away the first movie. It was just "better" all around, as a popcorn summer film. Better directed overall, was rated R, etc... Which gives it an edge, ...if that's what makes a film better. Gore and laughter. If that's all you need than fine. If you like your villain's like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man, than yep. This movie is better.

Here's what the original imho had over the 2021 SS film. The original was cool. This was corny. There I said it. Again, that alone doesn't make the original great by any means. It's just a huge(imho) factor. Original SS was cool. Deadpool was cool. Even Guardian's of the Galaxy(Gunn) was cool. There was not one character in 20121 SS I took seriously.(maybe I wasn't supposed to?) The original, the characters were cool and bad ass. With an better all around film/direction, maybe people would have taken noticed more imo.

If the main point(even in the comics) is to laugh at all the "super heroes". If the point was that all the characters are supposed to get mocked, even in their deaths. Then I stand corrected. 2021 SS, blew away the original SS and they stayed true to comics.

One review I read went on, and on, and on, about character development in the new vs the old. Saying the old had nothing. And you didn't know anything about any character. Really? Maybe he should watch the first one again. Same guy, said the music sucked in the first. Really?, watch the first one again. Sounds like he was just making things up to over exaggerate how much he liked the new film.

P.S. - Not sure if this help/hurt my analysis of both films...but I re watched the original 2 weeks prior. It was my second viewing since the debut in the theaters. So it was fresh on my mind.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    russweiss likes this.
  13. sade

sade Active Member

Come on James, you couldn't give Lloyd Kaufman a one liner? he was on the screen for like 1/4 sec.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I missed him. What scene was he in?

15. russweiss

I've seen the original SS twice as well and may be in the minority but I really enjoyed it and thought it was a good film. I still found the new version more entertaining. Sure, it was corny but it made me laugh and I'm not sure how serious we're supposed to take these characters anyway. Michael Rooker's portrayal was the most disappointing. Not for the acting but for the character.

baggio likes this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Guess I'm in that same minority. I liked the original SS. And I liked the 2021 SS too. But I just don't see all the dislike for the original. I mean, excuse me...hate. People absolutely hate the first one.

Same here. Rooker's character. I'm not familiar with the comic, but it was like.. what am I'm supposed to do with this(as a viewer) And about the seriousness. That's what I was pointing out. Is the comic book like that? Are these guys supposed to be corny or jokey? Is that why the first SS, people didn't like. The heroes were too bad ass? Ha. Will Smith's Deadshot vs Bloodsport?... for me. Deadshot all day.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The thing about Rooker, was that we expected him to play the usual badass.
    But instead we got a pussy, that ran away. That was the twist and the joke, and I found it to be hilarious.

Zombie Dude and buck135 like this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It was indeed really funny and unexpected. It definitely caught me off guard and I enjoyed that about it.

I really like aspects of the first SS movie but the edit was atrocious. I'd love to see the Ayer cut which can only be better. The soundtrack was really wrong for the movie too. Apparently the original edit had an original score with no pop songs so it would really feel tonally different from that aspect alone. Just look at the original Comic Con leaked trailer to see how different the tone feels.

baggio, buck135 and Steel76 like this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So basically. If the original changed the music score. It would have went up a few notches at the very least.

If it did. The new SS, would be even more corny.

20. sade

sade Active Member

Right when they entered that bar/club.

baggio likes this.