The Rental - July 24th, 2020 (IFC Midnight)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 4, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Opening in theaters and VOD July 24

Directed by: Dave Franco
    Starring: Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Sheila Vand, Jeremy Allen White, Toby Huss

Two couples on an oceanside getaway grow suspicious that the host of their seemingly perfect rental house may be spying on them. Before long, what should have been a celebratory weekend trip turns into something far more sinister, as well-kept secrets are exposed and the four old friends come to see each other in a whole new light.

2. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be fun!

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Stopped at the shower scene. Looks good, it's on my list now.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Good looking trailer. Definitely looks like it'll be worth a watch.

5. CPT HOOK

Rented The Rental last night (see what I did there?). It's not a bad watch, definitely held my interest, but it's nothing you haven't seen before. Everyone in the movie is pretty unlikable except Allison Brie's character. The movie was co-written by Joe Swanberg, and definitely feels like one of his movies (a small group of hipster-ish friends in a single location). So if you've seen his movies like Digging For Fire, Drinking Buddies, etc, that's basically the first 45 minutes of this movie, except with some sinister overtones. From there, the thriller aspects come into play for the next half-hour or so, before going full-on slasher movie in the final 15 minutes.

It's IFC Midnight, so I imagine it will be on Hulu in a few months. If you like slow-burn indies like Entrance (also IFC Midnight), it's worth a look.

6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed by this, even though I went in with resevered expectations. The first act of this film is a complete chore to sit through, with the horror elements far too much subdued - consisting of things like "the dog is acting kind of weird" and "the guy who rents the place out is an asshole and somewhat suspicious" - and it really tested my patience. When we finally get to the action is zipped by far too quickly and the next thing you know it's over. I don't mind a slow burn, but when the tension is mostly absence and you have nothing but melodrama to fall back on I can't say it was worth the while. I think Dave Franco has a bright future as a director - horror or otherwise - but he needs to stear clear from Swanberg if he wants to grow.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I did recently watch a Chris Stuckman review for this and he was left very underwhelmed. Sounds like the film is rather boring and not the suspenseful mystery at a beach house that the trailer seemed to promise. Probably not going to bother with this one now.

8. ImmortalSlasher

I haven't seen the movie yet. But these guys just posted a review. Many times their horror and other reviews are more entertaining than the actual movie. They have a bunch of horror reviews. At times, I'll go back or search to find a review for a laugh. That sequel to The Boy review was a funny one even though I have no interest in watching that movie.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Walmart will have the DVD in stores Tues DEC 1 for 9.96 no bluray in stores though. Bestbuy might.

10. CPT HOOK

My blu-ray shipped yesterday from Target. Used one of the B2G1 promos, so it was super cheap. I think next week's Smiley Face Killers is one of the others I got with it.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Thought it was OK last 20 minutes was fun but the rest just men I still liked it better than the last IFC release I watch called Relic.

12. ImmortalSlasher

The Rental is on demand so I checked it out.

I have mixed feelings about The Rental. On one hand, it does have a good title as the movie is worth a rental. I wouldn't own it. But at times the movie is pretty good. It's better than the Friday the 13th remake. And at parts I thought it was going to be better than the original Friday the 13th. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the original Friday the 13th, I like Part 2 far more. Besides Part 2 has basically the best parts of Friday the 13th at the beginning.

Why I mention Friday the 13th is because it starts off like a horror movie with the people going to a remote location. Instead of a wooded camp with teenagers we have a luxury house on a cliff with adults. But more Friday the 13th elements are there like drug use, breaking rules, late night party, shower scene (without nudity), creepy guy, etc. The movie even has a twist. However to get to the rest of the review I need to spoil the movie.

When the movie starts, they show a man and a woman looking at the luxury house. I thought they were married or a couple but they are business partners. It's one of those odd things in that some people say they don't understand relationships. But to me, only the wrong people get in relationships with people just for physical appearance. You have to have something in common. So after that first scene, the woman's boyfriend walks in and it's the other guy's brother. You can easily see where this is going. Anyway these three characters along with the first guy's wife decide to have a couples vacation at this luxury house.

The movie is basically a horror movie style relationship drama. The obvious happens. The wife goes to sleep early. The first guy's brother passes out. Late night drug use and a hot tub scene with the business partners who I thought were a couple at the beginning leads to a shower meet up. I guess some people like this sort of dramatic stuff and it's ok in the movie because it leads to something else. The house has hidden cameras! It's the part where I stopped watching the trailer.

The business partners are afraid that the video will be on the Internet I guess. So not only do they have to keep a secret but they want to get the video from the creepy rental guy. I'm not going to spoil that much more but things spiral out of control due to the brother and his tendencies as he just got out of jail for a college fight. Then that twist happens which made me think of Friday the 13th even more.

I was very interested in the movie. Could this be a modern Friday the 13th? The killer is acting like a modern Jason. But then it does something so many modern horror movies do. It turns the killer into the hero at the end. Now I get that the couples aren't the best people. The wife who brings the drugs. The ex-con brother. The two cheating business partners. The guy of which doesn't care about starting new relationships while being in a relationship. But still I was hoping for a final girl type setup or something new and different. There are some great funny and scary scenes late in the movie. But in the end, I was like ok. A sequel might work and make this a good double feature but the killer would easily get caught.

Still it's worth a rental or checking out on demand. It's a short movie. Also, the wife character was in Scream 4. She's pretty good in The Rental. I think she's kind of popular but I've only seen her in these two movies.