The Loved Ones

Discussion in 'General' started by x666x, Sep 14, 2009.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just saw this at TIFF.

A great film helping me get over Drama of the Dead from last night. This film did have somebody getting tied down and abused, which is overdone and usually poor in execution. This time however, it goes in a great direction. It does not evolve into a ridiculous explanation that I felt hampered Martyrs. Don't get me wrong, the first half or so of Martyrs is unbeatable, but the reveal? Come on.

The Loved Ones keeps it violent and nihilistic. All the characters involved were greatly acted and really interesting. They don't need horror royalty to sell it, because it is actually a great film. Crazy violent, excellent characters in written form and execution, and a diverse soundtrack that actually works during their required moments. Really helps redeem the abysmal, brand name, line up that threatens the genre of late.

Further, to make this less subjective, the audience reacted very well, also. More than one person said it was the best of the Midnight Madness films so far. Not that Survival of the Dead and Jennifer's Body is any competition. It may as well go up against Twilight, considering.

I don't know these guys but they are spot on:

http://www.thesubstream.com/video-mi...oved-ones.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the review x666x I'm looking forward to checking this out on Thursday. I thought the Daybreakers was very good so hearing it's the best if the Midnight films so far is saying something to me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

No problem. The girl in the photo was great in this film. Sadly, she was in a theatre production back in Australia, hence, not in attendance with the rest of them. I'll be very interested in your opinion on this flick.

I heard Daybreakers was good to great. We really messed up on not getting a ticket to see it. Wondering myself as to which is better, now.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this yesterday. It's pretty good but I think people are overatting this a bit. The film starts off fine and I had no problem with the characters. Once it gets into it's torture film element I couldn't help but thinking how unoriginal. LIke Rec though the last half hour was very well done and stops feeling redundant. I'm still not sure what the point of the sub plot with the friend and his date was and how it contributed to the film. Overall I would say I liked it but I do prefer last years Midnight Madness Australian film Acolytes.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I would agree with everything you say, except Acolytes being better. I really do wish people would knock it off with the torture. It is just not good horror. It's violent, but boring, and as you put it, unoriginal.

The side story does come together, if you recall. I think it played very well as comical relief, and unlike other films, it did do an alright job at the tie in. It also helps that she was hhhhhhhot.

Against Survival and Jen's Body, you have to understand why people love this so much. Mind you, everyone seemed to also like Daybreakers. Still bummed about not getting tickets for it.

Update: Loved Ones won Best Midnight Madness film. Second place was Daybreakers. Both beating out J'sB and SOTD. I love Toronto.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

According to facebook, the trailer will debut tomorrow.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Loved this! Get on it people! DVD and Blu out in the UK!

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Wow! Didn't know it was out on dvd. Thanks for the heads up, BloodMan. We really want to see this again.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught a screening of this at a local theatre on the weekend. A demented sucker-punch of a horror film with just the right amount of black comedy. If you get a chance to check it out, see it!

10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I picked up the German DVD for cheap. I really liked this one a lot. I was thinking how many movies do this sort of torture thing, but I felt THE LOVED ONES did it better than most.

11. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Really pleasant surprise! Just watched this, tonight. It was part of the Fright Fest season on the UK's Film Four channel a while back and it's been sitting on the hard drive awaiting a play.

Great black humour, well paced and with a few surprises - big thumbs up from me. I'm on a bit of a roll with Aussie horror at the moment - the movies from down under are really delivering the goods for me!

12. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Sean Byrnes' THE LOVED ONES (2009) finally makes its belated U.S. debut, courtesy of Paramount! Shy girl Lola wants a date to the prom. She has her eyes set on Brent, but to her dismay he's already committed. Jilted, Lola comes up with a new plan to make her prom the perfect night she's always envisioned... One of my favorite horrors from the past few years, this Australian import seems practically unknown on these shores -- a real shame. I'm sure some will be put off by its torture content (the movie's not afraid to get mean), but THE LOVED ONES offers an increasingly frantic escalation of deranged surprises that'd be a crime to miss.

Pre-order:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B008G1JIQC&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

Domestic trailer (don't watch the Australian one -- it's WAY too spoilerish):
    http://youtu.be/TBwd3Zl23HQ

[​IMG]

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

The cover is actually cool...

Wait! Did I read "Paramount" and "Unrated" in the same release???!!!
    That can only be a joke!

14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

No Blu?

15. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Yeah, I think Paramount dropped the ball on that one. I guess you'd have to import that sumbitch. There's a UK blu-ray, but it's region B locked.

16. bruce h

We definitely get shafted as far as Blus go here in the States. Some of my favorite horrors from the last several years -- INSIDE, MARTYRS, VINYAN, BLACK SHEEP, etc. -- all got skipped but are available overseas. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya'!

17. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Fucking Paramount...Why did they have to get a hold of this film?

If it were anyone else releasing this, we'd probably be getting a Blu.

18. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I should have grabbed the German blu when I had the chance. Will do next time.

19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Is 'Inside' on Blu, which country released this?

20. bruce h

INSIDE's on blu in Sweden, but it's not English friendly. No idea what the picture quality is like. There's also a Taiwanese blu that *does* have English subtitles, but it's apparently an upconvert.