The Hunt - Friday, March 13th

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Mar 9, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. Or at least I couldn't find one.

Blumhouse's The Hunt was scheduled to be released September 27th last fall, but after a string of mass shootings and the movie itself being called out by Trump, Blumhouse pulled the release of the movie.

They are finally releasing the movie on Friday, advertising itself on the controversy but scaling back on the TV / online ads.

Copyboy and fceurich39 like this.
  2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I have no interest in this one. Not for any political or moral reasons, just because I can't get through 10 seconds of the trailer without cringing.

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I think this one could be fun. I'll give it a shot, especially if I read some positive things

Copyboy likes this.
  4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I think this looks like it will be a LOT of fun. A mashup of The Most Dangerous Game and Severance, maybe?

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I had it on my list originally because Emma Roberts is in it. She's funny in Scream Queens and American Horror Story.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Love Emma. She's such a hottie. I'll watch this just for her, though it does look pretty entertaining in general lol.

7. CPT HOOK

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It starts pretty big then calms down a bit after the first half-hour or so, but I had fun from beginning to end. It was nice to see Blumhouse really go for the R-rating, it seems like it has been a long time since they've done that. It's nothing too crazy, but probably on par with something like The Belko Experiment as opposed to their more watered down efforts of the past several years.

The movie definitely takes jabs at both sides, but is especially critical of the far left. Which I found incredibly surprising, given that Blumhouse has made a name for themselves by cranking out liberal parables in the wake of Get Out. There was even a trailer for their new one before the movie titled Run Sweetheart Run, which looks very much in line with their recent Black Christmas remake.

Anyway, I'm sure there have been better Most Dangerous Game movies than this, but this one still holds its own. The cast in particular is a lot of fun, especially Betty Gilpin. She's great in general, I love her on GLOW, but she looks like she's having a lot of fun here.

Also, it's 90 minutes, so quick in and out. I thought it went by quickly. The longest part was the 30+ minutes of previews, many of which have already been cancelled (Antlers, The Lovebirds, etc).

fceurich39 likes this.
  8. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I think it is a shame that these films are being halted. Even though I do know they want to make money, a dvd release with a simultaneous pay per view premiere would be great for morale. Heck, I even think they should do it for the Broadway shows that got shuttered.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

AMC and Regal have announced they will cut their viewing capacity by 50%. I honestly can't remember the last time I went to the local 18 plex and was in a theater that was over half full. Generally I go on opening day and weekends when the crowds should be the largest. When I saw The Hunt today there were only about 10 other people in the audience.

10. CPT HOOK

Honestly, if there are no new release movies coming to theaters until at least April 10th (and even those might get delayed), I don't really see the point of theaters staying open. They should play until Thursday night, then close down until the next Friday that new movies are being released.

In the meantime, The Hunt is in theaters now. Up to the individual if they want to risk it, but so far there have been no cases anywhere near where I live. This was my last theater trip for a while anyway.

11. ImmortalSlasher

I went to a movie once and I believe I was the only person there.

12. CPT HOOK

This will be available on VOD this Friday for $19.99.

13. ImmortalSlasher

Ouch on that price. But I assume that's to own.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

No, that's rental price. These titles just opened theatrically and because of the pandemic and theatre shutdowns, these are considered premium VOD titles hence the price, so $19.99 for a 48-hour viewing rental.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Seems way too pricey for a rental. Going to the cinema is cheaper and they have the awesome setup. At least I can download them with this model.

16. ImmortalSlasher

That's too much. The most I've ever paid for an on demand rental is around $4.99 or $5.99. At best I would think $9.99 is fair for a family rental of a new movie. Maybe $11.99. $20 is a no go price for me.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Sure, compared to most VOD it may seem a bit pricey but the studios are trying to make up for their loss of revenue because these are first-run studio theatrical titles where each person would be paying ~$10 to see it in a cinema and the studios already forked over all the million on theatrical marketing. Streaming you're now paying one single price for a household/group of people which is cheaper than if you went to see it in the theatre. Hence why the higher price tag compared to normal VOD where those titles had already made money in theatrical/or were distributed digitally from the get-go without costly theatrical marketing campaigns. Most other VOD doesn't have to make up for that studio overhead.

18. ImmortalSlasher

True but it's still too much when you consider the cost of owning a movie. Few people will pay $20 to rent a so so movie. Studios know the good, big money making movies from the average ones. Those average ones should go on demand. The Marvel stuff and everything else can wait for the big theater audience.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed the movie, but the lead actress was weird, she kept pulling these really weird faces, it was quite off-putting. It took me out of the movie a few times it also set my mind off on possible twists because of it, but alas no.

20. ImmortalSlasher

I don't know who the lead is. But the movie seems to have a few good actresses that I recognize in it. And one that I know because of a nude scene posted on Egotastic. I stopped checking that site years ago when they started to include really crude click bait material. It was always a fairly garbage hype the actress site though.