The Golden Glove (2019) - German Serial Killer Film - Based on True Events

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Feb 6, 2020.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

Trailer:

The Golden Glove (German: Der Goldene Handschuh) (Dir: Fatih Akin) is an adaptation of Heinz Strunk’s eponymous novel and tells the story of the real-life German serial killer Fritz Honka who murdered four women between 1970 and 1975 and hid the parts of dead bodies in his apartment. The Golden Glove is named after the pub in the red-light district of Hamburg where the defaced alcoholic Honka met his victims.

It's been getting mixed reviews from critics (clearly because of it's subject matter) but I caught this theatrically last night and thought it was excellent, although it's far from enjoyable seeing as it's absolutely brutal, disturbing, and just reeks of ugliness and human suffering. This is the film The House That Jack Built wanted to be, but wasn't (for me), and hasn't really been nailed down since Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. It's harsh, mean-spirited, but extremely well-made featuring some amazing production design, strong performances, and despite the inhumanity on display there are some surprising moments of dark comedy that had me (and the rest of the audience) laughing out loud.

Not for the faint of heart but highly recommended!

sinister, Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this a lot, thanks for the write up MS.

For those interested, it will be available on Shudder on February 10th. :D

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This appears to have only been released to DVD here in the U.S. There is a German blu-ray available which has English subtitles. The German blu is listed as 110 minutes whereas IMDB lists the film at 115 minutes. The U.S. DVD is also listed as 110 minutes.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Damn, this looks really good! :eek:

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Pretty sure the IMDb runtime is incorrect (which I'd never trust as they can frequently be wrong or slightly off), or it's based off an unfinished festival screener runtime. Having seen it nothing at all appears cut and I can confirm it ran 110 minutes as it started right at 7 and I was home by 9, where my walk home is 10 mins from the theatre I saw it at.

6. sinister

sinister Active Member

Watched this tonight from a download of the BD and found it pretty disappointing.

As said, production design is outstanding, they really created the look of the sets and locations very well, but for me that was about all it had going for it. There's just no atmosphere, tension (well there's about 1 minute total at the very end) character development, interesting photography, soundtrack or dialogue at all. As for the violence, not particular well shot or anything too explicit or brutal. May be considered strong for a mainstream release (if that's what it was in Germany?) but for regulars here it's nothing special.

Scene after scene I just kept thinking this is exactly like the stuff you see in the bonus "extra features" where they show you scenes that were left on the cutting room floor 'cause they were ultimately pointless, didn't add anything to the story, destroyed the pacing or whatever.

It kinda reminded me of the far superior Tony - London Serial Killer from 2009, but at least that had decent characters, atmosphere and some tension.

Overall 5/10, interesting to watch once but nothing really outstanding other than the sets/locations.

Had never heard of this one so thanks for the heads up, just a shame I didn't like it as much as you did. :)

Colin likes this.