The First Purge - July 4th, 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 6, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Trailer:

I do enjoy how they trolled Trump with a commercial during the State Of The Union speech. :D

Based on the trailer, this looks like a step down from the last two entries. Maybe it's the lack of creative and colorful masks, this being the first purge and all? But hey, at least it's got Marisa Tomei!

These movies are fun, I'll be there opening weekend.

The Joker and fceurich39 like this.
  2. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I like the Purge series a lot. Not sure if this is a theater viewing for me but I'll definitely see it.

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

The Purge series is my least favorite recent horror series (aside from Paranormal Activity). The first is a home invasion movie, the second is a simple allegory (poor people are mistreated), and the third has too much camera mugging ("I want my candy bar"). I'll see the fourth one regardless, so I hope for my sake it's the best in the series.

4. CPT HOOK

Free hats, if anyone is interested: http://www.newfoundersamerica.org

Haven't had a chance to see this yet. It's playing in town, and living in a summer beach community, this is not the best week to drive in there. Should start clearing out tomorrow, I'll catch it this week.

I did see Adrift, Won't You Be My Neighbor, and Oceans Eight at the local theater this week though.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw the original Purge movie but skipped Anarchy and Election Year as they looked terrible. Went to see The First Purge only because I now have movie pass and feel like it's basically free to watch stuff I normally wouldn't. The film was pretty bad. None of the characters were likeable, there wasn't anything new, and it just wasn't entertaining. An interesting idea that should have ended with the first film.

6. CPT HOOK

I saw it this afternoon and agree it wasn't very good. It wasn't terrible or anything, and the finale was exciting (reminded me of Roberta Findlay's Tenement), but overall it was pretty meh. But hey, I finally got to see the Halloween trailer on the big screen. There's even a Halloween poster on display in The First Purge, and a teaser for the Purge TV series both before the movie and during the end credits, so I was having Blumhouse overload.

I rewatched the first three last week in preparation. The first movie has not held up AT ALL. In fact, it was pretty tough to sit through. Just an extremely tame and mediocre home invasion movie. On the other hand, Anarchy and Election Year held up extremely well. I may have even liked them more the second time around. Really fun action packed chase movies. Good stuff! In fact, before The First Purge entered the picture, this might be the only franchise where every entry is better than the one before.

I'd say The First Purge isn't as good as Anarchy or Election Year, but it's at least better than the first movie.

fceurich39 likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

Also, I forgot to mention, Melonie Diaz is in this movie, who is always a welcome presence, but I'm not really sure why she's here? There's a scene that sets her up as a character, and let's us know she'll be around during the purge. Then she completely vanishes from the movie. It was pretty baffling. Unless she was
    in the church or something
    and I missed her?

8. CPT HOOK

LOL, I got my hat on Saturday, opened it up, and thought "where TF am I ever going to wear this?" Most people will probably think it's a MAGA hat.

Cool movie collectible I guess? The "July 4th" etched into the back is a nice touch.

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I also got the hat even though I never saw the movie. I'm not a fan of the series at all - I saw part 3 because I forced my friend to watch something he wasn't interested in so he forced me to watch Purge 3 as payback. Actually, looking at my film tracking list it looks like the movie I wanted to see was Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates and I have no idea why I wanted to watch that other than that I think Anna Kendrick is hot. Purge 3 might've been the better movie there.

Anyway, Purge: Election Year was tolerable enough, but for me, it seems like a series where seeing one of them is enough. Not really interested in checking any more of them out. I'll probably give the hat to my friend, but I can't imagine anyone actually wearing this hat in public. Might be a good yard work hat, if you're going to be outside all day in your backyard where nobody will see you.