The Fanatic starring John Travolta any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Dec 14, 2019.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Trailers look insane anyone seen it?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I kind of loved it. Travolta's performance is totally insane (though probably offensive) and I found it wildly entertaining from beginning to end. I get why people are calling it a bad movie, but that doesn't mean it isn't a fun movie. That said, it does have a few cringe-worthy moments, such as Devon Sawa turning on Limp Bizkit in the car. I like these silly stalker thrillers, so I had a great time with it.

I also really liked the authentic Hollywood Blvd footage on display here. You would see it a lot throughout '80s movies, but you really don't see it so much in movies anymore post-Pretty Woman. That said, a majority of the movie was filmed in Alabama, and there's a scene at the end where they try to fake Hollywood Blvd in Alabama and fail miserably.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch it for free on their streaming service. I liked it so much that I ordered the blu-ray, which just arrived today. Haven't opened it up yet, but don't see any extras listed on the case. The SRP on this one is so low (I got it for $10 and it was just released this week), I'm surprised it even came with a slipcover:

IMG_20191214_142655.jpg
    IMG_20191214_142712.jpg

Gore Lunatic and fceurich39 like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's a weird one, John Travolta's acting I thought was fantastic, the Limp Biscuit scene is terrible and the ending was a massive WTF!!!! Definitely worth a watch.

fceurich39 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's a "so bad, it's good" movie.
    Travolta is basically going full retard in this one, and it's hilarious :D
    And, yes, the ending is pretty fucked up.

fceurich39 likes this.
  5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Got the DVD over the weekend from Walmart. I love this movie. John Travolta should get an Oscar. It probably is my new favorite Travolta movie. Dethroning Broken Arrow.

Gore Lunatic and CPT HOOK like this.
  6. sinister

sinister Active Member

I liked this too, had a kind of 80's horror sleaziness to it. Not one I'd watch again anytime soon but definitely entertaining to watch once. Would make a good double bill with One Hour Photo.

Thanks for the heads up, had read the reviews on IMDB and decided not to bother, but after the recommendations here gave it a watch and glad I did. :) 4.8 on IMDB is way too harsh IMO, a bit like "Desolate (2018)" which only rated 4.7 but I really liked.

Gore Lunatic and fceurich39 like this.
  7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

"All that money, no ice cream"

Hahahahhaha