The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It - June 4th

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 22, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Coming to theaters and HBO Max on June 4th.

studio1, buck135 and Steel76 like this.
  2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm done with this friggin "universe"

That trailer didn't do a whole lot for me. Probably 131 minutes long too.

Myron Breck likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Glad we can watch it at home, instead of a theater filled with annoying teen girls, screaming at every little noise :D

4. CPT HOOK

I enjoyed the first two Conjuring movies. It's the spin-offs that make me want to give up entirely on modern horror.

I haven't seen either since the theater. Might have to give them another look before this one.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. sade

sade Active Member

Makes me wanna go listen to The Haunted Made Me Do it

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

The few spin-offs I saw were horrible. But the main movies were pretty good. The first one was some of the most fun I've had in a theater. While the first film was admittedly only a decent pastiche with a few creative scares, I will always defend it for two reasons. For one, it's a surprisingly effective film considering how little violence there is in it and that no one gets killed. Overall, there's really just something classy about the movie. The second defense is really just how much fun it was to watch in a theater. While I will admit that as a jaded, cynical old fart, I didn't find it that terrifying. There were honestly people in the audience that were absolutely traumatized. There was a guy in front of me that was actually scared to tears. And, I gotta say that was really impressive. So, yeah, the first films were really well crafted thrill rides.

But, knowing that James Wan isn't involved with this latest one, or at least only provides a story outline or something minimal, does diminish my enthusiasm and does lead me to expect that this will be more like the spin-offs.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Like others, after the slew of terrible spin-offs it's hard to be excited for this new one. I'll definitely watch it and the trailer looked OK but I'm not excited for it.
    No James Wan is definitely working against it. I do enjoyed the first two movies.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Katatonia likes this.
  8. Steel76

I enjoy Annabelle 2 and 3, but the rest of the spin-offs are so forgettable, I forgot they even existed :D

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I enjoy the Conjure-verse, including the spin-offs. (Except La Llorona, that one blew.) So I'll see this new one.

I also have some young cousins who are all about the Conjuring and It movies. So it should be a fun time in the theater.

othervoice1 likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

This one is from the director of La Llorona.

11. Zombie Dude

I thought it was from the director of Annabelle Comes Home.

12. CPT HOOK

Pretty sure it's La Llorona?

Either way, it's from the director of some awful Conjuring spin-off.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

Apparently the same case was depicted in a 1983 made-for-TV movie called The Demon Murder Case. Kevin Bacon, Andy Griffith, Cloris Leachman, Richard Masur, etc.

Paff and Myron Breck like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Just looked into it and you're right. So weird because I swear it was the director of Annabelle Comes Home for the longest time.
    Well La Llorona was absolutely terrible outside of some cool visuals. So this does not bring confidence.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Steel76

Yeah, that makes me worried. I also thought it was the director of Annabelle 3...

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. Zombie Dude

I just re-visited The Conjuring 1 and 2 over the last two nights. I really enjoyed the first film. I don't find it that scary but it has a good atmosphere, imagery and themes. The sequel on the other hand I found myself not enjoying much and was checked out by the end. It's louder instead of smarter and feels overstuffed. I don't feel like the first film was stuffed with jump scares like this one is. Also wasn't feeling the nun aspect this time around either. Same with the Crooked Man. They have no place in what should be a more grounded ghost story.

17. CPT HOOK

^ I also revisited the first two movies recently for the first time since the theater. There have been so many abysmal spin-offs, I kind of forgot these two are actually good!

After seeing the sequel in the theater, I thought it was better than the first. I think I was just wooed by Patrick Wilson's Elvis performance.

Watching them now, I definitely thought the first movie was better. In fact, I thought the first was GREAT even. Holds its own with Amityville Horror.

As for the sequel, I somewhat agree but I also found it quite strong in spite of its issues. Watching it so soon after the first, it kind of feels like more of the same and it's a bit too long (the Warrens don't get involved until an hour into the movie). For what it is though, I do think it's effective and well-done.

Also, the location in the first movie is perfect (it was also used as Missy Egan's house in I Know What You Did Last Summer). The England townhouse in the sequel is a bit drab and boring.

These actually got me excited for the new one. I will never watch the wretched spin-offs again though.

SilentScreams and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. Zombie Dude

If the sequel had a tighter run time I think I would have enjoyed it more. Still not as much as the first film. I don't know if I'd care to watch it again as it is now. It's just too in your face a lot of the time, it comes off as trying too hard.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I've finally got into the Conjuring 1 and 2 thanks to Netflix - these are the most unscary movies I have ever seen. They're fun to watch as time wasters, though. Ask me if I remember anything though...

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    My thought exactly. I did like the 2nd one but they lost me with that silly cliffhanger and all that damn crying. I loved the Amityville sequence. Now THAT is one I'd love to see as a stand alone movie.

Zombie Dude likes this.