The Banana Splits Movie (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Jun 14, 2019.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

LOL, alrighty then. ..... I will watch this.

Copyboy, chancetx, Colin and 2 others like this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I, too, will watch this.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah saw the trailer this afternoon, I had to pinch myself, thought I was dreaming. Looks fun, I'm up for it.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Anyone know release date?

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Coming to Blu-Ray/DVD this Summer and premiering on SYFY later this year. Warner is releasing.

I'd imagine they're doing the same release strategy as Deep Blue Sea 2 and Critters Attack.

Deep Blue Sea 2 trailer - Jan 26th, 2018
    Blu-ray - April 17th, 2018

Critters Attack trailer - April 25th, 2019
    Blu-ray - July 23rd, 2019

The trend seems to be just under 3 months, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing the blu-ray in early September.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow it appears to be real. I'm surprised the Banana Splits property is now considered so worthless as to make a throw away horror films like this. After all it's conceivable that some less than observant parent is going to pick this up, throw it on the TV to babysit their kids and walk away without a second thought.

Warners came close to doing it with Scooby-Doo hiring James Gunn to write a R-rated stoner comedy which besides the swearing and overt pot use they even included several same sex kisses before they saw a rough cut of it, thought better of it, and did some reshoots to tone it back down. Would love to see that uncut! I wonder if Gunn can even sweet talk WB into releasing it while he's working on rebooting Suicide Squad. (Since he's going immediately back to Disney I kinda doubt it... But maybe to get him back the WB would...)

7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Holy shit this is amazing! I, too, am surprised a property from Hanna-Barbera would get such a treatment but kudos to whoever signed off on it.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I always KNEW there was something wrong with those freakin' things, even when I was eating Pop Tarts and drinking Cherry Kool -Aid, watching them scamper around on Saturday mornings ! And don't even get me started on H.R. PUFFNSTUF !

Mutilated Prey, baggio and Copyboy like this.
  9. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

This is BANANAS! I used to see old reruns of this after school when I was in the first grade and everything about it scared the hell out of me with the exception of the dog. He was the only one who didn't seem unstable to me. These guys and the cannibals on the Danger Island segments just about pushed me over the edge. And I couldn't even begin to wrap my head around the real kids of Huck Finn living in the cartoon landscape. I still remember one episode with a big red jewel that a cartoon character threw and Becky Thatcher caught a REAL JEWEL! That was just bonkers to me. I'm surprised I made it to the 2nd grade without losing my mind.

10. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I'm not in for this. Taking a kids property and turning it into something literally horrific, no thank you.

Mark my words, this will forever tarnish the Banana Splits' legacy.

Workshed and wago70 like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'd never even heard of the Banana Splits till now. I assume this is what Five Nights at Freddy's based on. I honestly thought this would be creepier after hearing some people talk about this, but this just looks silly.

12. Dianabol5mg

Dianabol5mg New Member

When I saw the trailer, it felt very Phantom of The Park(Kiss). I smiled. It even also feels Scooby Doo-ish and that's OK too. I'm in for this. Hopefully some rated R rated Sid and Marty Krofft stuff is on the way.

baggio likes this.
  13. Dianabol5mg

Dianabol5mg New Member

And as I do a little research, everything I mentioned is all tied in together, LOL. Phantom of the Park was created by Hanna Barbera, which in turn created The Banana Splits, whom also created Scooby Doo. Phantom of the Park was about the fake animatronic Kiss taking over for the original guys and destroying them and their reputations, causing a riot.. Then in 2015 we get Kiss and Scooby Doo teaming up in Rock in Roll Mystery in a Kiss theme park. Unbelievable, this has all been foretold.

baggio likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Blu-ray and DVD on August 27th.

banana-splits-blu.jpg

hots4 likes this.
  15. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The Banana Splits always freaked me out as a kid, looking totally off in a way that triggered my "you don't want to be alone with these creatures" way.

That someone else had a similar vibe and ran with it in a movie doesn't shock me.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yeah, this whole thing has always been creepy.

17. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

If they are gonna do this, they damn well better release the original series on dvd. And use the dickies cover of the theme song in the film.
    Btw, always loved the urban legend of Bob Marley's buffalo soldier having the same music as the splits theme as a possible side effect of watching afternoon cartoons while high during the time he worked in the US auto industry.