The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

What follows are done by trained professionals, don't try these at home. Ratings are out of ****.

10/19/19 - The Sadist (1963) **1/2
    Forced to stop at an isolated garage for repairs, a trio of teachers are held captive and tormented by a demented gunman.

Engaging, if not great low budget thriller with second string acting. The main heavy Arch Hall Junior overplays things with a squinty, leering, giggling, cretinous punk routine. It’s a performance fine for a villain biting the dirt at the start of a 50s TV western, but wears thin as the feature film length center of attention.

Granted, Hall puts in a major effort. The deficiency is clearly experience and skill, not aptitude. And he definitely has the mug for it, channeling that David Patrick Kelly vibe a couple decades early.

The desolate south western desert scenery elevates the proceedings, as does an inconsistent script that sometimes knocks the ball out of the park. The story defies period convention with the outcome for one of the protagonists, and the ending is novel if totally deux ex machina, making for distinctive if not high quality viewing.

10/20/19 - Phone (2002) **1/2
    Another Asian woman is tormented by a long haired ghost.

A journalist changes her phone number to avoid harassing calls after a publication puts several people in jail, and gets a harasser from the grave instead.

The film clearly takes cues from Ringu. Including when an innocent child gets pulled into the mayhem, by listening in on a weird call that turns her moody and violent.

As things go downhill, the journalist tracks down prior phone owners to the source, learning it's no accident her family is targeted. At which point the film takes a conventional but effective ghost driven murder mystery direction.

Like many Asian films of the type, the ghost is less sympathetic than its victims. In this case a jilted and vindictive underage girl, selfishly willing to destroy entire families to get what she thinks belongs to her.

The preposterous premise sets a hard handicap to overcome (seriously, a cursed cell phone number?). But this film manages to, barely, on the strength of solid acting (with a stand out performance by the child actor) and a competent script. Making for a gory, sordid, entertaining watch.

Burial Ground (1981) **
    Gathering at a chateau to learn what a professor has unearthed, three perpetually horny couples find out it's a zombie horde.

The film wastes little time starting the graveyard onslaught, delayed only by the characters boinking a few times as a substitute for exposition. Some effective but very inconsistent undead effects are on display, with inventively gruesome masks and hands mixed in with some "just slab some gunk on this guy and shove him in the scene" shots. Some conventions are up-ended, in this case the zombies are organized, use tools, and are even capable of scaling walls like lizards. They also somehow know to hang out around cars, just in case anyone gets the bright idea to drive away.

Unfortunately the heroes are less resourceful. Their first reactions include standing around accosting and hurling insults at the undead as they shamble closer. Or stand idle conjecturing on why it is happening. When the horde surrounds the building and pound at the doors, their first reaction is to go to the second floor and close the shutters. And having learned head shots work, they quickly fall back to ineffective body assaults.

Then there's the mansion staff who for some daft reason set a bear trap in the middle of the back yard. Unless we're expected to think the zombies did it, in which case they could have hid it a lot better. Then again, given the mental prowess of these "heroes", laying the trap in plain sight was good enough.

The film's creepiest element is the son with major (hot) mama issues. Amped on the weird-o-meter by the casting decision that a child actor wouldn't be creepy enough, let’s get a small stature creepy adult actor to play the mommy groping zombie snack.

Clearly apes the classic Zombie, right down to inferior renditions of the maggot faced rise from the earth and the eye gouging pull through the window scenes. And while Zombie has its flaws, it’s a cinematic landmark compared to Burial Ground. That said, this is still bloody (literally) good bad movie fun.

10/21/19 - 3 Dead Trick or Treaters (2016) ***
    A paper delivery man finds the graves of 3 missing kids behind a vacant house, with a story attached to each grave marker.

This is garage band film making - edgy, unpolished, abrasive, seizing your attention by the throat. The film is entirely without dialog, relying on unspoken cues and pre-determined motives to drive the action. The scene framing is particularly slick, as is the effectively subdued soundtrack. The stories are less stories than they are lead ups to acts of cruel butchery, with the framing story folding back in mid-film instead of the typical end of the anthology.

As a story it is particularly thin, and with almost no foundation. But as a visceral experience, a series of blood splattered sensory obscenities, the film shines.

2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 22

95. Prince of Darkness (1987) Blu - Seen this many times. This movie has some pretty creepy moments. Very effective. I remembered being fascinated with it back in the day due to the fact I am a big Alice Cooper fan. Obviously he is in it and has a track as well. Carpenter's score is effective as usual.

96. The Amityville Horror (1979) Blu - Another movie I have seen many times, but always enjoy. Nothing more I can add to this one as it is a classic at this point.

97. House on Haunted Hill (1959) Blu - Speaking of classics... part of the Vincent Price collection II and with a great cast. It also doesn't hurt to have William Castle in the mix as well. Good stuff!

98. Trilogy of Terror II (1996) Blu - Picked up the first movie last year and didn't realize there was a second until it was announced this year. Decent anthology movie. Just got it today and dove right in.

~Rocker10

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/21/19

BARON BLOOD (1972)

[​IMG]

American Peter Kleist (Antonio Cantafora) takes a vacation in Austria and meets up with Uncle Karl (Massimo Girotti), a well-connected professor. Peter is intrigued by his family tree. His ancestor Otto Von Kleist is the guy locals dubbed “Baron Blood.” What did he do to earn the title? Just the torture and murder of a great many villagers. Karl takes his nephew to the Baron’s castle. The dark roots are still evident, though changing times now threaten to convert the castle into a novelty hotel. Karl’s former student Eva (Elke Sommer) takes a liking to Peter. Together they read an incantation at the castle from a parchment found back in The States. Is it for real? What about the legend of the witch’s curse? This vacation is sure to have some lasting memories.

Baron Blood is my second favorite 70’s film from Mario Bava after Lisa and the Devil (1973). Spooky old castles always appealed to me and this one is spectacular. Aside from one shot of a Coca-Cola vending machine, the gothic atmosphere is consistent all the way down to the infamous torture dungeon. The young leads are adequate. Elke Sommer got even more to do in Lisa and the Devil the following year. Joseph Cotten makes the strongest impression with his mystery man millionaire, who might be able to save the hotel from turning into a tourist trap. The hanging scratched up portrait of Baron Blood with penetrating eyes is creepy and menacing.

For this latest revisit, I watched the longer export version from the Arrow Video Blu-ray release. Arrow has done some great work with Bava as I have many from their catalog. Baron Blood is appropriate viewing for colder Autumn nights.

Rocker10, Kim Bruun, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I think I kind of liked Inferno. I remember that one because it has the one of the cute girls from The Ring playing the hooker at the beginning. Also because Inferno kind of feels like a David Lynch movie. I know I saved the credits music. I remember comparing the music to something back when I reviewed all of the Hellraiser movies here a few years back.

5. ImmortalSlasher

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

Escape Room 2019 -

Escape Room.jpg

There are a few movies titled "Escape Room" but this review is the recent one from this year.

At the end of Escape Room, I thought it was obvious that they really liked Cube. Escape Room is almost the same sort of setup. But more modernized for the contemporary world I guess. They have almost the same type of characters too besides one missing character plotline. I should dislike a movie so lazy. Especially since I love Cube and that series. But Escape Room is an ok movie. I like the location and the design of the second and third escape areas. I guess they made it fast as I remember a 3D Cube reboot was supposed to be coming out.

The lead actress in Escape Room is pretty good. And the sequel setup is something I would like to see. Although I'm sure most would say the company shouldn't be rewarded for almost blatant copying of another movie. I did check the wiki and there are actual Escape Room theme locations. So I'm going to check out a few of those one day.

7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 22nd
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

56) Trilogy of Terror 2

57) Creepshow

58) Trick R’ Treat

8. KGBRadioMoskow

Given The Sentinel is on my watch pile for this marathon, I may have a kinky Beverly D'Angelo to add later.

"Mrs. Griswold, control yourself!"

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Good morning, Starshine

indrid13 and KGBRadioMoskow like this.
  10. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

Watched the Indicator Norman J Warren Blu Ray Boxset over the last few days.

41. Satans Slave (1976) First Time Watch

After the death of her parents in an car accident on the way to visit her Uncle , she is taken in by her Uncle and his Son , Unfortunately these two are both members of a satanic cult and plan to sacrifice her to resurrect an evil ancestor.

Not a lot happens for the first hour and meanders a lot leading up to the climax , but goes for it with a little twist in the last 5 minutes, Michael Gough adds a little bit of class to the proceedings and did enjoy my first taste of Norman J Warren. 3/5

42. Prey (1977) First Time Watch

An alien lands in the English Counrtyside on a scouting missing and ends up shacked up with two lesbians that harbour a deadly secret, thats the plot of the film in a nutshell. a combo of horror sci-fi and sexpoitation which gets very weird very quick.

Takes a bit of time to get going and can be a bit slow in places but it leads to bloody climax and attempts a nihilistic ending. The Alien make up is pretty poor and it ends up looking like a cheap knock off werewolf when he transforms and the scene where they dress him up in a dress and have a dinner party was pretty crazy. 3/5

43. Terror (1978) First Time Watch

The movie opens with a witch being burned and her putting a curse upon the ancestors of those involved , quickly jumps to the then present day and we find we have been watching a film being shown at a producers house. Starts off a slasher film when the production team of the movie start getting picked off one by one then shifts later in the film to a supenatural film with the witch from the beginning returning to get her revenge.

The like other films of his ,there is set pieces at regular intervals with not a lot of plot in between. Despite being really low budget this was well shot . 3/5

44. Inseminoid (1981)

Alien rip off featuring a team of scientific researchers unearthing an alien on one of the moons of jupiter which rapes and impregnates one of the female scientists , she then starts murdering her crewmates in an effort to protect her unborn.

There is a good amount of gore in this film and the killings are well done,The S.F.X are poor and on par with 70's Doctor who however the film moves along at a brisk pace and does not overstay its welcome. 3/5

45. Bloody new Year (1987)

A group of friends find themselves stuck on an island after the boat that they were sailing in sinks. The find an empty Hotel that looks like everybody just suddenly disappeared . The Hotel is haunted by the people who were caught in an experimental plane crash that was playing with space and time in an effort to make it invisible. The Friends get picked off one by one and return as ghosts who try and trap the others.

Tried to be clever with the time warp shenanigans but ended up being convulted and very confusing in what it was trying to say. Worst film of the boxset and dont think i will return to this anytime soon. 1/5

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 22 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    SEASON OF THE WHICH?: A film set around a holiday. No Halloween though, it's a challenge!
    I'd only seen the April Fools' Day remake once before. I didn't recall too much about it. I'd picked it up when I was going through a Scout Taylor-Compton phase after seeing the Halloween remake. April Fools' Day is just kind of there for me. I don't love it or hate it. Reminds me of one of those Lifetime movies involving a murder of some sort. Very made for TV looking. There's a few good intentional and unintentional laughs to be had.

[​IMG]

Afterwards I popped in some Flowers in The Attic. The April Fools' Day remake had made me think of those Lifetime V.C. Andrews adaptations. Which aren't that bad really. Looks really great on blu-ray. Was the first time I'd seen it in a lot of years. The film is sort of a guilty pleasure for me.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    hulkyduck, Colin, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #24:
    Uncle Sam (1996)
    Rewatch (Amazon Prime)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    22. SEASON OF THE WHICH?: A film set around a holiday. No Halloween though, it's a challenge!

Not on par with the Lustig/Cohen Maniac Cop collaborations, but this is still worth watching for the cast stacked with B movie favorites. On this viewing I noticed a lot of the violence occurs offscreen, the worst offender being the film cutting to black while you just hear the kill happening.

[​IMG]
    Movie #25:
    Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
    Rewatch (Shout! Factory DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    23. A DAY AT THE BEACH: Make sure to bring your trunks and your tanning butter.

Such a fun exploitation movie. A little setup, several nicely spaced out monster attacks (complete with random ventriloquist dummy looking around when no one is controlling him), and then a big finale at a carnival. And all in just 80 minutes!

hulkyduck, hots4, Kim Bruun and 5 others like this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

"What do you do for a living?"

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/22/19

THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE (1971)

[​IMG]

A group of travelers end up lost during a tour bus excursion. Doesn’t help that Matt the driver (Christian Maillet) is too busy eating when he should concentrate on their route. An utterly bizarre looking guy gives directions and suggests an old castle nearby owned by an alchemist, Baron Von Rhoneberg (Jean Servais). Met with no resistance upon their arrival, each guest is offered a room. Yet another lost soul comes to spend the night as well, a sexy redhead named Lisa Müller (Erika Blanc). Everyone gathers around for dinner with the Baron. Their host creeps them out while discussing a family curse. Who is foolish enough to expect a good night’s sleep?

The Devil’s Nightmare is an Italian & Belgian co-production with many cool selling points. The bus crowd are not included, as none have a likeable personality. Conveniently there are seven of them. Connecting each one of them to the seven deadly sins is easy. Watching them undone by their weaknesses keeps the story moving. The way I see it, there is always room for another atmospheric castle in gothic horror cinema. This one does not disappoint. Erika Blanc is the perfect casting choice for Lisa. Her wonderfully revealing outfit inspires all kinds of bad behavior. Her ability to instantly appear & disappear along with sudden beauty transformations keep Erika a deadly succubus. Daniel Emilfork is effective as Satan himself. He looks more like a sinister ghoul freak and doesn’t have to try hard to make your skin crawl. An eerie musical score completes the dark journey with some haunting female vocals.

I first saw The Devil’s Nightmare many years ago on a cheaply made public domain DVD. Mondo Macabro released this early in 2019 that still maintains a grindhouse quality presentation. That said, it’s a huge improvement over prior home video options. Whether you classify this as gothic horror or Euro trash is your own call. The Devil’s Nightmare is a tale that stays with you.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

17th - October Madness No.20 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 17 - EVIL IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: Scary stories aren't just for the night time.

[​IMG]
    The Wicker Man (1973) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5

One of the truly great British horror films. The Wicker Man has a policeman from the mainland travel to an isolated British isle in search of a missing girl, who then is faced with more than just an unsolved case but a case of his personal identity as a devout Christian being challenged by the isle community's Pagan values as they give him the run-around on not only the missing girl, but his clenched-tight morals and beliefs. Part folk-musical, part mystery, part tragi-comedy, The Wicker Man weaves a horrifying tale of the challenge of beliefs and closed-mindedness.

18th - October Madness No.21 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 18 - ONLY ON VHS: Watch something on the true psychotronic format. If you don't have a VCR, watching something with a VCR/VHS theme in it.

[​IMG]
    Femme Fatale (1990) - Rating: 1.5/5

Having mostly been watching horror films this month, decided to give my suspense/mystery VHS section a gander for this day as I have a good two shelves worth of not-on-DVD and yet-unwatched '90s thrillers. From the cover art and cast this one looked like it would be a bit more suspenseful and entertaining but as we all know with VHS - sometimes the cover art is better than the movie. As was the case with Femme Fatale, which turned out to be more of a drama with a slight hint of mystery, but far from the exciting thriller that was projected by the box and synopsis. Colin Firth has just married Lisa Zane's character, but 3 days into the marriage she vanishes with a letter stating "I don't know who your are", so Colin Firth travels from his cottage home to the big city to meet up with his friend/underground artist Billy Zane (Lisa Zane's brother in real life) to track her down. Along the way he finds out - spoiler (sorry/not sorry) - she's got multiple personality disorder and may have gotten in trouble with some drug dealers, which concludes with an outlandish over-the-top performance from Pat Skipper, and Colin Firth goes out on a limb to try and save her from herself. Yawn. Not worth rewinding!

19th - October Madness No.22 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 - VIDEO STORE DAY: This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you live in a place that is unfortunate enough not to have one of these archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivapyhsicalmedia

[​IMG]
    The Others (2001) - Rating: 3.5/5

I moved recently and discovered that the confectionary down the street from me still rents movies, and not only that but they still have some VHS to rent too! Sure, the entire rental selection ranges from the mid-90s to the mid-2000s but the fact that I STILL HAVE THE CHANGE TO RENT A VHS TAPE FROM A CONFECTIONARY IN 2019 IS AMAZING! So of course I rented a VHS, which was also one of the two titles that were horror-related in the entire video selection, and went with The Others (the other being Van Helsing). I'd never seen this one before, and somehow avoided knowing anything about it other than it was a ghost story with Nicole Kidman. While it definitely was following the trend at the times, I've got to admit it does have some good chills and thrills and I didn't fully guess the ending and for a family-safe horror film it's pretty good.

20th - October Madness No.23 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 20 - SUNDAY DINNER: From exceptional eating scenes to full on foodie fodder. Come hungry!

[​IMG]
    Cannibal Girls (1973) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

Ivan Reitman's first feature pits SCTV regulars Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin against a trio of small town Ontario cannibal girls and their Reverend leader. This hilarious horror spoof not only provides some fun cannibal kills and dinner parties along with the well-written jokes and gags, but aside from being a horror comedy is also just a plain successful little horror film. Watch this one with the gimmicky AIP "warning bell" audio track if you have the chance!

21st - October Madness No.24 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 21 - POWER PLANTS: One where the vegetation fights back.

[​IMG]
    Little Shop of Horrors (1986) - Rating: 3.5/5

Another first-time watch, Little Shop of Horrors is a truly fun horror-comedy-musical (based of the Off Broadway play based off the Corman picture) that's true star is the visual effects/puppetry for the amazing Audrey II design. The movement and authenticity brought out from the skills of the effects team, which of course under the direction of Frank Oz makes this truly exceptional, really breaths life into the killer man-eating plant that if this was re-done with CGI would lose every ounce of soul that's in the 'performance'.

22nd - October Madness No.25 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 22 - SEASON OF THE WHICH?: A film set around a holiday. No Halloween though, it's a challenge!

[​IMG]
    Bloody New Year (1986) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Norman J. Warren's final film is a far departure from his previous filmography in that it feels more like somebody's first film rather than a last film. Terribly edited and paced (as an example, people throw things to each other but the time it takes for the other person to catch them is twice as long as the action should take, among many more temporal inconsistencies, but potentially this is all intentional since the film plays with time itself?) and not all that coherently written, Bloody New Year can be a chore to get through for the uninitiated but upon every rewatch I find myself enthralled more and more by it's bizarre, technically unorthodox, and surreal approach. This tale about a group of young adults who get stranded on an isolated island with an abandoned hotel haunted by the guests of a 1959 New Year's Eve party that was accidently nuked into the no-where-zone via a failed government experiment is quite unique. There are some truly creepy moments and some inventive set-pieces, you just have to get around the choppiness of it all which could be difficult for some.

16. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 23

Kind of turned into a mad doctor type of day.

99. Re-Animator (1985) Blu - Fun movie with some crazy scenes after re-animation. Always liked this movie.

100. Bride of Re-Animator (1989) Prime - I'm pretty sure I own this sequel at least on DVD, but was too lazy to look for it. Grabbed a stream. Further twists on the original bring the dead back to life scenario. Similar to the first and gets really crazy as it gets to the end. I'll probably catch the 3rd movie as I have it as part of my Vestron Video collection.

101. The Neanderthal Man (1953) Blu - More doctors doing bad stuff to themselves. Kind of a boring movie with some really bad looking effects. The nostalgia factor is there. Kind of a time waster.

102. The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959) Blu - Liked this one better. Seen it a few times. I was a bit busy today and needed some shorter films.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, hots4, Colin and 4 others like this.
  17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 23rd
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

59) The Lighthouse: Set in 1890's New England, two man slowly succumb to madness on a remote island Lighthouse. "The Witch" director Robert Eggers comes out swinging here and delivers a true masterpiece. This was a beautiful and horrifying, nightmarish journey from start to finish and had me glued for the near two hour runtime. The visuals are atmospheric, the sound design and score near perfect, and the performances from Defoe and Pattinson carried the film nicely, each subtly trying to out due the other. A day later and I'm still reeling from what I saw and can't wait to see it again. A must watch! (9/10)

60) Hellraiser

61) Hellbound: Hellraiser II

62) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

23rd - October Madness No.26 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 23 - A DAY AT THE BEACH: Make sure to bring your trunks and your tanning butter.

[​IMG]
    Blood Beach (1980) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Blood Beach tries to do for the beach what Jaws did for the water, but mostly fails with varying results. While the film does positively keep the question of what is dragging people down under the sand of Venice beach a true mystery (other than a fun visual reveal in the final minutes), the clunky editing and revelations in the story and ending fail to fully mesh, leaving scenes feeling a bit underdeveloped and the pay-off at the end relegated to a very short and anti-climatic "big bang", which I guess grounds this one a bit more in reality than you'd expect from this kinda flick and works both for and against the picture. John Saxon seems to be phoning it in a bit though as the gruff chief of police, and Burt Young is simply Uncle Paully from Rocky playing a numbskull police sergeant which makes for some unintentional humour.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  19. KGBRadioMoskow

I've had more than a few "why isn't this on DVD" movies on my hit list that, when a disk version was finally released, I wondered if it had been worth the wait.

This is the only movie I can think of that I've waited so long, then weighed the film quality against the wait, that I've finally said "fuck it, this thing isn't worth the hassle". A modern media release should have happened over a decade ago - not because the movie particularly deserves it, but because its so marginal that capitalizing on its worth is something that would have been best done a long while back.

hulkyduck, hots4 and indrid13 like this.
  20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 23 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    A DAY AT THE BEACH: Be sure to bring your trunks and your tanning butter.
    The Flesh Eaters. A down on his luck charter pilot, a alcoholic actress and her assistant make an emergency landing on a small island. The only inhabitants are a shady marine biologist and a horde of flesh eating sea creatures.
    Written and story-boarded by one of the creators of the Doom Patrol. This '60's creature feature is a blast. With a band of quirky characters. An interesting monster, some early graphic gore effects and a very groovey beatnik make it a fun B-movie.

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, Colin, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.